Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stay postive - what's the worst Coachella set you have witnessed?

Default Re: Stay postive - what's the worst Coachella set you have witnessed?

I still don't understand the title of this thread. Do you not know what words mean?

HIV positive? Proof positive that your significant other is sleeping with a biker gang? Positive isn't always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    Sleigh Bells last year gives Crystal Castles a run for their money.
    Not even close.

Crystal Castles was one of the worst sets I've seen period.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I'm positive that the OP is an idiot.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

If you werent at Happy Mondays in 2007, Im afraid your vote - however well thought out and intentioned - can really only count as 1/3 of a vote.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

MIA on the main stage due to her shitty sound effects and truncated set, BRMC due to technical problems, Morrisey due to him being a twat... All have been mentioned before and I agree.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

MGMT last year.

I actually didn't think MGMT was that bad last year. I'd heard how terrible they are live for a long time but I thought they were alright.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Sleighbells was pretty bad
    and knaan't showing up at all last year was pretty lame for those who waited 30 minutes for nothing
    Madonna's epic 4 song set that closed down coachella was definitely a close runner up to sleigh bells.
    Why sleigh bells? When you see the crowd run out like it's Godzilla coming for us and are equally confused with terrible pointless screaming, if that's not enough, let's discuss rap-metal theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    I actually didn't think MGMT was that bad last year. I'd heard how terrible they are live for a long time but I thought they were alright.
    It wasn't even them really, I kind of had the notion that their performance wasn't going to differ too much from listening to the album, it was really the crowd that killed it for me, very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    MIA on the main stage due to her shitty sound effects and truncated set, BRMC due to technical problems, Morrisey due to him being a twat... All have been mentioned before and I agree.
    This... The screeching horn during her set was downright painful.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Sly Stone gets my vote.
    COACHELLA 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I would say the most dissapointing set last year was Echo and the Bunnymen

Uffie
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

i got pretty lucky last year and saw only one set that i thought was bad and that was La Roux.... i think we were so far back that we could hear what she actually sounds like... my friend was just like "La RUDE" and walked away from her set... and so did myself and a few other people...

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

MGMT. Never been so bored in my life. Oh yeah ETC or whatever the cube is too
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Were any of you in the first 15 "rows" for any of these sets?

Many sets suck way more when you're standing at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandemind View Post
    Were any of you in the first 15 "rows" for any of these sets?

Many sets suck way more when you're standing at the back.
    I was near front for Audio Bullys and they still blew, hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

Lurker

The Gotan Project in 2007 - it went over time which meant The Good The Bad And The Queen was even later then the midnight start they were slated for; they were boring and it the ongoing nature of it made it a very irritating set
    Ale, Ale, AleAleAle,
    Allesandro....Del Piero,
    He's Sydney's number 10

Where the sky's blue SYDNEY!

Quote Originally Posted by blacklite View Post
    i got pretty lucky last year and saw only one set that i thought was bad and that was La Roux.... i think we were so far back that we could hear what she actually sounds like... my friend was just like "La RUDE" and walked away from her set... and so did myself and a few other people...
    I'm surprised at this opinion of La Roux. It definitely wasn't amazing, but I thought it was a pretty good set.

I agree with the negative reviews of MGMT. In general I think I've been wise/lucky enough to miss most of what I've heard were the worst performances at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Not even close.

Crystal Castles was one of the worst sets I've seen period.
    What this guy/everybody else said
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyCeltic View Post
    The Gotan Project in 2007 - it went over time which meant The Good The Bad And The Queen was even later then the midnight start they were slated for; they were boring and it the ongoing nature of it made it a very irritating set
    this too. TGTBATQ were closing other dates with Guns of Brixton after playing their debut album end to end. They couldn't at coachella because they ran out of time. So glad I saw TGTBATQ instead of the Chile Peppers that year, really magical set.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    If you werent at Happy Mondays in 2007, Im afraid your vote - however well thought out and intentioned - can really only count as 1/3 of a vote.
    Agreed. I didn't get to see Sly last year, so this is still the worst performance that I've personally witnessed.

It was all downhill after Tony Wilson's introduction.

This was as good as it would get.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Antony 2009. Tried all this new stuff not based on songs, had computer problems, tried to laugh it off by acting cute. I still love the Antony & the Johnsons albums, but that was a real let down.

club 75. that shit was so boring. i could only put up with about 8 min of it, it wasn't even music, just a lot of high pitched sirens not synced to any kind of beat or anything. it just seemed like justice and friends trying to be cool and avant garde. MIA on the main stage was awesome though, even though she kind of did the same thing, i could kind of understand what she was going for.
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by username44 View Post
    I would say the most dissapointing set last year was Echo and the Bunnymen
    THIS. As someone whose seen Echo multiple times it just seemed like they phoned in their performance. I left only a few songs in but even then, the Gobi was too packed to get in to see LaRoux.

MSTRKRFT in 09. The first half hour was alright but they proceeded to trainwreck two mixes in a row, just sloppy offbeat mixing, you know when the beats sound like a horses hooves going "clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop" like really terrible. I had to leave the tent in disgust, went and checked out the end of Mastodon's set, I'm not even into metal but it was 1000x better than listening to MSTRKRFT embarass themselves at the biggest show they've ever played.

EDIT: I'm a DJ so this sort of thing really jumps out at me. Most people had no complaints about the set...

Runner-up would have to be Plastikman. I know it's minimal or whatever, but I've listened to lots of Richie's DJ sets and I loved the minimal house and minimal techno he usually plays. I guess that is what I was expecting, with such a crazy light setup I figured he would play an energetic set with music that, while minimal, would be good to dance to.

The set he ended up performing could best be described as "Ambient Acid". what at first felt like an interesting intro/build turned into 30 minutes of squeeching, squelching, and sputtering that would pitter in and out of existence without ever building into anything that could be considered remotely akin to a "Beat". Absolutely no energy, I practically fell asleep on my feet before ditching to catch the end of Yorke.
    Last edited by Edmontonian; 03-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.

M.I.A. in '08 and '09. Two years straight of bleeding ears.
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

Morrissey (09) - Bitch bitch bitch about the smell of burning flesh
    Noah & The Whale - Only played their slow shit
    Liars - Sounded nothing like the album, just a guy growling into a mic
    The Horrors - Pissed because they had to compete with the Cure so they played only new shit, which sounded nothing like their old shit
    Fatboy Slim (09) - Played nothing recognizable
    Interpol (07) - Dead on stage as usual
    Jesus & Mary Chain - See above
    Madonna - 15 minute set, need I say more?

Crystal Castles 09.....
    COACHELLA '06 '07 '09 '11 '12(2) '14(1)