Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 194

Thread: Pavement

  1. #91

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    First off asshole you can ask the guys of Phish about Pavements influence on them. Not to mention Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr. @ every other alterna indie band that laid the foundation for the scene of today. You indeed have KNOW IDEA WHAT THE FUCK YOUR TALKING ABOUT. Keep diggin yrself a hole to lay in & I'll throw the dirt on you when yr done.
    I think I disagree with the "sonic youth" comment...to me it is the other way around, the almighty sonic youth influenced EVERY indie band formed after the distant year 1981 when they were formed. They are the godfathers of the indie noise-dissonant-whiny vocals sound of today and beyond.

  2. #92
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post

    Pavement didn't do dick in establishing today's indie scene.

    They played shitty alternative rock at best, they harmonies were out of key and their lyrics are about as creative as a 6th grade haiku.

    I am not saying they didn't influence SOMEONE...that doesn't mean that they are good.

    I'm saying this year, at Coachella, in 2010, on the main stage, Pavement played a bad set.
    and yet, you are still wrong, not based on your opinion, but based soley on your complete lack of music knowledge.

    The above comments are so incredibly wrong and ignorant, you sir, are becoming legendary for stupidity. Seriously man, you need like a year's worth of music history, like pronto. I'm not trying to be rude, but you need to quit talking out of your ass, because you are pretty fucking clueless. Thy hole hath been dug deep.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  3. #93

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    and yet, you are still wrong, not based on your opinion, but based soley on your complete lack of music knowledge.

    The above comments are so incredibly wrong and ignorant, you sir, are becoming legendary for stupidity. Seriously man, you need like a year's worth of music history, like pronto. I'm not trying to be rude, but you need to quit talking out of your ass, because you are pretty fucking clueless. Thy hole hath been dug deep.
    I love how you just keep saying how much you know and how much I dont, and yet you literally havent said a single fact in this whole post, nor have you answered any of my questions.

    Interesting indeed. And yeah man, I know nothing about music because I don't respect fucking Pavement. Pavement, a band that when you ask 90% of the population a single song that they sing, they rarely even know its a fucking band. As I said before, I literally met no one who could tell me what kind of music pavement played, which is why I had to go to the set to check them out, unfortunately.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

  4. #94
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Jesus moron, it's called the internet try digging around

    Here.

    from Mickael Wood of Rolling Stone.

    I’d say it’s nice to be back,” remarked Bob Nastanovich not long into Pavement’s show last night in California. “But I’ve never fucking been here before!”

    True enough, Bobby boy. The jocks pumping their fists to “Cut Your Hair,” the chick doing the noodle dance to “Stereo,” the countless dudes diluting their beers with tears during “Here” — this was definitely new territory for arguably the greatest indie-rock band of all time.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  5. #95
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    I love how you just keep saying how much you know and how much I dont, and yet you literally havent said a single fact in this whole post, nor have you answered any of my questions.

    Interesting indeed. And yeah man, I know nothing about music because I don't respect fucking Pavement. Pavement, a band that when you ask 90% of the population a single song that they sing, they rarely even know its a fucking band. As I said before, I literally met no one who could tell me what kind of music pavement played, which is why I had to go to the set to check them out, unfortunately.
    You are a walking nutbag of contradictions.

    But yes, you know nothing about music because you don't respect Pavement.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-20-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  6. #96

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Jesus moron, it's called the internet try digging around

    Here.

    from Mickael Wood of Rolling Stone.

    I’d say it’s nice to be back,” remarked Bob Nastanovich not long into Pavement’s show last night in California. “But I’ve never fucking been here before!”

    True enough, Bobby boy. The jocks pumping their fists to “Cut Your Hair,” the chick doing the noodle dance to “Stereo,” the countless dudes diluting their beers with tears during “Here” — this was definitely new territory for arguably the greatest indie-rock band of all time.
    I am not sure if you are aware of this, but saying a band is "arguably the greatest indie-rock band of all time" isn't a "fact", nor is it in any way saying that they created indie music, that they influenced bands like MGMT, etc...

    Strike one.

    For your next try, dont use an opinion article, mmkay?
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

  7. #97
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    i didnt say they created indie music.

    from wiki

    Pavement is an American indie/alternative rock band. Although they experienced only moderate commercial success, they achieved a significant cult following[1] and were one of the most popular and influential lo-fi rock bands of the 1990s.[1][2] In their initial ten-year career, they released five full length records, and nine EPs. The group remained signed to an independent label throughout their entire career.


    I'm just pointing out the majority opinion is that they are what i said they are. Not what you say they are.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-20-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  8. #98
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    I am not sure if you are aware of this, but saying a band is "arguably the greatest indie-rock band of all time" isn't a "fact", nor is it in any way saying that they created indie music, that they influenced bands like MGMT, etc...

    Strike one.

    For your next try, dont use an opinion article, mmkay?
    You fucking moron.

    You want facts in a debate about musical taste? What you want fucking sales figures?
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  9. #99

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    from wiki

    Pavement is an American indie/alternative rock band. Although they experienced only moderate commercial success, they achieved a significant cult following[1] and were one of the most popular and influential lo-fi rock bands of the 1990s.[1][2] In their initial ten-year career, they released five full length records, and nine EPs. The group remained signed to an independent label throughout their entire career.
    Again, what does this prove? They were a popular lo-fi rock band? They had a cult following? They were on an independent label? Thats great. I never claimed that they weren't indie, I simply said I dont see their influence in any music today, especially not MGMT. Thats weird considering you claimed MGMT "probably wouldnt exist" without them.

    And, as in every post of this thread, this still does nothing to make them less shitty at Coachella.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

  10. #100

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    You fucking moron.

    You want facts in a debate about musical taste? What you want fucking sales figures?
    So frustrated! I didn't mean to get you all bothered, what with all the cussing and anger. I guess some people really love their Pavement...hahaha.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

  11. #101
    Member dekelou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Pavement

    Echoing the sentiments of others on this thread, I was perhaps one of 3 people at the front left of the stage enjoying the show. Probably standing right behind whoever started this thread, and in front of a nice girl who was just as about excited as I was to see this set. I've never been able to get this close to the mainstage and was quite surprised to get there. And yes, surrounded by countless Gorillaz fans, one who even asked me who pavement was. I seriously thought he was joking.

    But, as far as the bitching and the arguing, a smaller turnout for the show allowed me to enjoy this great set (although I could've used some Blue Hawaiian, Here, or Too Old to Begin...) up close and I'm not complaining about that. And RangeLife, goddamn, been waiting to hear that one live since I saw them over 10 years ago!

    Definitely made my Coachella.

  12. #102
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    Again, what does this prove? They were a popular lo-fi rock band? They had a cult following? They were on an independent label? Thats great. I never claimed that they weren't indie, I simply said I dont see their influence in any music today, especially not MGMT. Thats weird considering you claimed MGMT "probably wouldnt exist" without them.

    And, as in every post of this thread, this still does nothing to make them less shitty at Coachella.
    I NEVER said MGMT were influenced by Pavement - you keep misquoting me.

    What i said was many bands probably would not exist without bands like Pavement, or Husker Du (who I'm also sure you have no clue who they are), or, as someone else mentioned, Sonic Youth before them. Pavement help ushered in the age of the indie in both sound and style. Go talk to someone over at Matador and see how they feel about the subject. That entire fucking label roster, and the tons that came after because of it, (and even the way they do business now) was pretty much built on Pavement.

    If I cuss at you, it's because you're a thickheaded indie hipster who doesn't know jack shit, but spouts off as if he does. Then when numerous people correct you on possible reason you really don't know, your thickness still remains.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  13. #103
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by dekelou View Post
    And RangeLife, goddamn, been waiting to hear that one live since I saw them over 10 years ago!

    Definitely made my Coachella.
    Range Life was great.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  14. #104

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I NEVER said MGMT were influenced by Pavement - you keep misquoting me.

    What i said was many bands probably would not exist without bands like Pavement, or Husker Du (who I'm also sure you have no clue who they are), or, as someone else mentioned, Sonic Youth before them. Pavement help ushered in the age of the indie in both sound and style. Go talk to someone over at Matador and see how they feel about the subject. That entire fucking label roster, and the tons that came after because of it, (and even the way they do business now) was pretty much built on Pavement.

    If I cuss at you, it's because you're a thickheaded indie hipster who doesn't know jack shit, but spouts off as if he does. Then when numerous people correct you on possible reason you really don't know, your thickness still remains.

    Hipster made me lol. This is pretty much pointless, you wont ever stick with a single statement you make because you realize once I challenge it that you are in fact an idiot. Its all good though, Pavement is gone now, hopefully for good. I imagine they stepped off the stage and immediately went back into hiatus, simply because there is no way that they could have thought that set was good. And to think, two days before John Paul Jones played on that same stage, talk about a real legend. They are lucky they got to be within 100 yards of the stage that man played on. Have a good one, I am pretty sure Ill never have to see you at a show because I don't enjoy bad music, so there's at least that. Have a good tuesday! Maybe get some Pavement in, blast em from your car and see if the windows crack when he tries to harmonize, my money is on them completely shattering.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

  15. #105
    Member bebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    510
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Pavement

    Pavement was fucking awesome. One of the best sets of the weekend. Slanted, Crooked and Wowee remain in my top albums of all time and will probably stay there.

    I will never feel that way about MGMT past present or future.
    4/19-4/21 Coachella
    5/25 Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Teebs @ The Fox Theatre
    5/29 Tame Impala @ The Fox Theatre
    ??? Bjork @ The Craneway Pavilion

  16. #106
    The Fro PassiveTheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ciudad de ángeles
    Posts
    11,042

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    Pavement didn't do dick in establishing today's indie scene.
    Sigged. Good god you are a moron.
    Upcoming Shows:
    ???

    6x Coachella Attendee (2007 - 2011, 2014a)


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

  17. #107

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by dekelou View Post
    ...And RangeLife, goddamn, been waiting to hear that one live...
    NOOOO! I missed that? A most regrettable move I made. ni modo!

  18. #108

    Default Re: Pavement

    Let me put this in terms you can understand drew, Pavement is to indie-rock as Phish is to jambands.

    While neither created their respective genre (that would be bands like Sonic Youth and the Grateful Dead), they each were important in establishing each genre as artistically and commercially viable and undoubtedly influenced the bulk of the bands that came after them that would be labeled as indie rock or a jamband respectively.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

  19. #109

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Let me put this in terms you can understand drew, Pavement is to indie-rock as Phish is to jambands.

    While neither created their respective genre (that would be bands like Sonic Youth and the Grateful Dead), they each were important in establishing each genre as artistically and commercially viable and undoubtedly influenced the bulk of the bands that came after them that would be labeled as indie rock or a jamband respectively.
    well put!

  20. #110
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    Hipster made me lol. This is pretty much pointless, you wont ever stick with a single statement you make because you realize once I challenge it that you are in fact an idiot. Its all good though, Pavement is gone now, hopefully for good. I imagine they stepped off the stage and immediately went back into hiatus, simply because there is no way that they could have thought that set was good. And to think, two days before John Paul Jones played on that same stage, talk about a real legend. They are lucky they got to be within 100 yards of the stage that man played on. Have a good one, I am pretty sure Ill never have to see you at a show because I don't enjoy bad music, so there's at least that. Have a good tuesday! Maybe get some Pavement in, blast em from your car and see if the windows crack when he tries to harmonize, my money is on them completely shattering.
    Hey look I'll throw in a sure fire Led Zep reference to give my shit for a dumb fucking opinion some sort of weirdo street cred. Who is arguing JPJ is not a legend - not me - again you seriously have no clue. Just take your lumps at this point drew.

    So here, I did the digging for you. I'm sure you'll blast these as somehow wrong, and opinions aside, it is what most people who know music think concerning Pavement.

    Here we go. Like others in this thread I am not in the minority thinking Pavement are great, important, influential... etc. it's almost fucking common sense these days

    Blender's Best Indie Records of all time:

    20 The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday
    19 Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
    18 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    17 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    16 Slint - Spiderland
    15 X - Wild Gift
    14 De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising
    13 Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade
    12 Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
    11 Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
    10 The Smiths - The Smiths
    09 Big Star - Third/Sister Lovers
    08 My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    07 The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
    06 Arcade Fire - Funeral
    05 Pixies - Surfer Rosa
    04 R.E.M. - Murmur
    03 The Replacements - Let It Be
    02 Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    01 Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted

    SPIN'S Top 25 albums since they've been published:. (published 1995 and again in 1999)

    1. Ramones - Ramones
    2. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back.
    3. Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
    4. Husker Du - Zen Arcade
    5. Nirvana - Nevermind
    6. Patti Smith - Horses
    7. Big Star - Radio City
    8. R.E.M. - Murmur
    9. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    10. X - Wild Gift
    11. Radiohead - OK Computer
    12. Wire - Pink Flag
    13. Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
    14. Neil Young - Tonight’s The Night
    15. Gang Of Four - Entertainment
    16. Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted
    17. Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
    18. Modern Lovers - Same.
    19. X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescence
    20. Blondie - Parallel Lines.
    21. Eric B.& Rakim - Paid In Full
    22. The Clash - London Calling
    23. Lucinda William’s - Same.)
    24. Prince - Sign ‘O’ The Times.
    25. Clash - The Clash

    Rolling Stone's decade spanning definitive top 500 of all time:

    124 Pearl - JANIS JOPLIN
    125 Catch a Fire - BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS
    126 Younger Than Yesterday - THE BYRDS
    127 Raw Power - THE STOOGES
    128 Remain in Light - TALKING HEADS
    129 Marquee Moon - TELEVISION
    130 Paranoid - BLACK SABBATH
    131 Saturday Night Fever - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
    132 The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
    133 Ready To Die - THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G.
    134 Slanted and Enchanted - PAVEMENT
    135 Tim - THE REPLACEMENTS

    Mojo's 50 Songs that changed music:

    25. The Beatles – Tomorrow Never Knows
    26. David Bowie – Starman
    27. Pavement - Summer Babe
    28. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
    29. The Crystals – He’s A Rebel
    30. Deep Purple – Smoke On The Water
    31. Otis Redding – (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of They Bay

    Under the Radar's top records of all time:

    3. Replacements - Tim
    4. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
    5. Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antartica
    6. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

    Amazon's best 100 indie albums of all time:

    1. Bee Thousand by Guided by Voices
    2. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
    3. Spiderland by Slint
    4. Exile In Guyville by Liz Phair
    5. Slanted and Enchanted by Pavement
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  21. #111
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Pavement

    Oh and MGMT - are the definition of hipster.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  22. #112
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: Pavement

    Oh no forgive me for my ignorance. Sonic Youth were never influenced by Pavement. Thats why Mark Ibold toured with them extensively. Thats why SM came out @ Youth's last Roo set to sing lead for "Expressway to Yr Skull". You guys are IGNIT!!!. Just because a band precedes another doesn't mean they can't be influenced by an act that comes afterword.

  23. #113
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: Pavement

    drewdrew has to be an alias. Srsly drewdrew go lick yo momma's anus.

  24. #114

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Oh no forgive me for my ignorance. Sonic Youth were never influenced by Pavement. Thats why Mark Ibold toured with them extensively. Thats why SM came out @ Youth's last Roo set to sing lead for "Expressway to Yr Skull". You guys are IGNIT!!!. Just because a band precedes another doesn't mean they can't be influenced by an act that comes afterword.
    wow! I guess you just won't quit. Are you trying to convince others or yourself? Seems like it's everyone vs. you. In general, age-appropriate deductive and inductive reasoning skills help in discussions like this one, try it!

  25. #115
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: Pavement

    So backing up your statements with actual facts is not "age-approriate deductive reasoning skills. Theres no convincing to do douche. Yr kicked off the debate team bitch.

  26. #116

    Default Re: Pavement

    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    So backing up your statements with actual facts is not "age-approriate deductive reasoning skills. Theres no convincing to do douche. Yr kicked off the debate team bitch.
    insults don't win arguments, not even having the last word does.

  27. #117
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: Pavement

    No yr right, but putting people in their place is priceless. For the record I wasn't trying to put you in your place til your catty remark about reasoning skills.

  28. #118
    Member venturas90sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: Pavement

    Can we please accept our differing opinions without resorting to name calling and just talk about how the set was and why. Its ok if someone didn't like the set. Pavement is not for everyone, they never have been.
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

  29. #119
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,312

    Default Re: Pavement

    The rest of this thread is dedicated to the amazing set Pavement put on this past wknd. This thread should be a celebration not a warzone. Its depressing. Share your positive experiences & thoughts @ Pavement's set this past wknd. Haters get the fuck out.

  30. #120

    Default Re: Pavement

    I can't believe I actually read this entire thread. Pavement is not for everyone. Well said ventura...but to shit on Pavement (especially when you know nothing about them and you only catch a few songs) and their influence on music today. Well, my god that has to be some of the dumbest shit I've read on this website.

Similar Threads

  1. Pavement
    By thestripe in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
  2. ATP Pavement Edition.
    By sonofhal in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 03:24 AM
  3. Pavement.
    By Hier_Proctor in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
  4. Pavement
    By BrickTop24 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM
  5. pavement
    By information in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •