Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Camping this year: Like or Dislike?

Default Re: Camping this year: Like or Dislike?

What i miss was just the simplicity of former years, You get there set up your tent and that is all. I really was just fucking confused the whole weekend. I would gladly carry my stuff for a quarter mile to go back to old camping.

What was so confusing?

yeahh.. it was a go park your car and stay in that spot all weekend kind of deal

12.01 Dan Deacon @ The Echoplex
    12.03 Benoit & Sergio @ TBA
    12.09 Avery Tare @ The Center for the Arts Eagle Rock
    12.17 Baths/DNTEL @ The El Rey
    04.13-15 COACHELLA @ The Polo Fields

old school

The only negative was lack of showers. Next year I'm shaving my head and bringing some extra water and some baby wipes so I don't even have to worry about it. Camping was the shit though, stop whining. If you didn't like it then get a hotel.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I'm renting a tour bus next year. I shit you not.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Quote Originally Posted by alisonnn View Post
    I wish we could re-create a Coachella camping trip over the summer, does this happen?
    Only if you promise to also re-create the temperatures we had this year at the fest,.Otherwise, you're looking at an average range of 85*-115*
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

How were things in el dorado 2? I only made it over there on Thursday night.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Only if you promise to also re-create the temperatures we had this year at the fest,.Otherwise, you're looking at an average range of 85*-115*
    wait, what? wasn't that the average anyways?

12.01 Dan Deacon @ The Echoplex
    12.03 Benoit & Sergio @ TBA
    12.09 Avery Tare @ The Center for the Arts Eagle Rock
    12.17 Baths/DNTEL @ The El Rey
    04.13-15 COACHELLA @ The Polo Fields

I was in a wheelchair/crutches all weekend and the only thing that was a true pain in the ass was the fact that there was no clear path from camping to the bathrooms. I either had to wheel/crutch around all the rows or I had to try to climb over/through peoples campsites. The spaces were too small, cars too close together and no real organization to the mess. The security just dumped people on top of each other. Luckily I had the option of leaving camping and staying in my sisters hotel or I probably would have thrown in the towel and gone home.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    What i miss was just the simplicity of former years, You get there set up your tent and that is all. I really was just fucking confused the whole weekend. I would gladly carry my stuff for a quarter mile to go back to old camping.
    THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    THIS
    /agree
    Coachella's '06, '08, '09, '10, '11
    Camp Touch This!

It was my first time camping last year and I, personally, had a great time. We stayed in Tent Camping and had to haul our stuff but once we were set up, it was nice. Bathrooms were pretty clean and I brought a huge jar of ear plugs to block out the noise at night.

Getting into the festival wasn't half bad either. We were in one of the fastest moving lines. My advice is to get there early. We arrived late afternoon Thursday and was setting up our tent as the sun went down.

Showers were ridiculous! I just opted to not use the damn shower trailers at all! I did throw on a swimsuit and caught a water truck with a hose a few times. Saw a bunch of people hosing down and lathering up and jumped in line. 10 minutes tops and I was showered and clean. Water was damn cold though...

LIKE! Camping is great at Coachella! You can meet so many different people that are in such a wonderful frame of mind! 75,000 people all there to listen to music can't be bad(..unless it was for country western music)! We adopted 4 people into our campsite and will be camping with them in 2011 and as many others as we can adopt. Showers were shit unless you missed music during the night and showered after they opened them back up at 8:00PM. We got there early on Thursday before they started letting people in to camp so we got into the closest area to the VIP camping and we were just about 200 feet from the Sahara tent. We showered to Muse singing live! Don't know anywhere else that could happen and there was plenty of hot water:-) Seriously, camping at Coachella is second only to the music!

Definitely like. I can't speak for years past though. I stayed in hotels my first two years, upgraded to renting houses the next three years, and camped last year. It is by far the best way to experience Coachella.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

This was my first year attending Coachella. I loved camping. It allowed me to meet so many great people (whom I've kept in touch with since). We arrived at a good time. Our spot was merely a 5 minute walk to the entrance. I didn't mind not getting to shower, everyone was sweaty and dirty anyways. Bathrooms were gross, but that's how it is with all festivals.

I really liked how camping was handled this year and hope they do it again.
    9/27-Rusko @The Catalyst
    9/30-The Black Keys @Fox Theater
    10/07-Tokyo Police Club @The Rio Theater
    10/16-Treasure Island Festival
    10/29-Deerhunter @Slims
    11/03-Dr. Dog @The Fillmore
    11/05-Florence & The Machine @Fox Theater
    11/06-Massive Attack/Thievery Corporation @Greek Theater
    12/11-Bassnectar @Fox Theater

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    i don't really know what there was to be confused about, but i agree; for some reason i prefer tents-only. it makes no sense since everything i wanted was right there in the car next to my tent. i guess having only tents made it feel a little more communal whereas the cars set up a wall that people had to navigate around.

i'd really like if they brought back the option to do tent-only camping but still park in a separate lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post

i'd really like if they brought back the option to do tent-only camping but still park in a separate lot.
    I'm pretty sure you could do that this year, they DID have tent only camping.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

there was no option to park in a separate lot though. tent only camping was for peeps who got a ride from someone else
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could do that this year, they DID have tent only camping.
    if you drove in a car, with a camping pass, you car camped.

in theory, you could have bought two different passes, parked in car camping, and camped in tent camping; but i shouldn't have to do that.

i'm talking specifically about how camping worked prior to 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I honestly loved it. It was awesome.

This was my first year camping and I didn't enjoy it whatsoever. First off, it was pretty much mandatory to wake up at 7 to 8 am because of the unbearable heat. We had a tarp over our tent and that didn't do much to shade us from the sun and crazy weather. My group would go to bed typically around 2-3 and wake up when the sun came up, meaning none of us had much sleep at all the entire weekend. Secondly, there were NO open showers, so it was almost impossible to take a shower unless you went at night (the only time there wasn't a 2 hour long line). Thirdly, five of us slept in a three person tent, so it was VERY uncomfortable. I understand this last point was our own fault, but it didn't bring anything positive to my overall experience. Finally, the amount of space they gave us for car camping wasn't nearly the space they promised us. It came out to 3 groups sharing two spots.

With that said, I'm DEFINITELY going to either RV or rent a house/hotel next year.

So the only real problem you had were the showers. Do you expect GV to control the weather or sunrise?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

Ummm I am hearing all this negativity about camping... Im just going to be blunt... Anyone who is complaining about it is probably over 40. Camping to me was half the fun hangin out with your friends and meetin new people in the campgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    Ummm I am hearing all this negativity about camping... Im just going to be blunt... Anyone who is complaining about it is probably over 40. Camping to me was half the fun hangin out with your friends and meetin new people in the campgrounds.
    100% agree with you on the fun part. Some of the most fun times were had relaxing at camp
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda421 View Post
    So the only real problem you had were the showers. Do you expect GV to control the weather or sunrise?
    no, as I mentioned above my problems were:

-the weather
    -waking up early bc of the weather
    -the showers
    -the amount of space they gave us

the sleeping arrangement problem was my fault.

Nonetheless, I wont have to deal with any of these issues if I do RVing or hotel room. No, its not GV's fault for the weather, but one doesn't have to deal with it if they take a different route.

And I'm below 25, not 40.

i can't wait to camp, will be my first time at coachella and i'm looking forward to it....
    been to a few festivals in melbourne where you camp and i love it..

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    -waking up early bc of the weather
    -the showers
    If you woke up early and went to the showers, you would find the line to be quite manageable. That's what I did - beat the Sunrise and shower immediately = easy win. You don't "miss any music" that way as well.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

vinylmartyr

I'm below 40 and I would only camp if it absolutely necessary. I have done it 3 times and it nowhere near as fun for me as sleeping in a nice bed in a house with air conditioning.

We camped once, and it was really rough. We haven't camped since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what