Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: High Contrast + Hospital Records for Coachella 2011 (yes, this again)

Default Re: High Contrast + Hospital Records for Coachella 2011 (yes, this again)

LOL I haven't been to anything with Drum N Bass on the lineup in LONG time (Coachella was my first event that had ANY EDM at it in roughly six years) and it's funny that people STILL bitch about MC's today. I could go either way depending on my mood.

When I was on narcotics, anything sounded good... except Happy Hardcore.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Default Re: High Contrast + Hospital Records for Coachella 2011 (yes, this again)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Dubstep is just a novelty. It's the retarded cousin of drum n bass.

You hear that one dubstep track? It goes

BOOOOOOOOM, CHHHHH, WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA!

Oh yeah... that's EVERY dubstep track.
    I'm kinda curious to know what artists you are referring to when you state that every track sounds the same.

People are gonna continue to bitch about mc's because they fucking suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Every track sounds the same in the sense that there are very little dub-step artists that have like a distinct sound. For example, if I hear any EDM songs in that I am listening to for the first time I can usually make an educated and accurate guess as to which artist it is. With Dub-Step I dont know which track is by whoever the fuck.
    Also, have you ever even tried describing a dub-step song to someone? See if you can do that.

Dont really know if anyone feels the same way bout this though, juss my opinion
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

nah maybe i just listen to too much dubstep. i can tell what artist is what but to each their own. describing it tho is tough, ha ha
    the music is what its all about, you love it just like i love it.

i describe it as a robot banging a subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    For example, if I hear any EDM songs in that I am listening to for the first time I can usually make an educated and accurate guess as to which artist it is.
    For someone who can accurately guess what EDM artist they are listening to when a track drops for the first time I find it shocking that you can't tell the difference between Burial, Scuba, Boxcutter, Kryptic Minds, and Digital Mystikz. They each have very distinct sounds, IMO.

2-step rhythm, syncopated beats, minimal-dark textures, manipulated vocals, haunting, garage influence, deep dark bassline - this isn't so hard, guys. There's a lot of shit out there aside from a robot banging a sub.

You should describe a High Contrast track to me.
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I'm kinda curious to know what artists you are referring to when you state that every track sounds the same.

People are gonna continue to bitch about mc's because they fucking suck.
    Obviously, if we were to analyze the intricacies of any music we can find the differences between artists, tracks, styles, etc. BUT, I find the basic sound-structure of dubstep to be so overpowering compared to the rest of what's going on in the track that it drowns it out and it all virtually sounds the same to me.

It's the same thing with different types of hardcore to me (with the exception of happy, which makes me understand why people commit suicide).

For someone who can accurately guess what EDM artist they are listening to when a track drops for the first time I find it shocking that you can't tell the difference between Burial, Scuba, Boxcutter, Kryptic Minds, and Digital Mystikz. They each have very distinct sounds, IMO.

2-step rhythm, syncopated beats, minimal-dark textures, manipulated vocals, haunting, garage influence, deep dark bassline - this isn't so hard, guys. There's a lot of shit out there aside from a robot banging a sub.
    As I said, I dont listen to the genre enough, so thats the primary problem with me. Hell I dont even know any of those artists you just named me except for Kryptic Minds. However, tts only a matter of time before it breaks in with me because you just cant escape dub-step these days. That being said, for the time being I think it sucks and has no soul backing it.

Zeds Dead stands out too me as the best dub-step artists, and they do more than dub-step.

its fucking bomb

I mean its hard to describe over a computer, but if we were blazing in the cut and u put on a High Contrast song or a Nu:Tone song that I havent heard I would probably be able to guess it. Something with the melodies they use.

It's the same thing with different types of hardcore to me (with the exception of happy, which makes me understand why people commit suicide).
    I always thought that genre was more of a joke. I was shocked when I encountered people that actually like that shit. You probably have to be on a grip of meth for it to click
    Last edited by juloxx; 12-14-2010 at 10:06 AM.

You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Shit I mean look at this, I just searched a random dub-step artist and posted the first track by him on youtube

Does that not sound like every other fucking dub-step song ever?

I have even heard Skream songs I like but this was just an example of what im tryin to say

Oh god, Juloxx, that song is shit. Let me offer some links to something more pleasing to my ears. Expect a PM from me some time today.

Obviously, if we were to analyze the intricacies of any music we can find the differences between artists, tracks, styles, etc. BUT, I find the basic sound-structure of dubstep to be so overpowering compared to the rest of what's going on in the track that it drowns it out and it all virtually sounds the same to me.

This goes for any genre.* Especially a genre that a person doesn't know well or doesn't want to know. The wobble is what's getting fame, Rusko = Deadmau5 = Tiesto. I'm sure there's plenty of good house out there, but it doesn't get the playtime that deadmau5 does. And I'm sure there's decent trance somewhere, but it doesn't get the Tiesto fame.

know what I'm sayin?

Dubstep has plenty of gems, its just a matter of finding them.

*for instance, i couldn't recognize a certain metal song or a certain artist by their sound, or tell you who's "good" and who's not. not because metal is bad to me necessarily (although, I do have a distaste for a lot I've heard), it's just because i'm not familiar, so a lot of it sounds similar.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 12-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Let's not derail this thread with banter about dubstep, because that conversation never really comes to a compromise if people make generalizations and stick to them.

SIGNED I would love to see any of the artists from H.R.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    This goes for any genre.* Especially a genre that a person doesn't know well or doesn't want to know. The wobble is what's getting fame, Rusko = Deadmau5 = Tiesto. I'm sure there's plenty of good house out there, but it doesn't get the playtime that deadmau5 does. And I'm sure there's decent trance somewhere, but it doesn't get the Tiesto fame.

know what I'm sayin?

Dubstep has plenty of gems, its just a matter of finding them.

*for instance, i couldn't recognize a certain metal song or a certain artist by their sound, or tell you who's "good" and who's not. not because metal is bad to me necessarily (although, I do have a distaste for a lot I've heard), it's just because i'm not familiar, so a lot of it sounds similar.
    I am sure there is some good dubstep, but any time someone tries to introduce me to something "different", it all just ends up sounding the same.

I listened to both Skream and kode9 and it did very little to make me believe it's anything "better" or "different" than what I am hearing from people like Rusko.

There's no good trance, Zimmy. But thank you - I'm glad you understand where I was going with this.

Any of these guys please

Oh god, Juloxx, that song is shit. Let me offer some links to something more pleasing to my ears. Expect a PM from me some time today.
    and thats why I love saying I dis-like a specified genre. Because though it may make me look like a close-minded imbecile, it encourages true music fans to throw tracks at me until I change my mind. So send em my way I say!

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

My favorite description of drum & bass I have ever heard was Transformers having sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

There's no good trance, Zimmy. But thank you - I'm glad you understand where I was going with this.

Any of these guys please
    haha, yeah I know, I was just using it as an example. I didn't think there actually was any.

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    Transformers having sex.
    hot.

Juloxx - sent some tracks your way

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    My favorite description of drum & bass I have ever heard was Transformers having sex.
    datsik fits that description pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

The only problem being that datsik sucks compared to drum and bass

Quote Originally Posted by 303dubbin View Post
    The only problem being that datsik sucks compared to drum and bass
    i wouldn't call datsik a drum and bass artist so thats fine.

i do enjoy his tracks though.

I think what he means is that the description was used to describe dnb and Datsik is not dnb and in addition to not being a dnb artist he sucks.

^ pretty much hit the nail on the head with that.

BREAKING DNB NEWS!!! HIGH CONTRAST IN THE STATES MARCH & APRIL!!!!
    http://twitter.com/linkcontrast
    AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

I have a boner

Quote Originally Posted by bobchella View Post
    BREAKING DNB NEWS!!! HIGH CONTRAST IN THE STATES MARCH & APRIL!!!!
    http://twitter.com/linkcontrast
    AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Soooo, how would he NOT be on the lineup? This would be spectacular.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 12-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.

wonderful. made my day

I think what he means is that the description was used to describe dnb and Datsik is not dnb and in addition to not being a dnb artist he sucks.
    i understood what he meant. my original reply was intended to show i feel datsik's output as an artist more accurately reflected the statement. i don't recall making any kind of link between datsik and "drum and bass" other than the description's original usage. *shrug*

breaking news to me will be dates and locations. some of us were pretty certain of spring time shows for HC. He will be at either Beyond or Coachella.

*denver* (crosses fingers)