Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: So Gorillaz is .....this?

Default Re: So Gorillaz is .....this?

All of this Gorillaz hate is ridiculous. I got to enjoy the music and see the people making it, including two members of The Clash. Yes, expectations were high. But the music was still there, and if you like Gorillaz, isn't that what you listen to? If you don't like the music, then who cares.
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Time for me to weigh in.

I thought Gorillaz sounded good. Really good. They didn't sound amazing, but it was solid and I had fun dancing to their tunes live. With that being said, the ending left me feeling very confused. I thought "The Cloud of Unknowing" sounded amazing. It touched my heart to see Damon holding Bobby's hand. Bobby absolutely killed it in that song. However, Damon walking offstage without even saying "Good bye" or "Thank you Coachella" made me feel as if the set wasn't over. Then the house music started playing and everyone around me had the exact same look on their face. It left me feeling like not only the set didn't have closure... but there was no closure on Coachella.

Furthermore, I was disapointed in the visuals... however my complaints are slightly different than everyone elses. This show had a lot of potential to develop the story line of Gorillaz. For example, we have been told Noodle is dead. However, in the video for "On Meloncholy Hill" it showed that Noodle was in fact alive. In the same sng, it also started to develop the story line of the specials guests on Plastic Beach. However, nothing else really followed. Furthermore, what was that Murdoc interuption in the middle? It left me feeling like there should be have ben more interuptions by Murdoc. Again, in both these cases, it felt like their set needed closure and there was none.

So the music was great, but the performance as a whole was underwhelming.

It also really bums be out that Mos, Kano, Bashy and Shaun Ryder were all supposed to be there, as well as the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, but couldn't make it due to the damn volcano. This must have upset Damon a great amount as well.

In summary, Gorillaz were good, but the performance left me feeling lost and unfulfilled.
    This. Thank you Josh and GODDAMNIT WE STILL DIDN"T MEET!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    I'm glad that so many of you enjoyed the set...

but why was I not allowed to choose anything else to watch, once I found this performance to be dreadfully boring?

This is why I'm most irritated by the Gorillaz performance right now...any other Coachella, I would have simply walked away and watched something else...but I wasn't given that option this year
    AND THIS made me more angry about it. It just would've been nice to have seen something else (sly doesn't count).
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Sorry they didn't have Lasers.

I guess the extremely tight band wasn't enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

after all the talk about what an awesome stage set-up this would be and "virtual reality" and shit like that, i was let down. i mean, empire ants just had a fucking screen that said "empire ants", what the hell was that about? at least it gave me a reason to sit down.

i dug most of the music in the set and even enjoyed songs like stylo a lot more live than on album. the guest artist issue aside though, their stage set-up was not what i was expecting at all. i wish i would have spent more time at plastikman before wandering over. if you are going to close off all other stages to have a group close the mainstage, it better be going off with a fucking BANG.

people were leaving in DROVES the entire show from where we were at a bit further back. during feel good inc even, people didn't even stop and go "ok, well i like this song, i'll rock out for this", no, they just kept leaving the whole set. i even heard one guy walk by and say "why the FUCK are they headlining?!" even if you like the band, you have to admit this was sincerely overhyped. i still got my groove on though and enjoyed the vocalists that were able to make it. oh, and like corinna, i was impressed with the live strings.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 04-20-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    Sorry they didn't have Lasers.

I guess the extremely tight band wasn't enough.
    I'm sorry but a few people already mentioned that the band wasn't tight, they seemed a little sludgy for my taste. My 2 favorite songs from Plastic Beach sounded rather average.

Definitely over-hyped.... can't blame Gorillaz for that though. We can blame each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Glitter Freeze, which I normally skip on the album, sounded incredible. Far better live.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackQ View Post
    Glitter Freeze, which I normally skip on the album, sounded incredible. Far better live.
    Same. Hate the song on record... but it was awesome live.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    after all the talk about what an awesome stage set-up this would be and "virtual reality" and shit like that, i was let down. i mean, empire ants just had a fucking screen that said "empire ants", what the hell was that about? at least it gave me a reason to sit down.

i dug most of the music in the set and even enjoyed songs like stylo a lot more live than on album. the guest artist issue aside though, their stage set-up was not what i was expecting at all. i wish i would have spent more time at plastikman before wandering over. if you are going to close off all other stages to have a group close the mainstage, it better be going off with a fucking BANG.

people were leaving in DROVES the entire show from where we were at a bit further back. i even heard one guy walk by and say "why the FUCK are they headlining?!" even if you like the band, you have to admit this was sincerely overhyped. i still got my groove on though and enjoyed the vocalists that were able to make it.
    Thanks Ivy, my sentiments exactly, this is what Pitchfork said in 08 after Prince:

Prince said a whole bunch of shit during his headlining set on Saturday night, but fortunately none of the above was included. Granted, that's what one should expect when the guy on stage is getting forked over a rumored $4.8 million. But compared to artists like, say, Death Cab and Jack Johnson, this is an upgrade from David Eckstein to Alex Rodriguez; your headliners can't fall back on shit like grittiness or hustle-- they should be able to knock it out of the park.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    I'm sorry but a few people already mentioned that the band wasn't tight, they seemed a little sludgy for my taste. My 2 favorite songs from Plastic Beach sounded rather average.
    That's not true at all. There were absolutely no audible mistakes, and certainly no train wrecks (musically at least). I thought they were very tight considering they had to sync up with was going on the screen. That's can't be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    That's not true at all. There were absolutely no audible mistakes, and certainly no train wrecks (musically at least). I thought they were very tight considering they had to sync up with was going on the screen. That's can't be easy.
    Exactly. Weren't you in the very back Marco?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Definitely over-hyped.... can't blame Gorillaz for that though. We can blame each other.
    Yes, I will take the blame for this too. But GV is also at fault for shutting down all the stages for them and thus creating the same kind of expectations.

Didn't people predict this and ask for a conflict with something amazing like Plastikman? Yup.

Didn't all the board regulars tell me to STFU? Yep.

Are the fanbois ever going to stop buying the mass produced commercial hype train? Nope.

Choose what you eat, don't be fed. Last weekend was a fucking Smörgåsbord and the Gorillaz were the lardy scraps that you take home for the dogs.

I couldn't go any further then the fucking crane but it sounded like meh from back there.

Exactly. Weren't you in the very back Marco?
    Yep which again had more to do with nothing else being available to watch and thus being pushed to the back. Crowd control, they SHOULD'VE had more going.

It was a nice performance. Nothing fantastic. Not what I thought was going to blow my mind. Orbital was better, yeah I said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

Yes, I will take the blame for this too. But GV is also at fault for shutting down all the stages for them and thus creating the same kind of expectations.
    I agree.

I couldn't go any further then the fucking crane but it sounded like meh from back there.
    That's probably why it sounded "meh." I was on the 2nd rail and I thought the sound quality was excellent.

well....we can blame Murdoc a LITTLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    It was a nice performance. Nothing fantastic. Not what I thought was going to blow my mind. Orbital was better, yeah I said it.
    They were both ridiculously over-hyped.

Paul T definitely deserves some flack. He started all of hype for stage production.

Also, I watched half of Orbital and it was kinda boring.

I enjoyed the strings as well, they didn't have to do that.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Paul T definitely deserves some flack. He started all of hype for stage production.
    Yep. I wonder if Roskilde will close all THEIR stages for Gorillaz?

All these threads too, I have never seen a more divided performance view point ever. Seriously, no headliner has ever caused this much drama on the board (except maybe Jack Johnson but that was more to do whether he SHOULD headline not his actual performance).

Also, I watched half of Orbital and it was kinda boring.
    Still-Ill said it best:
    This unbelievable obsession with visual stimulation is annoying and disturbing.
    Sucks the music is taking a backseat to visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    we still didn't meet either feather

REALLY boring. plastikman blew oribtal out of the water.

I can't find any good videos of "Empire Ants", so I'm going to upload what I got when I get home to prove to you that it sounded good, Marco.

when you can't see the unopposed band from all the way back by the crane and all you have is a screen with the song title to look at, you can understand the disappointment with the visuals. empire ants was just the song title on the screen for the ENTIRE song. jellyfish was just a fucking white screen with a jellyfish on it. kids with guns was just a bunch of guns flashing on the screen. how do you go from holograms to that?

at least at other stages, you get to see the bands rock out. from the back you only got a few clips on the side screens of the band and they were generally close-ups of things like the strings. i love a good live band that doesn't need visuals and rocked the fuck out to many of them throughout the weekend. but i would have preferred to see gorillaz in a sit-down venue where i could actually see both the stage and the screen.

I can't find any good videos of "Empire Ants", so I'm going to upload what I got when I get home to prove to you that it sounded good, Marco.
    I've already posted this video, but whatever:

Sounds pretty good to me.

we still didn't meet either feather
    I know
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.