Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pavement

Default Pavement

I was about five rows away to the left, thought it was amazing.

anyone else enjoy this fine act?

Default Re: Pavement

Come on, guys. I need info here. Was it really that empty?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

It really was empty. They sounded fucking great but you could have walked right up to the front well after their set started. The most empty I have ever seen the main stage at that time. Easily.

I blame the youth of the crowd. You would think that maybe Orbital had sucked away all their audience but you could easily walk into the Sahara and get to the middle front without a problem there, too. Ridiculous.

At least the few people that were there were respectful and not just talking about the gorillaz. Apparently people just don't like good music anymore, they just want to listen to passion pit. Same with superchunk last year, i arrived early expecting it to be somewhat crowded, there were only about 6 rows of people.

pavement were awesome for the first couple songs that i saw. yeah, there weren't that many people, but i had to leave early to go see orbital. sorry pavement

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    It really was empty. They sounded fucking great but you could have walked right up to the front well after their set started. The most empty I have ever seen the main stage at that time. Easily.
    WTF? This is the saddest thing to ever fucking happen to Coachella.

ye it was horrible that orbital had nobody either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post

You fucking napster generation dipshits don't have a clue.
    >>>acquiescetomusic<<<

Quote Originally Posted by zikade View Post
    I blame the youth of the crowd. You would think that maybe Orbital had sucked away all their audience but you could easily walk into the Sahara and get to the middle front without a problem there, too. Ridiculous.
    THIS

I got to the Sahara about 10 minutes before showtime, maybe even less. It was dead. Less than half full. I just think of how that tent is ALWAYS packed at night and especially the last night of Coachella. I watched about 20-30 and enjoyed it. By the time I left it was maybe closer to 70% full. When I ran into Feather and Co.much later that evening they looked really sad but said the true fans got to enjoy it that much more. I felt bad. They said they had a wonderful time though. Then I easily walk from the Sahara to the Main Stage and walk right up to Pavement mid set. Crazy.

I figure many people left the fest early and the rest were waiting for Jesus on the Outdoor.
    Last edited by faxman75; 04-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    WTF? This is the saddest thing to ever fucking happen to Coachella.
    It's also worth noting they looked like they hated being up there together but somehow it made the music that much better. I don't have specific examples but the body language screamed I hate you. I wonder if anyone else got that impression.

I was with Casey on the rail behind the mystery empty fenced area. Perfect spot...nobody in front of us. We were singing along the whooooole time. "Stereo," "Trigger Cut," "Two States," etc. Loved every minute. Everyone around seemed to be into it. It was pretty empty up front before it started, then it filled in a few songs in.
    I didn't notice any tension between any band members. Malkmus didn't banter much, but I don't remember him being much of a talker back in the day, either.
    I thought it would be cheesy to end with "Cut Your Hair," but throwing my hands in the air with everyone else & shouting "NO BIG HAIR!" was pretty special.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

It seemed that they just weren't thrilled with steven. Everyone but him seemed jovial to me. The setup looked like we just walked into their rehearsal space, so maybe that tinted my view as to how relaxed and happy it seemed.

Regardless, I thought they killed.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    I was with Casey on the rail behind the mystery empty fenced area. Perfect spot...nobody in front of us. We were singing along the whooooole time. "Stereo," "Trigger Cut," "Two States," etc. Loved every minute. Everyone around seemed to be into it. It was pretty empty up front before it started, then it filled in a few songs in.
    I didn't notice any tension between any band members. Malkmus didn't banter much, but I don't remember him being much of a talker back in the day, either.
    I thought it would be cheesy to end with "Cut Your Hair," but throwing my hands in the air with everyone else & shouting "NO BIG HAIR!" was pretty special.
    I blew up an inflatable shark during Cut Your Hair and tossed it forward. I totally should have hung with you at this set.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    It's also worth noting they looked like they hated being up there together but somehow it made the music that much better. I don't have specific examples but the body language screamed I hate you. I wonder if anyone else got that impression.
    All the reports from the Fox say Malkmus and crew look like they are enjoying themselves. They better not implode before the Greek.

Aww, you totally should have, Mark. We had a great spot...no douchebags pushing us or anything. Could've been a super singalong.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    All the reports from the Fox say Malkmus and crew look like they are enjoying themselves. They better not implode before the Greek.
    To me it looked like they were fine with each other, but just my opinion.

That spot in front of that gate was SICK met a bunch of super fans and we all sang a long. Made my Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Aww, you totally should have, Mark. We had a great spot...no douchebags pushing us or anything. Could've been a super singalong.
    I was to the left directly under the screen about 5 people back. They really sounded fantastic and I enjoyed it quite a bit. So much I wish I would have skipped Orbital all together.

I thought there would be huge crowds for both Orbital and PAvement. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Whenever i looked at the screen to see the crowd it seemed relatively big. But leaving was easy, meet up right with my friends afterwards and had no problems. so i guess it was kinda empty :/

i was sitting down for spoon and when they finished i walked right up about 4 people from the rail...i thought they were really good,they looked like they were enjoying it

Pavement were great but Phoenix sucked up most of the crowd. They definitely deserved a bigger crowd.

setlist?
    as predicted by nostradamus

I was in the front row for Pavement, they were amazing. The best performance for 2010. I have a copy of the set list at home, as I was yelling "set list!!!!!" until security gave me one.
    Last edited by kroqken; 06-29-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Pavement didn't get the respect they deserved. I feel like there's been a complete change in the audience... and not only with their set.

An empty field for Pavement is indicative of a completely fucked up Coachella 2010. They were absolutely phenomenal, favorite performance of the entire weekend. I just wish they had gotten the kind of reception I feel they were entitled to. Somewhere between April 2009 and April 2010 Coachella started to be more of a social event than a music one.

I dunno I guess I just really like Pavement and feel offended when I find other people don't... different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    At least the few people that were there were respectful and not just talking about the gorillaz. Apparently people just don't like good music anymore, they just want to listen to passion pit. Same with superchunk last year, i arrived early expecting it to be somewhat crowded, there were only about 6 rows of people.
    Has nothing to do with people not liking good music and everything to do with coachella is now over a decade old and the acts upon which it was originally anchored in it's early years are no longer big draws.

Case in point, the XX was clearly one of the top draws of the fest...their debut is phenomenal, and in ten year's time will probably be seen historically as being as good and influential in its times as Slanted and Enchanted was in it's.

The only thing really going on here, my friend, can be summed up in one simply phrase...

Growing Old Is A Bitch.

Welcome to the club.

PS..if it's any consolation, I was at Pavement and thought the last half hour of their set freaking rocked.

I expected some Stop Breathin' or Here but other than that they sounded fucking great. It just made me realize how bad I want to see them again. I like how Steven kept doing his little fist pump yes after every other song.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I don't think the band hates being together, at the Fox show Malkmus and Bob were hanging out outside before the show and they all looked extremely happy onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    Whenever i looked at the screen to see the crowd it seemed relatively big. But leaving was easy, meet up right with my friends afterwards and had no problems. so i guess it was kinda empty :/
    most of the crowd were there for gorillaz only. i got there 15 minutes before pavement started and made it all the way to the front without any problems. such a great set. no regrets on missing orbital.

I watched out of respect, but was never really a big pavement fan. Disappointing that they did not get more of said respect. Changing demographics at Coachella, that's for sure!