Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else a little pissed off about 2010?

Default Is anyone else a little pissed off about 2010?

there could be threads about this already, but I am in my way home and now its reflecting time.

For 6 years now I have attended this festival and loved every second of it... Every MIA disaster, every David Bowie/Radiohead false rumor, every Daft Punk moment, but this year was different. The music was fine (okay), but it felt strange. I mean the layout of the dance tent this year?!? WTF!

I have always protected this festival like an over protective parent, quickly denouncing any people who talk trash on the festival as a whole; sure I was pissed when Jack Johnson played, but that year was still great. Unfortunately I am now going to face my hypocrisy like a big boy and say that I did not like this years installment of Coachella. Hate me, rip me apart, call me names. In the past I would have done the same thing, but Coachella has now become much like the Simpson's, where it is just a caricature of itself.

I now drop the microphone, and walk away.
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Is anyone else a little pissed off about 2010?

Deadmau5 and Tiesto brought in all the Raver Kids. Most mixed emotions after a Coachella probably ever. Still working on my final review.

Team Coachella's Chellas

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11???????
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I don't think it's Coachella, I just think you're getting old. And I feel about 80% of what you said is true.

Very mixed as well but I am still collecting thoughts to type out. Yesterday my tolerance level was reached during Florence, they were amazing the crowd was DOUCHE, I left the tent and kept walking to the exit between Gobi and Mojave (house we rented was walking distance.) and was truly pissed on the entire walk.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

Quote Originally Posted by Failed State View Post
    there could be threads about this already, but I am in my way home and now its reflecting time.

For 6 years now I have attended this festival and loved every second of it... Every MIA disaster, every David Bowie/Radiohead false rumor, every Daft Punk moment, but this year was different. The music was fine (okay), but it felt strange. I mean the layout of the dance tent this year?!? WTF!

I have always protected this festival like an over protective parent, quickly denouncing any people who talk trash on the festival as a whole; sure I was pissed when Jack Johnson played, but that year was still great. Unfortunately I am now going to face my hypocrisy like a big boy and say that I did not like this years installment of Coachella. Hate me, rip me apart, call me names. In the past I would have done the same thing, but Coachella has now become much like the Simpson's, where it is just a caricature of itself.

I now drop the microphone, and walk away.
    Well put. :/
    I'd do suprefan.

Anything that's popular long enough will attract a lot of undesirable people. The '99 fest with 25k people was 100% amazing and my favorite Coachella ever but GV took a big loss there. There was just too many people to deal with this year.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Oh Jesus Christ, can you come up with a lazier excuse than "you're getting old"?

Believe it or not, that answer doesn't apply to every situation ever.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Oh Jesus Christ, can you come up with a lazier excuse than "you're getting old"?

Believe it or not, that answer doesn't apply to every situation ever.
    I am only 25? I didn't even see that other post. What a bag of whores that gentleman is.
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

I don't think he was talking to you failed.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I could, but whats the point. Let's face it, Coachella is getting too big for itself. Too many motherfuckin people.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    I don't think he was talking to you failed.
    I know, I didnt make that clear in my rebut... I was talking about the post much earlier in the thread... thanks
    -The Grim Reaper

too many people because they oversold it. bad and fucking stupid idea.

It was a total clusterfuck, but I still managed to get some great moments out of the experience. Meeting James Murphy and Nancy Wang, and being on the rail for Gorillaz are towards the top of that list.

Problem is, I think GV has no problem with that... I'm worried they think that this year was so great, and every year from here on out is gonna be like this.
    Coachella 2011:
    Friday- Lil Wayne's first performance out of prison
    Saturday- balls
    Sunday- more balls
    -The Grim Reaper

I tend to agree, it was under-whelming and with more frustrations than anything. It felt like 60,000 people were all trying to go to Main Stage-Outdoor-Main Stage all at the same time. When you cram more people in to one space, people tend to behave more like animals.
    I think that was the difference this year. More people felt like animals herded in a overcrowded pen. Rarely before this year did you see people running/pushing to get thru the crowds. The relaxed, feel-good vibe left Coachella this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    I tend to agree, it was under-whelming and with more frustrations than anything. It felt like 60,000 people were all trying to go to Main Stage-Outdoor-Main Stage all at the same time. When you cram more people in to one space, people tend to behave more like animals.
    I think that was the difference this year. More people felt like animals herded in a overcrowded pen. Rarely before this year did you see people running/pushing to get thru the crowds. The relaxed, feel-good vibe left Coachella this year.
    i agree, i thought there would never be another Rage moment, but every night was like that at the mainstage.
    -The Grim Reaper

Actually, the crowd during Muse was very well behaved. But once Muse ended and the Tiesto crowd mowed through everyone to get in, it killed the good vibes.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post

Is this from the new 'Where's Waldo's douchebag brother'?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    what the fuck!

Too crowded this year - but otherwise, another great music festival from GV. Traffic was bad on Friday but the situation was sorted out for Saturday and Sunday. Next time, just sell 10,000 less tickets and everything will be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanzie View Post
    This year will be awesome, like every year.

I was annoyed the first day I got caught in the mess but then I readjusted and made it work. And yes I did whine a bit.

Yes, Coachella is more popular but that happens with anything that is good. You can't expect things to stay the same forever.

I'm sure the organizers are under tons of pressure to make each year more successful so it causes them to book artists that don't always fit the coachella mold.

The average person doesn't care enough about most of the acts I like to
    make the trek to the desert to see them. The average person wants to see a top selling dance act or a band that is currently hot than pavement, devo or fnn.

All in all I had a lot of fun.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I only had a problem when
    1) Left Gil-Scott Heron and people were tryna get into La Roux
    2) MGMT bored me and took me 25 mins to get from outdoor to Mojave
    3) Finding my car every night

Other than that I didnt mind the more people. I heard showers in the campgrounds were crazy tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Coachella 2010=
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    So true.

This was only my 3rd one. I still had a great time and on Friday, I got there early and got to see all of my 'must-sees" that day. I could also walk around alone that nite and not be scared.

But what made the difference on the 2nd day was that I couldn't just drift into a band I was mildly curious about and be able to see them. I found that I had to pick and plan and get to the stage at least 20 mins early and wait. I was tired but at least I got to see some of my must -sees. (I'm not even counting MGMT or Muse because I was so damned faraway). Muse did bring it. Matthew's voice reminds me of Freddy Mercury....almost.

Sunday wasn't so bad. I got to drift a bit: from King Khan to Rusko. ( Was loving Rusko). But too many people made Florence and the Machine not worth to me. I was thankful for that rose garden. Never crowded, I could chill before i went to do battle for my next band. (Which I did for C. Gainsbourg).

So, just a lot of people was my only complaint, and staying late and trying to get out of the lot. (I didn't see the closing of the Gorlliaz and we made it out fairly easily. And I really enjoyed them. No sucky songs).
    Always wear a helmut

Proof that the GV jumped shark at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah;
    Actually, the crowd during Muse was very well behaved. But once Muse ended and the Tiesto crowd mowed through everyone to get in, it killed the good vibes.
    I felt similar between FNM and muse. I was being shoved and pushed to the side before FNM even left the stage. This was my first Coachella and I was turned off by all the pushing and shoving but I still had a fantastic experience listening to great music.

Waiting a few hours on Thursday to get into the campgrounds was a little ridiculous. The whole point showing up early is to get in and not have to deal with the masses. And the way the taxi drop-off was set up on the opposite side of the camping entrance was a little absurd... Safe to say I didn't get dropped off there and have to haul my gear to my death. Oh and there wasn't anything too out of the ordinary about Gorillaz or Muse's performance. When Snoop Dogg showed up on the video monitors people were freaking out like he was on stage, hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Failed State View Post
    i agree, i thought there would never be another Rage moment, but every night was like that at the mainstage.
    I didn't have that experience, at least not Friday. I was at the mainstage, by the middle rail (dead center) for TCV, LCD, and Jay-Z, and in 5 years at Coachella, that was by far the most room I've ever had for a headliner. The front section even looked incredibly spread out. It was crazy to me, since the rest of the day felt so packed.

I missed the mainstage Saturday altogether, but Sunday, again, wasn't so crazy for me. I'm really not used to having room to move for headliners, but this year, I did.