Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solid Sound Festival (Wilco Fest!)

Default Re: Solid Sound Festival (Wilco Fest!)

Wilco’s Friday night set at Solid Sound will be comprised exclusively of fan-requested songs, including covers. The band will take song submissions in advance and promises to learn 50 of those songs for the festival. Then, during the concert, approximately 20 songs will be selected live, at random, for Wilco to perform during its regular set. The encores will feature more fan-requested songs submitted via Twitter, as well as a live version of “Stump the Band” in which audience members will request songs and attempt to stump Wilco, a variation on the original “Stump the Band” segment featured on The Tonight Show. The Solid Sound version will feature modern-day comedic talent John Hodgman standing in for the late-great Johnny Carson, polling audience members for their best song challenges.

This is the first-ever all-request concert by Wilco. It may also be the last.

Info on how to request songs coming soon.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/wilco-...riday-june-21/

12/22 Afrika Bambaataa vs Arthur Baker @ W New York
    12/27 Dubfire @ Output
    12/28 Television @ Irving Plaza
    12/28 Boys Noize @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Sounds fun

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Wilco’s Friday night set at Solid Sound will be comprised exclusively of fan-requested songs, including covers. The band will take song submissions in advance and promises to learn 50 of those songs for the festival. Then, during the concert, approximately 20 songs will be selected live, at random, for Wilco to perform during its regular set. The encores will feature more fan-requested songs submitted via Twitter, as well as a live version of “Stump the Band” in which audience members will request songs and attempt to stump Wilco, a variation on the original “Stump the Band” segment featured on The Tonight Show. The Solid Sound version will feature modern-day comedic talent John Hodgman standing in for the late-great Johnny Carson, polling audience members for their best song challenges.

This is the first-ever all-request concert by Wilco. It may also be the last.

Info on how to request songs coming soon.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/wilco-...riday-june-21/
    So far we got three votes for Allman Bros "Ramblin Man."

Need some support here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Set times are up: http://solidsoundfestival.com/solid-sound-schedule/
    In case you are too lazy to click the link:
    FRIDAY, JUNE 21

6:30 – 7:30 PM
    White Denim (Courtyard C)

7:45 – 8:45 PM
    The Relatives (Joe’s Field)

9:15 – 11:15 PM
    WILCO (All Request show) (Joe’s Field)

11:30 PM – 12:30 AM
    screening of The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller with a live soundtrack by Yo La Tengo (Courtyard C)

SATURDAY, JUNE 22

12:00 – 12:45 PM
    Mark Mulcahy (Courtyard C)

12:00 – 3:00 PM
    Comedy Cabaret (1st Set) (Hunter Theatre)

12:45 – 1:30 PM
    Lucius (Courtyard D)

1:30 – 2:15 PM
    Sean Rowe (Courtyard C)

2:15 – 3:00 PM
    The Dream Syndicate (Courtyard D)

3:00 – 3:45 PM
    Sam Amidon (Courtyard C)

4:00 – 7:00 PM
    Comedy Cabaret (2nd Set) (Hunter Center)

4:00 – 5:00 PM
    Yo La Tengo (Courtyard D)

5:00 – 6:00 PM
    Foxygen (Courtyard C)

6:00 – 7:00 PM
    Low (Courtyard D)

7:15 – 8:30 PM
    Neko Case (Joe’s Field)

9:00 – 11:30 PM
    WILCO (Night 2) (Joe’s Field)

SUNDAY, JUNE 23

11:30 AM – 12:15 PM
    The Blisters (Courtyard C)

12:15 – 1:00 PM
    Mikael Jorgensen, Greg O’Keeffe & Oliver Chapoy (Courtyard D)

1:00 – 2:00 PM
    Story Pirates (Courtyard C)

1:00 – 2:00 PM
    Nels Cline & Julian Lage (Hunter Center)

2:00 – 3:00 PM
    The Autumn Defense (Courtyard D)

3:00 – 4:00 PM
    WNYC’s Radiolab w/ live scoring by On Fillmore (Courtyard C)

4:00 – 5:00 PM
    Os Mutantes (Joe’s Field)

5:00 – 6:00 PM
    Marc Ribot & David Hidalgo (Courtyard D)

6:00 – 7:00 PM
    Medeski Martin & Wood w/ Special Guests (Joe’s Field)
    At least in *my* awesome opinion.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

They have also announced installations and activities:

Continuing the tradition of creating new and exclusive artistic expressions as part of Solid Sound, several Wilco band members will premiere creative endeavors for this year’s festival, taking place June 21-23 at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA.

The first, created by Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, is a simulated sonic and visual experience of Wilco’s Chicago studio, The Loft. The installation will allow festival attendees a glimpse into the sights and sounds of the band’s personal recording and rehearsal space through visuals and never-before-heard audio samplings.

The second, created by Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche, is called Earth Drums. A hands-on exhibit, Earth Drums will allow people to communicate through a collection of drums situated throughout the MASS MoCA campus.

The third, dubbed Oscillator Fumes, is a series of collaborative synthesizer performances by Wilco keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen and longtime Wilco crewmembers Nathaniel Murphy, Travis Thatcher and Josh Goldsmith. Previous exhibits premiering at past Solid Sound Festivals have included Nels Cline’s Solid Sound Stompbox Station and Glenn Kotche’s InGlenntions.

Another Solid Sound tradition is the festival’s varied and extensive non-musical programming, which this year includes an urban birding walk; live birds of prey; post-concert guided star gazing with noted astronomer and famed solar eclipse-chaser Dr. Jay Pasachoff; an off-site naturalist hike; an axe restoration demonstration by Best Made; an environmental film series including a screening of the new documentary Musicwood; a “make-your-own musical instrument and jam session” for kids plus other kid-friendly crafts; discussions and demonstrations on home brewing, raising backyard chickens, making hot sauce, and more by Storey Publishing

http://solidsoundfestival.com/artist...ies-announced/
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

New Mark Mulcahy song http://mobile.avclub.com/articles/li...2/?mobile=true, which is excellent.
    Last edited by buddy; 05-31-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Three weeks. I'm looking forward to this. The music, art, and food trucks, filled with food and stuff.

Saturday single day passes sold out.
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Those sold out like 3 weeks ago (or more), didn't they?
    last.fm

I don't know; just checked today because my son got the day off and wants to go now and.....oops.

Gonna try to score something for him Friday.

See you in the beer line.

Well this is by far the coolest thing I've ever heard of. Sounds like Wilco really knows how to curate a festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

That covers set is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I really want to hear their take on Marquee Moon. I bet Nels Cline's second solo was nothing short of incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Their headlining set is on live right now. Live stream of audio.

http://play.wfuv.org/fuvplayer.php?M...1-3142f1411722

Setlist being updated.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/...a-bd9293e.html
    Last edited by faxman75; 06-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.

It was the most amazing show I've seen in quite a while.

Happy Birthday into Don't Fear the Reaper was phenomenal.

Tommy Stinson!

Last night's Wilco set was also brilliant,btw.

Faxman, thought you were going to this?

Was supposed to but sold my ticket because i'm going to Ireland and Scotland for ten days starting this upcoming Friday. It sounds like this was by far the best festival they have thrown yet. I went the first year and absolutely loved it. Did the sold out crowd make it feel crowded at any point?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I really want to hear their take on Marquee Moon. I bet Nels Cline's second solo was nothing short of incredible.
    Absolutely loved it, and yes Nels killed it.

When it was crowded, like for Wilco, it didn't seem confining like Coachella can be at times. I'll let the rest of the guys express their opinions, but I enjoyed it. The art at Moca was a nice feature, beautiful setting, and i appreciate the fact that's no conflicts for bands. Would definitely do again.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Was supposed to but sold my ticket because i'm going to Ireland and Scotland for ten days starting this upcoming Friday. It sounds like this was by far the best festival they have thrown yet. I went the first year and absolutely loved it. Did the sold out crowd make it feel crowded at any point?

Nothing like Coachella-crowded.

I didn't go today but I'd guess there were 10K plus on Joe's Field for the Saturday Wilco set and it felt snug. Way too many little kids who got in free. i got as close as i wanted for the courtyard shows (Dream Syndicate, Yo La Tengo, Foxygen) Food lines were longer than I would have imagined. I did the early comedy sets on Saturday and they were packed.

But all in all, great festival. Would def. do next year. Got to have beers with Buddy, Drinkey and MissBellaHell. Fun times.

Something to be said for being allowed to walk around from stage to stage with one's drink in hand. Great beer choices: Lagunitas, Smuttynose, BBC, and others. 6 bucks for a large pint cup.
    Last edited by santasutt; 06-23-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Thought they nailed it on the second take:

Nice, thanks for the review guys. They expanded the campus a bit and sold significantly more tickets this year and wondered if it would be uncomfortable. It sounds like it was a little tight but didn't take away from all the great positives. I too loved the setting and the art in the museum. I hope to get back to it again some day.

I plan to write a more detailed review later in the day, but I would like to express how fucking awesome this event was.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    last.fm

It was an awesome festival in a totally gorgeous setting. We stayed in an apartment in an old Victorian.
    Saturday's crowding was pretty noticeable in contrast to the other two days, and I had to stand in three food lines before I was able to get anything without meat in it. That, plus the heat, made me lose my mind for about three hours on Saturday.
    The covers set Friday and the 2.5 hour Saturday set were definite highlights, along with the live Yo La Tengo performance to the Buckminster Fuller documentary.
    Jeff Tweedy came out with Modeski Martin and Wood and sang Hate It Here. That was a treat for sure. Here is a link to the Youtube thing since I can't figure out how to make the actual video show up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPk8waihCo
    I'll let Andrew give you the real writeup.
    Last edited by MissBellaHell; 06-27-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    At least in *my* awesome opinion.

Soooo Solid Sound was a really amazing time. The venue is incredible, a wonderful museum built into a crazy old mill in the middle of a tiny little artsy/folksy/hippy town in the middle of a bunch of farms.

On the topic of the crowds - I heard people say that on Friday there were 6,000 people, and Saturday it was 10,000, and if those numbers are accurate, on Sunday there may have been as few as 3,000-4,000 people there. You could definitely feel how crowded it was on Saturday, but when watching bands, even on the small stages, it was was loose and very easy to get very close to the stages. For the Saturday Wilco performance, we had absolutely no problem walking on the right side of the field all the way up to the point where we were probably 50 feet from the stage. Lots of families, lots o laid back people just laying around and hanging out in the grass. The worst part about the crowds was that the food vendors were obviously not prepared for how many people would be there and by 8pm the lines were outrageous and they started running out of a lot of things. Also, it was HOT AS FUCK on Saturday and Sunday, and crazy humid.

But in general, i have mostly positive things to say. Lots of really cool activities all around, like watching a crazy lady show off birds of prey and meeting a local home-brewer and beekeeper who was handing out samples at one of the booths. Lots of really good beer options, including tents for Lagunitas and Smuttynose all being sold for $6/pint for really high abv beers and $7 cocktails with local spirits as well. Getting to walk around anywhere with booze was great. The food options, other than the problems on Saturday, were really good as well. And the crowd was fantastic! There were some very stupid parents who had kids way to close to the music with no headphones and extremely bored kids sitting on the ground, but mostly everybody was really nice and into the music, and i talked and chatted with a lot of really cool people.

As for the performances (Unfortunately we missed a lot of stuff due to moving slowly in the morning, needing to take breaks for food/other activities, etc, but still totally got our $100 worth):

FRIDAY: White Denim was a lot of fun but got a bit too jammy. Watched most of the set and enjoyed it though. The Relatives sounded really good, 1970s gospel/soul, but they mostly were background music while we ate dinner.

Wilco's all-request set was AMAZING. Unfortunately we only heard "the Boys Are Back in Town" and 'Cut Your Hair" from a distance because we were stuck in a crazy beer line, but we ran up and got a great spot for the rest of the set. it was a really wild, varied set - and I wasn't expecting it to be an all covers set, but it turned out to be super fun. John Hodgman MC'd and popped on stage every 6 or 7 songs or so to pick "random" songs out of a bingo spinner and was completely hilarious. it seemed like the whole band learned and rehearsed a big chunk of the set, and then was a good chunk of traditional blues style/country/folk songs that Tweedy learned and plugged into the batch of random songs, so when those songs came up you could see the rest of the band looking to him to get into the groove. "Tom Courtenay was great, with yo La Tengo all coming up on stage to play with Wilco. Wilco playing "And your Bird Can Sing" for a second time because they were sloppy the first time was great. "Get lucky" was unexpected and totally fun. But really, the whole set was unforgettable.

And after that The Lovesong of Buckminster Fuller was a real treat. I wouldn't attempt to go to a show of this expecting a Yo la Tengo concert, though their score is super droney and awesome. But the film and presentation itself is very cool, and the sotry of this man is extremely fascinating. i loved it.

SATURDAY: Got there a bit late, walked around the museum for a while. Watched a lady doing a presentation on birds of prey and she had variety of live birds to show, including a Golden Eagle and different hawks and owls. Actually super interesting. The Dream Syndicate was really awesome. They were really tight and loud and rocked out really hard for 45 minutes in the blazing afternoon sun. We met one of the members the next day and he said they would be in L.A. later in the year - go see them!

Yo La Tengo had a great set, short with long songs. Low was a huge highlight of the weekend for me - i've been wanting to see them for a long time and they didn't disappoint. lots of stuff from the new album (which i like a lot), mixed with oldies, and they played my favorite song, "Murderer," so i was super happy.

We were pretty much toast for Neko Case and laid back in the grass after eating dinner for her set, but it sounded really nice.

The second Wilco set was of course, epic as fuck. We got very close and they just rocked so hard with such a great setlist.

SUNDAY: Sunday was pretty fucking rough. We were really wiped by this point from a lot of drinking, staying up late, and the heat. This was probably the hottest and muggiest day of the weeked, so were took it easy for the most part. We couldn't get into the theater to see Nels Cline and Juliane Lage, so we stayed in the shade and waited for The Autumn Defense, who played a really great set. They're a terrific live band.

One of the most anticipated sets of the weekend was getting to see Radiolab live. It was miserably hot directly out in the sun on concrete, but it was totally worth it for the truly captivating story and super cool musical accompaniment by On Fillmore.

Border Music with Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo was pretty cool. it was a nice relaxing set with a lot of old Mexican and Spanish ballads, but they did a couple instrumental tracks where really showed off their insane guitar chops. Os Mutantes was a lot of fun while lounging in the grass. Modeski Martin and Wood played a lot more fusion than i was expecting and a lot of the set sounded really jammy in a Phish kinda way. they played a few more straight up free jazz tracks were great though, and of Course Tweedy coming out to close out the festival was amazing.

All in all, totally something i would do again! i took a shitload of photos, but i expect it will take me a while to sort through them and get them all up. i'll do my best!
    last.fm

Great write up Drinkey! Ever since going year one I have wanted to return for many of the same reasons. Some day I will. I absolutely loved North Adams.

North Adams was really cool. The place we found on AirBnB was a very nice, spacious apartment that was a 10-minute from MassMOCA. There are some great bars and restaurants in town, and we had a lot of fun chatting and hanging out with some really cool townies before and after the fest. The drive there on 2W from Boston was insanely gorgeous too.
    last.fm

FINALLY GOT MY PICTURES UP! Here's the full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewm...7634400866678/

And a sampling:

Me with santasutt and buddy

White Denim

Yo La Tengo w/Wilco Night 1

Wilco w/the ladies of Lucius Night 1

Wilco Night 1

Dream Syndicate

Yo La Tengo

LOW

Neko Case from up on the hill

Wilco Night 2

The Autumn Defense

The Autumn Defense with Mark Mulcahy

Radio Lab

Os Mutantes

Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo

Low chillin in the audience

Relaxing during Modeski Martin & Wood
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 07-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    last.fm

Nice shots.

I saw the whole roll and you really captured the charm of the venue, Andrew.

Perspective is everything. Growing up in metro-Springfield, we always considered North Adams "the sticks."

Looking forward to next year.