Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

  1. #1
    Member boyalien0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,917

    Default The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Used to be my favorite venue at Coachella, and it is now utterly fucking worthless. Mini Main Stage. Main Stage #2. What the fuck are you guys thinking? What kind of plan was this? Why are MGMT, Vamp Weekend, Hot Chip, Thom Yorke, etc. on the goddamned Outdoor Theatre stage? You have ruined one of the best parts of your festival for no good reason, sirs. BRING BACK THE OLD OUTDOOR THEATRE.

  2. #2
    Member oftheheartofthesoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    735

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Old outdoor theater? I need for you to elaborate, please. What is the difference? Does it look like the main stage now? Is it farther from everything else this time? Is it harder to see the bands?

  3. #3
    Member elChurro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Empire Polo Grounds, Indio Ca.
    Posts
    1,185

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    might be talking about the dolab thing

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Outdoor is the same as it was in previous years. However, there is now a second row of speakers in the field (pretty sure there was just one last year). The crowd was GINORMOUS and was pushed back nearly to the DO Lab. Yes, there was sound bleed. Watched MGMT from back there. Sounded great but couldn't see a thing. They need to move the mainstage video screens over there and get bigger ones for the mainstage. You really need to get within the first row of speakers to experience anything at the outdoor stage.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    I arrived an hour early for Dead Weather and was only able to get a spot in the center in front of the mixing board, about 50 yards from the stage. The outdoor is same except for two video screens, the mixing board, and lack of the bleacher style seats. If you are going to watch it on the video, you may as well stay home and watch the webcast. Has it gotten to the point where we don't even expect to actually 'see' the band onstage? There are just too many f'n people for the size of the festival venue.

  6. #6
    Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    24,306

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Thom Yorke tonight is going to be a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

  7. #7
    Member Bonovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Here Now
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    The Outdoor Theater used to be my favorite stage. <3 However, this year's festival space planners must be that same people who planned the parking logistics.

    While watching MGMT (behind the new second back of speakers) I bent over to fix my sandal. Suddenly 3 people pounced forward thinking "an opening!," pushed me over, and broke by sandal. As I was collecting myself to stand back up, I found another person reaching in my bag for my wallet. Lovely.

    At that point I left the hoard and hung way back by the Do Lab. The sound was really good, so I sat down to chill for a moment, when, at the beginning of ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.

  8. #8
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    The bleachers are gone, too. The outdoor stage is the spot where Phish played this year. If done correctly, that could be the Main Stage (aka Coachella Stage) area. 40,000 people to see one band over 3 days, playing 98 songs. That was good times!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  9. #9
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonovan View Post
    ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.
    Ha. That needs a picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  10. #10
    Lurker runaway_dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, Ca
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonovan View Post
    The Outdoor Theater used to be my favorite stage. <3 However, this year's festival space planners must be that same people who planned the parking logistics.

    While watching MGMT (behind the new second back of speakers) I bent over to fix my sandal. Suddenly 3 people pounced forward thinking "an opening!," pushed me over, and broke by sandal. As I was collecting myself to stand back up, I found another person reaching in my bag for my wallet. Lovely.

    At that point I left the hoard and hung way back by the Do Lab. The sound was really good, so I sat down to chill for a moment, when, at the beginning of ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.
    I agree. This year people were unbelievably rude when trying to get as close as they could to the stage. And the things found on the ground were disgusting.. plenty of broken glass near the main stage.
    womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Yeah the trash is what I can't stand. It feels more like a dirty rave than a polo field now. We won't be able to enjoy a sunset act in peace if they let this many people in again.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

  12. #12
    Lurker runaway_dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, Ca
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    Yeah the trash is what I can't stand. It feels more like a dirty rave than a polo field now. We won't be able to enjoy a sunset act in peace if they let this many people in again.
    I thought I was the only one who felt that way about it being more like a dirty rave. This isn't electric daisy or lightning in a bottle. really disappointing.
    womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp

  13. #13
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,036

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    You mention no bleachers. Did they still have bleachers for ADA ??
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  14. #14
    Member Brad Groux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    The outdoor theater is completely insane this year... if I didn't have a camera with a 20x zoom I wouldn't see the acts at all.
    Nothing can stop me now...

  15. #15
    Lurker runaway_dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, Ca
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    You mention no bleachers. Did they still have bleachers for ADA ??
    yeah they did. but with the crowds this year, it's a wonder how anyone got to them.
    womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp

  16. #16
    Member zipperhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I arrived an hour early for Dead Weather and was only able to get a spot in the center in front of the mixing board, about 50 yards from the stage. The outdoor is same except for two video screens, the mixing board, and lack of the bleacher style seats. If you are going to watch it on the video, you may as well stay home and watch the webcast. Has it gotten to the point where we don't even expect to actually 'see' the band onstage? There are just too many f'n people for the size of the festival venue.
    I didn't find it that bad for the Dead Weather. We came after MUSE and were able to get about 15-20 yards in front of the sounstage without being dickish. It seemed that alot of people were streaming out during the show. We just slowly worked forward. I was surprised.

  17. #17
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,130

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The bleachers are gone, too. The outdoor stage is the spot where Phish played this year. If done correctly, that could be the Main Stage (aka Coachella Stage) area. 40,000 people to see one band over 3 days, playing 98 songs. That was good times!
    that's where the mane stage will be for stagecoach this year, too.

  18. #18
    Member hendrixfan143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,696

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Coachella was full of rude DB's all weekend, i have never experienced this shit, usually coachella is full of the worlds most perfect people

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    the problem wasn't with the outdoor theatre. It was with the crowds and who they put on the outdoor theatre (MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and Thom Yorke). The outdoor theatre itself was markedly improved. No sound bleed and amazing sound.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    the problem wasn't with the outdoor theatre. It was with the crowds and who they put on the outdoor theatre (MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and Thom Yorke). The outdoor theatre itself was markedly improved. No sound bleed and amazing sound.
    Yup. And especially after seeing the utterly basic Gorillaz set up, I simply can't understand why Thom was on the Outdoor. It doesn't make any sense at all.

    I'm working on an assumption that they couldn't get shit here from London due to the ash. Otherwise, yeah. You got me. Major fuck up, GV.

  21. #21
    Member runbowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    Yeah the trash is what I can't stand. It feels more like a dirty rave than a polo field now. We won't be able to enjoy a sunset act in peace if they let this many people in again.
    truth.

  22. #22
    Member shermanoaksyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    dtla
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    New Outdoor was great. No Do Lab or Main Stage bleed.

    Edward Sharpe, the xx, Phoenix, PiL, Deerhunter, w/ Thom headlining it all - amazing. MGMT sucking the big one only added to the perfection.

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Putting big acts on the Outdoor killed that stage this year, the crowds were fucking insane! Thom should've been on Main for starters...
    Coachella 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wknd 1), 13 (wknd 1), 14 (wknd 1)

  24. #24
    Member Brad Groux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    I was at outdoor for four acts on Sunday, and it was progressively more crazy each act. The front pit area was packed like sardines after Jonsi, and it escalated further after Phoenix where it was almost unbearable... but after Atoms for Peace hit the stage it was all worth it.

    With that said, I had to miss other acts I wanted to see just so I'd have a good spot for those on the outdoor stage. Kind of ridiculous.
    Nothing can stop me now...

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    413

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    I was astonished that the crowd at the Outdoor Theater enveloped the food court and went beyond. Never saw so many people there-Only Air has had a crowd reach to the fence at the food court (that I have seen in all of the years).I usually see most acts at the Outdoor stage-but no more sitting on the grass just relaxing! That used to be great for afternoons.So many people now that it is a second main stage.Seems like some acts should have switched.After Phoenix I went to Pavement and the crowd was way smaller.And many of them left to see Thom Yorke-mass exodus from the VIP and Beer garden over to the Outdoor.

  26. #26
    Member bebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    510
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Instead of wondering what the sunset band will be, we will be wondering what the "overcrowded outdoor act that should have been on the main stage" will be.
    4/19-4/21 Coachella
    5/25 Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Teebs @ The Fox Theatre
    5/29 Tame Impala @ The Fox Theatre
    ??? Bjork @ The Craneway Pavilion

  27. #27
    Member runbowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    ... man it just ain't the same this year.

  28. #28
    Member ErikFlyingV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bay
    Posts
    750

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    I was originally going to watch half Thom, then make way for Gorillaz and get a decent enough spot. I didn't have to be upfront for either.

    So I walk past Pavement, with all of the 30 fans watching, and I see the biggest fucking crowd for Thom. I'll never be the douche who pushes, so I just walk with the flow and try to get up closer. Basically, I never got past the beer gardens.

    So I'm watching the first song on the screen, which I hate, while little ravers are talking about Radiohead Radiohead! and people rushing by real fast. In other worse, no chance of enjoying it.

    So I go and wait for Gorillaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

  29. #29

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    Coachella was full of rude DB's all weekend, i have never experienced this shit, usually coachella is full of the worlds most perfect people
    I thought maybe I was just getting too old for this but I am assured now that it wasn't me! It was all the horrible decisions and frat/MTV spring break entitled slobs that made me feel this way!

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

    yeah it's not us. We're not getting too old to enjoy coachella. We love coachella more than any of those shirtless douches, and we don't want to see the festival ruined. that's why we are complaining so much. =)

    the sound was great at the outdoor, but goldenvoice really fucked up that stage this year. such a shame.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

Similar Threads

  1. Please move Grizzly Bear to the Outdoor Theatre
    By Hicks in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM
  2. The 2010 Outdoor Theatre
    By luckyface in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM
  3. Who should do The Outdoor Theatre at sunset in 2010
    By SDsoldier7 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
  4. Vas Defrans - Sunday 12:45 - Outdoor Theatre
    By sh*tonwheels in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
  5. anyone else think Juipters Rings playing outdoor theatre
    By ThunderInTheSky in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •