Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camping this year: Like or Dislike?

Default Re: Camping this year: Like or Dislike?

I loved the car camping but I guess thats because I was pretty much in the section with all the dealers and like 10 mins from a bathroom

Agreed, more showers and space out food vendors better. I miss having Spicy Pie on the middle column (or should I say Connect 4 ave). But please put showers back on the perimeter and make away with the useless fences! Oh and have more wristbands for the people who don't have the luxury of arriving at noon (I was fine just feel bad for those who weren't).
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

Banned

camping was awesome ill do it every year. being able to walk around match bowls play beer pong in the morning while waiting for the day to start.
    the showers were gay but u just had to know the right times to go.

Lurker

Thumbs up Re: Camping this year: Like or Dislike?

This was my first Coachella experience and I was supposed to camp alone, at the last moment me and some friends decided to all camp on the my spot and he bought a spot before the sold out.
    First: we get there and they put us in lines of cars on this lawn area for searching witch was cool cause everything was stashed... However; when we get to the point of being searched the guy searching us had no idea on the amount of beer we could bring and we did.(we had the rule sheet in hand for such encouters) And on top of that nobody searched my person and that i wasnt expecting. Second they let us bring in an array of tools which had saw blades and knives however one of the girls with us they took her tweezers. (WTF made no sense)
    Second: we get to our camping spot in the forum tent area 12a (a pretty small camping area compared to the clusterfuck that became the main lawn area camping) However I do think at the last moment someone realised that they must have sold to many tickets beacuse our campsite WAS NOT 10*30feet.... We measured it. it was 9*23, but it was cool cause the two campistes next to us didnt have tents and allowed us to envade into there empty space.
    Third: You would think if they are going to space people out so far away there would be choices for items like a store to be purchase near you, all they sold in our area is crappy tacos but for a cheap $3.00 a peice. But what was cool is that we brought with us a full sized grill and cooked for us and our neighbors. (Those Canadians, Folks from Colorado, And the guys from Chile fucking rocked! And was cool as shit)However all those idiots thaat showered anytime after the showers open should have known waiting to shower at night was a breeze I waited no more than 3minutes each time. I guess what I'm trying to say is a couple of roach coaches near us would have been cool.
    Fourth:My buddy windsheild got broken and you could tell that the guy who did it he didnt want to man up about the fact that he broke it and it took his lady friend to tell us instead of him. Also it might of been because the colorado guys said they saw him do it and wass going to tell us when they got back to camp. He shelled out the 185$ it cost for my friend to fix the window and the best thing was because the guys from colorado made a sign and put it on there car because those old bastards partied like teenagers all night keeping everyone up (so much for noise curfew) The ole folgies were noticable upset when they read it. (they also wrote in the dirt on my buddies car we love our neighboors. (WE LOVED YOU TOO BUDDY's)
    All and all I must say I am going to go to Coachella again next year and I hope to be in the same camp grounds cause that Lawn Clusterfuck I wouldnt want to be in and those bastard got the short end of the stick, and a six hour wait for being searched is a far cry to the 45minutes I waited.
    AND FOR FUCK SAKE COACHELLA DO NOT ASK GORILLAHS TO CLOSE OUT A GOOD SHOW WITH OLD SONGS AND NO REAL ROCK OUT!!! JayZ, and MUSE need to teach them how to put on a performance.
    Happy Coachella and I enjoyed every drunken moment.

way more good than bad..did feel for the campers who were posted right next to the afterhours stage...this was GV first year allowing other sleeping amenities than tents..of course its not gonna be perfect but i believe they learned and will fix
    "AINT NO PARTAY LIKE A COACHELLA PARTAY CAUSE THE COACHELLA PARTAY DONT STOP!!!! WHATTTT!!!!!???''

[QUOTE=dancinginthedesert;1709919] Maybe if the tunes had been better/more universally acceptable/only lasted until 1 or so, it would have been okay. As it was, they really fucked up. I was up late partying every night like everyone else, but nobody needs to have fucking dub step droning out all conversation at the CAMP GROUND, which should be somewhat of a refuge for your ears. QUOTE]

THANK YOU! Seriously, I'm glad other people feel this way. My tent was very close to the Afterhours stage. Goldenvoice, if you're reading, please understand that a lot of people who have driven for hours to the fest on Thursday night and waited even more hours in the check-in lines might want to get some damn sleep before three days of Coachella. This was the first year I had to buy earplugs and even then I couldn't get any shut eye until the dubstep stopped after 3 AM.

Car camping was a great addition this year along with the ins and outs. Who cares about showering? Bring babywipes to clean yourself off and stop bitching. You're only going to get dirty and sweaty again in a few hours anyway.

The ins and outs helped alleviate the huge crowed at coachella, there were always people leaving at any time.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

Pros > Cons for me & my crew.
    Con - Jefferson Backed up before Ave 49 at Midnight Thurs night.
    Pro - I knew you didn't have to go left on Ave 50 like the signs said, so I went down to Ave 52 which brought us right to the Inspection Lot & saved 2-3hours of wait.

Con - Campsites smaller than 10x30, but for us in El Dorado 2 it was damn close...not like you early birds who got bent over pretty good.
    Pro - Stupid couple next to us abruptly left unannounced while we were setting up tent, so we sequestered their space. BAM!!!! 20x60 (almost) space for 3 ppl.

Con - Showers.
    Pro - Ready Bath wipes.

Con - Long ass walk into Festival from middle of El Dorado 2.
    Pro - Close to the Gen Store & all the various new camping activities.

Con - porto potties
    Pro - Western most porto potties never had a line & I managed to time my deuce drops right after the Camode Crew emptied them out.

Pro - with the additional space, we put the canopy on the fire lane end and we had front row seating to gawk at ur bare nakedness.
    Pro - great neighbors! Even the ones across the fire lane.

Firelane - Car - Open Space
    Firelane - Canopy - Tent

For $55 between 3 ppl for 3 days/4 nights, you cannot beat that.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

it was dirty. it was epic. it was the dirty epic
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

the generator spotlight in the middle of our 23 car block that ran until 5am was fucking bullshit too...
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Lurker

I'm feeling 50/50 about the situation.

We left L.A. Friday around 6:30pm to head down to Indio. The traffic was not too bad. Got there around 8:45-9ish Friday night. I made the mistake of assuming most people would show up early on Thursday and if not Thurdsay, that by 9pm Friday, the car traffic into the festival would have died down. I was wrong. It took three hours from when we exited the freeway to actually park our car on the car camping grounds. We ran into the festival just in time to catch the last two/three Jay Z songs and whoever was playing in the Doo Lab.

It was fun to set up a tent and camp, and it was even better to have the car right next to us. And the best part was being able to walk back to the car and get in the late afternoon nap (and another attempt at a shower at 8pm on Saturday, which wasn't as worse but not much better)

Saturday morning, 7:30am...we head to the showers hoping to get clean for the day's festivities. Again, making the mistake of assuming there would be a little traffic but nothing as insane as it was. We walk up (at 7:30am!?) and there was a LONG line going out of the shower area. When we finally got up to the fence, there were more lines. The crowd control was horrendous, and you couldn't tell where lines began and where they eneded. It was more like a maze and I'm sure if I was crafty enough I could have managed to get in. After about an hour of waiting, I said screw it, cleaned my face at the sinks, used baby wipes and opted out of the shower.

Also, huge mistake on not bringing ear plugs (I take responsibility for this one). Some guy who got in early Saturday morning into the very end of the camp grounds was screaming "Wake up" to everyone. He woke me up...and I was pissed.

Come Sunday morning, we decided to just leave and hit Palm Springs for some fun. Our feet were in pain and we couldn't do the shower shenanigens for another round.

I will not be camping again for Coachella. Hotels are the way to go. Being in the sun for 4+ hours BEFORE the festival actually starts can really take a toll on a person. This was the "coolest" Coachella I ever experienced, yet because I was camping, a lot of the time was spent baking in the sun. By 8 at night, we were all drained and had to push ourselves to make it through the sets we wanted to see. It probably didn't help with how crowded it got later inside.

I am not out of shape either. I do intense cardio six days a week so I have good stamina, but I felt dead at the end of the weekend.

It was only in the high-80's / low-90's - and I live in Arizona - so it wasn't THAT hot, but being in the sun with four hours of sleep because of the stage and the people around you make it hard to enjoy 12 hours of the actual festival and that's the real reason I went.

It also probably didn't help that we had some of the loudest ravers girls next to us and couldn't get much sleep. They were nice, just a bit on the annoying side.

The stage shouldn't be in the campgrounds either.

Camping for a festival may work for some, but not for me. I'll gladly pay a little more in advance for AC and a bed. I could see how someone's entire Coachella experienced was ruined by car camping. It didn't ruin mine because i wouldn't let it, but I can certainly see how it can kill someone's enthusiasm.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 04-20-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    It was only in the high-80's / low-90's - and I live in Arizona - so it wasn't THAT hot, but being in the sun with four hours of sleep because of the stage and the people around you make it hard to enjoy 12 hours of the actual festival and that's the real reason I went.

Camping for a festival may work for some, but not for me. I'll gladly pay a little more in advance for AC and a bed.

I'm from Tucson too (though I live in Hermosa Beach now) and I totally agree. The weather wasn't too bad, but when that morning sun hits, you can forget about sleeping in OR feeling comfortable. And you get a little sweat going too and then you remember that you can't get in a shower either. Totally frustrating.

Next year I'm doing the condo thing with my friends. Sounds like you have the right idea too!

I loved my tent only camping spot, it kept all the Pre 2010 Coachella goodness. Exept that we had no vendors; oh and we had a hose instead of showers, but that was good enough.

Got lucky with camping I guess. Plenty of room for two 2-person tents as well as chairs and open area, RIGHT by the Lot 2 entrance to the festival and portopotties, which was also far enough away to not be bothered by the DJ tent. Our neighbors were chill, and I had my bike so getting around was easy.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Not enough showers, not enough filtered water stations, no real foot traffic control. Campground vendors camped behind the vendor booths, in what was supposed to be a vendor only area. Yeah, right! We had millions of people stumbling over the fences, caution tape, our tents, kicking dirt into our kitchens and trying to fill up buckets/bottles/showers/pools with our sinks (that were only operational 40% of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    I've camped for the last 4 years. And it was not a loooong walk. When you came early you were closest to the camping entrance. And how was the other camp ground retarded? You say they had showers and portos? Usually there were showers and portos along every single wall for the single campground. This year there was only one set in the forum. And I saw an insane line in the main campground.

So stop pretending to be some kind of authority. It's annoying
    I'm not entirely sure what you're implying with "pretending". Pretending to have camped before? BUSTED! I totally made that up! Jesus, no winder I never post on these boards. It's filled with dumb, condescending, insanely paranoid twats.

I camped in 06. It was much smaller, but half of the campgrounds were a parking lot, so no, you were not close to the entrance. The showers were back by the vendors. Not close. I was there.

In 08 I camped in the Quiet Camping group back by the scoreboard. Yes, the showers and portos were close, but it was still a short hike to the entrance. No shorter than the one from the forum tents. I was there.

The only things that were a long walk from the forum tents were the clubhouse/food vendor area of the main campground. But you didn't need to walk to the vendors, because you had your own in forum. You didn't have to walk far to showers, because you had your own. And regardless of whether there were long lines of portos previously or not, I never once waited to get into the bathrooms in the forum camping. Non-issue.

The only thing not in the forum ten camping that could maybe be seen as a "penalty" was not being in the party. But if you really love listening to shitty dance music, you could walk to it, then just turn around and go get real sleep when you were ready. Look at all these people complaining about the noise in the main campground. It was a terrible madhouse. At least in years previous it was karaoke and a bar, not a DJ until 3 am.

If you're at a festival complaining about walking, then maybe you should reconsider what the fuck you're doing there. You didn't fucking walk far to the entrance, so yes, I am an authority on that. I know what a long walk is. That wasn't one.

So yes. There was nothing penalizing about being there early. I never waited in a 3 hour shower line in the forum tents. Consider yourself lucky and shut the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you're implying with "pretending"
    I'm fairly certain I said "pretending to be an authority." As in your 3 years of camping makes your opinion so much more meaningful then mine [especially considering I've camped for 4]. So consider the majority of this bullshit rant unread. Lurk fucking more, asshole
    Last edited by PrettyRagdoll; 04-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

You didn't read my post? That makes me so sad I could cry. You've camped 4 years! I've camped 3! I can't believe I didn't properly suck your cock enough when clearly YOU are the authority around here!

Jesus. Shut up.

It was so good. There were some rough spots - it was hot, it was dirty, noisy, uncomfortable, the porter potties were godly disgusting/unsanitary, and all of those things are the opposite of ideal when hungover like everyone was. BUT, we got through that shit together, it was like a zen lesson. I went to iHop after Coachella and went in the bathroom, I never thought I'd be so happy to be in a shitty public bathroom like that. The ease of making new friends was super chill. Drugs were readily available.

I never appreciated my shower and mattress like I do now haha. Camping was the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    You didn't read my post? That makes me so sad I could cry. You've camped 4 years! I've camped 3! I can't believe I didn't properly suck your cock enough when clearly YOU are the authority around here!

Jesus. Shut up.
    Seriously? Just go die. I hear the supplies for that are cheap on the street, so just make that happen. Not once did I pretend my opinion was the end all be all, like you did. Did I write a long ass rant because my opinion differed? No. So once again, go die. Or at the very least, get some fucking prozac. If you want a cock to suck, you could probably find that on the street as well.

Oh and if you're to much of a pussy to kill yourself then I have to say once again: lurk fucking more

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

You are boring. That was all so incredibly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Got lucky with camping I guess. Plenty of room for two 2-person tents as well as chairs and open area, RIGHT by the Lot 2 entrance to the festival and portopotties, which was also far enough away to not be bothered by the DJ tent. Our neighbors were chill, and I had my bike so getting around was easy.
    Oh really? I though tent camping was f**king pathetic. At least WET camping was. No one could tell where the lines were so we ended up 2 inches away from our neighbors.
    I just kept walking past the car camping with all of the grass (rather than dirt) and vendors right by and regretting not shelling out the money. Our site was farther and DEAD quiet (at least by my standards, I don't mind noise at all).

First time camping so I cannot compare, but the Forum was practically paradise. What I saw of the El Dorados was like District 9 compared to our little lot. (Sorry?) Sure, you had to wait a LONG time to take a shower... but you're fucking camping. You're lucky to wash your hands like a "civilized" person, let alone take a shower. Way too many other positives to list any negatives. The Color Me Badd every morning was clearly not a positive, but Goldenvoice had no control over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Lion View Post
    My new gay friend who was camping with us banged a small Asian looking Canadian in the porta potty...

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Car camping had its moments that for sure....was able to bring in a full size grill and cooked for about 20-25 people for each meal...that was cool! Showers were a joke though....wait for 2-3 hours for a shower......no water to even wash your hands from noon to 8PM.......STUPID! A sprinkler in each camping area would have been WAY better I think! We did meet some really great people though that we would never have met if not for camping! We would do it again but with a hotel room on the side to shower in and perhaps a pool!!!!
    This is part of the problem. People who drove in simply drove in and had the run of the place, the closest spots to the actual venue. Meanwhile, tent campers were made to walk well over a mile with all their shit in order to find their distant spot in the first place, then having to make the trek (and I don't feel at all bad about calling it a trek, though I sort of wish there was a word that would further describe how much of a trek it really was) on foot back and forth the whole damn weekend. It was like getting shit on over and over for not being one of the idiots who really fucked camping up by being allowed to drive their shit-heap wrecks onto the grounds to pollute the whole CAMPING theme. Just a thought.... but, like I've said, what do I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sanchdaniel View Post
    I loved my tent only camping spot, it kept all the Pre 2010 Coachella goodness. Exept that we had no vendors; oh and we had a hose instead of showers, but that was good enough.
    LONG LIVE THE HOSE!

Quote Originally Posted by ELECtROjan View Post
    the generator spotlight in the middle of our 23 car block that ran until 5am was fucking bullshit too...
    I saw that and thought, "well that's a shitty place to put that light."

Which one of you had the tent butted up against the generator exhaust!?

I loved the car camping this year. The past two years of lugging my shit to and from the parking area sucked... I also liked being able to charge my phone and camera from my truck!

The only problems were:
    1)the line to check your vehicle... i thought they were going to have people park in their camping spot and inspect them there. That would have been better and made more sense IMO.
    2)the line for the shower... i thought they were going to rent more trailers and have them spread around the camping areas like years past. (i guess it would make it difficult to get the water trucks to them tho).

Other than those two hiccups, I thought it was great. I'm just glad I wasn't camping next to the DJ party area!!! And I'm glad I didn't come too late on thursday!

Probably the only real complaint was the line for cars should have been split up to Car Camping & Companion Lot Parking well before we got inspected....remember this cluster fuck? X=car camping, O=Companion (i'm guessing if you didn't have a camping pass, you did not get the X inside the O, correct me if I'm wrong)

O......................................X
    O......................................X
    O O O O................X X X X X
    ........O................X
    .......O O..............X X
    ......O O O............X X X
    ....O O O O O........X X X X X
    .....O O O O O......X X X X X
    ......O O O O O....X X X X X
    .......O O O O O..X X X X X
    ........O O O O OX X X X X
    .........O O O OXOX X X X
    ..........O O OXOXOX X X
    ...........O OXOXOXOX X
    ............OXOXOXOXOX
    ............HHHHHHHHHH
    ...........(Inspection)

.............^ ^ ^ ^
    .............| | | | |
    .............| | | | |

.............CAR FLOW

Some time could be saved by splitting up the cars pre-inspection imo.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

I was in tent only camping this year and as expected had an awesome time:

Yes, the walk was a long one when we got there but I got picked up halfway by a golf buggy. Would that make me hate my experience...no

Yes, the showers were long so I got up at 6:30 and chatted to people in line. Did that make me whinge and bitch...no

Yes, the floodlights in the campground made it seem like it was day at 3am in the morning but did it make me hate GV...no.

Heck there was a lot of things that might have made it comfortable but you were camping at a festival in the desert with a fuckload of people, if you want comfort stay in a hotel. You rough it and don't sleep much and put up with some shit but so did everyone else. Luckily all of people I hung out with in tent only camping were such bitches and put that stuff aside and just had fun.

Pros far outweighed cons and if you can't handle the things you were whinging about then enjoy your hotel next year. The only people I do have compassion for was the car camping right near the late night entertainment, that would have been rough.

I am sure GV will fix the shower issue for next year as well as look at all the new issues that came up.