Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MGMT

Default MGMT

so what was their set like? I heard a rumor, that as would be expected the crowd at the start was insane, it was packed. but that they refused to play their hits, the singles, so people started leaving the place in droves.

any truth to this?

Default Re: MGMT

They played all of the singles off of Oracular Spectacular except for Kids. Honestly they were much better than I expected. I'd never seen MGMT live but had heard quite a bit on here about how they're a shitty band live. I thought they were pretty good and I enjoyed their set. The crowd did start to thin out towards the end but I think that's because a lot of people were walking over to the main stage for Muse.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

I enjoyed their set, and for the vast majority of the set people were going pretty nuts. There was a mass exodus with about 10 minutes left in the set, but they all seemed to be heading to Muse and MGMT had already played "the hits" so casual fans had their fill.
    Nothing can stop me now...

mgmt is a bunch of fags...seriously....how the fuck do they NOT do an encore? I hope they lost a bunch of fans for being douchebags....also the singer really shouldn't speak publicly, he sounds like a moron when he opens his mouth....what was it he said? something about glad to see the fans, and the people and he wished everyone could sign his pants....wtf?? but what they did do sounded great.

Considering how massive the crowd for MGMT was at the start, the crowd for Thom Yorke is going to be even more insane.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Saw them from faraway. I was at FNM and it was insane already. I stayed for about 20 mins. of their set. I liked what I heard. But it was like watching TV from far away.
    Always wear a helmut

Quote Originally Posted by alterboy View Post
    mgmt is a bunch of fags...seriously....how the fuck do they NOT do an encore? I hope they lost a bunch of fans for being douchebags....also the singer really shouldn't speak publicly, he sounds like a moron when he opens his mouth....what was it he said? something about glad to see the fans, and the people and he wished everyone could sign his pants....wtf?? but what they did do sounded great.
    You dumbshit, there are time constraints on most bands. You can't just play however long you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosteez View Post
    You dumbshit, there are time constraints on most bands. You can't just play however long you want.
    No...you are a dumbshit....there was no band scheduled immediately afterwards...it was weak....just admit it.....

I don't get the fascination with MGMT, fucking dumbshit morans pushing and shoving after Hot Chip (who killed it) like it was a Rage concert. They have like 1 or 2 good songs, the new shit sucks, zzzzzzzz

Planned encores are retarded anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by nechadi View Post
    I don't get the fascination with MGMT, fucking dumbshit morans pushing and shoving after Hot Chip (who killed it) like it was a Rage concert. They have like 1 or 2 good songs, the new shit sucks, zzzzzzzz
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

I'm not a huge mgmt fan but their crowd was gigantic. I think Phoenix might have even had a bigger crowd. I had a harder time getting to Pavement from the outdoor during Phoenix than to Muse during Mgmt.

The most overrated band on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    The most overrated band on the planet.
    for real

I would rather listen to other sucky bands like Muse or Gorillaz before MGMT.

These guys were one of my "must-sees" and I don't think I will ever waste my time again with one of their shows.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

MGMT killed it and their new record is great. The closest thing this festival will see to Bowie.

they far exceeded my expectations (which were pretty damn low) and Time to Pretend was a highlight of the weekend
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonparty View Post
    MGMT killed it and their new record is great. The closest thing this festival will see to Bowie.
    This is either a poor attempt at being sarcastic or one of the most moronic things I've ever heard.

They may be over rated, but I will say that the set was much better than they used to be. There drummer is actually pretty good and they are learning to play their own songs off OS. Their new songs are, well, weak, but only periodically truly terrible. If they are opening for a band you like, go ahead and catch their set.

For what it is worth, my niece was looking forward to their set the most. She enjoyed it and we stayed for the whole thing, but it wasn't her favorite.

Jonsi should sing for passion pit, Passion Pit should be the band for the Oracular Spectacular singles and MGMT should start milking Oracular Spectacular for car commercials... or go back to that producer in upstate new york and figure out how to write synthy bubblegum with hipstery faux cynical lyrics again.

You might have a brain tumor.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

If I was lying down I would have passed out from boredom. They had no energy. I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to catch a little of their set.

Quote Originally Posted by fnmore View Post
    I would rather listen to other sucky bands like Muse or Gorillaz before MGMT.

(also, sigged)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    well....we can blame Murdoc a LITTLE

I see you trollin.
    05-12.2

It seemed like they weren't singing into the microphone, the songs were really faint and the music was off or slow or something, i left halfway through the first song and heard a couple of their bigger songs from far away taking care of this girl throwing up and stood up and tried to dance and again....sat down and ignored them. Really disappointed, was really suprised to hear people say they were their favorite act from the day when i asked people walking around that night/the next morning.

...i still say meh to the old songs live, but the new ones were fantastic - i think they're moving down the right course.

Uggghhh, this thread has become Troll Headquarters.

I wish I could remember their set list, but this thread already went down a gutter, but this is what songs they played that I can remember:

opened with "Flash Delirium"
    then played a song I didn't recognize, probably from 2nd half of 1st album
    then throughout the middle they alternated between new album and 1st album

from Oracular they played:
    "Time To Pretend"
    "Weekend Wars"
    "The Youth"
    "Electric Feel"

from Congratulations they played:
    "It's Working"
    "A Song For Dan Treacy"
    "I Found A Whistle"

They closed with "Brian Eno"

Andrew was very grateful and thanked the crowd, made sure to ask who all was on drugs before playing "Time To Pretend" -- new stuff sounded great but everybody wasn't familiar with it, I was standing far back and there was a huge crowd that would go crazy for the Oracular hits.

And as for no encore, in my experiences @ Coachella only headliners get an encore. Fever Ray, Flying Lotus, and MGMT all closed out their respective tents & stages and none of them did encores.

Somebody shoot this thread in the head now.

I was trolling, but in all seriousness MGMT is far better than most people in this thread give them credit for. Their set was really good and "It's Working" is the best glam rock track i've heard in years.

ive been listening to MGMT for a couple years now and I really only cared to hear "Kids" and "Congratulations". they played neither.

I swear i heard them tell everyone to go out and buy their new cd at the end of their set.

Quote Originally Posted by LyricsForTheMind View Post
    I swear i heard them tell everyone to go out and buy their new cd at the end of their set.
    So what? Self promoting cocky rock stars is what we need more of.