Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid Sound Festival (Wilco Fest!)

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Solid Sound Festival (Wilco Fest!)

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/0...usic-festival/

If you’re like us, you were probably a bit mystified by the lack of festival appearances on Wilco’s upcoming calendar. No Coachella. No Bonnaroo. Not even a hometown slot at Lollapalooza. In fact, despite two months worth of upcoming tour dates in support of Wilco (The Album), Jeff Tweedy & co. only have three festival dates scheduled, all of which will take place on the other side of the Atlantic.

Well, we now know why. This summer, Wilco will join the likes of Perry Farrell, moe., and Stone Temple Pilots and become the latest musical act to turn into festival host. From August 13-15, the band will curate the inaugural Solid Sound Festival at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, Massachusetts.

The festival will feature two headlining performances by Wilco as well as performances by the band members’ side projects — The Autumn Defense, On Fillmore, The Nels Cline Singers, and Pronto — and “additional music by both Wilco and some of the band’s favorite artists.”

Plus, the festival will offer a “fully programmed comedy stage and many interactive installations and exhibits.” There will also be “an interactive guitar pedal exhibit with Wilco guitarist Nels Cline, a concert-poster silk screening demonstration, a drum, and percussion workshop by Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche, and workshops with guitar makers or try out the solid sound stompbox station.” Basically, a Wilco fan’s dream come true.

Tickets will go on sale online this Friday, April 9th at 10 a.m. via massmoca.org and at 11 a.m. in person at the MoCA Box Office.

Default Re: Solid Sound Festival (Wilco Fest!)

Where to get tickets and more information.

http://www.massmoca.org/event_details.php?id=553

Wilco Solid Sound Festival
    August 13 - 15, 2010
    Courtyard D
    April 9 - May 31, $78, June 1 - August 15, $91. NO MEMBER DISCOUNT.

With a vibrant roster of musical performances, sound sculpture, comedy, demonstrations and more curated by Chicago-based band Wilco, the Solid Sound Festival will unfold over three days at MASS MoCA's factory campus in the Berkshires on August 13-15, 2010. This festival will feature two headline performances by Wilco, plus individual performances by all the Wilco members' side projects including: Glenn Kotche's On Fillmore, The Nels Cline Singers, The Autumn Defense featuring John Stirratt and Pat Sansone and Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto. Festival is outdoors, rain or shine.

Solid Sound Festival at MASS MoCA begins on the evening of Friday, August 13, and runs through approximately 6 PM Sunday, August 15. Not exclusively a music event, the festival will offer a fully programmed comedy stage and many interactive installations and exhibits. Plus festival attendees will have full access to the MASS MoCA campus, including the galleries.

Festival goers will be able to participate in an interactive guitar pedal exhibit with Wilco guitarist Nels Cline, a concert-poster silk screening demonstration, a drum and percussion workshop by Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche, and workshops with guitar makers or try out the solid sound stompbox station. Film and video installations, and DJs will fill out the events.

Art on display during the festival will include the Sol LeWitt Retrospective (chosen #1 exhibition of the year by Time magazine); Inigo Manglano Ovalle's Gravity is a Force to be Reckoned with; a major exhibition of work by Petah Coyne; Material World: Sculpture to Environment, a group exhibition; Leonard Nimoy's Secret Selves; and a new installation by Michael Oatman.

Tickets for will go on sale online on Friday, April 9 at 10 AM through www.massmoca.org or at 11 AM in person at the MASS MoCA Box Office Tickets are general admission. THE FESTIVAL IS OUTDOORS RAIN OR SHINE.

keep posting as new info comes out, fax. I might go to this. depends on what other bands they can wrangle.

I will do that Drew. I don't expect many other bands but then again, it would be pretty fucking great if we got some Feist, Grizzly Bear and Calexico whom have had a relationship with the band.

I don't have much to report other than i'm actively looking into this more. I'm starting to consider camping because it just looks beautiful and there are camp grounds IN North Adams which by the way is the SMALLEST city in the entire state. The flight and rental car are gonna be costly but I will make this happen. It's going to be tough considering it's a week after Lolla and i'll be in school by then.

Some more band speculation.

RE: Acts: I'd say that there's a good chance that Grace Potter & The Nocturnals play this. Since they were sitting in the row in front of me last night in Concord, NH and presumably heading backstage after the show.

I'm hoping this turns into something of a far musically superior Camp Bisco. The host band is the main event, but it's a legitimate festival with a lineup of other acts. it would take very little on top of the wilco sets to get me there. also, I've been to this museum and the area is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    I'm hoping this turns into something of a far musically superior Camp Bisco. The host band is the main event, but it's a legitimate festival with a lineup of other acts. it would take very little on top of the wilco sets to get me there. also, I've been to this museum and the area is amazing.
    I was looking at pictures of the museum and it's huge and beautiful and someone on the Wilco board made a good point today.

I think one of the most interesting things about this project is that it gives each band member a venue to showcase their side projects before an appreciative audience. Jeff Tweedy has been accused of being manipulative, opportunistic and heartless in his treatment of former bandmates, but this is a credit to being a band with a capital B.
    It's also pretty awesome that festival attendees get full access to the entire campus during the weekend.

There is also a Billboard article out.

Wilco Planning Three Day Festival in Massachusetts

Chicago rock act Wilco is getting into the festival game this summer, curating its own Solid Sound Festival weekend in North Adams, Mass. Set for the weekend of August 13 - 15, Wilco has teamed with the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art andand among the acts to appear alongside Wilco are drummer Glenn Kotche's side-project, On Fillmore; bassist John Stirratt's band the Autumn Defense; guitarist Nels Cline's Nels Cline Singers; and multi-instrumentalist Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto.

Details are still being ironed out, but the band will tentatively perform a headlining show on Saturday, August 14, as well as play in some capacity on Sunday, August 15. Other musical acts will also be invited.

Tickets go on sale Friday, April 9 with three day passes set at $86.50, which includes all fees and parking as well as admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art for the entire weekend. The price goes up on June 1 to $99.50. No individual day passes will be sold.

The festival will take place on the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art's campus, whose main facility is a 19th Century textile mill building and will feature both indoor and outdoor stages.

Along with musical performances, the festival site will include a comedy stage, interactive installations, films, DJs and concert poster screening demonstrations. Of note is an installation by Cline called the "Solid Stomp Soundbox Station," which will be an interactive guitar pedal experience for fans to test out.

Wilco certainly isn't the first band to create a festival under their own guise, but hope to separate themselves from the pack by offering many options besides just going from stage to stage. "The whole thing is designed to be multi-faceted, with the art being as much a part of it," Wilco spokesperson Deb Bernardini tells Billboard.com. "The idea was to do something a little bit different, where being in the space would be a part of the whole event."

This is part of what's shaping up to be a busy 2010 for Wilco. After briefly starting to record the follow up to 2009's "Wilco (The Album)," the band is currently wrapping up a North American tour. From there, they head to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, before returning to Europe for the last 11 days in May. The second half 2010 will be spent recording, with the Solid Sound Festival and Jazz Aspen in Snowmass, Colorado being the band's only currently scheduled North American dates.

I'm looking into camping here.

http://northadams-ma.gov/index.php?nav_id=75

thanks for the heads up on the camp site.. this is gonna be pretty amazing.
    i love the idea of a "fully programmed comedy stage" curated by wilco.
    05,06,07,08,09,10,11, 12 #1, 13 #1

Ticket purchased!

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are looking more likely. She will be in the area touring around that time.

I just booked 3 nights camping here. It's 3 miles from the venue. Total cost for three nights was $51 and you can reserve on line.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/clsp.htm

For folks flying in, look into Bradley Airport in Hartford, CT.

<-- Used to live in MA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Albany NY appears to be the closest airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Albany NY appears to be the closest airport.
    It also appears to be well over $400 for a RT ticket but I will be there either way. I have my camping reserved at Windsor Lake

http://www.northadams-ma.gov/index.php?nav_id=75

which is only a mile or so form the venue depending on which trail you take. I'm just waiting for airfare to drop.

I can't wait to see what other bands they invite. I'm not expecting much a few surprises will be nice.

This is intriguing. I would very much like to see the full lineup.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I wonder if a Phil Selway appearance is possible?

Some hopes and dreams from the Wilco board include.

Levon Helm
    Arlo Guthrie
    Minus 5
    Andrew Bird
    Yo La Tengo
    Crowded House

We'll see what develops. Wilco doing 2 full sets and their side projects, comedy and watching Nels put on clinics is enough for me.

The Minus 5 does seem like a logical choice.

Oh man, I love Mass MoCA. I want to hide in one of their office closets and never leave.

And yeah, Albany is closer than Bradley.

It may be a while before more bands are announced. Mass MoCA posted this on facebook.

MASS MoCA The line up for Solid Sound will be announced later in the season and it will absolutely include bands that are not Wilco or Wilco side projects.

The rest of the summer season is jam packed with great music too including Carolina Chocolate Drops, Richie Havens, and more!

There is a FAQ up now and an update on some of the art that will be on exhibit during the festival.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/info/f-a-q

Art on display in the galleries during the festival includes the Sol LeWitt Retrospective (chosen #1 exhibition of the year by Time magazine); Inigo Manglano Ovalleʼs Gravity is a Force to be Reckoned with; a major exhibition of work by Petah Coyne; Material World: Sculpture to Environment; Leonard Nimoyʼs Secret Selves; and a new installation by Michael Oatman.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Oh man, I love Mass MoCA. I want to hide in one of their office closets and never leave.

And yeah, Albany is closer than Bradley.
    Yeah but Bradley is a bigger airport with probably more choices.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Currently Bradley is $100 cheaper to fly into. Hmm. Is that airport about a 2 hour drive?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Currently Bradley is $100 cheaper to fly into. Hmm. Is that airport about a 2 hour drive?
    Only $100 ? I thought it would be considerably more.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Only $100 ? I thought it would be considerably more.
    I had checked it a week ago and it was the same so I was happy it was much cheaper lol. I plan on holding off another month or so before purchasing airfare but i'm keeping all options open.

US Air used to have nonstops PHX-BDL, which would have made the longer drive worthwhile. But apparently they have discontinued them. So it's either change planes, or do the three hour drive from BOS.

Do you think there is any chance Neil Young might play this?

Yay, Faxy!!! Glad you're going to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    Do you think there is any chance Neil Young might play this?
    I don't think anyone has a clue who is going to play this. I'm expecting very little but hopefully there are some nice surprises.

Pixie, I felt obligated lol.