Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pavement

Default Re: Pavement

I can't believe they didn't play Here.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Agree with drewdrew - absolutely boring show with no energy at all. Now good cure for my insomnia. If you compare them with faith no more, who are same age and also reunited, pavement looked awful.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GOSHMAC View Post
    Agree with drewdrew - absolutely boring show with no energy at all. Now good cure for my insomnia. If you compare them with faith no more, who are same age and also reunited, pavement looked awful.
    Nobody cares what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GOSHMAC View Post
    Troll?

Retard?

Both?
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Anyone grab the poster?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    It's also worth noting they looked like they hated being up there together but somehow it made the music that much better. I don't have specific examples but the body language screamed I hate you. I wonder if anyone else got that impression.
    Considering the drummer interrupted the lead guy talking (aw I feel like a bastard for not knowing their names.... but I was there, damn you all!) before the first song even kicked off, and the guitarist did the same exact thing back to him a few songs later.... yeah. The drummer was also sitting at his drums talking into a cell phone before the show started, which struck me as sort of odd (though I stricken with oddness all the time, so who knows?)

Though aside from the seemingly obvious conflict with the members themselves, I thought they smashed! It all seemed very coordinated (though I found myself imagining that this was their first time playing in any way with each other in years, which probably made more of an impressive impression on me.... mmmmm press)

That was a joke, he was "talking" to his mom.

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I know, I was expecting them to close with that so I could finally start crying.

Quote Originally Posted by emllik View Post
    Considering the drummer interrupted the lead guy talking (aw I feel like a bastard for not knowing their names.... but I was there, damn you all!) before the first song even kicked off, and the guitarist did the same exact thing back to him a few songs later.... yeah. The drummer was also sitting at his drums talking into a cell phone before the show started, which struck me as sort of odd (though I stricken with oddness all the time, so who knows?)
    If you struck you as odd this is good. Pavement is odd. Pavement just really doesn't give a fuck, yet they still create such great songs. I wish they actually messed up more in their set, I think it would have set the mood more.

Everyone who is bitching and moaning needs to watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5akIHu99E

Enough said. But I'll say more. Pavement was amazing on Sunday. It didn't feel empty, they sounded great, I met extremely cute Pavement fans (weren't sure they existed) and helped them crowd surf to the front. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    I was with Casey on the rail behind the mystery empty fenced area. Perfect spot...nobody in front of us. We were singing along the whooooole time. "Stereo," "Trigger Cut," "Two States," etc. Loved every minute. Everyone around seemed to be into it. It was pretty empty up front before it started, then it filled in a few songs in.
    I didn't notice any tension between any band members. Malkmus didn't banter much, but I don't remember him being much of a talker back in the day, either.
    I thought it would be cheesy to end with "Cut Your Hair," but throwing my hands in the air with everyone else & shouting "NO BIG HAIR!" was pretty special.
    I was there too!

Pavement=top 3 sets of the festival

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    THIS

And to add another 2 cents, their stage presence is pretty much the same as it was back in the 90s. That's one of the endearing things about this performance for me- that they were basically the same quasi goofy guys on stage. Nastanovich hasn't appeared to have changed at all with the bizarre percussion and in-between song comments.

But they've never been known for their on stage posturing and don't take themselves that seriously. Perhaps that is what turns casual listeners off.

C DUBYA, thanks for the lists. As much as I think ranking music is kinda ineffective, it is the sheer consistency that sends the message- well put.

Although, I have to say I've always been a bigger fan of Crooked Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dekelou View Post

Although, I have to say I've always been a bigger fan of Crooked Rain.
    Me too.
    The Glitter Freeze

My boyfriend and I were about 15 rows back or so and it was packed enough that when some 16 year olds attempted to fill in some non-existent space in front of me, it was pretty annoying.

Pavement's set was packed with their hookiest tracks and one of the best I've seen from them. I squealed when Date with Ikea started since I wasn't really expecting that one. And the pogoing was almost as fun as for Superchunk.

Can't wait for Pitchfork and one of four sold out nights in Central Park.

And I liked the median age surrounding me. No one was staggering or babbling during the set while wearing feathers, warpaint, and glowsticks. Just real fans without the need to make a spectacle of themselves. Unfortunately, the spectacle demographic has become a plague on Coachella.

Give me Oldchella any day.
    Last edited by krk67; 04-21-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theripped View Post
    Pavement were great but Phoenix sucked up most of the crowd. They definitely deserved a bigger crowd.
    True. Phoenix crowd was HUGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

As boring as I remember them...

I forgot to mention that some young guys (late teens?) made their way up and ended up right behind us. They asked what kind of music Pavement was. I assume they were trying to secure a good spot for Gorillaz, but they were completely respectful during Pavement's set. We asked if they wanted our spots when the set was over and happily gave the spots to them when we left.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

What kind of music did you say they were?

Indie rock. It's the easiest description. Didn't get a chance to ask them what they thought.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    As boring as I remember them...
    You thought they were boring, yet you went to see them anyway - yeah that makes sense.
    The Glitter Freeze

I guess in the end you either "get" pavement or you don't. I guess I don't but that doesn't this perception will change in the future and also it doesn't change the fact that they are an important band regardless of my I think or know of them. They will always have a place in my CD/mp3 media storage.

Pavement's set was fantastic.

There's no point arguing with the MGMT / Hot Chip set. Indie rock used to be the center of, well, indie rock music. In Pavement's time, they were king of that. Rightfully so.

What our little ignorant MGMT fan is attempting to articulate is something that is true: today, in 2010, indie rock is a subgenre of the much broader "indie," which has more to do with commercial hip-hop and club music than it has to do with Pavement or Archers of Loaf. He's right. And that's okay. It's their generation, their music.

But if the hipsters were truly as worldly about their music as they claim, then they'd be able to recognize and appreciate the greatness of Pavement's set.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

What if I really enjoyed Pavement and Hot Chips sets?

Yeah anybody who lumps Hot Chip and MGMT in together doesn't get it either, Hot Chip are ten times more talented than MGMT.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

old school

MGMT were emotionless statues on stage. Which seems to be what the newbs are bitching about Pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by softbulletin View Post
    Anyone grab the poster?
    yeah. apparently there were only 200 or some bs. i was glad they still had some because they were selling it at the fox

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah anybody who lumps Hot Chip and MGMT in together doesn't get it either, Hot Chip are ten times more talented than MGMT.
    No, you don't get it. They're both electropop bands, both bands have more in common with commercial pop than indie rock.

Superchunk and Pavement are dissimilar, too, but they're obviously still in the same musical orbit.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    No, you don't get it. They're both electropop bands, both bands have more in common with commercial pop than indie rock.

Superchunk and Pavement are dissimilar, too, but they're obviously still in the same musical orbit.
    LOL, so now anybody who uses a synthesizer and a drum machine is "commercial pop"? Is that also true for bands like LCD Soundsystem and the Rapture?

MGMT has more in common with the Flaming Lips than they do with Hot Chip.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Pavement's playing a show in Stockton!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/0...#comment-84782

Young, who drummed with the band until 1992, including on its debut Slanted & Enchanted, may show up, according to Kannberg.

Young himself weighed in on this possibility, which sounds a lot like what happened at Faith No More’s final Warfield appearance in April. “Well, I wish,” he said. “It’d be as big as it ever gets.”
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands