Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do people not understand 75,000 people

Default Re: Do people not understand 75,000 people

We agree to disagree then. I liked it much better with less people, anybody that went pre-2004 will agree on this. The ability to see more, and to see more of, the artists was one of Coachella's big draws, now it's more like ACL or Lollapalooza. Way overcrowded, less art, less comfortable.

The "vibes" you speak of are a personal thing sure, but the reality is there were too many people there. While you had a good time and good views, not everyone was so lucky. The reason, just too many people.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped.
    there was, between the gobi and mojave.

I can't believe the change between 2005 and 2010. I use to be able to easily go into the Mohave or to the outside stage and just enjoy the band, but now it has turned into a little war at every stage. I even, for the first time, almost got into a few fights because i couldn't take the "relax dude" attitude from some asshole that was begging to get punched. I even had to throw some asshole to the ground after he started to crowd surf at PIL, and he almost laded on my wife's head.
    The one word for Coachella 2010 is CLUSTERFUCK. And I have said, as have my friends who go with me, that next year if there are more than 60,000 people, and its like this, it will be my last Coachella.
    However, i am a realist, and I know know that they have decided to sell 75,000, they will not go back.
    The best festival on the planet, has become just another LOLLAPALOOZA.
    Fuck...I loved this week every year, and now it has been ruined by
    GREED.

Lurker

"The best festival on the planet"??? Bwahahahaha. Get out much?

Any time you have conditions where to see an act it is sardine-land with wall-to-wall people, it's too crowded. Period. It doesn't matter if it's at Coachella or Bonaroo or the DEMF or overseas at Sónar or Glastonbury or Benicassim or T In The Park or <insert festival here>

Yeah I'd bet that there was at least 10-15 K more people on any given moment during the weekend than 75,000. I saw way too many people walking around with out wristbands or phoney ones or people just covering their wrists. 75 K is always too much for the polo fields now tack on 10 -15 percent of people sneaking in and presto..clusterfuck city..I would of been cool with it ..if most of the people doin it weren't complete douchebags, but unfortunately, most I saw were of the "bro" types.

I found this tidbit through mydesertsun.com report on Sly which makes me think changes will be coming next year:

He [Paul Tollett] said he'd faced more adversity with this Coachella than any other. I asked him about reports that 10,000 counterfeit wristbands had been distributed, which must have contributed to the confusions and delays getting in, but he only said, “You know I'm not good with numbers.
    10, 000 fake wristbands..Wowza..plus the amount of gatecrashers ( knew a few personally who snuck in very easily)..I am willing to bet this was somewhere more in the range of 85 - 95 K .
    Coachella 01' - 13' and still counting..... 13th year!!!! Geez, I'm getting old..

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by jtovar21 View Post
    I would of [sic] been cool with it ..if most of the people doin it weren't complete douchebags, but unfortunately, most I saw were of the "bro" types.
    "Coachella - Spring Break for Hipsters" - seen on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    there was, between the gobi and mojave.
    I think that was an exit, rather than an entry point - and was only opened late on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped. during the peak times, or better yet, the whole time. Had there been some type of disaster or panic inducing occurance this weekend, there would have only been one way out...for 75,000 people? I don't fucking think so. And we all know that had there been an occurance, the security wouldn't have made anyone feel more secure,nor been able to control the riot and panic that would have occurred. Shame on GV for not having a plan B to accomodate the unexpected.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there would have been a stampede if there had been an earthquake and I'd probably be injured or dead because of some dumbass not realizing that as long as nothing is about to fall on you, you shouldn't move during an earthquake. It's bad enough people trampled down fences just to get out at the end of the night, but during an earthquake? I'm terrified to see what would happen.

Oh, and to the OP, I've been on the 10 in downtown LA at 5pm on a Friday before a Holiday weekend, and I would have preferred that traffic to the Coachella traffic. I'm pretty sure 4 million people generate a lot more traffic than 75k, especially when 8,000 cars (with 2-6 people each) were staying in the campgrounds.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I think that was an exit, rather than an entry point - and was only opened late on.
    nope, it was open all day from what i saw. it was the entrance from the handicapped parking lot.

You people saying Coachella was overcrowded and how that runied it for you need to please STFU. Try going to EDC, Monster Massive, or TAO, now that shit is overcrowded. I had plenty of room to dance and get close enough to see the acts I wanted to see. Everybody just needs to stop bitching and get over it, and if you dont like it just dont come next year, then there will be even more room for me to dance (even though I already had enough room this past year).

Dude. If they don't enjoy crowding, why would they want to go to another festival that has crowding just to see other examples of crowding?

It's not about other festivals. People liked Coachella for setting itself apart from them.

You're trying to reason with a Yeti.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Banned

I find this funny. A lot of people already knew prior to Coachella that Goldenvoice was allowed to sell 85,000 tickets, but Tollett capped it at 75,000. The only day I ever had a hard time getting in was of course Friday, and parking was the only thing to complain about, yet it was expected. Everbody complaining about the amount of people at Coachella, do yourself and everybody else a favor and just stay home next year, that way there's nothing to bitch about. Peace.

old school

I dont get it.

Did you know bees and dogs can smell fear?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

old school

Quote Originally Posted by digitalmau5 View Post
    You people saying Coachella was overcrowded and how that runied it for you need to please STFU. Try going to EDC, Monster Massive, or TAO, now that shit is overcrowded. I had plenty of room to dance and get close enough to see the acts I wanted to see. Everybody just needs to stop bitching and get over it, and if you dont like it just dont come next year, then there will be even more room for me to dance (even though I already had enough room this past year).
    you fucking moron. coachella is not some stupid rave. YOU are one of the main reasons coachella isn't what it once was. go fuck yourself.

p.s. Do you think he'll get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
    I find this funny. A lot of people already knew prior to Coachella that Goldenvoice was allowed to sell 85,000 tickets, but Tollett capped it at 75,000. .
    Hey, what a surprise. You're wrong.

wasn't the gate between mojave/gobi only an entry/exit for the assorted cloth wristbands? -
    and
    the artist/crew numbers were cut last minute, so if you had put in for 12, they came back with 4. no explanation.
    we ran our project at times over by the ferris wheel, and fri/sat nights got our van pelted with fruits lobbed over the hedges, some dents, lucky windows didnt break....there were bum rushes a plenty over there, most running straight into the back of a wall of portas.

my favorite was actually last year though, when some overdressed hotness says to us by the entrance: "we'll do anything if you can get us in", to which we replied: "we need some holes dug, how are you with shovels"?

so i guess i dont understand people, let alone 75,000+ of them.

old school

More

than 75,000
    p eop le
    dont unders
    stand sentence struc

ture.

I'd dig a hole for free entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd™ View Post
    "The best festival on the planet"??? Bwahahahaha. Get out much?

Any time you have conditions where to see an act it is sardine-land with wall-to-wall people, it's too crowded. Period. It doesn't matter if it's at Coachella or Bonaroo or the DEMF or overseas at Sónar or Glastonbury or Benicassim or T In The Park or <insert festival here>
    I have been to many festivals all over the world and Coachella is definitely one of the best.
    No one cares what shows you've seen, are currently seeing or are going to see!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    you fucking moron. coachella is not some stupid rave. YOU are one of the main reasons coachella isn't what it once was. go fuck yourself.

p.s. Do you think he'll get it now?
    You are a dumbass POS. Its a fucking music festival. If anything, more people should be expected at Coachella given that there are a lot more variety of people that show up there (not your typical teen that wears kandi that show up to raves). You are one of those people that are always bitching and never happy. Please stfu and get over it, and if not just dont go next year douche.

This endless boosterism for a commercial product is weird, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

You should see the nike swoosh on the back of my lowrider pick-up. Its chingaso.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalmau5 View Post
    You are a dumbass POS. Its a fucking music festival. If anything, more people should be expected at Coachella given that there are a lot more variety of people that show up there (not your typical teen that wears kandi that show up to raves). You are one of those people that are always bitching and never happy. Please stfu and get over it, and if not just dont go next year douche.
    Well, I agree with the person you are responding to, and Coachella was the happiest place in the universe for me. If people like you keep showing up and wanting more attendance, I won't have my happy, care-free Coachella anymore. I believe this is the problem most returning coachella attendees had this year. If this was your first year, then no one really cares about your opinion with all the changes the festival saw, because you don't know how it used to be. So you, please, "stfu and get over it," we want our festival back.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by eskamo951 View Post
    Well, I agree with the person you are responding to, and Coachella was the happiest place in the universe for me. If people like you keep showing up and wanting more attendance, I won't have my happy, care-free Coachella anymore. I believe this is the problem most returning coachella attendees had this year. If this was your first year, then no one really cares about your opinion with all the changes the festival saw, because you don't know how it used to be. So you, please, "stfu and get over it," we want our festival back.
    ^^This

was it this year that saw the start of massive amounts of people sneaking in ?

I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped. during the peak times, or better yet, the whole time. Had there been some type of disaster or panic inducing occurance this weekend, there would have only been one way out...for 75,000 people? I don't fucking think so. And we all know that had there been an occurance, the security wouldn't have made anyone feel more secure,nor been able to control the riot and panic that would have occurred. Shame on GV for not having a plan B to accomodate the unexpected.
    Realistically, if some sort of panic inducing occurence WERE to take place and 85,000+ people start running, I don't care if there are 40 exits from the Polo grounds, everyone of them would be a bottle neck and thousands would be trampled.

Unfortunately there's really no way around that in such massive crowds...God forbid anything like that ever happen.
    Without music, life would be a mistake.... I would only believe in a God who knew how to dance - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    was it this year that saw the start of massive amounts of people sneaking in ?
    Yes, people always managed to get in, but we also saw people getting caught . . . a lot. Somebody said somewhere about those fences by the bikes? Half of them were completely pulled forward. That area is right by the entrance and very well lit. Nobody cared.