Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Coachella Regrets..

Default Re: Biggest Coachella Regrets..

Quote Originally Posted by cubrocker View Post
    missed fatboy slim and kraftwerk in 07

last year i did too much drugs right around the end of MBV and ended up spending the cures set swimming around in the grass and chewing on churros and lemonade. then finally wandering over to the sahara and i think etienne de crecy was on and i became terribly scared? or maybe chem bros was on. i also experienced chem bros from the cubatron. yeah that was a mistake.

i also regret watching the ting tings and crystal castles.
    I think you mean 2008 on fatboy and kraftwerk.

And I totally agree with you on Crystal Castles. That was painful.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Lurker

I tried to go watch Q & Not U in '04 but I was too fucked up on mushrooms and it was well over 105 degrees so I just ran back to a shade tent to melt for another 5hours. They broke up shortly thereafter. Also missed Broken Social Scene and Moving Units during my suffering.

Missed Linton Kwesi Johnson in 08 cause I slept in too late. That's really the major one that still bugs me.

Also, going to Audio Bullys instead of Atmosphere was really, really stupid. I'd already seen Atmosphere a billion times, and yet, aside from the fact that the AB show was lame, Brother Ali joined Slug on stage for "Blah blah blah", which is a favorite of mine and I'll probably never get to see done live now. Fuck you, Audio Bullys.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    I think you mean 2008 on fatboy and kraftwerk.

And I totally agree with you on Crystal Castles. That was painful.
    yes 2008 sorry
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

I missed most of Portishead in 2008 for Animal Collective. Although Animal Collective is one of my favorite bands and I totally like them more than Portishead, I guess I just didn't realize how many future opportunities I would have to see them and how few I would have to see Portishead. Biggest regret of my life

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I regret missing 04 , even though I had a great time in Amsterdam. I missed Kraftwerk, but I'm thankful that came back!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

lowfront

This regret has a serious impact on my life and really hate even thinking about it, have said it on these boards plenty of times

Watched sasha and digweed because my buddy said it was going to be worth it. Sasha and digweed was one of his favorite sets.

Missing.......Portishead

Was watching sasha and digweed thinking the whole time "damn this sucks I got to get out of here"

My friend::::::::::: "just wait man, its gonna get crazy"

Me, alright I'll stay a little longer

Waited, and waited,

and it never got better, and I thought it sucked

meanwhile, portishead is putting on one of the most highly praised acts ever to play at coachella.

I don't even think I have listened to portishead since because I just can't handle it.

Portishead was....AWESOME!!!

All my regrets lie with 08 my first year. Big one was ditching Roger Waters for Chromeo/Justice. Not that these were bad shows, far from it but my group of drugged of friends I went with decided that Roger was too much of a downer. I was all "Dark side of the moon is gonna play soon" but nooooooo had to leave. Lessin learned: as long as you remember where you're camped, don't be afraid to ditch your friends to see what YOU want to see. You will easily make Coachella friends.
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Not digging up a piece of Coachella grass and transplanting it at my old house.
    haha, i have been planning to do that since last year. gonna keep it growing on my back porch in a little pot.

Quote Originally Posted by venturas90sgirl View Post
    Lessin learned: as long as you remember where you're camped, don't be afraid to ditch your friends to see what YOU want to see. You will easily make Coachella friends.
    Glad that you learned that. Every single year I have gone I have spent a good portion of my time on my own meeting other people. Last year was the only year I was basically stuck with someone, and coincidentally it happened to be my least favorite year.
    05-12.2

I have gone by myself every single year, except for one year I went with a group for one day, and it sucked. You're always arguing about who to go see, you never, EVER see a full set, if two people want to camp for something special the others want to wander or go to the bathroom and so you never get close... it's just a nightmare. Never again. You always meet people when you're alone who are into the exact stuff you are because they're THERE at THAT spot with you. Much better experience.

Lessin learned: as long as you remember where you're camped, don't be afraid to ditch your friends to see what YOU want to see. You will easily make Coachella friends.
    i always go on my own and whoever wants to come is welcome.

this year im not even staying with a big group.

oh that reminds me of another sad miss... i was staying with a group in PS and i was ready to go but everyone kept taking FOREVER. Man Man played around 2pm and i was so excited to see them.... left my phone in the car so when i got to the entrance i had to go back to the car. big mistake. ran up to Man Man's set and heard the last downbeat and "thank you all very much"..... FUCK!!!!!

so last year i drove by myself each day while everyone else slept in. i told em they could have a ride as long as they were ready. never were.
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

All my regrets lie with 08 my first year. Big one was ditching Roger Waters for Chromeo/Justice. Not that these were bad shows, far from it but my group of drugged of friends I went with decided that Roger was too much of a downer. I was all "Dark side of the moon is gonna play soon" but nooooooo had to leave. Lessin learned: as long as you remember where you're camped, don't be afraid to ditch your friends to see what YOU want to see. You will easily make Coachella friends.
    everything you have said is correct. i missed RW, too.. wish i saw it.
    -n ://redthreat.us

going to 3 bonnaroos so far instead

JAY-Z -vs- COACHELLA '10
    an album length session of mash-ups,
    edits, and mixes for the road to Indio...

See you on the campground : )

I wish I hadn't missed Ghostland Observatory, Broken Social Scene and the most recent MSTRKRFT set.
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

Lurker

Thumbs up Re: Biggest Coachella Regrets..

i agree with all the friend ditchers...best way to avoid Coachella regrets it to ditch them all!

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetblue View Post
    Coachella is the first great religion founded in the United States. (Suck it, Scientology!).

My Biggest Regret was missing the 2nd half of the Aphex Twin Set because my girlfriend got sick...TRAGIC!!!

I missed Public Enemy doing It Takes A Nation all the way through. That's the only thing I regret really :[

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    I had a similar problem last year. I didn't eat anything bad, but i got caught up in the excitement and forgot to drink any water. Luckily I was in the Sahara because I drunkenly [even though I was sober] stumbled to the first aid tent, where they gave my a gatorade and made me lay down for an hour.

But biggest regret? Missing Cloud Cult last year I think. I can't think of any major misses
    Second biggest regret: Not thinking about going to the first aid tent. Ay yiyi! The effect of heat on the on the brain...get's ya every time! lol but I'm glad you recovered!

&&

Weatherman, I hear ya on the Audio Bullys Vs. Atmosphere conflict. I def love atmosphere and was bummed about missing out on him, but I knew he was playing in the LA soon after, so I thought no big deal. Instead, I decided to catch Audio Bullys (due to the fact that they were the act right before Daft Punk) I liked a few recorded tracks so I figured, why not? I was def disappointed, the DJ wasn't all that bad, but oh my word the "MC" sounded like trash, I actually believe he was trashed lol

but I can say I don't regret it, because I got an excellent spot for daft punk and even made it into the "VIP" area of the sahara tent. Fun, fun! def!

fgkdghdgd DAFT PUNK!

My first day attending coachella
    Friday 08: Me and my girlfriend were bleh about jack johnson and went to bed early instead of checking out the other people (NEVER AGAIN)

Friday 09:
    -Letting my Girlfriend convince me to leave Black Keys early to see Ting Tings and wait for Crystal Castles (good news, we saw black keys on their tour later that summer). Funnily enough, she only wanted to stay about 10 minutes after crystal castles came on, we then enjoyed a little Leonard Cohen

-Left Cohen early to get a good spot for Morrissey. I'm a big smiths fan and was digging solo stuff prior to coachella but thought his performance was awful. Also, that conflict made me miss Beirut... but all was forgiven when Macca went on

I have a feeling that missing Orbital will be a mistake
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Unhappy Re: Biggest Coachella Regrets..

missing the first coachella...
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Tasting my friend's crab fries. I was so sick.

Missing The Stooges (ughhhhhhh)

Not being close enough to the Arcade Fire in '05 to personally hug the band for what they just did. That set is literally the "close my eyes and go to my happy place" memory

I just realized that after ten years of this party, I have surprisingly few regrets... instead of carefully scheduling, I started letting my intuition guide me a bit more. I would say that if you are curious about something, chase it down. That alone put me at Daft Punk, Gogol Bordello, Boys Noize, Comedians of Comedy, Arcade Fire, and the rest of the "OMFG do you remember" moments.

Missing Radiohead in '04 because I had work was the reason why I have gone every year since..

But #2 is definitely staying after aesop rock through british sea power to watch bright eyes in 05', and missing Nine Inch Nails/The Locust/The Prodigy/Blood Brothers. I haven't made a mistake this terrible yet.. besides missing the beginning of the presets because I was stuck staring at that pretty light dealie out side the sahara last year.
    Last edited by NoGwenPlease; 04-11-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
    Jesus could be closing the outdoor stage and conflict with OutKast, and I would still be up front for Andre3000's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by adri_p View Post
    ditch them all!
    someone needs to make a bumper-sticker out of this
    -n ://redthreat.us

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Start. View Post
    but I can say I don't regret it, because I got an excellent spot for daft punk
    for real, if there was one awesome payoff about it it was that the tent was empty, and i was five-six rows back for DP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

Banned

Since last year was my first Coachella, my biggest regret would have to be not watching Paul McCartney every single second he was on.

Skipping Teddybears to watch RATM.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by somahead View Post
    Skipping Teddybears to watch RATM.
    Pretty sure they didn't overlap at all...saw 'em both...

And for me it was probably leaving Paul after his meh beginning for Crystal Method, who was fine, but literally deafened me...that sorta blew.