Thread: BARONESS and DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN??

Lurker

Default BARONESS and DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN??

anyone excited for these two this year?

also...anyone interested in the art of John Baizley?
    DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979!!!

Default Re: BARONESS and DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN??

Not a fan of either, but Baizley's art for the Baroness albums is great. The first time I noticed his work was when Pig Destroyer's latest, Phantom Limb, came out and thought it looked amazing.

yes, go look for other threads.. dont make new ones..

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJRLZR View Post
    anyone excited for these two this year?

also...anyone interested in the art of John Baizley?
    1. yes

2. Yes. I was familiar with Baisley as an illustrator first, and that's what made me interested in the band when Red Album came out. he's amazing
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

When I picked up the new Baroness I immediately thought the artwork was amazing, but I'm not knowlegeable about the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    When I picked up the new Baroness I immediately thought the artwork was amazing, but I'm not knowlegeable about the artist.
    That's the singer and guitar player for the band. He does a lot of album covers for other bands and releases prints, etc

http://www.myspace.com/johndyerbaizley
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Oh, thanks, Drinkey. Can you tell I'm not that familiar with them yet? Ha.

Memorial_07

If I can see Dillinger, great but if not, oh well not a huge deal.

But I must see Baroness. Amazing band with a bunch of potential.

Banned

both are on my mid tier list so if there are no conflicts, ill be there.....

Am I the only one who thinks they sound like Mastodon?

Seen Baroness a couple of times, they were phenomenal on both occasions. Met the whole band, the previous lineup as well as the new one, and they were all stand up, polite gentlemen. Haven't seen DEP but their new album is insane, and I hear they put on a ridiculously intense live show.

The association between Baroness and Mastodon is pretty shallow. If you've actually dug into both of the bands work than you would know that they're completely different except for the fact that they're Southern metal, and have fairly complicated song structures. The vocals, melodic and lyrical themes, musicianship, and playing styles are all pretty damn different. Mastodon's sound is also more metal. Both fantastic bands though.

I'm fucking stoked for both of them. I've seen Dillinger twice now and they are fucking amazing. I definitely won't miss their set. I've said this before, but they will be THE face melter this year much like Mastodon was in '09 an Aphex Twin in '08. I'm glad we're getting at least 2 heavy bands this year. I really like Baroness's albums too. Amazing guitar work. Can't wait for these guys!

Quote Originally Posted by zeg0ggles View Post
    Seen Baroness a couple of times, they were phenomenal on both occasions. Met the whole band, the previous lineup as well as the new one, and they were all stand up, polite gentlemen. Haven't seen DEP but their new album is insane, and I hear they put on a ridiculously intense live show.

The association between Baroness and Mastodon is pretty shallow. If you've actually dug into both of the bands work than you would know that they're completely different except for the fact that they're Southern metal, and have fairly complicated song structures. The vocals, melodic and lyrical themes, musicianship, and playing styles are all pretty damn different. Mastodon's sound is also more metal. Both fantastic bands though.
    I love Mastodon, been listening to them for 4 years now. I have only heard a few tracks by Baroness and all that came to mind was Mastodon. I guess I will have to dig deeper.

Baroness and Mastodon are certainly in the same zone. They are touring together this spring.

I don't think they necessarily sound like each other, as in duplicates, but i would totally say, "If you like Mastodon, you will most certainly like Baroness."

If you like Baroness and have not seen them live yet, do NOT miss them. They really bring it live.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by seandigi View Post
    I love Mastodon, been listening to them for 4 years now. I have only heard a few tracks by Baroness and all that came to mind was Mastodon. I guess I will have to dig deeper.
    Sweet. I'd recommend their Second EP as well as the Red album. Blue Record is great, but I'm still kind of a sucker for their earlier dirtier material.

Baroness' vocals aren't exactly what I like in a metal band, but the guitar work is phenomenal and everyone says they are awesome live so I plan to check them out.

DEP, however, I dunno man... I like a LOT of metal, everything from Iron Maiden, to Slayer, Arch Enemy, The Haunted, to Opeth. These guys just don't do anything for me.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

I LOVE Dillinger, seen em twice. Not much is gonna make me miss them Friday night. Baroness would be cool to see if there's no one conflicting.