Page 6 of 125 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2011: Rumors, Headliners, rumored Confirmations

Default Re: Coachella 2011: Rumors, Headliners, Confirmations

These are my guarantees.

Daft Punk
    Chem Bros. (live)
    Klaxons
    Midnight Vultures

My soul yearns for Bowie, but every year it seems less and less likely.
    Years Attended:

In no particular order:

Daft Punk
    Soundgarden
    Deftones
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Roni Size
    Air
    Groove Armada
    Mystikal w/ The Neptunes and N.E.R.D. (I know...but wouldn't it be sick!)
    Zero 7
    The Knife
    OutKast
    Sonic Youth

it would seem inevitable that daft punk is playing next year. they are in action obviously with tron, and everyone on the coachella team HAS to KNOW daft punk is what fucking everyone and their mother wants to be there. i think if daft punk is willing , they could find the money to make it happen. Book them today and start planning their new Main Stage set up to outdo their old pyramid and deadmau5s new visual dynamo.

From all the negative feedback about everyone and their mother being there this year, I'm not so sure GV would want that again. Maybe go back to single day tickets with working scanners? Daft Punk would sell out and maybe the rest of the days could chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    From all the negative feedback about everyone and their mother being there this year, I'm not so sure GV would want that again. Maybe go back to single day tickets with working scanners? Daft Punk would sell out and maybe the rest of the days could chill out.
    Yep I'm sure the suits at AEG rolling in dough are super concerned about "negative feedback" that never even crossed over from this board to the LA Times

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Yep I'm sure the suits at AEG rolling in dough are super concerned about "negative feedback" that never even crossed over from this board to the LA Times
    BUT I am pretty sure that those same suits would be seething when they find out how many people got in for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Doubtful. They made a boatload and nobody died. I suppose LA Weekly wrote something snarky but no one pays attention to that rag

Actually, I just read a kinda shitty review in the Wall Street Journal.

By JIM FUSILLI
    Indio, Calif.

In previous years, the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, held here this past weekend, set a high bar for rock's subsequent annual summer events. Not this time around.

The festival lost several acts because of the volcano-related air-travel restrictions in Europe. And it featured the return from artistic oblivion of onetime rock and funk innovator Sly Stone in one of the most embarrassing debacles in recent music history.

Rather than offering tickets for individual dates, as it did previously, the festival this year sold only three-day passes at $269. This relieved the promoters from having to deliver killer headliners for each night. Saturday, the main-stage bill-topper was Tiλsto, a DJ better suited to the popular dance tent; Alison Mosshart and Jack White's new band, the Dead Weather, was on another large stage. A reunited Devo played one of the tents. A nice mix, but it wasn't Coachella 2008, when Prince, Portishead and Roger Waters went on after dark. Last year, Paul McCartney, Morrissey and Leonard Cohen performed on Friday night.

Seventy-five thousand passes were sold to this year's event, and at times it felt like 75,000 people were packed into a space within 100 yards of the outdoor stages. On Friday and Saturday nights, the pitch felt dangerously overcrowded in places. And while reuniting relative old-timers like Faith No More, Pavement, Public Image Limited and the Specials were booked to play the main stage throughout the weekend, new, popular bands, including Florence and the Machine, Gossip, Grizzly Bear and Yeasayer, were presented in tents that couldn't contain their fans in attendance. The sound outside those venues was unacceptable.

What saves or damns any festival is the depth of performing talent. Though Jay-Z, Friday night's headliner, brought ample star power, Coachella's most satisfying moments came from artists early in their prime. Already a fine, adventurous band, Portugal. The Man has upped its game through tighter musical and vocal arrangements it flashed on tunes from its new album, "American Ghetto." Steven Wilson's Porcupine Tree seemed an odd choice for an early-afternoon set on Saturday: prog-rock under a blazing sun? But clouds appeared, the sky darkened and Mr. Wilson's band attacked his compositions with ferocity. The singer-songwriter Frank Turner made the most of a Saturday noontime slot. His fans sang along with glee to "Photosynthesis" from his 2009 album "Love Ire & Song": "And I won't sit down / And I won't shut up / And most of all I will not grow up."

Coachella isn't known for Americana music, but on Saturday the Old Crow Medicine Show, fortified by Benmont Tench of Tom Petty's band, played bluegrass and folk that prodded the audience into some of the sloppiest and most joyful country dancing the Nashville-based band is likely to have witnessed. On Friday, Deer Tick played loose-limbed alt-country in a set it introduced as "Welcome to Deer Tick Bizarro World," perhaps because singer John McCauley was silly in a sundress and green straw hat.

Now and then, the festival offered bands on the same stage that seemed to complement each other. Hot Chip, working its straight-ahead blend of bubbly dance music and singer-songwriter introspection, was followed by festival favorite MGMT, which showcased its zig-zagging new album, "Congratulations." Hours after Owen Pallett ended his dazzling set of chamber pop, Jσnsi of Sigur Ros took the same stage to perform music from his new, wonderful "Go," which, along with Mr. Pallett's "Heartland," is an early contender for album of the year.

Thom Yorke's Atoms for Peace project has grown into a groove machine with Flea on bass and Joey Waronker and Mauro Refosco on percussion. Sunday, following Mr. Stone's failure to appear for his 7 p.m. show, Atoms for Peace reworked Mr. Yorke's largely electronic album "The Eraser" by rebuilding it with rock instrumentation. As a treat, Mr. Yorke played a solo set that included a gorgeous reading of "Airbag," which he recorded with Radiohead.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a musician who's come as far from down as Gil Scott-Heron, who served time in prison for drug possession. But on Friday, gray hair and beard circling his face, the lanky 61-year-old stepped to the microphone, smiled and said, "Those of you who bet I would not be here, you lose." Then he sat behind a Fender Rhodes and with a three-piece band played his blend of jazz and poetry with flashes of his old power.

As for Mr. Stone, the 67-year-old finally turned up on stage nearly four hours after his allotted time, which can be attributed either to an exaggerated sense of his current status in the rock world or an aftermath of reported drug abuse in decades past. Wearing a policeman's uniform and what appeared to be a woman's silver wig, he lay down on the stage and mumbled a bit, then struggled at the electric piano through abbreviated and disjointed versions of some of his classics as his band, featuring three original members of the Family Stone, looked on uncomfortably. Finally, he was led away.

For anyone who remembers Sly and the Family Stone in its glory days in the '60s and early '70s, or believes in human dignity, the debacle was a heartbreaking way to end a weekend that was less than excellent but had wonderful moments.

—Mr. Fusilli is the Journal's rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 04-24-2010 at 02:49 AM.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Nice catch. WSJ bro is right on that the biggest problem were the newer buzzy bands that should have been at main/mojave instead outdoor/gobi

Not just with the smaller/newer bands but with the subs too. I felt that from the beginning Pavement shoud've been on the Outdoor with Thom on the main. Looking at the cluster that caused now, Paul should've thought differently.

Yeah. Spoon and Phoenix should have probably swapped positions as well

Arcade Fire
    Fugazi • Kasabian
    Erasure • Boards of Canada • Big Boi • Underworld • Patti Smith • Autolux • Digitalism • the Charlatans UK • Janelle Monae • Scratch Perverts • Mumford & Sons • Quantic

Talking Heads
    At the Drive-In • Gang of Four
    Jamiroquai • Blonde Redhead • Cassius • A Tribe Called Quest • Of Montreal • Gary Numan • Blakroc • the Twelves • Super Furry Animals • UNKLE • Free Energy • Merzbow

Daft Punk
    Iggy & the Stooges • My Morning Jacket
    Leftfield • Godspeed You! Black Emperor • Mazzy Star • Faithless Soundsystem • Battles • Cut Copy • Thurston Moore • Shout Out Louds • Pharoahe Monch

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawlz
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

About 5% of the people at Coachella this year knew who Fugazi was.

Fugazi would never play any festival.

Pretty sure it was the same way with Pavement
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Fugazi refused to play any show that cost more than $5.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Actually, I just read a kinda shitty review in the Wall Street Journal.
    Annnnd I stopped reading here...

This relieved the promoters from having to deliver killer headliners for each night. Saturday, the main-stage bill-topper was Tiλsto, a DJ better suited to the popular dance tent;
    If you're going to make an opinionated statement, at least get the facts your basing your opinion on correct.

I'm pretty sure after this year's line up and sell out nothing mentioned in this thread will play next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Pretty sure it was the same way with Pavement
    god youre dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by MassonaBlackEyes View Post
    who the fuck quotes themselves in their sigs?

My sig is it...
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

The only confirmation for next year that I know of is a Groove Armada LIVE set.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

no one believed my Arcade Fire confirmation.

Arcade Fire
    Air • Deftones
    Fugazi • Boards of Canada • Big Boi • Underworld • Patti Smith • Autolux • Digitalism
    the Cranberries • Janelle Monae • Scratch Perverts • Kool Keith • Mogwai • Quantic

Rolling Stones
    Moby • At the Drive-In
    Jamiroquai • Blonde Redhead • P.J. Harvey • A Tribe Called Quest • Of Montreal
    Gary Numan • Blakroc • Leftfield • Radio Dept. • UNKLE • Pinback • Merzbow

Daft Punk
    Kanye West • Iggy & the Stooges
    The Knife • Godspeed You! Black Emperor • Mazzy Star • Faithless Soundsystem • Battles Cut Copy
    Tricky • Shout Out Louds • ADULT.

^^^^ uuugghhh too awesome for words.
    Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Don't have to since the San Diego board is gone, meaning I won. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteimp View Post
    Clusterfuckchella is right on the money. I'll stick to EDC thanks. :/

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    no one believed my Arcade Fire confirmation.
    Where was this?

when I started the thread. I wasn't fooling around.

So where's the evidence...???we can't believe you if you. Don't tell us how you know

lol obzen I think we've started some sort of tradition. I make a faux lineup and you reiterate it

Quote Originally Posted by stellarpoet22 View Post
    So where's the evidence...???we can't believe you if you. Don't tell us how you know
    You don't have to believe me. It being this soon, things can change. Heard it from one of the big named acts that played this year. Take it or leave it.

Half realistic guesses/half wishlist
    Beastie Boys
    The Flaming Lips • Feist
    Underworld • Cibo Matto • Metric • Broken Social Scene • Leftfield • Friendly Fires • Stars

Arcade Fire
    Pulp • Gnarls Barkley
    George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic • The Knife • token shitty guidotastic dj • Elbow • Blonde Redhead

Daft Punk
    Wilco • Arctic Monkeys
    Cafe Tacuba • Royksopp • The National • Cat Power • Gary Numan • Bat for Lashes • Dizzee Rascal
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale