Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gorillaz...

Default Gorillaz...

You know, lots of people are complaining about the Gorillaz this year. Give them a break! They were headlining and only had 90 min to play. They were probably going to end with Dare, but Shaun Ryder couldn't make it because of the volcano.
    Personally, I thought it was the greatest show of my life, but that's also because I'm a die-hard Gorillaz fan and i was in the front row.
    They broke character, so what? The point of the Gorillaz is not the 'characters' but it's the MUSIC that they want to elaborate on. Plus, for the Gorillaz to be revealed on stage for the first time was pretty cool to me.
    Where I'm trying to get at is, they're not about the performance or interactions but the Music. I know he did not interact, or talk with the audience, which also bummed me out a little, but its not where they're trying to get out.

They did great. It was not boring. And, they are phenomenal musicians.

Default Re: Gorillaz...

I was pretty disapointed with the visual display. They hyped it up to be a big deal. I have seen much better. So far nothing matches Reznor's LiTS production.

Gorillaz hyped up their visuals? When?

well yeah, the visuals could have been better like if they didn't show music videos. I mean i saw deadmau5 and that blew me away. But at the same time it made you focus more with the music

Yeah dude it was deadmua5 who hyped up the visuals, but he pulled it offf

Quote Originally Posted by seandigi View Post
    I was pretty disapointed with the visual display. They hyped it up to be a big deal. I have seen much better. So far nothing matches Reznor's LiTS production.
    Too true. Best visual display for live music I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Gorillaz hyped up their visuals? When?
    They never said they'd use the cartoons. Everyone just assumes. I was a little disappointed AND happily surprised. Seeing Damon and co. up there was excellent.

yeah with the rubix cube and 'matrix' shit. that was fucking legit

oh and lets not forget the LED head.

deadmau5 set was the shit. gorillaz set was just music videos on a screen...gay
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )

People are complaining about the visuals but honestly they did almost the exact same thing for Demon Days live. Granted, the stage setup was still downscaled (no silhouette walls/crazy colors) but I wasn't expecting them to do anything akin to the holograms or anything. I just wished they'd used the Superfast Jellyfish video included on the iTunes plus version of the album.

Edit: Here is that video

I'll admit I was expecting a bit more in the visuals/production department, but as a general rule of thumb, music comes before lights - Gorillaz were awesome. Well played, Damon.

Damon never hyped their visuals - he said they would NOT be doing holograms, and for some reason that made everybody think he was redesigning the universe.

Well, guess what... Albarn decided he wanted to be the frontman for The Clash (with Jones and Simonon) and he was hella entertaining. I've never seen Albarn that excited and engaged to the crowd and his co-performers... and I'd go see that show again in a heartbeat. If you convinced yourself that Gorillaz would be the new "Avatar", that's on you. The 2d visuals and videos are a big part of the band's charm, and the musicians sounded fantastic (with the exception of the forgotten 'Stylo' lyrics).

What spoke most loudly to me is that virtually nobody left during Gorillaz' set. Having seen a whole basket of headliners in my life, if they can keep nearly everybody in place until the very end, they're putting on a great show.

THANK YOU TomServo! That's exactly where i'm getting at.

Yes, also to add, the visuals were NEVER hyped at all. I would know if they were haha.

I for one thought it was an amazing show. I think everybody expected the awsome holograms that they saw at the mtv show, but i heard somewhere that they can't use the holograms live because the bass fucks with them somehow, and that for that mtv show the bass was cut significantly, but don't hold me to that statement. nevertheless watching him perform with jones and simonon was amazing

no one left cuz the set felt like 30mins... Short and very disappointing especially after seeing the epic atoms of peace
    05-13

stating that almost no one left during Gorillaz set is a fallacy. I was near the back for part of it and I have never seen so many people leaving a Coachella closing set in 11 years of attending. Hordes of people left during their set.
    '99-'11...

god you guys are retards if you need visuals to enjoy GREAT music
    Black Rebel Motorcycl Club - 03/16
    Coachella - 04/16-04/18
    Neon Indian - 06/03
    LCD Soundsystem - 06/04
    The XX W/Phantogram - 06/05
    Wild Beasts - 08/13
    Sunset Junction:
    Ghostland Observatory - 08/21
    Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros - 08/21
    Culture Collide:
    Klaxons + The Boxer Rebellion - 10/8
    Jenny & Johnny + Tokyo Police Club -10/10
    LCD Soundsystem W Hot Chip & Sleigh Bells - 10/15
    Friendly Fires + Foster The People - 02/09/11
    Lykke Li@SkyBarMondrian Sessions - 3/10/11

Well the set being short wasn't their fault! They only had 90 min, in which they owned it.

old school

Jesus criminently people!! it was not a rubicks cube. It was a massive block of cheese with a bite taken out of it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ethanriver7 View Post
    You know, lots of people are complaining about the Gorillaz this year. Give them a break! They were headlining and only had 90 min to play. They were probably going to end with Dare, but Shaun Ryder couldn't make it because of the volcano.
    Personally, I thought it was the greatest show of my life, but that's also because I'm a die-hard Gorillaz fan and i was in the front row.
    They broke character, so what? The point of the Gorillaz is not the 'characters' but it's the MUSIC that they want to elaborate on. Plus, for the Gorillaz to be revealed on stage for the first time was pretty cool to me.
    Where I'm trying to get at is, they're not about the performance or interactions but the Music. I know he did not interact, or talk with the audience, which also bummed me out a little, but its not where they're trying to get out.

They did great. It was not boring. And, they are phenomenal musicians.
    what my sunday consisted of was finding acid to see gorillaz.
    i had not heard a single song off of plastik beach and i got there early to be in the front. it took a while but i feel it built the suspense. when snoop dogg came out and the music bumped we all just started vibing that shit
    i loved every song and the way they had guest stars the orchestra and the indian thing they did was so fucking epic. friday was deadmau5 day saturday was tiesto but overall i think gorillaz was the best show at coachella

Snoop Dogg came out? that acid must have been great
    '99-'11...

Definetly best show. and no Snoop was just on the screen but it was pretty cool regardless.

suck on this stage setup Gorillaz... best ever
    http://www.hollywire.com/wp-content/...ails-live1.jpg
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

who ever compared the two?

Quote Originally Posted by ethanriver7 View Post
    who ever compared the two?
    I did! You want a knuckle sandwich!
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

Bring it BIATCH

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    Snoop Dogg came out? that acid must have been great
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Don't have to since the San Diego board is gone, meaning I won. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteimp View Post
    Clusterfuckchella is right on the money. I'll stick to EDC thanks. :/

after all of the cancellations (kano and bashy, shawn ryder, mos def) you would think that the setlist would be tweaked a little. White flag was just live instrumentals.

sorry i think i am about to go on a rant here.......

the screens on the sides of the stage should have been about 20 feet higher. there were a shit-ton of people there, you needed to either be really tall or really close to see anything. The stage setup would be perfect for a theater. No light show whatseover.

I went to a show from both of their first 2 tours, so my expectations were high
    and even higher after this article came out: (left side is where coachella is mentioned

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7782/nme6.jpg

i just want to apologize for all of the comments i made about how good they were going to be and that you shouldn't miss them... they weren't that good.
    aaaaaahhhgagagagagagagagoooooooo

^ wow hes talking up a storm in that article! FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Don't have to since the San Diego board is gone, meaning I won. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteimp View Post
    Clusterfuckchella is right on the money. I'll stick to EDC thanks. :/