Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Coachella sell out??????

Default Re: Will Coachella sell out??????

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    So if Paul Tollet says 'you are a thick dipshit' that would be correct too?
    Hehe!!

Awww, no mames.
    Find your answers elsewhere, shitface.

Didn't Orbital play at Ultra about a week ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Sly Stone has not played a show since 1981.
    and probably a good chance this record will stand.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.mugatu View Post
    this is my first Coachella and I'm totally excited to be part of it.
    I have gone to ACL for the last 8 years since I'm from Austin but have never bothered with Coachella...lesson will be learned soon...

I think the 3-day-pass-only as a whole will benefit all those going.
    Similar situation, this my first Coachella after going to Bonnaroo for the last two years and couldn't be more excited.

For those of you who are going for the first time, you are going have an amazing time! The biggest issue at Coachella is having too many good things going on at once!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPenguin View Post
    Didn't Orbital play at Ultra about a week ago?
    D'oh, you got me, change hasn't to hadn't.

I could easily see them never playing the US again after this though.

Orbital hasn't played a US show since 2002.
    Miami on March 27

just sayin. but still...ultra doesn't count, it's a way inappropriate setting for them and i'm sure the crowd didn't give them the respect they deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by softbulletin View Post
    Similar situation, this my first Coachella after going to Bonnaroo for the last two years and couldn't be more excited.
    Another Roo person going to Coachella for the first time. After it's over you can play the "which is better." It always ends with you really can't compare the two. They are both great for their own reasons. Coachella will be one of the greatest times you will have I bet ...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Seriously? Not even as Sly Stone rather than Sly and the Family Stone? Fuck.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Nevermind. From wikipedia:

Re-emergence

On Sunday, January 14, 2007 Stone made a short guest appearance at a show of The New Family Stone band he supports at the House of Blues.

On April 1, 2007, Stone appeared with the Family Stone at the Flamingo Las Vegas Showroom, after George Wallace's standup act.[2]

On July 7, 2007 Stone made a short appearance with the Family Stone at the San Jose, CA Summerfest. He sang "Sing a Simple Song" and "If You Want Me to Stay," and walked off stage before the end of "Higher." He wore a baseball cap, dark glasses, a white hooded sweatshirt, baggy pants and gold chains. Stone, who took the stage at about 8:45 p.m., cut the set short, in part, because the promoter was told that the show had to end by 9:00. The band began their set over 90 minutes late reportedly because the stage management was poor and the promoter's band played for 30 minutes longer than scheduled. Stone's 15-minute set came only after his sister, Vet, and the rest of the band performed for 35 minutes. As he exited the stage he told the audience near the front of the stage that he would return. He did return, but only to tell the crowd that the police were shutting down the show. While many blamed Stone for this incident, others believed that the promoter was at fault.

The same scenes were repeated at the Montreux Jazz Festival on the 13th July 2007 with over half the sold-out venue walking out in disgust even earlier than his stage exit.

The same happened again one day later at the Blue Note Records Festival in Ghent, Belgium. Here he left the stage after saying to the audience that "when waking up this morning he realized he was old, and so he needed to take a break now". He did the same again one day later, performing at the North Sea Jazz Festival.
    Sly Stone in Bournemouth England, July 29, 2007 Photo: Simon Fernandez

But as the tour progressed, Stone seemed to be more confident and animated, often dancing and engaging the audience. By the time the tour rolled into Paris, things appeared to be improving and Stone, sporting an afro and a headband, performed an energetic and absorbing show, with one his finest performances of "Family Affair." He performed soulful versions of "Stand", "I Want To Take You Higher", "Sing A Simple Song", "If You Want Me To Stay", and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)", (which at one point morphed into "Thank you For Talkin' To Me Africa", a track rarely performed in public). But the show was marred by sound problems and the vocals were barely audible through much of the show.

On Memorial Day, May 25, 2009, Stone re-emerged once again, granting an hour-long interview with KCRW-FM Los Angeles, An NPR affiliate, to discuss his life and career.

On 18 August 2009 the Guardian reported that a forthcoming documentary claims Stone was living on welfare and staying in cheap hotels and campervans. The film alleges that Stone's former manager, Jerry Goldstein, cut off his access to royalty payments following a dispute over a 'debt agreement', forcing Stone to depend on social security payments. [3]

On Labor Day, September 7, 2009, Stone emerged at the 20th annual African Festival of the Arts in Chicago, Ill. He performed a 15 minute set during George Clinton's Performance. He performed his popular hits along with George Clinton's band, stealing the show. He left immediately after his short performance.

On December 6, 2009, Sly signed a new recording contract with the LA based Cleopatra Records. A new album is expected sometime in 2010.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

old school

He came out for like half a song at the Grammy's a few years ago. And then there's this:

The insane circumstances surrounding Sly Stone’s bizarre appearance in Santa Rosa last Friday, Oct. 18 [2008], were told to me by several people involved with the show. Crazy doesn’t begin to describe it. Here’s how it went down.

The morning of the show, Sly Stone is in Los Angeles. He fires his business manager. Sly tells the promoter that he’s his own boss now, that he’s the one who’s going to get paid at the show, and that he needs $3,000 wired to the bank account of an Iranian BMW saleswoman before he’ll even get on the plane to San Francisco.

And about that plane: it was supposed to arrive from Los Angeles at 11:30am. No Sly. The limo waits at the airport. Sly’s next flight becomes 1:30pm, then 2:30pm, 3:30pm and 5:30pm. No one can get a hold of him at all. The promoter drives to the airport in the slim hope that Sly might walk through one of the gates.

Finally, at 7:30pm, with his young Japanese girlfriend in tow, the 65-year-old Sly shows up at the airport. He’s an hour and a half away from the show—which starts in a half hour—and he demands to go to the hotel. The young girlfriend finally talks him out of it, and he agrees to go to the show, but he’s still talking about getting paid.

He sleeps all the way to Santa Rosa.

Sly doesn’t hit the stage at the Wells Fargo Center until 10:30pm, during the fifth song of the set. He walks off the stage 25 minutes later, in the middle of “I Wanna Take You Higher,” telling the crowd, “I gotta go take a piss. I’ll be right back.”

But Sly never comes back. The band continues on without him, killing time for 30 minutes. During the last song, a man appears on the stage, whispering into band members’ ears.

Meanwhile, backstage, Sly is demanding to be paid. The show is still going on, and the promoters are telling his handlers to get him back out to perform more. But his handlers know the drill. It’s been this way for years. What can they do?

Before the show is over, Sly is out in the parking lot, still in his white suit, trying to get into the promoter’s car. All the doors are plainly locked, but he keeps trying. Finally, a woman drives by, picks him and his Japanese girlfriend up, and they whiz away.
    and there's more...

http://www.bohemian.com/citysound/?p=1081
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

so probably don't even try to make his set...

I guess I was lucky to see them because yes, you never can plan on Sly to do what you expect ...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

yeah sounds like a set to not waste time with. which sucks i was looking forward to the sound of Everyday People on the Polo Grounds. (but I would like that in the daylight)
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

SLY WILL FUCKING SHOW AND PUT ON AN AMAZING PERFORMACE!
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

Sly w/ Amy Winehouse would be an EPIC no show...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

I'm hoping we get a "show" from Sly, a couple random appearances here and there definitely do not constitute a full set.

Banned

coachella does a great job with sensitive artists so if there is ever a chance for a brilliant set from sly stone, coachella is the place... we will see.. if no conflicts, ill be there for at least a part of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Cassanova View Post
    On a very personal level heres whats wrong with Coachella this year.

* Boring Headliners.

* Not many exclusive acts (most are playing in my area). With the thousand or so it would cost me to come (airfare, hotel, rental, etc.) I can see most of these bands in my neck of the woods.

* Too many solo acts that will play material I don't want to hear.

* Too many side projects I don't care about.

* Very generic electronic acts highly billed (Tiesto, David Guetta, Kaskade, etc.).

* No single day passes. I can live with 3 day, just like having the option.

* Oodles of pointless camping activites. If I were staying in camping, I would think the following about the activies, DON'T KNOW DON'T CARE.

* Nothing epic to get excited about.

dumb

Ga26

I'm hoping we get a "show" from Sly, a couple random appearances here and there definitely do not constitute a full set.
    Hopefully he closes whatever stage he is on in case he's several hours late.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I have already given up on seeng Sly. Just too much going on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.
    This is the correct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by crumbduck View Post
    Really? While I do think the lineup is fairly solid it's probably the least excited I've been in the past 6 years of attending Coachella.
    I agree; this is the least excited lineup-wise I've been for any Coachella ever. I'm still going and I'm sure I'll have a great time but the lineup does have less for me than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Cassanova View Post
    On a very personal level heres whats wrong with Coachella this year.
    I'll respond too!

* Boring Headliners.

Ehh, who cares.

* Not many exclusive acts (most are playing in my area). With the thousand or so it would cost me to come (airfare, hotel, rental, etc.) I can see most of these bands in my neck of the woods.

Plenty of exclusive acts for me... but if it cost me a grand to go I wouldn't either.

* Too many solo acts that will play material I don't want to hear.
    * Too many side projects I don't care about.

I dunno, I wanna hear Jonsi and Fever Ray and the Almighty Defenders and I would like to check out Thom Yorke, too; I'm more interested in the Dead Weather than I would be in any of the other bands containing those people (other than Discount which is never going to happen.) I'mn't gonna consider Gorillaz or Them Crooked Vultures or Public Image, Ltd. side projects for these purposes, but whatever. The latter I'm quite excited about and Gorillaz might be interesting, too.

* Very generic electronic acts highly billed (Tiesto, David Guetta, Kaskade, etc.).

Who cares.

* No single day passes. I can live with 3 day, just like having the option.

Sounds like you don't care about this either.

* Oodles of pointless camping activites. If I were staying in camping, I would think the following about the activies, DON'T KNOW DON'T CARE.

If you're not camping then you don't care. I am camping and, well, I'mn't particularly excited by the roller rink and such but hey, it's something to check out.

* Nothing epic to get excited about.

Not sure what you're looking for, here. The very reality of Coachella itself is, in my mind, epic. I am very excited for Fever Ray and Camera Obscura and Pavement - none of which I've seen before - so that has got me going.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Just bought my tickets today.

I was so nervous it would sell out.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

vinylmartyr

You are very wise.

Next week.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Man he's fried all up.

This is like when we saw Love with Arthur Lee in 05.
    They did Forever Changes but man was he sort of a dried out husk of what once was.

Sly Stone "performed" at Zanzibar in Santa Monica for his bday w/ his daugther and buddy George Clinton. He's def fried up. But, that was a great venue to witness him bring whatever funk he still got. Here's some vids I took (sorry I'm not hip to embedding heres the links)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4T8oDUgMs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZQZ6K6uAU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBS2pMIPP8I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swW2muiTfo
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin