Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sly Stone was a no show at Gobi

Default Re: Sly Stone was a no show at Gobi

I don't think it was all that shocking considering that all his comeback shows over the past few years have been similarly chaotic, by all accounts. It was definitely kind of sad to see a diminished legend; it reminded me a bit of footage of the late Elvis performances, although even he was a lot more coherent. I'd say it was one of the most memorable sets I've ever seen at Coachella, and those songs are such classics that I still enjoyed them even in that bizarre form. I don't think anyone should be angry at Goldenvoice and certainly not at Sly

So glad I happened to check the Mojave on the way to see Gorillaz. I saw his keyboard and Office Depot chair being set up and ran to the front rail. What I witnessed was the greatest of the strange and also one of my favorite shows ever. When he first came on with his freak flag wig and glasses I thought George Clinton was joining in. But then somehow at the end of the horror trainwreck it all came together for three songs and I caught a solid glimpse of some of the best music ever recorded. As George would say, "I got funkdafied" and I loved it.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak;
    I'm just waiting for Sly to cut the song off and go ballistic, taking his lil' office chair w/him off the stage.
    I actually have that exact same STAPLES office chair! $99 on sale. Sly can sure get a deal!! Was highly entertaining and such a trainwreck to watch. The backup singer was definitely trying to save the show. Gotta give it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The performer should live up to contractual obligations. A four hour delay should have kept him from appearing on stage.
    I remember Pharcyde showed up late in 2002 and were made to stick to their scheduled end time. Played one song (you can probably guess the one).
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    If you know the words sing along. Ha. He doesn't know the words. He makes Ozzie Osborne seem like a great orator.
    This comment made me lol. Fucking Sly.

The band had the chance to play at the same time as Gorillaz and still "blew it". sigh

But I mean, I'm sure they're getting way more publicity for this than if they had just played a good show. Not that Sly needs any more than he already has, however.

I wasn't there, but watching it go down on Youtube today was really sad. Talking about his lawsuits and shit....

I didn't even hear anything about the rescheduling... I just happened to (rightfully) assume that the bathrooms next to the Gobi would be infinitely more accessible during Gorillaz than the ones near the entrance... and on my way out I heard "Dance to the Music" and put two and two together... and that is how I ended up watching the end of Sly Stone's set instead of the end of Gorillaz... think I missed all the "trainwreck" stuff though
    2002-2006, finally back for 2010!

after the night was over, we went to my car which just happened to be parked ~50 feet from the mohave (disabled lot). there was a guy there next to a "pool van" who said that he had been there every single coachella. "me too!" i replied. so we got talking and i asked what he thought of gorillaz. he said, "i wasn't there. i was at sly stone."

me "he actually came out?!?! what was that like?"
    guy "sad. he was wearing this police outfit. he stumbled. he left. he was on a wheelchair - it was bizarre. i felt sorry for the guy"
    me "aww, that sucks. i wish i could've seen that, but i'm glad i was at gorillaz"
    guy "the poor guy, he seemed so out of it. why would he even perform?"
    me "i dunno know."

the end.

i edited it with some color so it's easier to follow. can't wait for the videos of this. how unfortunate.
    Last edited by cuauhtemoc723; 04-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Jagwar Ma ● the Knife ● GOAT ● the Preatures ● Bo Ningen ● Woodkid ● QOTSA ● Foxygen ● Little Dragon
    DARKSIDE ● Lorde ● Temples ● Factory Floor ● Banks ● Duck Sauce ● Grouplove ● Pet Shop Boys
    ● OutKast ● Muse ● Mogwai ● Austra ● CHVRCHES ● Syd Arthur ● J. Roddy Watson & the Business

wishlist, still: wishlist, still: missy elliot●oingo boingo●talking heads●grace jones●george clinton●fiona apple
    sweat.x●jamiroquai●space●hooverphonic●los fabulosos cadillacs●la santa cecilia

Coachella Junkie

That's a fascinating story.

Seeing Sly Stone crawl off the stage and walk away during take you higher beats seeing a 1000 foot Bruce Willis video anyday.. It was a rockstar moment..not the finest one but still..

Sly did a little too much of this in his younger days

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Dude, he is in a wheelchair and has had health problems. I feel bad for the guy.
    He was in a Staples office chair and his health problems have been likely brought on by years of heavy crack addiction and going off REALLY HARD.

Here are the videos I took:

I won't bother explaining everything since its already been discussed here. But everything you guys have been saying is true. It was a disaster of a performance. Easily the worst thing we saw all weekend. The videos speak for themselves.

my videos are not nearly as trainwrecky..just good jams

I am definitely mellowing out now on the whole "Searching For Sly Stone" aspect of Sunday,as I now realize I got to see parts of a lot of really great sets,including Thom,Orbital,Plastikman,Little Boots,and Gorillaz.I still resent that the motherfucker made me watch Charlotte Gainsbourg for three songs to get a good spot...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

I still can't get this set straight in my head.

Part of me was insulted as a festivalgoer, part of me was almost in tears for him, and part of me was laughing and rolling my eyes at the whole thing. I dunno: do the words beautifully awful fill the void?

Still working it out.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I was incredulous watching it via the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

i actually hate myself for missing this.
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying

Tongaboy has apparently been in close correspondence with Baby Stone (Sly's daughter,3rd from the right in Voodoo Hipster post).

I just hope to god they don't let grandpa ever watch their kids...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Lincoln View Post
    I saw more coherent performances in the campgrounds.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Don't have to since the San Diego board is gone, meaning I won. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteimp View Post
    Clusterfuckchella is right on the money. I'll stick to EDC thanks. :/

Well, at least Rosanna Arquette was dancing.

Lurker

looks like a cracked out uncle sam

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Still more fun than the Gorillaz. And with much better special effects too.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Ahh I just read through this whole thread again. Makes me actually sad that I missed Sly Stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Erik or Dani: Can we change Spooks' member title to "Stupid Pigfucker"? thanks.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Ahh I just read through this whole thread again. Makes me actually sad that I missed Sly Stone.
    I've mentioned this before on the forum somewhere, but AFAIK he has yet to make a public appearance since Coachella nearly a year ago. Promoters may be scared off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Still more fun than the Gorillaz. And with much better special effects too.
    Amen, if I knew Sly was playing I would have gotten over there.

Bored at work this afternoon and decided to finally watch the videos of this one. I can't believe the office chair. The coup de grace of the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Wow. I never read through this whole thing (or watched any of the videos). Trainwreck is an understatement.