Page 28 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Rumored/not really Confirmed Bands for Coachella 2011

Default Re: List of Rumored/not really Confirmed Bands for Coachella 2011

I understand if you don't like The White Stripes. Or The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather.

But doubting his skills on a guitar is just ignorance. Plain and simple.
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

I'dDoItAllAgain

Raconteurs are the sh!t.

Really bummed. Belle & Sebastian won't be there.

From their website, tour dates:
    April 15th: MUNICH, Muffathalle
    April 16th: VIENNA, Gasometer
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Crazy. B&S seemed like a given. Almost had them in my pool.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

How come The Twelves and TOKiMONSTA aren't on the first page?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

old school

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Well here's one act that WON'T be there

Captain Beefheart Dead At Age 69

Don Van Vliet, who became a rock legend as Captain Beefheart, died today from complications from multiple sclerosis in California. His passing was announced by the New York-based Michael Werner Gallery, which represented his work as a painter.

His Trout Mask Replica was Number 58 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

"Don Van Vliet was a complex and influential figure in the visual and performing arts," the gallery said in a statement. "He is perhaps best known as the incomparable Captain Beefheart who, together with his Magic Band, rose to prominence in the 1960s with a totally unique style of blues-inspired, experimental rock & roll. This would ultimately secure Van Vliet's place in music history as one of the most original recording artists of his time. After two decades in the spotlight as an avant-garde composer and performer, Van Vliet retired from performing to devote himself wholeheartedly to painting and drawing. Like his music, Van Vliet's lush paintings are the product of a truly rare and unique vision."
    Fuck

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Don't talk to me about guitars or guitarists. You will lose this battle.
    Ha, you have it backwards, chief. You stated Jack White was a 'guitar god', yes? I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    The White Stripes make great records. Jack is just polarizing for whatever reason. I guarantee you Jimmy Page has ripped off more musicians than Jack White ever has.
    To each their own, Fax.

Still, practically everyone knows Page (along with a slew of other greats) effectively ripped off blues/rock guitarists like B.B. King, Muddy Waters and Elvis - but Jimmy Page also helped pioneer hardrock/metal. Jack White didn't usher in a new kind of music with his guitar playing, his songs aren't particularly difficult to play and he hasn't had a any significant influence on rock music other than being the impetus behind a bunch of third-rate garage rock bands trying to revive what the MC5 and the Stooges already did.

This notion that Jack White is a god is clearly the result of superficial fixation. If Billy Corgan had a full head of hair and perhaps wasn't such a fucking tool, I'm sure there would be people hailing him a guitar god as well - even though he did tastefully rip off Brian May, Hendrix and is widely respected by guitarists (and rightfully so).

You know what is silly, Fax? Putting Jack White in the same sentence as Jimmy Page.

Got 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    To each their own, Fax.

Still, practically everyone knows Page (along with a slew of other greats) effectively ripped off blues/rock guitarists like B.B. King, Muddy Waters and Elvis - but Jimmy Page also helped pioneer hardrock/metal. Jack White didn't usher in a new kind of music with his guitar playing, his songs aren't particularly difficult to play and he hasn't had a any significant influence on rock music other than being the impetus behind a bunch of third-rate garage rock bands trying to revive what the MC5 and the Stooges already did.
    Yep, yep, all of this. Jack White came onto the scene when people were looking for the next big thing. He was in the right place at the right time. His music is good, don't me wrong, I like the White Stripes. But they're massively overrated.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I think The Black Keys will be night time/sunset on the mainstage.

What he said. I know Vancouver isn't LA/Coachella... but in October The Black Keys played a 2,300 seat theatre, tickets went on sale a few months prior, but sold out in under 10 minutes. Tickets were $50 and the day of the show, scalpers were charging $250 a ticket and people were buying. In comparison, Interpol is playing the same 2,300 theatre here in January. 2 days after tickets went on sale there were still Orchestra tickets available. Tickets have been on sale for a month now and are still not sold out. Like I said, I know Vancouver isn't LA/Coachella, but as Gribbz said, The Black Keys are playing bigger and bigger venues, as Interpol's venues get smaller.

In my perfect world, The Black Keys would be the main sub to The White Stripes.
    Ah Rage, I concur 125%. This is all sorts of good things. Seems like some of the best performances are the outdoor theatre at sunset. I still have Passion Pit and Phoenix pulling incredible performances during that time slot. Black Keys in this time slot on Outdoor = Jizz in my pants.

FYI, fan of the TBK since The big come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

Leave obzen alone.
    CRUSHING BLOWS...

Ha, you have it backwards, chief. You stated Jack White was a 'guitar god', yes? I rest my case.

To each their own, Fax.

This notion that Jack White is a god is clearly the result of superficial fixation. If Billy Corgan had a full head of hair and perhaps wasn't such a fucking tool, I'm sure there would be people hailing him a guitar god as well - even though he did tastefully rip off Brian May, Hendrix and is widely respected by guitarists (and rightfully so).

You know what is silly, Fax? Putting Jack White in the same sentence as Jimmy Page.
    you know whats silly Obzen, putting Jack White and Jimmy Page in the same guitar documentary.

oh wait....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

hahahahahhaha
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    You're Dumb.

Jack White didn't usher in a new kind of music with his guitar playing,

No, he didn't. He revived a classic form of guitar playing and twisted it with his own demented shit. & it fucking worked. The same way Page did it. The same way a lot of very influential guitarists did.

The fact of the matter is Jack White will eventually be up in the same ranks as Jimmy Page. In fact, he already is. Jack White is NOT The White Stripes. That's what you don't seem to understand. He's not going to be remembered for just being the singer of that band, he's going to be remembered as fucking JACK WHITE.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jack is better than Page. But to ignorantly disregard all of White's stuff is just blasphemy to the art of guitar playing.

& yeah, it's extremely silly to put Jimmy Page's "hero to all guitarists" in the same sentence as Jimmy Page himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yep, yep, all of this. Jack White came onto the scene when people were looking for the next big thing. He was in the right place at the right time. His music is good, don't me wrong, I like the White Stripes. But they're massively overrated.
    The White Stripes aren't the only reason he's famous. He didn't even garner this title of "guitar god" from his stuff with the White Stripes. Guitarists love for him goes WAY past The White Stripes. It's really so much more. Take a look at his upcoming show with Wanda Jackson at the El Rey. It sold out in less than an hour, and that's not a White Stripes show. He will not be playing any White Stripes material, or even any Dead Weather or Raconteurs stuff. Instead, he'll be playing someone else's material, and people want to be there to hear it. Why? I think all of you can figure it out for yourselves.
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA

No, he didn't. He revived a classic form of guitar playing and twisted it with his own demented shit. & it fucking worked. The same way Page did it. The same way a lot of very influential guitarists did.

The fact of the matter is Jack White will eventually be up in the same ranks as Jimmy Page. In fact, he already is. Jack White is NOT The White Stripes. That's what you don't seem to understand. He's not going to be remembered for just being the singer of that band, he's going to be remembered as fucking JACK WHITE.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jack is better than Page. But to ignorantly disregard all of White's stuff is just blasphemy to the art of guitar playing.

& yeah, it's extremely silly to put Jimmy Page's "hero to all guitarists" in the same sentence as Jimmy Page himself.

I have to agree with that. My buddy teaches High School Guitar and when he asked his students this year for their guitar hero, Jack White and Matt Bellamy were the most popular answers.
    But I have to say Jack White has a unique visceral style that is instantly identifiable. Rare you see a poll of best guitarists ever without Jack White on it. He might not be the best ever, but he is pretty good.

RIP Beefheart, I played a show tonight and gave a little eulogy for him.
    12/6: Japandroids/DIIV
    1/10: Mister Lies/Matthewdavid

The murder capital where we murder for capital

crushing blows

The fact of the matter is Jack White will eventually be up in the same ranks as Jimmy Page. In fact, he already is.
    Homeboy, you're some ol funny ass shit.

Where do I start? Frankly, your argument comes across as rather sophomoric and you even manage yourself to acknowledge that Jack White 'revives' an established approach of guitar playing, yet it doesn't go beyond that (and neither does your elucidation for that matter); White didn't create any new rock or blues (sub)genre. Granted, to a given listener he (like any other respectable guitarist) may pen songs that bristle with a few of his little indiosyncrasies here and there which make his sound somewhat distinctive but his music didn't truly change rock and roll (it was garage rock revival in the late 90's that helped him and others break big on the radio over night), not in the same sense that Jimmy Page's music did; it's not even close. Besides, Jimmy Page isn't just any influential guitarist - his innovative approach to blues rock in effect helped spawn metal, if you like guitar(ist)s you really should learn about it.

In any case event, to claim Jack White 'twisted' blues/rock up and pioneered a sub-genre (a la Jimmy Page) is just misguided. Nothing has evolved from the kind of music he plays and to be honest, I feel he has already peaked himself out.

I know, why don't you name all these great guitarists that Jack White inspired to pick up a guitar since 1999 and then look at all the guitarists that Page inspired since the 60's. Then ask yourself if you really believe Jack White is 'in the same ranks' as Page, because you're definitely not selling me any of that noise.

And then, and then, and then, and then, and then, and then...

You are comparing a guy who has been able to "inspire" others for 11 years to a guy who has been doing it for 50 years, while putting the first guy (11 years) down for not being able to reach as many people during the aforementioned times frames.

Pretty bogus argument. My two cents.
    Facebook | Twitter | Last.fm | YouTube

Coachella '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Xbox Live GT: iEy3con | Top 5 Call of Duty Clan: Semper Fi

Nope. First of all, I'm not the one who brought Jimmy Page into the discussion.

Furthermore, I'm not knocking Jack White because he hasn't been able to inspire as many prolific musicians (in a shorter timespan) as Jimmy Page, but rather because Jack White is simply overrated (he's not a 'guitar god' as one fan put it) and he's not the innovator that Jimmy Page was which is what those same individuals here are implying.

Also, in the latter part of my previous post, I was emphasizing Page's long-standing influence as a guitarist since the early eras of rock in order to bring some perspective to some of the more overzealous Jack White patrons who seem to think that he's the second coming of Elvis; believing that Jack White is at the 'same ranks' as Jimmy Page comes off as a little desperate.

Pretty bias two cents there, bud.

Q: Please tell us you're playing some US dates--hopefully Coachella?
    A: I'd like to tell you we are but at present I can't. Hopefully we will soon.

Cheers.
    Answered on 12/17/2010 by Blancmange
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Nope. First of all, I'm not the one who brought Jimmy Page into the discussion.

Furthermore, I'm not knocking Jack White because he hasn't been able to inspire as many prolific musicians (in a shorter timespan) as Jimmy Page, but rather because Jack White is simply overrated (he's not a 'guitar god' as one fan put it) and he's not the innovator that Jimmy Page was which is what those same individuals here are implying.

Also, in the latter part of my previous post, I was emphasizing Page's long-standing influence as a guitarist since the early eras of rock in order to bring some perspective to some of the more overzealous Jack White patrons who seem to think that he's the second coming of Elvis; believing that Jack White is at the 'same ranks' as Jimmy Page comes off as a little desperate.

Pretty bias two cents there, bud.
    once again.... please shut up...!!!

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

just thought about this a bit
    i think 3 headliners will be system of a down, kanye west, arcade fire
    dony know why, just think thats it

go back and rethink

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    once again.... please shut up...!!!

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/
    Hahahaha, so this is where you learn about playing the guitar, a rock doc.

Lame, no wonder you don't get it.

Omg Jack White appears in the same doc, and that Jimmy Page character even said some nice things about Jack White on it, that must automatically vaunt White to the same level as one of the most influential guitarists ever - is that how your logic bullshit works? I don't buy any of that so you should stop selling it. It'd be like saying, KRS-ONE is just as significant to hip-hop as Afrika Bambaataa because they're both in the Summer Of 77. It doesn't work like that, most docs are a dog and pony show anyways so...try again.

Oh, but I'd still like to hear who these guitarists are that place White on the same pedestal that you people seem to be placing him on...

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

It'd be like saying, KRS-ONE is just as significant to hip-hop as Afrika Bambaataa because they're both in the Summer Of 77.
    But he is.......
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Damn you...

White didn't create any new rock or blues (sub)genre. Granted, to a given listener he (like any other respectable guitarist) may pen songs that bristle with a few of his little indiosyncrasies here and there which make his sound somewhat distinctive but his music didn't truly change rock and roll (it was garage rock revival in the late 90's that helped him and others break big on the radio over night), not in the same sense that Jimmy Page's music did; it's not even close. Besides, Jimmy Page isn't just any influential guitarist - his innovative approach to blues rock in effect helped spawn metal, if you like guitar(ist)s you really should learn about it.
    Ey3con took care of this one. & you need to stop throwing these Jimmy Page "facts" around. You act as if I don't know. In no way have I discredited any of Page's work or influence in the music world, I don't know why you keep blabbing on as if anyone this thread has.

I know, why don't you name all these great guitarists that Jack White inspired to pick up a guitar since 1999 and then look at all the guitarists that Page inspired since the 60's. Then ask yourself if you really believe Jack White is 'in the same ranks' as Page, because you're definitely not selling me any of that noise.
    This just goes back to the previous argument of time frames. It's been 11 years. Is that enough time? Of course it's not. But he's influenced tons of emerging musicians everywhere. Children learning guitar, and young adults in their early 20's who have been playing for years, including myself. Not just me, but tons of people I know and play music. & these musicians are the ones that will ring in the new era of music. In 10-20 years, we'll be seeing Jack's name A LOT more than we're seeing it now. The same way Gilmour's name is out there now. The same way Hendrix, B.B. King, Clapton, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Santana and so many more are out there.

But how bout this? Why don't I name artists, who have already made their name in music, that love what Jack has done so much that they've even collaborated with him and in some cases insisted he come on stage and perform with them... Hmm, let's see:

Bob Dylan
    Jeff Beck
    The Rolling Stones
    Beck

Should I go on? Oh yeah, Jimmy Page fancy's him too. I'm sure these guys know about the world of guitar playing.
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA

fellas...this is really fucking boring now. if you wanna keep measuring dicks, why don't you start a new thread.....please.

I'll be glad to bring out my SG and Big Muff and finish this on the stage.
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 Salva @ TBA