Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Partial Sahara at Coachella This Year!

Default A Partial Sahara at Coachella This Year!

I've put this theory out there, now I'm curious if anyone else is feeling me on it. It just seems like there is a total lack of DJs in the lineup this year, across the board. I mean, each day you could count the number of proper DJs on one hand. (Friday - Felix, Benny Benassi, David Guetta, Shadow; Saturday - Heather; Sunday - Hawtin, VanDyk) There is a substantial amount of live dance acts this year (Infected Mushroom, LCD, the Rapture, !!!, Peaches, Hot Chip, Ratatat, etc) which to me would seem better placed in the Gobi Tent... and, Tiesto is playing the main stage.

Either there are going to be some major additions to the Sahara Lineup in the near future...or, are they maybe going to only have the Sahara open at night?

Thoughts?

Default Re: A Partial Sahara at Coachella This Year!

MSTRKRFT
    Morrissey needs to be shot. He is bad for your soul.

Justice

Soulwax Nite Versions

Faithless

Evil Nine

Friday: Faithless, DJ Shadow, Felix da Housecat, Digitalism, Benny Benassi, David Guetta, Evil Nine
    Saturday: MSTRKRFT, Justice, Girl Talk, Mike Relm, DJ Heather
    Sunday: Paul Van Dyk, Richie Hawtin, Soulwax Nite Versions, Infected Mushroom, VNV Nation

Friday looks full for the Sahara. Saturday, though they're not completely electronic, we could definitely see The Gotan Project in the Sahara, but I think there will be one more name added that day. Sunday, there are a couple of possibilities of groups playing the Sahara Tent, most notably the Happy Mondays and Ratatat. I doubt LCD Soundsystem, !!! or The Rapture will play Sahara, as they've all played Coachella before and were not in there.
    Other groups that could possibly end up in the Sahara, if needed: Peaches, Junior Boys, Hot Chip, Kokono No. 1, Cornelius and Spank Rock.

Faithless is a live act. MSTRKRFT is playing live on their current tour with Digweed. Infected Mushroom is live. Girl Talk is live I believe.

There just seems to be a lack of DJs - it seems to be alot of dance-rock type live acts.

Maybe their saving room for an 8 hour set from Danny Tenaglia?

And to add, I realize the Infected Mushroom is not dance-rock, but rather goa trance. But I digress...

Girl Talk is a DJ, I've seen him before. You're right about Faithless being a live act, I'm not sure about MSTRKRFT or Infected Mushroom. I've only heard them on record, I guess I just assumed they were DJs because of their sound.

MSTRKRFT

Hawtin

regardless of whether they are djs or live acts, most of these will be performing in the sahara

and there's no reason to add as many dj's as in past years, b/c there really isn't anything new or innovative going on in the dj world right now. most of the innovation in electronic music today is in the "live" acts.

this doesn't mean that in future coachella dj's won't be featured prominently again. i guess it's cyclical.

vinylmartyr

Maybe their saving room for an 8 hour set from Danny Tenaglia?
    Danny Tenaglia hates playing in California I read.

that explains why he rarely plays in cali

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    and there's no reason to add as many dj's as in past years, b/c there really isn't anything new or innovative going on in the dj world right now. most of the innovation in electronic music today is in the "live" acts.

this doesn't mean that in future coachella dj's won't be featured prominently again. i guess it's cyclical.
    Point taken, but there are some great DJs out there who have been and are innovating:

Ricardo Villalobos
    Magda
    Desyn Masiello
    James Zabiela
    Lee Burridge
    Jeff Mills
    Dave Clarke

Just a few examples...

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    Danny Tenaglia hates playing in California I read.
    He really hardly plays anywhere in the States besides NYC.

Miami for the Conference, and SanFran recently, but that's about it.

Usually it's a money thing (he demands serious dollars) and the he requires at least 4 or 6 some-odd hours to play.

One can dream...I just don't see the Sahara being a seamless blend of dancing all day and night like in year's past.

Quote Originally Posted by Keo345 View Post
    Point taken, but there are some great DJs out there who have been and are innovating:

Ricardo Villalobos
    Magda
    Desyn Masiello
    James Zabiela
    Lee Burridge
    Jeff Mills
    Dave Clarke

Just a few examples...
    I agree but I think the problem is even though a lot of these DJ's might be blowing up overseas or in other places around the world, rarely are any of them heard here in the US. They could announce the greatest lineup of up and coming DJs like are in your list but most would see it, scratch their heads and say "who the fuck is that?" I would love to have Desyn or Dave Clarke play, but unfortunately hardly anyone knows the names. John Askew in my opinion would blow Tiesto away, but probably only a handful of people have actually heard of him. Other names I'd like to nominate are Steve Lawler, Ame, Booka Shade, Trentemoller, Chris Liebing, Adam Beyer, Cassius, Switch, Pascal FEOS, DJ Hell, Nick Fanciulli, etc. It just seems that when it comes to booking DJs, in general Goldenvoice likes to stick to the usual cast of characters; Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Oakenfold, because they are names everyone knows and sells tickets. I guess that's just the way it is...

Quote Originally Posted by New_Paradigm View Post
    I agree but I think the problem is even though a lot of these DJ's might be blowing up overseas or in other places around the world, rarely are any of them heard here in the US. They could announce the greatest lineup of up and coming DJs like are in your list but most would see it, scratch their heads and say "who the fuck is that?" I would love to have Desyn or Dave Clarke play, but unfortunately hardly anyone knows the names. John Askew in my opinion would blow Tiesto away, but probably only a handful of people have actually heard of him. Other names I'd like to nominate are Steve Lawler, Ame, Booka Shade, Trentemoller, Chris Liebing, Adam Beyer, Cassius, Switch, Pascal FEOS, DJ Hell, Nick Fanciulli, etc. It just seems that when it comes to booking DJs, in general Goldenvoice likes to stick to the usual cast of characters; Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Oakenfold, because they are names everyone knows and sells tickets. I guess that's just the way it is...
    Yeah, but there have been some pretty stellar DJ lineups in the past...in '04 they had Danny Howells, Sander Kleinenberg, and Laurent Garnier back to back, all before Kraftwerk...then in '03 they had Timo Maas, Deep Dish, Underworld and Richie Hawtin...those are killer lineups, albeit somewhat commercial. I always respected Coachella because the quality of their lineups superceded any name recognition the artists might have, in both the electronic and rock arenas.

Great selections btw - Booka Shade, Hell, FEOS, Beyer, etc...

Yeah 2 years ago (I believe) they did get Tiga which I was pretty surprised about...

ya, the DJ lineup in 2004 was incredibly stacked......

Adam Freeland
    2 Many DJs
    Crystal Method
    Mark Farina
    Danny Howells
    Seb Fontaine
    Sander Kleinenberg
    Laurent Garnier

plus Air, Basement Jaxx and Kraftwerk

wow, that was pretty much a perfect lineup

i think mstrkrft will play records for their set, including some of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Keo345 View Post
    I've put this theory out there, now I'm curious if anyone else is feeling me on it. It just seems like there is a total lack of DJs in the lineup this year, across the board. I mean, each day you could count the number of proper DJs on one hand. (Friday - Felix, Benny Benassi, David Guetta, Shadow; Saturday - Heather; Sunday - Hawtin, VanDyk) There is a substantial amount of live dance acts this year (Infected Mushroom, LCD, the Rapture, !!!, Peaches, Hot Chip, Ratatat, etc) which to me would seem better placed in the Gobi Tent... and, Tiesto is playing the main stage.

Either there are going to be some major additions to the Sahara Lineup in the near future...or, are they maybe going to only have the Sahara open at night?

Thoughts?
    Yes Joe - I have no idea. Please find out who's playing on Saturday night. And I'll see you in the tent. Hopefully.

Coachella Junkie

Ferry Corsten would be a nice DJ act to close out one of the nights.

Booka Shade, Lindstrom, Green Velvet, Erol Alkan, Switch and Underworld would all be great additions...next year perhaps!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Ferry Corsten would be a nice DJ act to close out one of the nights.
    no. he'd be fine at like 6 pm.

Lurker

Newbie question: So if I get you right, you're saying, that every tent has its own music style assigned to it? Is it true? Can you describe all tents and stages then? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ko4ka View Post
    Newbie question: So if I get you right, you're saying, that every tent has its own music style assigned to it? Is it true? Can you describe all tents and stages then? Thanks!
    No, just the Sahara. The other two tents and two stages can host just about anyone.

JUstice, felix and mrkraft are gonna be awsome , i hope they bring more of the head banger crew with them , Uffie would great .