Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

Default The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

Used to be my favorite venue at Coachella, and it is now utterly fucking worthless. Mini Main Stage. Main Stage #2. What the fuck are you guys thinking? What kind of plan was this? Why are MGMT, Vamp Weekend, Hot Chip, Thom Yorke, etc. on the goddamned Outdoor Theatre stage? You have ruined one of the best parts of your festival for no good reason, sirs. BRING BACK THE OLD OUTDOOR THEATRE.

Default Re: The Death of The Outdoor Theatre.

Old outdoor theater? I need for you to elaborate, please. What is the difference? Does it look like the main stage now? Is it farther from everything else this time? Is it harder to see the bands?

might be talking about the dolab thing

Outdoor is the same as it was in previous years. However, there is now a second row of speakers in the field (pretty sure there was just one last year). The crowd was GINORMOUS and was pushed back nearly to the DO Lab. Yes, there was sound bleed. Watched MGMT from back there. Sounded great but couldn't see a thing. They need to move the mainstage video screens over there and get bigger ones for the mainstage. You really need to get within the first row of speakers to experience anything at the outdoor stage.

I arrived an hour early for Dead Weather and was only able to get a spot in the center in front of the mixing board, about 50 yards from the stage. The outdoor is same except for two video screens, the mixing board, and lack of the bleacher style seats. If you are going to watch it on the video, you may as well stay home and watch the webcast. Has it gotten to the point where we don't even expect to actually 'see' the band onstage? There are just too many f'n people for the size of the festival venue.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Thom Yorke tonight is going to be a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

The Outdoor Theater used to be my favorite stage. <3 However, this year's festival space planners must be that same people who planned the parking logistics.

While watching MGMT (behind the new second back of speakers) I bent over to fix my sandal. Suddenly 3 people pounced forward thinking "an opening!," pushed me over, and broke by sandal. As I was collecting myself to stand back up, I found another person reaching in my bag for my wallet. Lovely.

At that point I left the hoard and hung way back by the Do Lab. The sound was really good, so I sat down to chill for a moment, when, at the beginning of ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.

The bleachers are gone, too. The outdoor stage is the spot where Phish played this year. If done correctly, that could be the Main Stage (aka Coachella Stage) area. 40,000 people to see one band over 3 days, playing 98 songs. That was good times!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonovan View Post
    ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.
    Ha. That needs a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonovan View Post
    The Outdoor Theater used to be my favorite stage. <3 However, this year's festival space planners must be that same people who planned the parking logistics.

While watching MGMT (behind the new second back of speakers) I bent over to fix my sandal. Suddenly 3 people pounced forward thinking "an opening!," pushed me over, and broke by sandal. As I was collecting myself to stand back up, I found another person reaching in my bag for my wallet. Lovely.

At that point I left the hoard and hung way back by the Do Lab. The sound was really good, so I sat down to chill for a moment, when, at the beginning of ELECTRIC FEEL, I found my hand in someone else's vomit. That song will never be the same for me again.
    I agree. This year people were unbelievably rude when trying to get as close as they could to the stage. And the things found on the ground were disgusting.. plenty of broken glass near the main stage.
    womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp

Yeah the trash is what I can't stand. It feels more like a dirty rave than a polo field now. We won't be able to enjoy a sunset act in peace if they let this many people in again.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    Yeah the trash is what I can't stand. It feels more like a dirty rave than a polo field now. We won't be able to enjoy a sunset act in peace if they let this many people in again.
    I thought I was the only one who felt that way about it being more like a dirty rave. This isn't electric daisy or lightning in a bottle. really disappointing.

You mention no bleachers. Did they still have bleachers for ADA ??
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

The outdoor theater is completely insane this year... if I didn't have a camera with a 20x zoom I wouldn't see the acts at all.
    Nothing can stop me now...

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    You mention no bleachers. Did they still have bleachers for ADA ??
    yeah they did. but with the crowds this year, it's a wonder how anyone got to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I arrived an hour early for Dead Weather and was only able to get a spot in the center in front of the mixing board, about 50 yards from the stage. The outdoor is same except for two video screens, the mixing board, and lack of the bleacher style seats. If you are going to watch it on the video, you may as well stay home and watch the webcast. Has it gotten to the point where we don't even expect to actually 'see' the band onstage? There are just too many f'n people for the size of the festival venue.
    I didn't find it that bad for the Dead Weather. We came after MUSE and were able to get about 15-20 yards in front of the sounstage without being dickish. It seemed that alot of people were streaming out during the show. We just slowly worked forward. I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The bleachers are gone, too. The outdoor stage is the spot where Phish played this year. If done correctly, that could be the Main Stage (aka Coachella Stage) area. 40,000 people to see one band over 3 days, playing 98 songs. That was good times!
    that's where the mane stage will be for stagecoach this year, too.

Coachella was full of rude DB's all weekend, i have never experienced this shit, usually coachella is full of the worlds most perfect people

the problem wasn't with the outdoor theatre. It was with the crowds and who they put on the outdoor theatre (MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and Thom Yorke). The outdoor theatre itself was markedly improved. No sound bleed and amazing sound.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    the problem wasn't with the outdoor theatre. It was with the crowds and who they put on the outdoor theatre (MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and Thom Yorke). The outdoor theatre itself was markedly improved. No sound bleed and amazing sound.
    Yup. And especially after seeing the utterly basic Gorillaz set up, I simply can't understand why Thom was on the Outdoor. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm working on an assumption that they couldn't get shit here from London due to the ash. Otherwise, yeah. You got me. Major fuck up, GV.

Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    truth.

New Outdoor was great. No Do Lab or Main Stage bleed.

Edward Sharpe, the xx, Phoenix, PiL, Deerhunter, w/ Thom headlining it all - amazing. MGMT sucking the big one only added to the perfection.

Putting big acts on the Outdoor killed that stage this year, the crowds were fucking insane! Thom should've been on Main for starters...
    Coachella 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wknd 1), 13 (wknd 1), 14 (wknd 1)

I was at outdoor for four acts on Sunday, and it was progressively more crazy each act. The front pit area was packed like sardines after Jonsi, and it escalated further after Phoenix where it was almost unbearable... but after Atoms for Peace hit the stage it was all worth it.

With that said, I had to miss other acts I wanted to see just so I'd have a good spot for those on the outdoor stage. Kind of ridiculous.
    Nothing can stop me now...

I was astonished that the crowd at the Outdoor Theater enveloped the food court and went beyond. Never saw so many people there-Only Air has had a crowd reach to the fence at the food court (that I have seen in all of the years).I usually see most acts at the Outdoor stage-but no more sitting on the grass just relaxing! That used to be great for afternoons.So many people now that it is a second main stage.Seems like some acts should have switched.After Phoenix I went to Pavement and the crowd was way smaller.And many of them left to see Thom Yorke-mass exodus from the VIP and Beer garden over to the Outdoor.

Instead of wondering what the sunset band will be, we will be wondering what the "overcrowded outdoor act that should have been on the main stage" will be.
    4/19-4/21 Coachella
    5/25 Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Teebs @ The Fox Theatre
    5/29 Tame Impala @ The Fox Theatre
    ??? Bjork @ The Craneway Pavilion

... man it just ain't the same this year.

I was originally going to watch half Thom, then make way for Gorillaz and get a decent enough spot. I didn't have to be upfront for either.

So I walk past Pavement, with all of the 30 fans watching, and I see the biggest fucking crowd for Thom. I'll never be the douche who pushes, so I just walk with the flow and try to get up closer. Basically, I never got past the beer gardens.

So I'm watching the first song on the screen, which I hate, while little ravers are talking about Radiohead Radiohead! and people rushing by real fast. In other worse, no chance of enjoying it.

So I go and wait for Gorillaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    Coachella was full of rude DB's all weekend, i have never experienced this shit, usually coachella is full of the worlds most perfect people
    I thought maybe I was just getting too old for this but I am assured now that it wasn't me! It was all the horrible decisions and frat/MTV spring break entitled slobs that made me feel this way!

yeah it's not us. We're not getting too old to enjoy coachella. We love coachella more than any of those shirtless douches, and we don't want to see the festival ruined. that's why we are complaining so much. =)

the sound was great at the outdoor, but goldenvoice really fucked up that stage this year. such a shame.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...