Thread: manu chao (by himself or with radio bemba or what)

right now ATX (that's Austin, TX for you squares)

Default manu chao (by himself or with radio bemba or what)

First of all, if you dont know the awesomness and talen that is Manu Chao, i highly suggest you check out immediately. The guy has great talent and sings in 5 languages. Also used to be in a band back in the day called Mano Negra...check that out as well

But anyways i was wondering if anyone knew if he was playing by himself like alone on the stage or is he gonna have the crazy ensemble of radio bemba soundsystem. Its rare that manu plays alone, but when in the recent past when he hasn't the bill would say something like "manu chao and radio bemba sound system" or "manu chao, featuring Radio Bemba soundsystem"
    if anyone's ever seen him or has any idea lemme know. I am really looking forward to seeing him!
    see kids, Lily Allen is proof, you can go from being a drug dealer in Ibiza, to a musical star, and eventually play at coachella

Default Re: manu chao (by himself or with radio bemba or what)

with radio bemba

i saw him in san diego last year. AWESOME 2nd best show that year after daft and i bet hes playing with radio bemba as he is in big bold letters

SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

i wanted ot see him whikle i was in europe... but i couldn't
    instead i saw daft punk 3 times hahahah
    man i cannot wait. I hope they dont conflict with RATM....or i will be torn. I know that sounds shcokingly unbelieveable but its true
    see kids, Lily Allen is proof, you can go from being a drug dealer in Ibiza, to a musical star, and eventually play at coachella

i can't wait! i saw manu in san diego last july and it was freakin' amazing! the best live show i've been to, ever! i strongly urge everyone who goes to definitely not miss seeing him. you will not be disappointed.

one other question...

when you people saw manu chao, did he perform any songs from when he was in mano negra, like the songs he did with mano negra but never rerecorded them for his solo albums, like senor matanza, paris la nuit
    ...somone told me he performed la trampa.... but what aobut other stuff...like tihngs from putas or babylon

mala vida.

at the Shrine.

manu = love.

lsjflsdjfksd.

I cant wait.

its going to be amazing.
    especially right before RAGE.

Manu Chau its gonna be awesome .. !! cool songs ..cant wait to see him

sweet...i jsut hope he does some songs from mano negra... i know tat was back i nthe dya but still
    in the meantime... i will be digging out my columbian jersey from the 80's ...
    and a frnech jersery too ...and get the flags too

no flags allowed

Holy crap! I just figured out who Manu Chao is! Bongo bongs? Fucking sick song! I had no idea that was him. I just got so much more exited!
    attended '01,'02,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,10

no flags? what.... u mmean like not flag poles or osmething... lat year i fucking had lke 3 of em...and i wore 2 of them .... and people kept mistkaing the swiss flag for the first aid flag ....*sigh

and to the person above me...i am glad you finally leanred of bongo bong.... i was in ireland recently and i heard robbie williams singing it...i wasl ike WTF robbie williams covered this song...and everyone looked at me wondering who did it originally....and so i brought them the awesomeness of mano chao

his 2nd album is a lot more upbeat btw ...
    dont get be wrong Clandesitno is agood album...but friggin listen to Proxima estacion : Esperanza..... it is great...and it incoporates the most languages than any other album i believe (5 are used in this album, english spanish french portugese and arabic i think) definatly check it out though i am most exicted to see this band

Iv'e heard "bongo bong" so many times, and never know who wrote it. Actually, first time I heard it was a remix during a Mark Farina set 6 years ago, and the song has not left my head since. Freakin' pumped to see him live! There's a couple of good live vids on youtube I found of him, if y'all interested.
    attended '01,'02,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,10

i love rage against the machine and manu chao, there by miles my two favourite bands, ive seen manu before but never with radio bemba, the real reason im going is to see rage though and i am traveling from scotland to do so....i pray they wont be on the same time, i couldnt cope with that, but if i say them back to back, it would be as if i had come up with my perfect festival and that was it

MANU CHAO IS FUCKING INFECTIOUS! I LOVE IT!

Yep.
    Music Is Crap.

I saw him in Tijuana in 01 or 02, can't remember. It was one of the best shows i've ever seen in my life. Clandestino and Proxima Estacion:Esperanza are but one record in two volumes. The voice samples that you hear in betwen the songs are from an old mexican movie, i forgot the name of it, but it's main character it's a ghetto witch named Hermelinda Linda, the smaples used in the first record are from the first movie and the ones used in the second are from the sequel. Those 2 records are full of inside jokes and cultural references, they're awesome.

BUT... Manu Chao hasn't evolved, his thoughts are very outdated and he has become, in my eyes, aboring preachy old man. About the music, my brother saw him again in LA last year and said to me... meeeeh, it's the very same show he did in Tj but souless.

So, if you've never seen him it should be great, if you saw him in his prime, it's def an act you can see from far away.

isnt it on the poster?
    An elegant death by glow sticks.

...05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13' and counting...

Angry Re: manu chao (by himself or with radio bemba or what)

frijolesdelaolla,

i definitely agree with your brother's opinion regarding mano chao's recent u.s.tour. i was able to catch his show last year at lollapalooza and his performance was very weak and just old news(i think the flaming lips put on the best performance at lolla that year). i did enjoy hearing and loved that he played some classic mano negra songs, but his performance didn't have that umph! It also didn't help that the full band (Radio Bemba) didn't participate in the tour and thus the brass section and others were substituted by a keyboard and synth.

i definitely hope that this manu chao performance includes the entire radio bemba crew, but as i said earlier (and this is coming from a huge fan who used to get giddy whenever he listened to manu chao, but never had the opportunity to see manu chao b/c he never toured the states until last year!) i think that manu chao's tour in the u.s. is just old news. i'm just not really excited too see him perform--where was he 12 or 10 years ago when i has in high school and really hyped and going ape-sh*t over his music!!! i used to go ga-ga over his movie samples in his songs. now his records are something that i barely spin on my turntable b/c i'm just over those days. i don't want to be downer, so maybe i'll just stop and go watch some boots of his older live shows to get over his lateness!

I saw him in san diego last year and most of Radio Bemba members were there, I think he played like two hours+, and it was great...

many people would say his prime was when he wasi n mano negra in the late 80'sand early 90's i was very young then....but man... he pretty much..well him and the band pretty much jsut went aorund columbia playing for whatever and whoever....it was really random back then, and now who would have guessed...years late and in a different country...i would rediscover him...and come to find out he has a solo career. I really od hope he is not on at the same time as RATM or i will be soooooo pist off! seriously....i would;nt know what ot do.... i would cry really....now if they are back to back...that would be PERFECT!

you know...i dunno why this jsut poppedinto my head...but has anyone ever seen or heard of Orisis..... that would be cool to see them

i heard of manu two summers ago in a great bar in guanajuato. when i got back home i bought clandestino and it's been love ever since. got to see him last summer in San Francisco...and boy was it a great show! i loved it! he's definately one of the reasons i'm going to Coachella this year!

don't miss Manu Chao!!!! con Radio Bemba!!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Pardon me..but what is the difference between Manu himself and Radio Bemba? I have only heard of Manu Chao but never his music...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

alright manu chao is one guy.... the cds are jsut him. But in live shows...because there is so much invovled...he gets other people to play things and what not. Think of it like Prince... he susually plays with people...like the revolution, or the new power generation. Or better yet... here's a better exmple. LCD soundsystem is one dude (james murphy) but if you have ever seen him live....you wontsee him on stage by himeself...he will be up there with 4 or so other people....who are like the touring band. (if you know the band !!! no really that is what the band is called !!! anyways one of the dudes form !!! is with murphy on stage for live performances) anyways the reason i first asked, is becasue manu chao doesnt always play with a band, sometimes it iwll be by himself....and trust me with the band it is a lot better. Go and see if you cna find por la careterra on youtube google or torrent sites, and that is a dvd of him and radio bemba soundsystem ...you cna jsut feel the energy. Hell just buy the live album.. his 3 studio albums are clandestino, proxima estacion esperanza and siberie m'etait conteee (i dunno how to put accentsi n there and you cna look it up, and yes it really is with 3 e's in conteee.) this is the only album of his that is in one language, it being french. If you were at last years coachella you might have seen the blind couple, amadou and mariam....he produced them. So if you enjoyed them check out manu

on another note...i like how the poster didnt add radio bemba soundsystem on the poster until after i brought this subject up on the boards.....perhaps people do pay attention to this site

oh yea on another note..... if given enough freedom to do so...manu chao has been known to play lllloooonnnngggg sets. In one case they played for 3 hours, one of those hours was an encore ... but yea...

btw el ornelas, is that pic from La mala educacion, good movie....(still need ot see volver)

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddjester View Post
    alright manu chao is one guy.... the cds are jsut him. But in live shows...because there is so much invovled...he gets other people to play things and what not. Think of it like Prince... he susually plays with people...like the revolution, or the new power generation. Or better yet... here's a better exmple. LCD soundsystem is one dude (james murphy) but if you have ever seen him live....you wontsee him on stage by himeself...he will be up there with 4 or so other people....who are like the touring band. (if you know the band !!! no really that is what the band is called !!! anyways one of the dudes form !!! is with murphy on stage for live performances) anyways the reason i first asked, is becasue manu chao doesnt always play with a band, sometimes it iwll be by himself....and trust me with the band it is a lot better. Go and see if you cna find por la careterra on youtube google or torrent sites, and that is a dvd of him and radio bemba soundsystem ...you cna jsut feel the energy. Hell just buy the live album.. his 3 studio albums are clandestino, proxima estacion esperanza and siberie m'etait conteee (i dunno how to put accentsi n there and you cna look it up, and yes it really is with 3 e's in conteee.) this is the only album of his that is in one language, it being french. If you were at last years coachella you might have seen the blind couple, amadou and mariam....he produced them. So if you enjoyed them check out manu

on another note...i like how the poster didnt add radio bemba soundsystem on the poster until after i brought this subject up on the boards.....perhaps people do pay attention to this site

oh yea on another note..... if given enough freedom to do so...manu chao has been known to play lllloooonnnngggg sets. In one case they played for 3 hours, one of those hours was an encore ... but yea...

btw el ornelas, is that pic from La mala educacion, good movie....(still need ot see volver)
    3 hours? Hmmm maybe he will pull a Blackstar and go on after the main headliner (Rage) and play till 1am...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

DO YOU KNOW HOW SWEET THAT WOULD BE,.....!?!?!?!?! THEM RIGHT AFTER RAGE...AND THE MUSIC GOING ON UNTIL 1 AM.,...THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
    but i doubt that will happen...
    all i ask is that they dont play at the same time. After all....you cnat have 2 political aritsts playing at the same time.....back to back is much better