Thread: ??? for Sahara veterans/addicts

A small enclosed room with no windows. And I like it.

Default ??? for Sahara veterans/addicts

I love the Sahara and have spent many hours there enjoying some blastin' dance music, but each year I've enjoyed the shows from further back so I have room to dance and a decent amount of open space. The sound is great from back there, but this year I'm thinking I might want to be up front for a couple acts and I'm wondering how the sound is up front? Is it nice and even, or does the bass overpower everything? Also, how is the movement up front? Is it like sardines or is there a decent amount of movement allowed because everybody is moving?
    Nothing to see here, folks - just move along

Default Re: ??? for Sahara veterans/addicts

my favorite place in the sahara, and in my opinion the best place to see pretty much any act in the sahara is right in front of the frontmost sound booth. it works like a rock in an avalanche if you know what i mean, you get a nice pocket of dancing room right in front of the rail and a bit farther forward. you have a good view, and great sound. if i really want to feel like im in the crowd ill go up to the front, but i reccomend the spot in front of that sound booth.
    -tim
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    my favorite place in the sahara, and in my opinion the best place to see pretty much any act in the sahara is right in front of the frontmost sound booth. it works like a rock in an avalanche if you know what i mean, you get a nice pocket of dancing room right in front of the rail and a bit farther forward. you have a good view, and great sound. if i really want to feel like im in the crowd ill go up to the front, but i reccomend the spot in front of that sound booth.
    -tim
    this, I love being against the front rail of the sound booth. great place to be.

to answer OP, the sound up front is about like you'd expect. loud almost to the point of blaring. its not particularly bass heavy (overpowered) its just simply...loud. however, it still sounds amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

best sound around...

http://www.ratsound.com/

We spend a lot of time in the Sahara front right rail. I didn't hear the OPs question though... LOL Yeah it can be loud and I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat everytime they dropped some bass, but it also depends who's playing. I might have preferred being further back for Daft Punk in 2006 for the visuals, but was fine in 2008 for FatBoy Slim. And if Steve Aoki is anywhere in the Sahara Tent, I'd recommened the porta pottie area. Ideal though? Yep, probably in front of the sound booth.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I like to be way up front, but I like to use a good pair of non-muffling earplugs if I'm going up to the rail. Then I can still feel the bass rattle my bones, but I'm also not deaf for the rest of the day. It also helps the bass to not overpower everything else.

These are pretty awesome and only 12 bucks a pair: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

As for movement space, depends on the band. The big names you'll be crushed and probably only be able to wiggle/jump. Smaller DJs, you'll have some room to maneuver as long as you're trying to do some crazy ass interpretative dance of your own with hulu hoops and whatnot.

There is a running joke in my group about "back right corner", which is the area just in front of the handicapped section in the Sahara. It's our default meetup spot for the weekend. We move forward or backwards from there depending on the size of the crowd.

I hope they filled the pothole which is about 30 feet back from center stage. I find myself stumbling into it each year.

During the Bloody Beetroots set last year, it was basically a mosh pit. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    There is a running joke in my group about "back right corner", which is the area just in front of the handicapped section in the Sahara. It's our default meetup spot for the weekend. We move forward or backwards from there depending on the size of the crowd.

I hope they filled the pothole which is about 30 feet back from center stage. I find myself stumbling into it each year.
    no, its fun watching people fall in it as they try and fumble their way through the dark crowd.

Back right corner, eh? My crew is more of a back left corner for meetups.

I've found the sound in the Sahara is more uniform than would be expected. I always prefer a little more room to move than a specific place in the tent. That said, go to some earlier sets and check out the front. You might like it.

Positioning yourself near the soundboard is rule number one of good sound for any concert. After all the soundman is mixing everything to sound good where he is standing.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Soundboard is where i was for Aphex Twin in '08, and it was PERFECT. Typically i'm towards the back for more crowded sets, but during the afternoon sets it's easy to get up front when it's not as crowded and yeah it is LOUD and takes control of your body. Both are good.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I've been all over the Sahara over the years and I'd agree with the sound booth claim. And if you can't get there any place up and down the center is usually a good even spot.

Unfortunately it's a harder place to pass the party favors!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Sometimes I like to hang in the side of the tent where I can dance freely but also get a blast of any air from outside if it gets too packed during a show. But if you hang out in the front the sound is also good. I just don't like to get jabbed in the back by douches trying to push their way forward. Although I have to say the vibe is always pretty decent in the Sahara tent (minus when Madonna played.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Positioning yourself near the soundboard is rule number one of good sound for any concert. After all the soundman is mixing everything to sound good where he is standing.

THIS

can't emphasize enough.

i like to be behind the soundbooth, because nobody's head blocks my vision (being the booth in front of me)
    -n ://redthreat.us

Quote Originally Posted by lagirlwithstyle View Post
    minus when Madonna played
    yeah. wtf was she doing booked in the sahara?
    -n ://redthreat.us

Killing the vibe from what was an amazing set by Paul Oakenfold before she went on.

Quote Originally Posted by redthreat View Post
    yeah. wtf was she doing booked in the sahara?

Killing the vibe from what was an amazing set by Paul Oakenfold before she went on.
    LOL.
    "Is being overpaid to play somebody else's music so hard that you can't fucking carry some records?"

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post

i had the same meet up point last year...worked out great!! we usually migrated up front a little bit right by the speaker. ahhhh, cant wait....

lowfront

I spend most if not all my time in the sahara, and I'm always up in front in the heart of the action

and it sounds like heaven

A small enclosed room with no windows. And I like it.

Based on this I'll probably rock out where I have before (which is right by the sound booth), but I might venture up closer in an early set to check it out. Thanks for your input.

And heyeric - your avatar is HOTT! Much props.
    Nothing to see here, folks - just move along

Banned

In front of the sounbooth is the place to be, just way too much chaos on the rail to enjoy the music.

Sometimes I like to hang in the side of the tent where I can dance freely but also get a blast of any air from outside if it gets too packed during a show. But if you hang out in the front the sound is also good. I just don't like to get jabbed in the back by douches trying to push their way forward. Although I have to say the vibe is always pretty decent in the Sahara tent (minus when Madonna played.)
    you should probably post in the post your picture thread...

from the number of people saying "soundbooth" i get the suspicion we've probably stood near each other at past shows.

Why is that? My pic is my avatar. If you see me and want to be friendly and say hi, I'm all for it. I'm a pretty friendly person.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    you should probably post in the post your picture thread...

OMG that would be my nightmare. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post

Why is that? My pic is my avatar. If you see me and want to be friendly and say hi, I'm all for it. I'm a pretty friendly person.
    75k amongst us? i'm sure i'll find ya with that tiny avatar no problem.

Lol. I'm pretty short so you prob won't see me above a crowd anyways. haha.