Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella has Jumped the Shark in 2010

Default Coachella has Jumped the Shark in 2010

right?

Default Re: Coachella has Jumped the Shark in 2010

I agree... I was gonna post the same thing.

And the shark won.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Less art, more vendors.

It's sad. It's like I'm watching my favorite event in the world fall to pieces right in front of me.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

The only way I'll be back next year is if GV comes out with a huge apology, openly stating the things they screwed up and how they plan on fixing it next year and/or a lineup that would be simply too good to pass up, either way I'm not holding my breath. It sucks, I love the venue, I love staying in Palm Springs, and I love the music... but what I don't love is all the other crap.

Any feedback on which festival to jump ship to would be appreciated.
    Nothing can stop me now...

pretty much. Its indicative that this poster would have been flamed to high hell any previous year.

Agreed. The music is still great but Coachella feels different this year. Some of the magic has been lost. I would like to see a formal apology as well.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

You're all just a bunch of fags. Do you really think GV is going to give a formal apology? You say you wouldn't go next year, but you know that you'll get a hard on the second the dates for next years show are posted. Just shut up and enjoy yourselfd, queers!
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2009, and coming soon: 2010

I would have flamed someone for saying before this year as well. Its just so obvious that they put profit ahead of the enjoyment of the show.

I remember an article years ago that Paul T said that he puts the experience of the attendees ahead of the profit. this is clearly no longer true. Does anybody know a link to that article?

This probably has something to do with AEG's acquisition of Goldenvoice. does anybody know when that happened.

Ive been to every single Coachella, 99'-10'. This may be my last.

Bold claims backed by very little substance, it seems to me. Of course this is just one of the lucky ones talking - I am not currently being subjected to the insipid, seemingly vile attractions that are currently waging against the above posters' better sensibilities at this year's Coachella. Carry on, you brave souls. Try to see the light at the end of the tunnel, ya know? Only one more day left. I'll be here sitting on my ass at home in Michigan, praising over and over again for the fact that I am not suffering as you all are, and praying for your quick recoveries once you're safe at home.

But seriously, what's making this festival so bad in your eyes? Obviously parking is going to be more of a bitch, but that's a given and something you just have to deal with when the festival sells out (or, better yet, camp and not have to deal with it daily). The only thing I see as a legitimate statement against GV's negligence is the too much merch, too little art statement. But I'd like to see that fleshed out more in order to better understand how it changes the atmosphere of the fest.

I mean, come on! The lineup is fucking phenomenal and the weather is perfect. Suck it up. Or is all this non-constructive complaining about the lack of tesla coils this year? Yeah.. that would make sense, then. Mope on, little brothers and sisters.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    What a weird knee that woman has but I do like the crocs ...

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

50k on the polo fields is ok
    60k becomes really crowded/too crowded
    75k = clusterfuckcity
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    right?
    No and yes, no in that they still delivered an amazing set of artist. They can't be blamed is so many deliver so so sets ( yes thom yorke I'm talking to you). But coachella can be blamed for jettisoning everything else that makes the fest so great. The art, the manageable crowds, single day tickets.

So they haven't quite jumped the shark but they have done enough to make me not want to go next year

I'm not alone. Something was off this year, despite the good music. I should have known when I saw the new Outdoor Theatre layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

All of the problems this entire weekend are almost all caused by having way too many people there. I saw some great performances this weekend, better as a whole than any Coachella I've been to. But it's really difficult to fully enjoy the music when there are people on top of you in every direction. It just never ended.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    All of the problems this entire weekend are almost all caused by having way too many people there. I saw some great performances this weekend, better as a whole than any Coachella I've been to. But it's really difficult to fully enjoy the music when there are people on top of you in every direction. It just never ended.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

sux. ...oh well. there's always sasquatch.
    ***oh__wa**ke**meplease**whenthis__is***ovr

Quote Originally Posted by jdaws View Post
    Bold claims backed by very little substance, it seems to me. Of course this is just one of the lucky ones talking - I am not currently being subjected to the insipid, seemingly vile attractions that are currently waging against the above posters' better sensibilities at this year's Coachella. Carry on, you brave souls. Try to see the light at the end of the tunnel, ya know? Only one more day left. I'll be here sitting on my ass at home in Michigan, praising over and over again for the fact that I am not suffering as you all are, and praying for your quick recoveries once you're safe at home.

But seriously, what's making this festival so bad in your eyes? Obviously parking is going to be more of a bitch, but that's a given and something you just have to deal with when the festival sells out (or, better yet, camp and not have to deal with it daily). The only thing I see as a legitimate statement against GV's negligence is the too much merch, too little art statement. But I'd like to see that fleshed out more in order to better understand how it changes the atmosphere of the fest.

I mean, come on! The lineup is fucking phenomenal and the weather is perfect. Suck it up. Or is all this non-constructive complaining about the lack of tesla coils this year? Yeah.. that would make sense, then. Mope on, little brothers and sisters.
    When you sell too many tickets, the problems multiply. Getting to the parking lots means sitting for a couple of hours on one of the few streets leading to the venue. Getting into a parking lot and parking takes additional time. Lines to get in at entrances are much longer and the "single file" system gets replaced with a "push your way to the front" system. Once inside, the additional people mean longer waits at food lines and tents filling up to capacity and then some. Anyone who walked by La Roux's show after it started knows what I mean. Once the sun goes down, the grounds are dark and navigating from stage to stage becomes an adventure of not stepping on people or getting stepped on.

The wristbands also didn't help things. On entering, you were subject to TWO bag searches (why?), a body search, then you had to hand your ticket to one guy, who tore it off and scanned it. He then handed your ticket stub off to yet another guy who put your wristband on. This just seemed to take too much time.
    COACHELLA 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I guess I understand. I was at Coachella 2008 and the worst moment of that experience was most definitely waiting in the middle of a stuffed and turbulent Sahara crowd for M.I.A. to get the fuck on stage. I've also been to Lolla the past 3 years, and that can be quite clusterfucky. Not to mention the lame crowd it attracts although this is unavoidable when your holding a festival in the middle of Chicago.

I've never had a line-waiting experience or fundamental management problem (like wristbands or something) ever scar a music experience. It's always been that the show itself washes away all the previous troubles of being able to see said show. Maybe I have more patience or maybe I haven't had as aggravating an experience as Coachella 2010, but whatever. My point is that there's nothing you can really do about stuff like that to instantly remedy the situation to yourself. But what about the crowd issues that occured? Obviously you can just leave a certain area if there's too many people or the people that are around are fucking assholes. But this sucks because then you're letting other people passively dictate your actions.

My question is, what did you guys try to do to make the most out of the shitty crowd situation? Were skulls busted, or did you vanish to enjoy something else somewhere? Or did you just try to enduuure?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    What a weird knee that woman has but I do like the crocs ...

This was my first Coachella and I really liked it, so I'm surprised at all the veterans' complaints. What was the main difference this year- just extra crowded?

...and extra douchey.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Lurker

Agreed Coachella died this year, not too mention the security robbing campers and campsites and beating the shit out of kids for absolutely no reason, Golden voice sucks major ass one of the security guards dislocated my shoulder and stole my flip because I recording him punching a kid on the ground in the face. this year was disgusting.

i dont know if anyone else was on monroe trying to get in on friday but the line was ridiculous. You only had one person checking bags, another person scanning your ticket and the third was putting your wrist band on you. we waited over an hour!

there were so many people once we got in and it was especially worse when a popular band played on the outdoor theater i.e. mgmt, hot chip, thom......there were endless amounts of people you had to get through just to make it to the gobi tent or anywhere else for that matter.
    meow

old school

You people are pussies, the crowd was annoying as fuck, but it didn't really detract from the weekend or any of the performances I saw.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I asked this in another thread, but is there any act that DIDN'T have overwhelmingly massive crowds? I understand how it could be packed for Thom Yorke and even MGMT, but I'm surprised at the number of message board comments and articles that read something like, "Flying Lotus/La Roux/Yeasayer/Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros was PACKED!"

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    You people are pussies, the crowd was annoying as fuck, but it didn't really detract from the weekend or any of the performances I saw.
    I generally agree. Certainly had my problems, and it was probably the worst organized the fest has been in years (if not ever), but great music is great music.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    You're all just a bunch of fags. Do you really think GV is going to give a formal apology? You say you wouldn't go next year, but you know that you'll get a hard on the second the dates for next years show are posted. Just shut up and enjoy yourselfd, queers!
    Unfortunately, this is what constitutes the typical Coachella attendee this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

It was basically a cluster fuck... the unusually large amount of people and the new ferris wheel kinda gave me the impression that Coachella was almost being Disneyfied... like, I hate Disneyland :/

It's sad. It's like I'm watching my favorite event in the world fall to pieces right in front of me.

seriously! it's so disappointing!