Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Performance / Most Disappointing

Default Re: Favorite Performance / Most Disappointing

Favorites: Plastikman hands down number one favorite. Also immensely enjoyed Orbital and King Khan

Disappointed in: Echo and the Bunnymen (we left the set early though so maybe it got better towards the end)
    Coachella '06, '07, '09

Previously "MsTekno"

Quote Originally Posted by cityzun View Post
    Most Disappointing: MGMT, LCD. I only say LCD because, even though I loved it, this is the 2nd time I've seen them and they kinda lost me with New York I love You. By far my least favorite of their songs.
    THIS. I thought when he said 'we have three songs, but can only play one', I was counting on Yea or Daft Punk is Playing at My House. NY I love you was a downer. I still can't believe they didn't play Daft Punk. It would be like MGMT not playingKids. Oh wait...

Favorites
    Friday: The Specials, LCD Soundsystem, Jay-Z
    Saturday: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Hot Chip, Devo
    Sunday: King Khan & the Shrines, Julian Casablancas, Gorillaz

Disappointing
    MGMT, missing Grizzly Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    well....we can blame Murdoc a LITTLE

Best - Flying Lotus and the pure filth sessions at the campgrounds.
    I felt like ass the next mornings but it was worth it.

Worst - (8 hour drive to coachella from the OC. 4 hours was expected and planned for), but the almost 4 hours to drive from the freeway to park, was garbage!
    Stay Classy!

Favorites:
    The Specials-I was glad that the people around me moved out of the way to give me room to skank. Also, the whole band was at the top of their game, dancing, toasting, and just having a great time. It's nice to be able to tell that the band loves to be where they are.

Public Image Ltd.- John Lydon was at the top of his game, just making it an intense, captivating performance. And then to see Lu Edmonds playing a variety of instruments with such a high level of passion pushed the set way higher than my already high expectations, and actually made me glad I waited through Vampire Weekend to be dead center, second row.

Devo- There's a lot to be said about Devo's set. I loved all the new songs they played. They did a surprisingly good job of playing songs the audience didn't know and still have them be into it, if that made any sense. Then when they came out in the yellow jumpsuits and played all my favorites, there was nowhere else I would have rather been. Also, being in Devo really looks like a nice workout routine.

All three bands had an amazing energy, and it probably helps that they're three of my favorites.

Disappointments:
    Vampire Weekend
    Echo & the Bunnymen

For Vampire Weekend, they were only on the list because I was pretty disappointed when I realized I had to sit through it for a good spot for PiL.

Echo & the Bunnymen had a great performance, but the people around me were really ruining the show. There was a drunk guy who would yell whatever Ian said, then add a "Whoo!" at the most inappropriate of times.
    -For example: "If I said, I'd lost my waaayy"
    Guy next to me: "I LOST MY WAY! WHOO!"
    Also, the guy almost started a fight with another audience member.
    And some weird guy named Pan who was hitting on the two girls in front of me quite a bit during the set kind of killed my mood.

Favorite - FNM

Most disappointing - Pavement

Also >The Raveonettes, but only because I wanted the whole band and was really looking forward to them. They did great with just the two of them, but I was still .

Quote Originally Posted by antipasto View Post
    Favorites:

Disappointments:
    Echo & the Bunnymen had a great performance, but the people around me were really ruining the show. There was a drunk guy who would yell whatever Ian said, then add a "Whoo!" at the most inappropriate of times.
    -For example: "If I said, I'd lost my waaayy"
    Guy next to me: "I LOST MY WAY! WHOO!"
    Also, the guy almost started a fight with another audience member.
    And some weird guy named Pan who was hitting on the two girls in front of me quite a bit during the set kind of killed my mood.
    Your point was sufficient until this.

It's a fucking music festival, get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Your point was sufficient until this.

It's a fucking music festival, get over yourself.
    I get that, but if I'm trying to enjoy a band, I don't want to hear someone ranting about how much they're rolling.
    It just kind of irked me.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    For the weekend

Hard to pick one favorite - Muse, AFP, the Specials were my favorites from each day.

Most Disappointing - Pavement. I am a HUGE Pavement fan and had seen them before in their prime. All I could think of watching them at Coachella was that their appearance doesn't match the song content. Seeing them live again, and seeing how old they've gotten was really disheartening. Mostly because I don't go to rock shows to be confronted with the fact that I'm on the wrong side of 30. Their set reminded me of the scene at the end of the film Hollywoodland, where the detective is watching a reel an aging George Reeves made to prove to his Hollywood bosses that he can still play a young action hero. In the reel, he is a step to slow, his moves are sluggish, and if anything i emphasizes his age rather than making him look youthful. That was the Pavement show in a nutshell.
    You have never been a Pavement fan & never will be. That set was stellar. Just because they played a bunch of B sides & rarities you think it sucked.
    You were probably pumpin your fist for singing "thats a pretty nice haircut".

Yes, it's a music festival.

So . . .don't stand RIGHT behind me and proceed to chat about crap throughout an entire set.

I'm a HUGE Pavement fan. They were one of my biggest draws this year, but I'll be the first to admit that they were rather boring. They sounded good, but . . .

Favorites: and i cant say this enough PLASTIKMAN and deadmau5, also loved every bit of the do lab
    Disappointments: how crowded the outdoor stage was , having to miss fever ray and yeah the gorillaz
    Surprises: Fly Lo, Les Claypool, and Matt and Kim
    coachella 06 '07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13' 14'

old school

Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

old school

Rusko was my fave for the wknd as far as electronica goes.
    PiL was very entertaining.
    DEVO as always ruled.
    Mau5' light show rivaled Daft's.
    Julian was superb.
    Sleigh Bells were great but I wished I would've had earplugs for that set.
    Pavment great.
    Gorillaz stage production was disappointing.
    Calle, what the fuck was that shit. The lead singer telling everybody to suck his ass? Go back to south america you spic. I felt embarassed for this daddy yankee wannabe punk bitch. I've got more talent in a single eyelash than that guy & his entire ensemble.

top acts that I witnessed over the weekend:

Gil Scott Heron
    Fever Ray
    Faith No More
    Fying Lotus (gobi)
    Atoms for Peace
    Plastikman (hands down the best experience for me)

Disappointing:
    Z-trip (huge fan, but his set was uninspiring)
    Not having Muse's current stage set up
    Talvin Singh not able to make it to coachella

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I'm a HUGE Pavement fan. They were one of my biggest draws this year, but I'll be the first to admit that they were rather boring. They sounded good, but . . .
    but...?

Fav: Thom Yorke. Played every song I love from The Eraser, 2 Radiohead songs, 1 bad ass song where he recorded his voice multiple times, and 2 other amazing other songs. The wind blowing really hard just made it that much more enjoyable. Who ever didn't enjoy that set is brain dead.

Diss: Julian Casablancas. The best thing he sang was a Strokes song and I think that was just to keep the crowd from leaving, hoping he might play another one later on.
    Modest Mouse, YYY, The XX, Postal Service, Blur, Franz Ferdinand, James Blake, Grimes, Wild Belle, Yeasayer, Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Jake Bugg, Jessie Ware, The Selecter, The Faint, Tegan & Sara, The 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, OMD, Vampire Weekend, New Order, The Evens, Robert DeLong, Savages, Parov Stelar Band

Coachella: 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 2010
    Outside Lands: 08, 2010, 2012

Gil-Scott Heron. I missed a few worthwhile sets, but I didn't waste my time on anyone that sucked. Aeroplane were a little inconsistent, but that was it really.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Calle, what the fuck was that shit. The lead singer telling everybody to suck his ass? Go back to south america you spic. I felt embarassed for this daddy yankee wannabe punk bitch. I've got more talent in a single eyelash than that guy & his entire ensemble.
    talk shit about performers all you want but leave the racist bullshit off the board.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Favorites: Devo, Thom Yorke, Specials, Jonsi, P.I.L., Hot Chip, Les Claypool, Edward Sharpe. John Waters starting off Saturday made it the best day for me.

Pleasant Surprises:Yann Tiersen, Vampire Weekend-I would have never thought they were such a fun and energetic band from hearing their studio stuff.

Disappointments:The Cribs, Gary Numan and Mew cancelling. My inner sadist wants to count missing Sly Stone's debacle as a disappointment, but I think I would have felt bad witnessing said disaster.
    BLACK BOX FOR COACHELLA 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbird View Post
    Biggest disappointment was Mew not showing up. Very rude.
    they had a health issue someone was in the hospital
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-19-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Please explain what Sly Stone had to do with either of those. First off, La Roux was on FRIDAY, and Yann Tiersen was on a completely different stage, but his time slot change was due to the absence of Gary Numan :-(
    la roux was one disappointment, yann tiersen's time change was another disappointment. nothing to do with each other. sly stone comment referring to yann because:
    i figured they moved yann out of his original timeslot to accomodate sly's tardiness. if i'm wrong about that being the reason, it was still disappointing. & fuck sly stone, anyway, for being such a mess.
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying

Best: Tiesto, played all my favs and calvin harris and great visuals. La roux had an awseome crowd, probably the best crowd of teh night honestly. Passion pit was soooo good live. great energy.
    thought would be better: kaskade was fun with the balloons but he didnt play any of his newer stuff that i thought he would. at least he did move for me, i remember, and angel on my shoulder.

Raveonettes - no band meant going back to where they started. Dark, heavy. Playing B Sides. No way did I expect to hear Experiment in Black or Sharin wailing for several minutes on guitar.

Fever Ray - I've been going to concerts since 1970 (not a typo) and they are unique.

Beach House - beautiful, moving, inspiring.

BEST:
    PIL and Muse. My two fave sets came from people that usually deliver the goods - go figure. Glad i only stayed for 1 1/2 Jay Z songs. PIL owned jigga. My God still cant believe PIL was that was loud. Muse do what they do, but they always leave me impressed. Loved it.

GOOD:
    Echo and Mayer Hawthorne. Really good setlists from both.

JUST OK:
    Gorillaz, Ra Ra Riot and Hockey. I enjoyed them, but wouldnt write home to mom about it.

BAD:
    Probably MGMT and MGMT's warpaint wearing morons for fans. Even though they couldn't do anything about it, no Gary Numan, no Cribs, no Delphic and no Bad L. was a unfortunate blow to the line up. Also having to explain to Vampire Weekend fans who the hell PIL and Echo are. Jesus kiddos, I know it's ancient music and all, but try harder.

HANDS DOWN THE WORST:

Coachella being oversold to the point of stupid. Really GV, 10-15,000 more people in the same space? Really?
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-19-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by lickety_spit View Post
    la roux was one disappointment, yann tiersen's time change was another disappointment. nothing to do with each other. sly stone comment referring to yann because:
    i figured they moved yann out of his original timeslot to accomodate sly's tardiness. if i'm wrong about that being the reason, it was still disappointing. & fuck sly stone, anyway, for being such a mess.
    that was moved because of no Gary Numan I think
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

I loved all of the sets I saw but Gorillaz was the most disappointing amongst them
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Quote Originally Posted by jordeaux View Post

Disappointments:The Cribs, Gary Numan and Mew cancelling. My inner sadist wants to count missing Sly Stone's debacle as a disappointment, but I think I would have felt bad witnessing said disaster.
    Right with ya. All those bands were on my list of "must sees". Bad Lt as well.

On the upside, after I found out the Cribs had canceled I went over to the main stage. And I just realized I left off my "honorable Fave"

Street Sweeper Social Club

Nobody seems to be talking about these guys. Maybe for good reason. They did not have any memorable songs. And other than bringing out the drummer for RATM their weren't any special moments to speak of. But they did have one thing going for them.

TOM.FUCKING.MORELLO

I wish I liked their music better, but honestly almost no one turned in a better performance from a technical standpoint than Tom Morello. Gebus can that guy ever play!

Quote Originally Posted by ayemelectric View Post
    Favorites: PHOENIX!, Muse, Jay-Z, Ra Ra Riot
    Disappointments: Passion Pit, Florence + the machine (I'm pretty convinced the sound system had a lot to do with it, I was really expecting a good performance)
    yeah it was the only performance i heard people yell 'turn it up'

Favorite
    Flying lotus Everything about that set was great: made new friends, the visuals, the crowd reaction, the druggie kids going on stage, Flylo pissing off the stage guy, His speach, and of course, the Mr. Oizo remixes. Had so much fun during that show.

Least Favorite
    The XX more like The ZZ's wow that show was boring.

Favorites: Devo
    I knew going into this that I would be singing every song and dancing and pogoing incessantly and this is exactly what happened. The energy by that rail was crazy. All except for that one guy who asked me(with a look of disdain on his face) if I was trying to get somewhere. I was a little shocked at first but then politely tapped him on the shoulder and told him this was not the place for him and then continued to dance harder. For anyone who has ever met me you know I am small and non threatening. Not sure what this guys problem was. His girlfriend seemed rather annoyed with him as well. Anyway, Devo put on a great show. They played almost all my favorites. I really wanted to hear Blockhead and Gut Feeling but i was satisfied with what I got to hear.

Jonsi

Oh dear god. What a performance! Absolutely flawless and beautiful.
    It appeared that everyone in that general vicinity was there to hear him.
    Before the music started, people were milling around and trying to get through to wherever they needed to be. As soon as the music started it seemed like everyone stood still and just allowed the sounds and atmosphere to envelope them. I felt like I was in a bubble and Jonsi's voice was elevating me. The strange thing is I didn't know I was feeling this until now that I replayed it in my head. The moment that keeps playing out over and over in my head is when he played "Grow Till Tall" and the way my chest started to feel heavy and it became hard to swallow because my heart was in my throat. There were a few tears involved. If you missed this performance this time please do yourself a huge favor and don't miss it again. Go see this guy.

Honorable Mention:
    Deerhunter
    I was very close up for this one and it was thoroughly enjoyable.
    Bradford came out before the set and waved and smiled at the crowd.
    Highlight of the set was hearing " Nothing Ever Happens". I seriously love
    that song to death. Didn't particularly care for his dissing of SDRE.
    Made me a bit uncomfortable.

Gossip
    An extremely strong performance. Very contagious beats.
    Beth Ditto has one of those voices that is instantly recognizable and
    a seriously commanding stage presence. Liked the band before.
    Love them now.

Can't say I was disappointed with the final act of the weekend.
    I'm not a fan so it was just filler while I waited for the rest of my
    entourage.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.