Thread: My 1st Coachella (review)

Post My 1st Coachella (review)

Disclaimer:::::
    This is just my review for those who want to read up on one's 1st experience of Coachella.
    You can choose to read it or not, it doesn't matter. Debate wether you agree or disagree, again, it doesn't matter. Feel free.
    I warn you, this review is rather long.

This was my gf and I's first Coachella. We drove from San Diego & we couldn't get a hotel room or a camping spot anywhere (everything was booked way ahead of time) so we didn't have a place to shower/brush our teeth but we slept in our mini van each night (I'll be sure to plan for this better next year
    But I had the brilliant idea of bribing a guy at the nearest 24-hour fitness to let us use their showers/bathrooms all weekend when we needed it since getting a shower was all I really cared about.
    FUCK that desert heat! I must have lost at least 8 lbs. of sweat the whole weekend lol

I'm a fan of all genres of music, anything from HipHop, to Country, to Rock, to classical, to Electronic music. You name it I like it.
    I believe that you must at least learn to appreciate every type of music and understand it in it's own way.
    With that being said, it was incredibly hard to catch all the artists we wanted to see. We barely had ANY time to sit and relax, there were SO MANY bands that were a "MUST-SEE"! We were bouncing stages ALL DAY LONG. Some bands we could only catch about 10-15 minutes of each since there were many performances that were playing at the same time...
    But I'd say we caught about 90% of the artists we wanted to see!

There were SOO MANY people from ALL around the world! Especially from the UK and Australia!
    (I LOVE Australians! I seriously want to live there one day. They're so fukin awesome and the most down the earth people I've ever met! LOL)

I'm still pretty worn-the-fuck-out
    I'm so incredibly tired, mentally and physically.
    But it was WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

I'm a huge rave-goer (massives in L.A. mostly)
    Rave massives will never be the same again LOL
    Coachella was on a WHOLE new level!
    But you can't really compare the two in a sense.

First of all, there were way too many drunk mutherfukers starting shit. I LOVE the atmosphere of a rave way more than Coachella, for obvious reasons
    There were a few D-bags @ Coachella that made me think "Dude, seriously?You need to just to take a muthafukin pill and chill the fuck out!
    Secondly and surprisingly, there were VERY FEW security guards at Coachella. Raves these days have WAY too many security guards that are on "power-trips" that it can really kill your experience. Really, the only places were there were security was in the parking lots, entrances, and VIP areas. Every where else was like a "free-for-all"
    It was fukin sick and gives you room to be a lot less paranoid
    Also, WAY too many little kids, like families bringing their toddlers and shit, which was rather annoying since I really wouldn't consider Coachella to be a "family friendly festival"
    But idk, that's just me...

There was a moshpit during Bassnectar's set, which was pretty fukin stupid. One guy got his nose broken and blood was just POURING out of his nose like a fukin faucet, people were telling him to keep his head down as he was being guided out of the crowd so that all the blood wasn't spraying on other people, but he was ENTIRELY too fucked up and it seemed like he didn't even really realized that his nose was bleeding, i was like wtf man!?

My girl and I were trying to "pace" ourselves throughout the weekend so friday night we went to sleep early since we had to be up early for Saturday morning's "must-see" bands/DJs. So we left right before Jay-Z played on Friday and a couple other bands, but we weren't too bummed since we can hear them perfectly fine from the parking lot lol
    I heard Beyonce made a surprise appearance...

Tiesto was pretty sick, my expectations for him was pretty low since I don't like any of his new stuff. But he played "Adagio For Strings" (my favorite trance song of all time from Tiesto) and that was pretty EPIC!

I'm half mexican so I HAD TO catch Calle 13, they were really fun to watch LOL
    That fool is crazy and very entertaining!

Vampire Weekend was pretty sick.

The Temper Trap was surprisingly REALLY GOOD! They really caught me off guard as to how good of a voice the lead singer has. He really gets into it, caressing the mic almost making love to it with his voice LOL
    the ladies were going CRAZY for him! it was pretty tight.

I'm a HUGE dubstep-head so I was anxiously waiting to hear the dubstep DJs and IMO the best set has to go to Pablo Hassan, simply becuz he mixed almost EVERY single dubstep song I LOVE into his set, it was back-to-back amazingness!

The best lazer/lightshow has to go to Benni Bennassi, (I was completely SOBER and I was trippin THE FUCK OUT!!) I could not believe how amazing they LIT UP that tent during his set!

I've seen Deadmau5 many times at raves of course, but his set at Coachella was THE BEST I've ever seen from him.

Another band that I'll never forget was Passion Pit...
    Out of all the artists/DJs/bands, Passion Pit was the most appreciative for being able to perform at Coachella.
    In his words,
    "This is amazing, I can't believe how many people there are here, we just released our album about a month ago, and we've NEVER played in front of this many people. This is truly a DREAM COME TRUE, honestly. We thank you from the bottom of our heart. We love you Coachella!"
    You can tell that he was almost at a loss of words and his emotions of the moment were starting to over-take him, and I don't blame him not one bit! LOL
    The ocean of bodies, hands in the air, etc.
    It must be SO AWESOME to be a rock star and play in front of nearly 90K people like that.

KASKADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLED THAT STAGE!!!!
    They released TONS and TONS of balloons into the crowd, the WHOLE tent was FILLED with white balloons and bubbles, it was PICTURE PERFECT!!!

David Guetta, I personally think his set at last year's TAO was better.
    But he always knows how to get his audience PUMPED!

Pheonix was SICK!
    We were so dead tired by Sunday that we just wanted to see them play "Lisztomania" and call it quits.
    All the rest of the bands we didn't really give a fuck about anymore...

Maybe if we had an air conditioned room, an actual bed to sleep in, etc. we probably would have made it through the whole weekend.
    Plus, we had to be at work early on Monday so we couldn't stay to see Gorillaz and a few other performances Sunday night, so I'm pretty bummed about that, I'm sure they would have been pretty fukin sick to see live.
    (If someone can post a video of the Gorillaz performance, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!)

I'm sorry for making this so long lol
    I can go on and on about EVERY SINGLE performance we saw...

Glitch Mob!

Rusko!

Infect Mushroom!

Papparazzi!

Orbital!

2 Many DJs!

But I'm gonna end my review with the following.......

By far, the BEST live concert performance, not only of the whole weekend, but the best performance I've ever seen IN MY LIFE...
    no joke...
    hands down, was.....

*MUSE*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I haven't seen many rock-bands live before so this is just "MY EXPERIENCE" and my personal opinion.

I've always liked their music and they were headlining so I was excited to see them, but I wasn't CRAZY for them. My girlfriend is another story, next to Kings of Leon, The Cure and The Killers, she had waited her WHOLE LIFE to see Muse live.

In my honest opinion, words cannot describe how amazing that performance was, every single song they played sounded as if you were listening to them on their album, Matthew Bellamy has SUCH a talented voice!
    (I hate it when you go to see an artist play live and they change it up to some whack-ass shit)
    Everything from the lighting engineer...
    the pyrotechnics...
    the atmosphere...
    how they worked the crowd...
    EVERY single aspect of MUSE's performance was simply......

BREATHTAKING!!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR

<33333
    I LOVE YOU COACHELLA!!!!!

*PEACE*

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: My 1st Coachella (review)

Quote Originally Posted by DCSPARCO View Post
    I've always liked their music and they were headlining so I was excited to see them, but I wasn't CRAZY for them. My girlfriend is another story, next to Kings of Leon, The Cure and The Killers, she had waited her WHOLE LIFE to see Muse live.
    So, you're girlfriend is, what, like 8 years old?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    So, you're girlfriend is, what, like 8 years old?
    haha
    No... she's turning 20.
    Maybe that was a little too much of an exaggeration on my part.
    My apologies...

Allow me to rephrase,
    "she had waited 'MANY YEARS' to see Muse live"

better?

Tiesto was epic? Stay the fuck home next year.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Tiesto was epic? Stay the fuck home next year.
    "My expectations for him was pretty low since I don't like any of his new stuff. But he played "Adagio For Strings" (my favorite trance song of all time from Tiesto) and that was pretty EPIC!"

I am not a Tiesto fan by any means. I use to be but his new shit completely killed it for me...
    DJs like Armin Van Burren, Above&Beyond are 10x better at producing trance than Tiesto becuz they stick to that epic melodic progressive trance that everyone LOVES.
    I LOVE trance just as much as I love any other genre of music and if you can't learn to appreciate what some of us get out of that type of electronic music, then maybe YOU should take your ass to a different stage... idk. Seems pretty logical doesn't it?

There was a point in time when Tiesto was "good". Possibly the best (#1 DJ in the world for many years) back in the day. He frikken MASTERED progressive trance...
    "Just Be"
    "Adagio for Strings"
    "Traffic"
    etc. etc. etc.

You can bash on him all you want & you can beg to differ, but his fame/wealth/accomplishments speaks for himself.
    Tiesto was the 1st DJ that got me into trance in the first place but he took it to a new level that doesn't fit my taste.

I caught his set HOPING that he would play his old stuff but I was pretty doubtful...
    From what I've heard he's been playing a lot of his sets from his new Kaleidoscope album, which is such a waste of his previous talents/masterpieces.
    But when he played "Adagio for Strings" that did it for me. That's all I wanted to hear/see him play.

Maybe trance isn't your "cup of tea" and that's fine but idk if you saw how many people were at the Coachella stage when he performed, I mean there was an OCEAN of people, ALL of them with their hands in the air & dancing to his set...??????
    I really hope you weren't one of the thousands and THOUSANDS of people in that same crowd.

Before Coachella, I was reading about ALL these people BASHING on him and pissed off cuz he was playing at the main stage. So I was pretty surprised to see THAT many people at that stage :/
    For all of you that hate him so much, why "feed the flame" by paying to see him live....?

I don't get it.
    lol

Sorry, buddy, you have shit for taste. Hopefully, you'll grow out of it. There's still hope.

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Sorry, buddy, you have shit for taste. Hopefully, you'll grow out of it. There's still hope.
    hahahaha

maybe you're right.

im over this.

-vomit-

damn. you guys are rude! still irritated by the crowds and heat of coachella I guess?! well, DCSPARCO, i thought your review was nice and I agree with most of it. I too slept in my car and left early Sunday for pretty much the same reasons. Don't listen to any of the posters above...they're just butt hurt because they're so stupid they're still looking for their cars in the parking lot. lol. hope you and your girl come back next year, and its good too read at least ONE mostly positive review!

Quote Originally Posted by DCSPARCO View Post
    hahahaha

maybe you're right.
    BTW I hope you had a great time. See you next year

Quote Originally Posted by paniikd View Post
    damn. you guys are rude! still irritated by the crowds and heat of coachella I guess?! well, DCSPARCO, i thought your review was nice and I agree with most of it. I too slept in my car and left early Sunday for pretty much the same reasons. Don't listen to any of the posters above...they're just butt hurt because they're so stupid they're still looking for their cars in the parking lot. lol. hope you and your girl come back next year, and its good too read at least ONE mostly positive review!
    Lighten up, douchebag. We're just busting his chops. He seems like a good kid.

Talking Re: My 1st Coachella (review)

Lighten up, douchebag. We're just busting his chops. He seems like a good kid.[/QUOTE]

How was I supposed to know you guys were joking? I apologize for reading your responses wrong but this is the internet, which means its hard to tell when people are being sarcastic. I believe thats why they invented smiley faces to help distinguish when something was a joke.

i.e. your a douche

^^he must not post on forums very much =P
    thats just the nature of the interwebz bro
    99% of the time... it's all fun a games haha

but thanks a lot, paniikd I didn't really expect for some to take the time and read my long ass review but that's awesome
    I'll def be out there next year!

& Burning Man perhaps??
    I've also never been but I've heard a lot about it

is it really all what its hyped up to be?
    Worth the investment?

Although it was worth every penny, I practically sold my left nut to go to Coachella :/

anyone care to give their 2 cents?

I love your enthusiasm to post a long review like that. Don't lose the good energy. Cynicism is overrated. (Trust me, I've had my chops busted many a time on this board).
    Always wear a helmut