Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops at Coachella

Default Re: Cops at Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by brematale111 View Post
    I remember back in 2008 on sunday probably about an hour before MMJ there were these two dirty dirty old guys by the mainstage yelling out "acid! ecstasy! mushrooms! Who needs em?! acid! extasy! mushrooms!"

it seemed pretty obvious these guys were narcs. Nobody sells out in the open like that, right?

I saw one guy actually go up to them and inquire about their goods. Didn't stick around long enough to find out what happened to him though.
    That's considered entrapment.

^Please tell me you are joking.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    ^Please tell me you are joking.
    What do you mean? They can't arrest you for the crime of wanting drugs. If you're buying, you probably don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    What do you mean? They can't arrest you for the crime of wanting drugs. If you're buying, you probably don't have any.
    Kind of like how they can't arrest you if you accept an undercover cop's offer of prostitution, right?
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    Kind of like how they can't arrest you if you accept an undercover cop's offer of prostitution, right?
    Totally different. The pussy is present in said transaction, and the undercover officer doesn't actually solicit the customer, the customer solicits the officer. Police can't offer to sell you drugs because they can't have the drugs to begin with. It'd be arresting you for a thought crime.

A cop can not try to sell you drugs and arrest you for it, thats entrapment. If someone is asking you for drugs, and you sell to them, then you can be arrested.

However, a cop can bust a drug dealer, tell him to go sell drugs, and set up a bunch of people in a sting. I really doubt this happens at festivals though, this is more for setting up known associates.

Look guys, the cops at Chella don't care about weed unless you have more than an ounce (wtf are you doing?). They want to bust the people that bring in sheets of acid or ounces of molly. Honestly if your just trying to have a good time you will be fine, if your planning on making a quick score by pushing pills at Coachella, you may run into some legal issues.
    Last edited by grannock; 02-16-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    A cop can not try to sell you drugs and arrest you for it, thats entrapment. If someone is asking you for drugs, and you sell to them, then you can be arrested.

However, a cop can bust a drug dealer, tell him to go sell drugs, and set up a bunch of people in a sting. I really doubt this happens at festivals though, this is more for setting up known associates.
    WRONG WRONG WRONG

yes they can and no that's not entrapment. entrapment is inducing you to do something you wouldn't have done in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    Perry lives beneath the polo grounds. A ritual must be performed for his awakening but only after a band/dj/performance art cancellation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    Perhaps an appropriate conversation starter would have been: "pardon me sir, would you mind taking your finger out of your girlfriends asshole? We're trying to enjoy LCD Soundsystem."

Quote Originally Posted by BeeII View Post
    WRONG WRONG WRONG

yes they can and no that's not entrapment. entrapment is inducing you to do something you wouldn't have done in the first place.
    The scenario is still missing the actual drugs. They can't try and sell you drugs that don't exist.

old school

entrapment is inducing you to do something you wouldn't have done in the first place.
    Correct.
    If the undercover officer said "Gimme your drugs or I'm going to beat the shit out of you".
    Or they coerced you to accept marked $$$ somehow knowing that you had drugs on you but you didn't give or sell to them. "Hey heres a $20 go get me a slice of pizza & soda & you can keep the change."
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    The scenario is still missing the actual drugs. They can't try and sell you drugs that don't exist.
    This is completely false. Whether a cop has a bag of real coke or fake, or none at all, if you are willing to commit a crime (i.e. purchase), you can be arrested and you likely wouldn't be successful in using entrapment as a defense. Entrapment only involves some element of inducement to get you to commit a crime that you had no intention of committing. For example, if a cop persisted to sell to you and used duress or other means to get you to buy (almost virtually against your will), entrapment could be a valid defense. But if a cop says "Heroin here" and you said "I'm game, how much?" you could be arrested on the spot. Irrespective of even cash changing hands.

Case and point:

Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS 13-206):

B. A person who asserts an entrapment defense has the burden of proving the following by clear and convincing evidence:

1. The idea of committing the offense started with law enforcement officers or their agents rather than with the person.

2. The law enforcement officers or their agents urged and induced the person to commit the offense.

3. The person was not predisposed to commit the type of offense charged before the law enforcement officers or their agents urged and induced the person to commit the offense.

C. A person does not establish entrapment if the person was predisposed to commit the offense and the law enforcement officers or their agents merely provided the person with an opportunity to commit the offense. It is not entrapment for law enforcement officers or their agents merely to use a ruse [trick] or to conceal their identity. The conduct of law enforcement officers and their agents may be considered in determining if a person has proven entrapment.
    While the above is Arizona law, trust me, it's generally the same around the country.

Cops usually will want a transaction to take place as it is more compelling evidence for the prosecution to present in court. If you gave cash, it would show greater intent. But there does not need to be a valid transaction involving real dope.

And in addition, cops are allowed to carry real substances on them for purposes of conducting undercover/sting operations.
    Last edited by insbordnat; 02-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomboclat View Post
    Ya, watch out for BROKENDOLL.
    For three days each year, I throw caution to the wind, toss my inhibitions aside, and literally forget about treating my body like some temple...Please don' kill my buzz by making me paranoid!

Quote Originally Posted by JC2011 View Post
    Yea, for some reason I have a pretty good memory from my party days. That evening in particular was a very unique experience, and one you just don't forget.
    After re-reading that, I was taken back to a sordid part of my past...And, you're right...Doesn't matter how fucked up you were at the time, nobody forgets dealing with the law firsthand when you're buzzed... Unfortunately, I'm beginning to find that the part of my past I'm referring to, may very well be the culprit to my memory loss now.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjerm23 View Post
    I can and do remember lots of my trips on shrooms...and I am sure that if his story is true and it happened to me I would remember a ton of those details as well. Don't make a comment on the quality of my shrooms either...I've done the best here and I've done them in Amsterdam when they were legal. In the Smart Shops they would even detail which shrooms were the strongest and which weren't. Maybe you wouldn't remember details if you're eating a half an ounce...but seriously an event like this would be pretty memorable no matter how much you had.
    Agree with this post and the one directly above me. I took an eighth for a meteor shower walking down my street when a cop just pulls up apparently on the lookout for someone that was trying to steal someone's car with a trailer on my street. I was tripping too much to notice or really remember what I heard going on at my neighbor's house when it was happening I guess. But I can tell you what I do remember, every word I said to that cop and realizing how fucking lucky I am the guy didn't take a closer look at my pupils, I almost jogged back home and hid in my room when he drove down my street, a little more worried about some attempted grand theft auto than some crazy kid on the street for once.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    So you paid $100 to be back stage? Sweet.
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAH
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

WRONG WRONG WRONG

nitpick: it's offering sufficient inducement that a reasonable person would have been induced.

This is completely false. Whether a cop has a bag of real coke or fake, or none at all, if you are willing to commit a crime (i.e. purchase), you can be arrested and you likely wouldn't be successful in using entrapment as a defense. Entrapment only involves some element of inducement to get you to commit a crime that you had no intention of committing. For example, if a cop persisted to sell to you and used duress or other means to get you to buy (almost virtually against your will), entrapment could be a valid defense. But if a cop says "Heroin here" and you said "I'm game, how much?" you could be arrested on the spot. Irrespective of even cash changing hands.

Case and point:

While the above is Arizona law, trust me, it's generally the same around the country.

Cops usually will want a transaction to take place as it is more compelling evidence for the prosecution to present in court. If you gave cash, it would show greater intent. But there does not need to be a valid transaction involving real dope.

And in addition, cops are allowed to carry real substances on them for purposes of conducting undercover/sting operations.
    This is California, so what matters is the california definition:

(from the California Jury Instructions)

3408. Entrapment

Entrapment is a defense. The defendant has the burden of proving this defense by a preponderance of the evidence. This is a different standard from proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To meet this burden, the defendant must prove that it is more likely than not that (he/she) was entrapped.

A person is entrapped if a law enforcement officer [or (his/her) agent] engaged in conduct that would cause a normally law-abiding person to commit the crime.

Some examples of entrapment might include conduct like badgering, persuasion by flattery or coaxing, repeated and insistent requests, or an appeal to friendship or sympathy.

Another example of entrapment would be conduct that would make commission of the crime unusually attractive to a normally law-abiding person. Such conduct might include a guarantee that the act is not illegal or that the offense would go undetected, an offer of extraordinary benefit, or other similar conduct.

If an officer [or (his/her) agent] simply gave the defendant an opportunity to commit the crime or merely tried to gain the defendant's confidence through reasonable and restrained steps, that conduct is not entrapment.

In evaluating this defense, you should focus primarily on the conduct of the officer. However, in deciding whether the officer's conduct was likely to cause a normally law-abiding person to commit this crime, also consider other relevant circumstances, including events that happened before the crime, the defendant's responses to the officer's urging, the seriousness of the crime, and how difficult it would have been for law enforcement officers to discover that the crime had been committed.

When deciding whether the defendant was entrapped, consider what a normally law-abiding person would have done in this situation. Do not consider the defendant's particular intentions or character, or whether the defendant had a predisposition to commit the crime.

^While California doesn't recognize the term "entrapment" as a defense in the federal sense, the idea is the same. It is a inducement to commit a crime.

^While California doesn't recognize the term "entrapment" as a defense in the federal sense, the idea is the same. It is a inducement to commit a crime.
    Yeah, the rules are different than the federal rules, but ... I just posted the jury instructions for entrapment. It's quite clearly recognized as a defense.

I was on a jury in California where entrapment was used as a successful defense. The defendant had caused a rukus in a club after claiming he lost his wallet on the dance floor. The bouncers 86'd him from the club and he, being admittedly drunk and belligerent, kept insisting on getting back inside to find his wallet. Cops were called, and at one point, according to the defendant, an officer ordered him to get into his car and leave. When the defendant drove out of the parking lot, another cop in a car parked across the street from the club pulled him over and arrested him for DUI. Our instructions were as aphael stated. The key was whether the officer had actually ordered him to get into his car and leave. The officer claimed he couldn't remember exactly what he had told the defendant, and that was enough of a "preponderance of the evidence" to prove entrapment. It doesn't have to be beyond a reasonable doubt, and that was key too.

In the hypothetical case of a drug sale, entrapment would likely depend on the extent to which the cop influenced the defendant to commit the crime. I would guess that just selling drugs is not enough of an inducement for an otherwise law-abiding citizen to commit a crime. There would have to be some form of coercion or deceit on the part of the officer. For example if the officer claimed that what he was selling was not an illegal substance, to the extent that a reasonable person would have believed it, and then arrested the defendant for buying it, that could be a case of entrapment. An undercover simply selling known illegal drugs to someone does not in of itself constitute entrapment, in my experience.

Cops were called, and at one point, according to the defendant, an officer ordered him to get into his car and leave. When the defendant drove out of the parking lot, another cop in a car parked across the street from the club pulled him over and arrested him for DUI.
    If the defendant is telling the truth, that's clearly entrapment.

Which means: had the policeman lied and said he remembered not telling the defendant to get in his car and leave, then the jury would have been left weighing whether it believed the belligerent drunk guy or the cop. That's really going to vary from community to community.

I would guess that just selling drugs is not enough of an inducement for an otherwise law-abiding citizen to commit a crime.
    Yeah. Maybe in Santa Cruz or San Francisco you could sell that to a jury - or, at least, you'd at least have a chance of drawing one juror who would buy it and hang the jury - but in Indio that seems unlikely.

Contrary to a few stories here on the board I actually had a pleasant experience with the police at the campgrounds last year. A few buddies and myself were smoking in the campground and two cops on bikes, full uniforms, rolled up to us. To make a long story short they basically said that some people a few tents down complained about the smell and they had to come over to us just to look like they were doing something. They didn't take anything away or tell us to stop. In fact, as they were leaving, one of the cops yelled 'smoke that shit up!'. I think it was the first morning of the festival last year too. Great way to start the weekend haha

So, while there are some undercover dicks going around busting people, I think it's few and far between. My experience with them was great, they were nice guys and had no intention of busting anyone.

people complained? did you find out who they were and shit in their tent? i would have.

Quote Originally Posted by jpitts View Post
    Contrary to a few stories here on the board I actually had a pleasant experience with the police at the campgrounds last year. A few buddies and myself were smoking in the campground and two cops on bikes, full uniforms, rolled up to us. To make a long story short they basically said that some people a few tents down complained about the smell and they had to come over to us just to look like they were doing something. They didn't take anything away or tell us to stop. In fact, as they were leaving, one of the cops yelled 'smoke that shit up!'. I think it was the first morning of the festival last year too. Great way to start the weekend haha

So, while there are some undercover dicks going around busting people, I think it's few and far between. My experience with them was great, they were nice guys and had no intention of busting anyone.
    I think this is more or less policy. Possession of under an ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor and a court appearance/fine. These cops would spend a month in court dealing with all of them and 50% of them would be dismissed because of medical recommendations, or reduced to a menial fine. One distribution bust nets them so much more and nips more of their problems in the bud.

Actually, possession of under an ounce is no longer a misdemeanor in CA. It's only a ticket and fine now.

HIDE THE DRUGS IN YOUR GLOVE DEPARTMENT IF YOU CAN LOCK IT. KEEP IT LOCKED WHEN YOU ARRIVE, IF THE VEHICLE IS SEARCHED AND THEY ATTEMPT TO GET INTO THE LOCKED GLOVE DEPARTMENT SAY YOU HAVE LOST THE KEYS THEY THAT OPENS IT, AND YOU WILL ALSO BE NEEDING A SEARCH WARRANT TO OPEN IT.

???

HEY BUD, TONE IT DOWN A BIT, WE CAN ALL READ JUST FINE.

!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FearAndLoathing View Post
    HIDE THE DRUGS IN YOUR GLOVE DEPARTMENT IF YOU CAN LOCK IT. KEEP IT LOCKED WHEN YOU ARRIVE, IF THE VEHICLE IS SEARCHED AND THEY ATTEMPT TO GET INTO THE LOCKED GLOVE DEPARTMENT SAY YOU HAVE LOST THE KEYS THEY THAT OPENS IT, AND YOU WILL ALSO BE NEEDING A SEARCH WARRANT TO OPEN IT.

???
    yes, because the key that was just in the ignition doesn't open the glove compartment, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FearAndLoathing View Post

???
    that'll work for cops, but coachella can decide that they won't let you in unless you let them search your locked glove box, FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    Perry lives beneath the polo grounds. A ritual must be performed for his awakening but only after a band/dj/performance art cancellation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    Perhaps an appropriate conversation starter would have been: "pardon me sir, would you mind taking your finger out of your girlfriends asshole? We're trying to enjoy LCD Soundsystem."

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    yes, because the key that was just in the ignition doesn't open the glove compartment, right?
    Sure those keys will work on the glove compartment, but you're shit out of luck trying to get into that glove department.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Yeah as far as marijuana goes being that it's decriminalized now and just a $100 fine for having under an ounce I'm sure the cops will be pretty lax until harder drugs come into question.

They could still easily deny you entrance to the festival grounds if they find you with a substantial amount of bud on you. Even though state laws say it's no biggie, the Coachella staff still has their own set of rules so you must either oblige, or get craftier.

Though to be honest, if you're not a fucking drongo, you should be fine.
    (so sadly most of you are fucked, it seems).