Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legalize it? In november that is!

Default Legalize it? In november that is!

Should CA legalize marijuana and tax it for adults?

I say yes!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...tory?track=rss
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

Default Re: Legalize it? In november that is!

didn't this happen awhile ago?

hopefully the will of the people will realize how great this is for california's economy.

And next year no need to hide it!!!
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

No, it didn't happen a while ago - 12 years ago, California legalized marijuana for medical use, which means you have to go to a doctor and get a recommendation, and the exact legality of a lot of the dispensaries is hazy at best.

Possession of less than an ounce is punishable by a $100 fine unless they can convince a jury that it was possession with intent to distribute.

Jesus Christ, I'm not that ignorant. I meant when the votes got tallied, that was already released awhile ago.

stupid fucker.

old school

Come on California, you can do it!
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

This would be nice.

2 more years then 1 more year after that for Colorado (I guess unless we had a special election it would be 2 years after California) ...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

This is not gonna be great for California's economy. It's just gonna be more money that gets poorly spent. Kinda like whats going on now.

And make up your fucking mind, California. Is it medicinal or is it recreational? WTF?! This shit pisses me off.

It would be interesting if this were to pass here in California. Would the Federal Government intervene if it does pass? If the DEA is constantly raiding state legal Marijuana Dispensaries whats to stop them from still writing you up for possession of marijuana once it passes?

Theres a very good chance of this passing in the November ballot.

Since Obama came into office, I've heard the raids have pretty much stopped.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Since Obama came into office, I've heard the raids have pretty much stopped.
    If anything, the raids have gotten worse, at least in Los Angeles.

I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but there is someone in the city that has taken it upon himself to make it a personal crusade to shut down as many shops as possible, under the pretense that they are basically selling marajuana as retail establishments that have little or nothing to do with medicinal use.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post

I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but there is someone in the city that has taken it upon himself to make it a personal crusade to shut down as many shops as possible, under the pretense that they are basically selling marajuana as retail establishments that have little or nothing to do with medicinal use.
    I watched a movie recently, I think Super High Me, that talked about the renegade cop that's been raiding the pot clubs there. Fucking feds.

Yeah...the L.A city council recently voted to close down all Marijuana Dispensaries opening after 2007 and putting a heavy restriction as in to where those Dispensaries can be located making it almost impossible to abide by.

This is pretty accurate, though, wouldn't you say?

One of my good friends owns a club in Reseda, they pay all taxes and follow all rules, they got raided this summer and even the LAPD raided their glass studio and stole all of their torches, some of which belonged to the artists renting space...
    Last edited by Geno_g; 03-25-2010 at 10:36 AM.

unfortunately, I have been familiar with too many that this has been exactly the case. They need to regulate themselves better and not hire dumb stoner kids that are unable to see the bigger picture. Kids working there, getting a significant discount and running a side business is a sure way to bring increased scrutiny and get shut down. They are setting back the cause if they operate this way, only to help reinforce stereotypes and the fears of the general public. Of course, I'm not speaking of all of them, but several that I have personal knowledge of.
    '99-'11...

Yeah well, this isn't a fed. That's why you may have gotten a different impression.

Also, if you're in the Bay Area, things are a lot different. There's something like less than 20 dispensaries in San Francisco, and 3 in Oakland.

At one point, there were upwards of 600 in L.A. - it was officially reported that there were more marijuana dispensaries then there were Starbucks.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    This is pretty accurate, though, wouldn't you say?
    Yes, i totally agree. I think that what's been on with the clubs is fucking ridiculous. The actual street dealer doesn't even really exist around here anymore because somebody can just go into a store and buy an ounce at any quality or price point any time he wants.

It's a huge retardation of what the medicinal legalization was meant to do, and MOST of them deserve to get shut down.
    last.fm

Yeah the raid was done by the LAPD, but still stealing someone else property that had nothing to do with the MMJ club is bullshit...

Yeah well, this isn't a fed. That's why you may have gotten a different impression.

Also, if you're in the Bay Area, things are a lot different. There's something like less than 20 dispensaries in San Francisco, and 3 in Oakland.

At one point, there were upwards of 600 in L.A. - it was officially reported that there were more marijuana dispensaries then there were Starbucks.
    True, they are finally making there way down to San Jose...

The marijuana business has to act and present itself more professionally if it wants to be taken serious among voters and politicians.

We have 100's of MMJ places here in Denver. I know they raided a couple of places but they were not established and more of an overnight type of business. I have said MJ would be legal in "a few more years" and that was '68. I am not going to hold my breath (well except at times but it does seem to be getting closer ...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

vote +1
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    We have 100's of MMJ places here in Denver. I know they raided a couple of places but they were not established and more of an overnight type of business. I have said MJ would be legal in "a few more years" and that was '68. I am not going to hold my breath (well except at times but it does seem to be getting closer ...
    we avg 6.2 shops per sq mile.

I'm not that ignorant. I meant when the votes got tallied, that was already released awhile ago.

Actually, it wasn't.

When the petition circulators submitted it to the Secretary of State, there was a bunch of press coverage of the number of <em>actual signatures</em>, and a theory that when they counted them (discarding the number of signatures which weren't legitimate because the signers weren't registered voters), it would probably be enough.

The Secretary of State then sent the petitions to the county elections offices, which did a random sampling of signatures to determine what number of the actual signatures were likely valid. The rule is that if the random sample returns a number which is less than 95% of the number required to get on the ballot, the measure fails; if random sample returns a number which is more than 110% of the number required to get on the ballot, the measure is on the ballot; if the random sample returns a number between 95% and 100%, they verify each signature.

The counties had until yesterday to return their counts to the Secretary of State. It had become pretty clear about a week ago (as counties returned their results, the Secretary of State posted them online) that the signatures would be high enough, but the number didn't actually cross the 110% threshold until yesterday when Los Angeles County returned its count.

At that point, the Secretary of State certified the initiative for the ballot.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ball...sures.htm#1377

This is not gonna be great for California's economy.

Amusingly, there have been urgent meetings in Humboldt County where the local business community has been trying to put together an action plan for what to do if this passes: it's expected to cause a serious drop in the price, thereby wiping out the local economy.

If the DEA is constantly raiding state legal Marijuana Dispensaries whats to stop them from still writing you up for possession of marijuana once it passes?
    Absolutely nothing.

That said, it's a waste of time to write you up for possession, especially since juries aren't terribly likely to convict. The more likely scenario is that they go after the distribution channel - keeping it from being sold openly in 7-11 or in Amsterdam-style coffee shops.

Then it becomes a big national political battle and an issue in the 2012 Presidential election.

Tobacco companies are going to play an important role in this whole fiasco.