Thread: anyone seen this?

Default anyone seen this?

I was scouring the web and I found this site. It looks like it spits out results based on associations appearing in web articles.

http://www.knover.com/Search/Coachella

I figured, fuck, Madonna's going to be #1, since the media made a huge ass deal about her...but alas...she was not #1...the Pixies were...and I feel better about being alive now. *but Madonna was #2...le sigh

Banned

Default Re: anyone seen this?

Doesn't work very well ...

Error:

Oops, Knover apologizes.

We are making a quick fix to enhance your experience.

Please try again in a few minutes.

E

radiohead shows before Depeche Mode...imagine that

That website is weird. I typed in a few schools I have attended, and the results are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    That website is weird. I typed in a few schools I have attended, and the results are all over the place.
    It seems to only pull up results from stuff that is heavily written about on the web. and it only covers notable people and notable things. That's why Coachella brings up results. It's very specific eh? wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Doesn't work very well ...

Error:

Oops, Knover apologizes.

We are making a quick fix to enhance your experience.

Please try again in a few minutes.

E
    YOU BROKE IT! hehe what did you do that gave it that error? =P

Yeah, but even for notable things, the results are bizarre. For example, if you type in Sophia Coppola, you get Manolo Blahnik as a result before Francis Ford Coppola. Or, the first result for Harvard University is JFK, followed shortly thereafter with Hitler.

It seems like to create a more useful utility, the website creators would need to have some sort of mechanism for calculating not only how often certain linkages come up on the web, but also how often they come up in comparison to the total number of results for each given name on its own. Because otherwise it's just talking about quantity of citations, but not at all assessing that number in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Yeah, but even for notable things, the results are bizarre. For example, if you type in Sophia Coppola, you get Manolo Blahnik as a result before Francis Ford Coppola. Or, the first result for Harvard University is JFK, followed shortly thereafter with Hitler.

It seems like to create a more useful utility, the website creators would need to have some sort of mechanism for calculating not only how often certain linkages come up on the web, but also how often they come up in comparison to the total number of results for each given name on its own. Because otherwise it's just talking about quantity of citations, but not at all assessing that number in a meaningful way.
    Ok I tried Sofia Coppola and got Francis Ford at #3. Should he be #1? and since he's maybe it's safe to say that Sofia and Francis Ford don't appear in articles together that often? I don't know....hmmmm...
    I totally get what you're saying though...they need to assess the results in some way because right now the results aren't what you'd expect all of the time...except when you look up Herpes and Paris Hilton comes up as #1...haha