Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 25 TIPS FOR THE COACHELLA NEWCOMERS. (2010 VERSION)

Default Re: 25 TIPS FOR THE COACHELLA NEWCOMERS. (2010 VERSION)

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    "NEVER text "Where are you?" or any text that requires a response because by the time you get one, your friend won't be where they said they'd be. Also, Text affirmative statements such as "Meet at Sahara Tent at 6:30pm" or "Meet in beer garden by main stage at 8pm". Finally, Time stamp your texts because ambiguous times like "Meet me in 20 minutes" doesn't mean a damn thing. (thanks Weezy F) "

Great advice!
    Thanks! Here's another tip for you 21+ that stay late into the night.

Have a small ice chest in your car (you can buy a foam ice chest at a market for cheap) and throw a 12 pack of beer and some frozen bottles of water in there and put it in your trunk. Then, when you're waiting for 2 hours in the parking lot for cars to move so you can leave, nothing will feel better than a bottle of water or a cold beer. It's a clutch move. Not saying you gotta get faded before you're about to drive, but surely the 3 or 4 other people in your car will appreciate it.

I WANT TO DJ AT COACHELLA. How can I make this happen?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
    fuck off, die, and create a parallel universe where anyone gives a fuck about music you make.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

this thread is magical!
    Friday: Titus Andronicus
    the Black Keys - OFWGKTA

Brandon Flowers - Sleigh Bells - Cut Copy
    Crystal Castles - Cold War Kids - Glasser

Saturday: Arcade Fire
    Foals - Freelance Whales

Animal Collective - Cage the Elephant - Wire
    Two Door Cinema Club - the Kills - Elbow

Sunday: Kanye West
    the National - Death from Above 1979

Phantogram - the Strokes - HEALTH
    Menomena - Ratatat - Twin Shadow

If you are an allergy sufferer, take lots of Claritin and Sudafed with you. It was rainy in So Cal this year = lots of pollen.

So I was planning on bringing a camel back with no water in it and filling it up inside. Would that be okay? Is there anywhere I could fill it up? I remember last year there were water jugs but I think they were only if you had bought those two dollar water bottles.

If someone starts a 2011 version i will stick it. start with collecting all the good tips from this thread.

thank you
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

BUMPity BUMP
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    aww, i remember reading this for the first time 3 years ago right before my first Coachella and thinking how nice you were for laying it all out for the newbies.
    THIS. Thanks C-DUB.

I want to wear a fanny pack, but will i need to bring a bigger back just for a jacket for the nighttime?? how cold does it get?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

^ low 60's
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Add: Personal Space is much different at Coachella - You may not think there is ANY space next to you at a show, but someone will show up and now be touching you....get used to it....not like 'you gonna get raped' touching (bring on the photo)...but there everyone is right next to one another. You will have other peoples sweat on you...expect it and you'll have a better time.
    Last edited by baily; 01-31-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyrae View Post
    I want to wear a fanny pack, but will i need to bring a bigger back just for a jacket for the nighttime?? how cold does it get?
    CAR FINDER APP- PARK AND FIND & FIND MY CAR (2 different apps for iPhone - purchase both) - OMG THESE APPS ARE LIFESAVERS!!! After you park you are going to go every direction. After a full day it is easy to forget where you parked. These apps will lead you DIRECTLY TO YOUR CAR! OMG I was so happy I did these. MAKE SURE YOU SET THE SECOND YOU PARK, BEFORE YOU OPEN A BEER - BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. - if you don't have an iPhone - all phones that have apps I'm sure have something similar. If you don't have one - take paper and pencil and write down exactly where you walked. I advise also buying an orange flag at home depot and putting it on your car hanging up if you don't have the phone apps. If you think it looks stupid writing down where you walked to get your car - try walking around in the dark with 10,000 cars wondering which one is yours after a full day of drinking, drugs or whatever you were on. Reason to purchase both is so you have a backup. It's worth $3.99 to have directions within 2 ft of your car. If you are only going to get one...get Park and Find

it gets COLD at night...people in shorts are shivering and NOT happy. You need to note that even with Sun Screen you will still get red and the cold at night seems much much worse because of the sun exposure. Bring a sweatshirt and pants...put em in a locker.

Print out 3 sets of schedules - one for each day - as you'll eventually get drunk or be messed up and pull it out of your pocket on accident and lose it. Have backups as you won't find any at the festival. Having the Coachella App helps, but it's easier just to have the folded up paper. I did the app version last year...I'm back to using paper.

LOCKERS WILL SELL OUT! - If you try to wait to get a locker you'll be shit outta luck - pay for one online today and have it....you'll be glad you can come and go from there...they also have a changing station. If you wait to get a locker later you'll be without

Portable Cell Phone Battery Packs - There are many out there where you don't need an inverter. They cost around $40 and you can easily toss it in the locker.
    Put your phone on Airplane mode while at the festival until needed - turn off Bluetooth and WIFI to save power.

Sunscreen up before and at lunch - once isn't enough...and Burnt isn't fun.

Cell phone service is shit while there - all of them suck - so don't expect to call home to friends or family...also don't be the fool who is constantly trying to update his facebook page...you guys are idiots. Try being without tech for a few days and live life raw.

BRING PLENTY OF CASH - credit cards are almost useless...worrying about a $5 burger or an $8 smoothie is foolish...be ready to spend plenty of cash. Start saving money now.

Plan time to get out alone - take time away from your friends for a bit to get and explore on your own. You'll thank me later. It's nice to get out and do your own thing rather than constantly asking everyone what they want to do or having someone latch onto you and you are the 'entertainment director'. I've done this every year and while I love being with my people going out and exploring on my own is priceless.

People watching 101 - Go buy a beer and just people watch - there is NOTHING BETTER than setting a flat 30 minutes just for people watching. You'll see every type of person in the world....it's one thing I take time to do EVERY Coachella festival.

Sunset- Take a moment to watch it go down...each night it's beautiful. I'm sad EVERY Sunday it goes down knowing the festival is soon to finish and all these beautiful women are now almost impossible to see.

Say 'Hi' to the people you are eating next to...you are bound to meet someone new. I've met great people and found many bands that they are interested in. I've went to see a few of the bands they stated and walked out a fan myself.

Bathrooms - are a long distance away - If you feel it coming...start walking.

Have a few drinks before - getting drunk or drinking a lot before is just stooooopid. It's a long full day out in the sun.

Take something to cover your face and mouth with at night. It'll get dusty dusty dusty at night walking back. Your face, eyes and entire body will be covered in dust. Take something to cover your face on the walk back...because with all the cars leaving it kicks up one hell of a dust storm. I might even bring swimming googles this year to wear on the walk back...it gets real bad.

Be Open to just going to an area and trying a band you've never heard....another great aspect of Coachella is becoming a FAN of a group you've never heard.

Write down or text yourself the names of bands that you liked after a show and try to write down the songs you liked to download when you get home. I always do this and create a folder 'Coachella 2010' and put all of the songs I loved from the festival on it to enjoy.

Look at YouTube when you get home - there was something epic you missed....just type Coachella 2011...note that there will always be someone who will youtube every show so you can pull it up there as well.

Thanks for the advice on the ER-20 ear plugs. I went one year without plugs (DUMB) my ears were ringing for 2 days after....that's permanent damage....I just bought some for myself and brother.
    Last edited by baily; 01-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    THIS. Thanks C-DUB.
    No worries, very welcome
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    CAR FINDER APP- PARK AND FIND & FIND MY CAR (2 different apps for iPhone - purchase both) - OMG THESE APPS ARE LIFESAVERS!!! After you park you are going to go every direction. After a full day it is easy to forget where you parked. These apps will lead you DIRECTLY TO YOUR CAR! OMG I was so happy I did these. MAKE SURE YOU SET THE SECOND YOU PARK, BEFORE YOU OPEN A BEER - BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. - if you don't have an iPhone - all phones that have apps I'm sure have something similar. If you don't have one - take paper and pencil and write down exactly where you walked. I advise also buying an orange flag at home depot and putting it on your car hanging up if you don't have the phone apps. If you think it looks stupid writing down where you walked to get your car - try walking around in the dark with 10,000 cars wondering which one is yours after a full day of drinking, drugs or whatever you were on. Reason to purchase both is so you have a backup. It's worth $3.99 to have directions within 2 ft of your car. If you are only going to get one...get Park and Find

it gets COLD at night...people in shorts are shivering and NOT happy. You need to note that even with Sun Screen you will still get red and the cold at night seems much much worse because of the sun exposure. Bring a sweatshirt and pants...put em in a locker.

Print out 3 sets of schedules - one for each day - as you'll eventually get drunk or be messed up and pull it out of your pocket on accident and lose it. Have backups as you won't find any at the festival. Having the Coachella App helps, but it's easier just to have the folded up paper. I did the app version last year...I'm back to using paper.

LOCKERS WILL SELL OUT! - If you try to wait to get a locker you'll be shit outta luck - pay for one online today and have it....you'll be glad you can come and go from there...they also have a changing station. If you wait to get a locker later you'll be without

Portable Cell Phone Battery Packs - There are many out there where you don't need an inverter. They cost around $40 and you can easily toss it in the locker.
    Put your phone on Airplane mode while at the festival until needed - turn off Bluetooth and WIFI to save power.

Sunscreen up before and at lunch - once isn't enough...and Burnt isn't fun.

Cell phone service is shit while there - all of them suck - so don't expect to call home to friends or family...also don't be the fool who is constantly trying to update his facebook page...you guys are idiots. Try being without tech for a few days and live life raw.

BRING PLENTY OF CASH - credit cards are almost useless...worrying about a $5 burger or an $8 smoothie is foolish...be ready to spend plenty of cash. Start saving money now.

Plan time to get out alone - take time away from your friends for a bit to get and explore on your own. You'll thank me later. It's nice to get out and do your own thing rather than constantly asking everyone what they want to do or having someone latch onto you and you are the 'entertainment director'. I've done this every year and while I love being with my people going out and exploring on my own is priceless.

People watching 101 - Go buy a beer and just people watch - there is NOTHING BETTER than setting a flat 30 minutes just for people watching. You'll see every type of person in the world....it's one thing I take time to do EVERY Coachella festival.

Sunset- Take a moment to watch it go down...each night it's beautiful. I'm sad EVERY Sunday it goes down knowing the festival is soon to finish and all these beautiful women are now almost impossible to see.

Say 'Hi' to the people you are eating next to...you are bound to meet someone new. I've met great people and found many bands that they are interested in. I've went to see a few of the bands they stated and walked out a fan myself.

Bathrooms - are a long distance away - If you feel it coming...start walking.

Have a few drinks before - getting drunk or drinking a lot before is just stooooopid. It's a long full day out in the sun.

Take something to cover your face and mouth with at night. It'll get dusty dusty dusty at night walking back. Your face, eyes and entire body will be covered in dust. Take something to cover your face on the walk back...because with all the cars leaving it kicks up one hell of a dust storm. I might even bring swimming googles this year to wear on the walk back...it gets real bad.

Be Open to just going to an area and trying a band you've never heard....another great aspect of Coachella is becoming a FAN of a group you've never heard.

Write down or text yourself the names of bands that you liked after a show and try to write down the songs you liked to download when you get home. I always do this and create a folder 'Coachella 2010' and put all of the songs I loved from the festival on it to enjoy.

Look at YouTube when you get home - there was something epic you missed....just type Coachella 2011...note that there will always be someone who will youtube every show so you can pull it up there as well.

Thanks for the advice on the ER-20 ear plugs. I went one year without plugs (DUMB) my ears were ringing for 2 days after....that's permanent damage....I just bought some for myself and brother.
    Can't stress the one about the dust storm enough. I always bring a stack of painters masks for the walk back to the car. It truly is a giant dust cloud and by day 3, if you have any allergy issues you'll be wrecked. You can get painters masks at Home Depot for $1.99 for 5.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    Can't stress the one about the dust storm enough. I always bring a stack of painters masks for the walk back to the car. It truly is a giant dust cloud and by day 3, if you have any allergy issues you'll be wrecked. You can get painters masks at Home Depot for $1.99 for 5.
    good idea with the painters masks.

I'll be picking some up. I'll be the goof leaving the festival with the painters mask and swim goggles on.

Rather that than the dust

Lurker

Thank you VERY much for all the awesome tips, it is going to be my first year at Coachella and I am traveling from the East Coast ( Boston ) to camp out and enjoy Coachella and am very appreciative of any and all advice given.
    -Katerina

Tip for scalpers:

EAT SHIT & DIE!!!!lol

Will someone make a fucking 2011 thread for PF?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by pewpew87 View Post
    Tip for scalpers:

EAT SHIT & DIE!!!!lol
    Plan ahead so you don't have to deal with them.

Scalpers exsist only because people are too stupid and not plan ahead.

It's a stupid tax...that's what they are paying.

You should be thinking the next time you buy from a scalper,'I was too stupid this time...so he'll get my money today...but never again.'

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but make sure everyone you're going with has each others numbers in some place other than their cellphone. I lost my phone back in 08 while me and my friend split up to see different shows. It was the scariest thing since I didn't know my friends number by heart. I was just running around the field at night looking like a distressed moron. By the grace of god some kids sitting in the grass tossed my phone in front of my feet while I was retracing my steps. It was a coachella miracle. But yeah, jot down those numbers.
    Konichiwa Bitchez!!!!!!!!!

The Black Keys, Robyn, Cut Copy, Warpaint, Nosaj Thing, Ariel Pink, !!!, Brandt Brauer Frick, Arcade Fire, Erykah Badu,The Radio Dept.,CSS, Best Coast, Twin Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lawbstar View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but make sure everyone you're going with has each others numbers in some place other than their cellphone. I lost my phone back in 08 while me and my friend split up to see different shows. It was the scariest thing since I didn't know my friends number by heart. I was just running around the field at night looking like a distressed moron. By the grace of god some kids sitting in the grass tossed my phone in front of my feet while I was retracing my steps. It was a coachella miracle. But yeah, jot down those numbers.
    dang that would be scary as trying to find anyone there in day time would be difficult...night time forget it.

Have meet up times if the group splits up....6:00 at the oragami right wing.

I can't emphasise enough getting the Car Finder App (click on it when you park and it'll lead you within 2 ft of your car upon return) - so long as you aren't so dumb as to run out of your cell phone battery.

After a full day of partying....trying to put enough brain cells together to find your car amungst 50,000 other cars can be real real bad. It's dark, every car is covered in dirt so you can't tell a red car from a white car. There are NO lights in the parking lots, it gets windy and there is dust flying everywhere so it's super hard to see anything.

Read some of the other posts on past expereinces of the many people that have slept on the ground in the lot because they couldn't find their car...there are many....don't be so dumb to think that you won't be the one.

Saying...meet up after the show at the car is stooooooopid! If one person forgets the rest are going to have to wait all night. Use your head and MAKE A PLAN AND EXPECT ISSUES.

AS coach said

Proper
    Planning
    Prevents
    Piss
    Poor
    Performance

another bit of advice:

don't take the stupid CD's and flyers from the people as you leave the festival...there's a reason the CD's they hand you are FREE...they suck...and the flyers...come on. Too many people take em' to be nice.

I call these guys 'Human Spam' ...they hand out all this crap that just ends up as garbage all over the ground. Just walk past them and let them hold onto their stuff so it ends up back in their car and not all over the city.
    Last edited by baily; 02-02-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    good idea with the painters masks.

I'll be picking some up. I'll be the goof leaving the festival with the painters mask and swim goggles on.

Rather that than the dust
    Dont stress it, a lot of Chella goers are burners too and most of us feel naked without a dust mask and goggles. You cang et rad goggles at the swapmeet or online for cheap if you want them, decorate them and make them part of your chella experience. And If you dont wanht the full mask use the bandana. Or layer them.

Personally i miss playa dust so im looking forward to it
    *::Happy Chella!::*

I thought I was a fairly seasoned festival goer but you Americans have blown me away

love it
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass.
    And I've just finished my milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
    Don't know if you even know if this thread exists anymore, but check this out, actually possibility a nobody like you can dj

http://www.globalinheritance.org/blo...m-your-friends

One of my rituals each day at Coachella is slapping a good amount of gold bond medicated powder all over my crotchal region while standing near the lockers. Not only is it exhilarating, it also prevents chafing. The burning means it's working.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Thanks Baily for taking the time in writing all of this!
    Definitely a good reference point, will read more of it when I get the chance!

=)

ohh & this was playing in the background
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0XQFoBTYg

*ha!
    just learned how to show a video from the tube!
    =)
    Last edited by Zebra Transit; 02-28-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Learned how to show the video!
    The Rabbit Hole
    http://luxandburn.tumblr.com/

The Coachella 2011 Photography Book:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2270fzr9z9xmp13

(Raw-er Version):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?vlhj07okq4p86u1

Like The Books? Send me a PM. I encourage feedback.

how much booze can we bring in?

As long as you have a Thicket you can bring in whatever you can carry.