Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pavement

Default Re: Pavement

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    4th year running. good try though.
    Your completely off base, retarded, bat-shit crazy wrong review of Pavement, renders any of your future opinions moot.

EDIT:

what TomAz said.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Your completely off base, retarded, bat-shit crazy wrong review of Pavement, renders any of your future opinions moot.

EDIT:

what TomAz said.
    hahaha. right. pavement was good. they were super energetic and complex, they definitely werent old as fuck and milling around the same god damn spot on the stage the whole time. oh wait....
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

old school

easily the worst band of the fest. this set was so painful to watch. i came to get a decent spot for gorillaz and i was disgusted. terrible vocals, absolutely no stage energy or presence and they failed so hard at their in between songs 'comedy'. I remember the lead singer saying "are you glad pavement is back?" and even the people in the very front didnt seem to give a shit. why were these guys given anything above a 12:30 set in the gobi?
    Throw an acorn at this troll & turn'em to stone.

You are seriously a fucking retard if thats the way you saw things. What does age have to do with anything? Go back to your MGMT records mr clueless.
    The Glitter Freeze

You are seriously a fucking retard if thats the way you saw things. What does age have to do with anything? Go back to your MGMT records mr clueless.
    Age doesnt have anything to do with it until it affects their performance. Example: Paul McCartney was 70 (or 67, cant remember) and he was owning the stage, these guys looked like they were about to die mid set. Literally, I have never seen anyone less enthusiastic about playing music. I felt like they wanted me to get bored and tell my friends they sucked. I am honestly in awe that there is an argument opposite of this, I didnt see a single person at the set that looked like they were enjoying it.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.

hahaha. right. pavement was good. they were super energetic and complex, they definitely werent old as fuck and milling around the same god damn spot on the stage the whole time. oh wait....
    Serious question: Did you ever see Pavement back in the 90s? I'm going to assume "no." If you had, you'd know that they performed pretty much the same way back then. Those of us who have adored Pavement since the band's inception loved the set. If you didn't like it, why not go explore your other options? Phoenix played at the same time...they're high-energy performers.

Again, I'm being completely serious. No snark.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

I was kind of disappointed with the Pavement set, but I think it was only because I was looking forward to it so much. Kind of the same with Morrissey last year. I've seen him so many times, I rank his performance against prior performances, rather than evaluating it independently.

Seeing them again just made me feel old. My girlfriend who's 27 and thought Pavement was "that band that sounds like Weezer that you always listen to" liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Serious question: Did you ever see Pavement back in the 90s? I'm going to assume "no." If you had, you'd know that they performed pretty much the same way back then. Those of us who have adored Pavement since the band's inception loved the set. If you didn't like it, why not go explore your other options? Phoenix played at the same time...they're high-energy performers.

Again, I'm being completely serious. No snark.
    No, I didnt. I will give you that, I never knew anything about Pavement. I checked them out because I had heard good things. I watched all of Phoenix and came to see the last 4 or so songs of Pavement to check them out and was extremely disappointed, I wasnt trying to get into a pissing match with some board tards, I just wanted to talk about Coachella lol. I can respect that you liked the set and you really like the band etc...I am just saying for me, I thought it was god-awful. I wasnt trying to be a troll or anything, but thats how it goes on this board if you dont have a million posts.

I didnt think you were a troll.

I know your wheelhouse from other posts... and that unfortunately is MGMT, not Pavement.

But I do think you are reviewing a VERY important band completely wrong. You didn't know them, you caught the last couple songs. You weren't there for them. etc...

Not your cup of tea, fine, not knowing about Pavement and why they are great, not fine.
    The Glitter Freeze

I didnt think you were a troll.

I know your wheelhouse from other posts... and that unfortunately is MGMT, not Pavement.

But I do think you are reviewing a VERY important band completely wrong. You didn't know them, you caught the last couple songs. You weren't there for them. etc...

Not your cup of tea, fine, not knowing about Pavement and why they are great, not fine.
    Why are they great?
    Why are they important?
    Furthermore, why do you hate MGMT so much?

Why are they great?
    Why are they important?
    we're not here to educate you on music history.

but if you come into a thread full of Pavement fans and spout some ignorant drivel, you shouldn't be surprised if your comments are challenged.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Why are they great?
    Why are they important?
    Furthermore, why do you hate MGMT so much?
    You keep outing yourself on here young one.

First, I don't hate MGMT, like I said I liked their set just fine. But what 99% of the warpaint feather clad sheep need to realize they ain't the second coming of christ, not by a fucking longshot. I said they are a decent band with pretentious lyrics and catchy hooks, if that equates to me somehow "hating" them, I guess I do.

Second. If you have to ask why Pavement are important and/or great... (you how that goes) Oh well let's just say without bands like Pavement there probably would be no MGMT.
    The Glitter Freeze

Age doesnt have anything to do with it until it affects their performance. Example: Paul McCartney was 70 (or 67, cant remember) and he was owning the stage, these guys looked like they were about to die mid set. Literally, I have never seen anyone less enthusiastic about playing music. I felt like they wanted me to get bored and tell my friends they sucked. I am honestly in awe that there is an argument opposite of this, I didnt see a single person at the set that looked like they were enjoying it.
    Yer nuts dude, they looked they were having tons of fun.

Sure Malkmus was deadpan, but that's just his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You don't consider "Rattled by the Rush" to be one of their big songs?
    Not on the level of Summer Babe, Trigger Cut, Frontwards, Range Life, Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Stop Breathin, Unfair, Shady Lane or Stereo IMO.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Sure Malkmus was deadpan, but that's just his personality.
    You should see him play softball in Portland, hehe.
    The Glitter Freeze

Not on the level of Summer Babe, Trigger Cut, Frontwards, Range Life, Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Stop Breathin, Unfair, Shady Lane or Stereo IMO.
    huh. I would rank "Rattled" above any of those songs except Trigger Cut.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

You should see him play softball in Portland. Same thing.
    I used to work at Everyday Music where he was a semi-regular.

He'd come in with this huge dorky glasses that I always thought may have been some attempt at a "disguise".
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

huh. I would rank "Rattled" above any of those songs except Trigger Cut.
    Too cool to admit that Cut Your Hair is their biggest hit?

You keep outing yourself on here young one.

First, I don't hate MGMT, like I said I liked their set just fine. But what 99% of the warpaint feather clad sheep need to realize they ain't the second coming of christ, not by a fucking longshot. I said they are a decent band with pretentious lyrics and catchy hooks, if that equates to me somehow "hating" them, I guess I do.

Second. If you have to ask why Pavement are important and/or great... (you how that goes) Oh well let's just say without bands like Pavement there probably would be no MGMT.
    So basically the answer is, they arent great or important, you just like them and are pissed that I posted something negative.

and B) I dont think MGMT is the second coming of christ, I just think that they destroyed their set and their new album is definitely a step in the right direction for this generations music.

Shady Lane, Range Life, and Trigger Cut above Rattled for me. Just by a Malkmus nose though.
    The Glitter Freeze

So basically the answer is, they arent great or important, you just like them and are pissed that I posted something negative.

and B) I dont think MGMT is the second coming of christ, I just think that they destroyed their set and their new album is definitely a step in the right direction for this generations music.
    No, I'm pissed that you don't what your talking about. Like I already said - not liking them is fine, but spouting off idiotic drivel like you did in a Pavement thread (as TomAz pointed out) you got to be clueless, or young, or both.

I thought I sorta answered your question as did others, if you don't get a sense of Pavement's importance to 90% of the acts who play Coachella, then the only negative is your tunnel hearing when it comes to music.

Seriously, MGMT is this generations music - that's fucking sad.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-20-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

No, I'm pissed that you don't what your talking about. Like I already said - not liking them is fine, but spouting off idiotic drivel like you did in a Pavement thread (as TomAz pointed out) you got to be clueless, or young, or both.

Seriously, this generations music - that's fucking sad.
    Jay-Z as a headliner is sad, not MGMT.

Jay-Z as a headliner is sad, not MGMT.
    I'm not talking about Jay Z, nor headliners. Jesus, are you like 15?
    The Glitter Freeze

Too cool to admit that Cut Your Hair is their biggest hit?
    on what scale?

on what scale?
    I just meant that they played all of the "big" songs, at least IMO, not necessarily the fan favorites but the ones that even casual Pavement fans know, which of course has to include Cut Your Hair.

You should see him play softball in Portland, hehe.
    Lol. I had heard he played locally and thought someone was jerking my chain until I saw it for myself. Also have seen him in a few bars around where I live.

Back on topic, drew...it would be in your best interest to just drop it. Your lack of knowledge about Pavement, but bashing the performace is either really stupid or your really transparent when it comes to trolling.

Question to others that went to the gig before Coachella, how was the setlist compared to this one?

I'm not talking about Jay Z, nor headliners. Jesus, are you like 15?
    Nope. We were talking about music of a generation, and I was saying that its sad my generation has Jay-Z as an icon and dumps shit on bands like MGMT.

Regardless, you are obviously someone I disagree with musically and thus I dont really care how you feel about MGMT or Pavement for that matter. Enjoy discussing their shitty set. I dropped in on a thread titled "Pavement" to express my discontent, thats it in a nutshell, and now I have done that.

Now off to see what great bands were influenced by the almighty Pavement. I imagine they had a large part in creating the unique sound in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc

old school

First off asshole you can ask the guys of Phish about Pavements influence on them. Not to mention Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr. @ every other alterna indie band that laid the foundation for the scene of today. You indeed have KNOW IDEA WHAT THE FUCK YOUR TALKING ABOUT. Keep diggin yrself a hole to lay in & I'll throw the dirt on you when yr done.

For a counterpoint I watched the first 3 songs of MGMT and thought it was the weakest, most listless, boring thing in the universe. 2 way street here.

Anyway, now excited for the Greek. June is way too far away.

ok

Behold, a fucking idiot.
    Maybe this does or does not apply to drewdrew etc but I think you were right the first time Tom. Because 4 years running means the first year was Rage. This was the beginning of ignorance at Coachella. Yes I know rage played before but the fact remains is that the build up of the reunion coupled with the chilli peppers which has now transitioned to our smaller indie bands getting more play amongst people who aren't as geeky as us. I'm not complaining and I still enjoyed myself this weekend but this kind of "fuck this old band" thinking is something to be expected.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    First off asshole you can ask the guys of Phish about Pavements influence on them. Not to mention Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr. @ every other alterna indie band that laid the foundation for the scene of today. You indeed have KNOW IDEA WHAT THE FUCK YOUR TALKING ABOUT. Keep diggin yrself a hole to lay in & I'll throw the dirt on you when yr done.
    Because Phish is awesome! Pavement didn't do dick in establishing today's indie scene. They played shitty alternative rock at best, they harmonies were out of key and their lyrics are about as creative as a 6th grade haiku.

I am not saying they didn't influence SOMEONE...that doesn't mean that they are good. At all. Influencing and playing a good set are two different things. Jesus, I'm not even saying they weren't good in the 90's, because I never saw or heard them, I'm saying this year, at Coachella, in 2010, on the main stage, Pavement played a bad set.

and to the guy who didnt like MGMT, fair enough.
    Last edited by drewdrewdrew; 04-20-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarity