Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Car search = FAIL

Default Re: Car search = FAIL

Wow this thread took me back to my wait in line last year and the first night of last year's campground sessions. Great times, great fun.
    fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_C View Post
    Anyone suspect car searching will be upgraded this year? I heard a rumour that Indio PD is doing the searches now and not some paid security company. Also was car check in continous into friday morning? I wont be getting in until 5 am ish on Friday this year. Thanks in Advance!!
    check the camping page on the main site for any other questions...

"You can check in at noon on Thursday until 2AM, and starting at 8am FRI - SUN (until midnight)"

There are a lot more police there than just Indio PD.

Last year it took them 3 minutes to search my car. They didn't really seem to care.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

That's because you're a deputy sheriff. duh.

Old guy did a lap of my truck, commented on my football, and told me to have a good time. Hoping for a repeat this year.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

By the time night rolled around, security went from ridiculously strict (according to stories in this thread), to relatively careless. The only things the guy that checked my car asked for was if we had alchohol (he didn't verify whether we were being honest with how much we had), ID and to see inside my excedrin bottle that had only excedrin in it. He didn't open my hood or trunk, he didn't check under the car, didn't have us unpack or unroll anything nor did he ask us to get out of the car.
    fuck.

worst part of any festival is the line and the pat down to get in...
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Bump how bad was it last year? Just wondering I have sleep meds I would rather not have to check in.. But if I do I do I guess.

Also wondering when I should show up to I would rather get there on Friday morning but I don't wanna miss any shows.

Was not bad at all for my group last year. Cursory glance in the cooler and got waved through. This was about 7pm on Thursday.

We had to take everything out at noon on Thursday. Not really a big deal if you're ready for it. If you can't get it in, you don't deserve to have it. It's like a game, make sure you win.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

My group usually gets into town early on Thursday and we wait at Ralphs before heading in. Took some time, 2 hrs+/- but if you are there thursday, then thats pretty much what you signed up for cuz theres nothing else going on.
    Search wise, had to take everything out, and they were looking under hoods and random places on cars, but there was no methodology to it. Some looked in air boxes, and some didn't look hardly at all. I would say that if there are fresh hand prints under the hood where there shouldn't be, then that's going to be a red flag and they would check that out, but if everything looks normal, then that may be it.
    Just be ready, have everything out and be as cooperative as possible, even showing them around so they dont have to do the work. If you try to obstruct anything, its going to take longer, and its likely someone else will come along and help search harder.
    Just remember, they are trained to look at everything including your demeanor. If you look like a hardcore stoner, or hippie, or rave junky, be ready to get profiled. Put on some regular clothes for a change, look normal, don't be an idiot. Take off the rainbow braclets (candy) and they wont think you are smuggling in ecstasy. There will be plenty of time to look like a clown. If you car is a mess, then yea, its gonna take time for them to go through it, be organized, and have it ready to come out, because it will ALL come out.
    Common sense will prevail.

Took us less than 2 hours last year to get in and parked at our spot. We arrived around 11 on Thursday. My sister and I had the hard top convertible that security made us put up so they could search the trunk. If you ever want the attention of all of security without them really looking at anything in depth, be a girl with a convertible. Lol.
    My friends were behind us in a Tacoma truck. The back was fully packed and tied down. Did make them take the net tie thing off the top and did a cursory search. Saw the Hookah case and told them they couldn't bring in instruments. Told them it was a hookah and then the security guys tried to explain to some of the other security what a hookah was. Quite comical. I don't even think they realized it had glass as they didn't even make them fully unzip the case.
    Overall, it is totally random. Some people get cavity searched (especially when they roll up in a VW camper van with tie-dye) and some people barely get looked at. Depends on the crowds, the security guard they get, and other stuff. I personally wouldn't recommend getting in Friday morning, not just because of the logn wait you may have, but also because you will get a shittier spot. The later you arrive, the further your spot typically.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post

Even better.

i prefer a portable speaker. all you need is a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Took us less than 2 hours last year to get in and parked at our spot. We arrived around 11 on Thursday. My sister and I had the hard top convertible that security made us put up so they could search the trunk. If you ever want the attention of all of security without them really looking at anything in depth, be a girl with a convertible. Lol.
    My friends were behind us in a Tacoma truck. The back was fully packed and tied down. Did make them take the net tie thing off the top and did a cursory search. Saw the Hookah case and told them they couldn't bring in instruments. Told them it was a hookah and then the security guys tried to explain to some of the other security what a hookah was. Quite comical. I don't even think they realized it had glass as they didn't even make them fully unzip the case.
    Overall, it is totally random. Some people get cavity searched (especially when they roll up in a VW camper van with tie-dye) and some people barely get looked at. Depends on the crowds, the security guard they get, and other stuff. I personally wouldn't recommend getting in Friday morning, not just because of the logn wait you may have, but also because you will get a shittier spot. The later you arrive, the further your spot typically.
    Quote Originally Posted by taco goes to coachella View Post
    My group usually gets into town early on Thursday and we wait at Ralphs before heading in. Took some time, 2 hrs+/- but if you are there thursday, then thats pretty much what you signed up for cuz theres nothing else going on.
    Search wise, had to take everything out, and they were looking under hoods and random places on cars, but there was no methodology to it. Some looked in air boxes, and some didn't look hardly at all. I would say that if there are fresh hand prints under the hood where there shouldn't be, then that's going to be a red flag and they would check that out, but if everything looks normal, then that may be it.
    Just be ready, have everything out and be as cooperative as possible, even showing them around so they dont have to do the work. If you try to obstruct anything, its going to take longer, and its likely someone else will come along and help search harder.
    Just remember, they are trained to look at everything including your demeanor. If you look like a hardcore stoner, or hippie, or rave junky, be ready to get profiled. Put on some regular clothes for a change, look normal, don't be an idiot. Take off the rainbow braclets (candy) and they wont think you are smuggling in ecstasy. There will be plenty of time to look like a clown. If you car is a mess, then yea, its gonna take time for them to go through it, be organized, and have it ready to come out, because it will ALL come out.
    Common sense will prevail.
    Alrite thanks for the advice we look like pretty normal people IMO also if they do find drugs from a dumbass friend of mine there just gonna take them away rite? there not gonna arrest us and kick us out or anything extreme rite? guess if that is a possibility I maybe not letting some people come in my car lol.

Last year weekend 1 I got there around 11:30 and it took about an hour to get through. They didn't check my stuff with any serious scrutiny, but they did confiscate a 40 that I forgot was rolling around in my trunk.

The shitty part was when they woke me up at 7 am on friday to tell me that the spot they had directed me to when I arrived was off of the end of the row (it was in the corner behind the showers next to the silent disco and the row was shorter than the others so it wasn't in any way obvious and there was still plenty of space for anything that needed to go around) and that I had to pack my tent and gear back up and move to a spot that was considerably further away. They gave me 4 water bottles as a consolation for their mistake. Fucking water bottles...
    "I like when good things happen to me, but I wait two weeks to tell anyone because I like to use the word ‘fortnight.’" - D.M.

Wow. That must have sucked.

I got to repack my tent too at about 1 am Friday night when the fire ants took over the entire tent. A new MUST HAVE for my list of gear is industrial strength bug spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    ding ding ding ding ding

goldfish too

Quote Originally Posted by JayXMonsta View Post
    Alrite thanks for the advice we look like pretty normal people IMO also if they do find drugs from a dumbass friend of mine there just gonna take them away rite? there not gonna arrest us and kick us out or anything extreme rite? guess if that is a possibility I maybe not letting some people come in my car lol.
    honestly never seen anyone around me in line get busted for drugs. prescriptions now thats another story, they have to be in the bottle with your name on them (that's actually a felony in CA if its a pain killer) I have seen both general confiscation, and full on, hook-em and book-em so i guess it depends on the quantity....like personal use vs purposes of distribution...

Also, they do check YOU not just the car. My advise to cover the rest of you, is that if the person in your group can't be sly enough, just make him take them out of the car during the search, stuff them, do whatever, but at least its out of the car, and you wont be guilty by association, you can just say you didn't know, then only his weekend is ruined, and they dont boot the whole car out-

Quote Originally Posted by taco goes to coachella View Post
    Also, they do check YOU not just the car. My advise to cover the rest of you, is that if the person in your group can't be sly enough, just make him take them out of the car during the search, stuff them, do whatever, but at least its out of the car, and you wont be guilty by association, you can just say you didn't know, then only his weekend is ruined, and they dont boot the whole car out-
    Wow that's a really shitty thing to do. It's not that hard, people. Drugs are small.