Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastikman...

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Plastikman...

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    Holy fuck.

I almost made the mistake of leaving his set early to see Gorillaz. It was hilarious to see the darkest of fears brewing in the deep pupils of all the mau5heads and the Ed Banger teeny bopper kandi club kids when he didn't mix Pon De Flor with a Heads Will Roll remix. I expected it to be way less danceable like Time Warp but he incorporated some mind-fucking bass drops in there. Amazing set.
    THIS. I was torn between missing AFP for him, but 5 minutes into his set, I was not about to leave.

I remember about 3 minutes in, two guys next to me asked "is he going to drop something?" I turned to them and said "this is minimal techno man, its old school stuff", and they responded with "oh, well shit we're leaving. this is too slow."

Whatever. More room to dance!

But seriously - his set - especially the 2nd half - might have been the best Sahara act all weekend. And that means ALOT coming from a guy who wanted to see Orbital more than anyone else. I literally just kinda laughed for about 10 mins after he ended, saying "oh my god oh my god".

lowfront

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I almost thought that he was going to just keep going, because it was past 10 30 and I thought, oh shit, they are going to let him rip us apart til midnight. IF ONLY!!

I thought the same thing

Shame on GV for not letting him keep going

but can't complain, fuck that was the best thing ever

That performance really opened me up to another level...I didnt expect myself to be emotionally affected by it but wow i felt every second of that
    I Got The Munchies like a Homeless Person!!

Impeccable. Gorillaz set pales in comparison
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

This show was so good I was laughing

The videos and the audio were all top notch. The sound was fucking LOUD. The visuals were way better than I expected. But I was hoping there would be more integration of the lights on the roof, the lights in the back, and other stuff. Instead it was mostly just the LED screen in front of him. Which was cool. But it seemed like even the lightshow was minimal even at the grooviest times. Shit was just wild out of control. I'm so happy I saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brochella View Post
    This show was so good I was laughing
    I did a few times too. I also spent some time just watching it. It was all very impressive.

I left after 20 minutes because my body literally said no more. I was too tired from the entire weekend that I could barely stand. I limped back to see Gorillaz and was underwhelmed. I wish I had more energy to appreciate what I saw, but it was just too much to take in.

But it was definitely dark, hard, and wicked.

Wish I made it
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

did I miss anything from consumed, closer or artifakts?

This may have been the loudest thing I've ever heard...and it was awesome
    '99-'11...

did anyone see the 40 year old gay men orgy train right infront of the sound stage?

felt bad for the guy in the very back bc he wasn't being felt up

Interview with Richie shot the day before the Plastikman performance at the rehearsal house in Palm Springs. Some cool behind-the-scenes footage.

Plastikman Behind-The-Scenes Video

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I think we all had a really fucking special experience in there together.
    as much fun as sweating it up shoulder to shoulder with thousands of people is (which characterizes about 90% of my times in the sahara).. being in there with toilet paper and garbage flowing from the rafters, the palm trees blowing in the wind behind richie's silo, and with plenty enough room for all of us to have our own personal space and just feel that music is something i simply will never forget..

my brother and i would look at each other about every 10 seconds and shake our heads in disbelief.. our girlfriends simply sat and listened, they didn't need to dance.. when it was over i felt like burning every piece of candy i've ever received..

plastikman without a doubt redefined electronic music for me

I have some video, but my internet is slow and I have to upload Orbital still. It'll be here tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

the Sahara took a step back to 90's rave for two hours on Sunday and it was absolutely brilliant. I was pretty underwhelmed about Plastikman going into Coachella but this set blew me away. Well done sir
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

I think the concept of minimal techno was foreign to a lot of people. They wanted everything to be Ed Banger.
    I warned my friends ahead of time that it would be minimal so they woudn't spend the set waiting for something to "drop", and when Plastikman took the stage they instantly got it.

^^^ I was pleasantly surprised by the number of really young kids who "got" it and were dancing their asses off. Personally, the tent being pretty empty really worked for me, lots of space to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by daft$tar View Post
    HA

thats a bold statement sir...
    I know it is. As a 6-year Coachella Veteran, I have to say that his performance rivals almost any I have seen at coachella. It was absolutely epic.

Go ahead and flame away...but, I absolutely and 100% stand behind that statement.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12.1, '12.1, '13.1

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This year's theme is: prostate milking. Please dress accordingly.

Coachella Junkie

In the 3 years I've been, I think the only Sahara performances that were on the level of Plastikman are Aphex and Orbital.

So, a funny story during Plastikman's set...

My friends and I were standing on the right side of the Sarah in front of the first set of speakers and my friend taps me on the shoulder and asks "Hey, is that Tiesto standing right there." I looked over and sure enough...3 or 4 people away, Tiesto was standing next to us. We said Hi to him and he walked further back in the tent where I heard a few other people say "Hey look, it's tiesto."

My friend turns back to me and says "He was probably coming over here to learn something" Indeed. I am sure we all got schooled during Hawtin's set.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12.1, '12.1, '13.1

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This year's theme is: prostate milking. Please dress accordingly.

I said it all along that this should have been conflicting with Gorillaz. Biggest miss of the entire weekend for me. Glad Thom put on an amazing show, but sad that I missed the Plastikman.

Next time, listen to the real music fans. We all knew Gorillaz was gonna be a huge bomb to close out such an awesomeness packed ticket. Richie would have delivered in spades from 10-12.

Need Vids !
    *drink responsibly*

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

plastikman fucking rocked. i should have stayed longer. that shit that looked like a rubix cube was blowing my mind. the bass was electric. the visuals were perfectly timed. i want that LED cage. hawtin never disappoints me <3
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 04-20-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    In the 3 years I've been, I think the only Sahara performances that were on the level of Plastikman are Aphex and Orbital.
    Aphex huh?...don't think I remember this one. When?

It is the god honest truth when I say that my ears are STILL ringing. God damn you Plastikman, I now have permanent hearing damage.

Totally worth it.

Due to some miscommunication with some friends I missed all but 10 minutes of Plastikman, but it's about what I expected, which is pure genius live production.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I loved what I saw of plastikman, it was so incredibly dark and amazing.

Words can't describe how good Plastikman was.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysocal View Post
    I know it is. As a 6-year Coachella Veteran, I have to say that his performance rivals almost any I have seen at coachella. It was absolutely epic.

Go ahead and flame away...but, I absolutely and 100% stand behind that statement.
    Second. 7-years for me at Coachella - not Underworld in 2003, not Daft Punk in 2006, not Radiohead or Kraftwerk in 2004 - no one put together the combination of visual and aural intensity that the Plastikman Live set had.

Daft Punk's pyramid might have been a better overall stage display, but it did not have the impact of Plastikman musically. Richie just kept relentlessly detonating bombs on our heads, only letting up for us to completely trip out on the synchronized visuals of the LED cage, then crushing us again right as we caught our breath. The combo of sound and visuals was the best pound-for-pound package of anything I have ever experienced. And the best part was, Richie was creating it and controlling it all, LIVE, right in front of our eyes, from behind the veil of the LED cage.