Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 TIPS FOR THE COACHELLA NEWCOMERS. (2010 VERSION)

Default Re: 25 TIPS FOR THE COACHELLA NEWCOMERS. (2010 VERSION)

Great tips for the first-timer! Please keep em coming guys =)

Great post! Thanks so much. I feel like this have given me a pretty good sense of what to expect. I really love the tip about efficient texts/meet up times. That will definitely come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I'm going to throw one into this thread.

Make yourself aware of the aura of Coachella and follow accordingly.

This means that you will get out of your car and notice people smiling at you. They are not making fun of you; they are happy and ready to have a good time. Smile back.

While you are walking from your car to the entrance, someone may come up to you and say "do you have a cigarette?" If you have a spare cigarette, give them one and ask them if they need a light. If you don't simply say, "Sorry, I don't have one to spare".

If someone drops their cell phone, yell as loud as you can to them ASAP, example. "Hey, you green butterfly girl, you dropped your phone!Ē

If someone who is beet red from rolling accidentally bumps into you on their way out of the Sahara, pat them on the shoulder and let them through. If they almost fall, help them up. Ask them if they are OK.

Wait in line for the restrooms. Do not cut in line.

Walk in with an opened mind. Donít judge or mock people because they are different from you.

Donít go to a stage and complain. Move on. Why are you wasting your time watching someone you donít like?

If you see an artist on the grounds and want to say hi, please do so. Do not take all of their time by telling them about your entire life (unless they seem interested). If they keep walking, oh well. It wasnít meant to be.

Throw your trash away after you eat. Drop your recyclables into the proper container.

When you leave, use courtesy when merging lanes. This should go without saying, but one person from a merging lane cuts in, then someone from the main line follows right behind, someone from the merging lane cuts in, thenÖ.

There is a reason this festival is world renown. What I'm saying is that this is community that welcomes everyone. Bring out you're best, just like it brings out the best in everyone else.
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Lurker

Take a headlamp, because there is nothing worse than trying to use the bathroom in a pitch black port-o-potty. Also, if you have to use the port-o-potties, use it either early in the day, or late in the evening. In the middle of the day, they tend to get really nasty humid.

^ Absolutely yes to the headlamp. The Portapotties are pretty dark inside at night, and if you have to brave it, you want some light that you don't have to put on the floor of the john (like a lantern) and then bring back in your tent. Ew!

Ladies, this: http://www.thepstyle.com/

Finally, after ten years of Coachella, the single most important thing to me is a bandana (I bring one or two for each day). It seems simple, but there are so many uses. When it's super hot, you can soak it (or find a nice vendor to give you a little ice), squeeze it out over your head, and then wrap it around your neck. It will keep you cool for about an hour. You'll also have something on hand, to clean your face and hands. Later, you can use it to cover your nose and mouth if you have to make the dusty trek back to the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mfnalaska View Post
    O...M...F...G...

"...allows you to pee standing up..."

I'm sorry. This is too weird.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by mfnalaska View Post
    WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I kept reading through that website thinking it was a joke but now I'm pretty sure it's serious. The Menstration Cup??? Jesus Christ.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

You know what's weird? Having to hover your junk over a festering sessbucket. I'm down with any solutions that make me not have to do that.

Advice: Save yourself for the festival !!! Don't go out parting weeks before - stay sober - thus once you get there everything will be that much better, prettier and more fun.

There are at least 3 active threads on this.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoses1308 View Post
    [COLOR="Green"]
    Im no stranger to music festivals, however this will be my first experience with Coachella. A lot of what I have been reading has made it seem like it is going to be difficult to get certain "banned items" in. Are they really that strict, and if i dont bring anything with me how hard do you think it will be to obtain anything inside?

Quote Originally Posted by 3wulfmoonz View Post
    There are at least 3 active threads on this.
    now theres 4. stfu.

solid list as always.. thx!

Lurker

Also, be careful with what you eat while at the festival. There are tons of booths with Pizza, bunches of deep fried stuff, and general nastiness. The last thing you want to do there is have explosive ass death due to eating crappy food, and only be able to poop in the port-o-potties. (I learned the hard way with some raunchy ass french fries and a burger). Try to stick to the not greasy, and not fried foods. Your ass will thank you.

the pizzas are pretty safe.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Lurker

Wow this thread rules. Thanks for all the tips. Every single one!

the post about the energy at coachella was perfect! it's so true. it's the happiest place on earth, in my opinion. thanks to all of the posters on here.. i learn something new on the forums every day

anyway, my tips for newcomers:
    -wear as little clothing as possible during the day (or as little as you're comfortable with.. because why go to a music fest if you're going to wear the same clothes as you would in real life?)
    -sunblock (multiple applications throughout the day)
    -toilet paper
    -snacks
    -power adapter for your car (possibly with a power strip, so multiple friends can plug their phones and camera chargers in at the same time)
    -socks for roller skating (for campers)
    -a back up pair of sunglasses and sandals (both of mine broke last year on friday)
    -fanny packs are SUPER convenient.. you don't have to carry a purse on a possibly-sunburnt shoulder
    -some type of water pistol/mister/fan combo gadget (your friends will thank you)
    -mini flashlight for campsite and toilets
    -portable mirror (more for girls than guys)
    -loads of hand sanitizer
    -sweatbands for your wrist/head
    -more water than you think is possibly necessary (my friend and i each drank a case last year)
    -plenty of layers for at night/going to bed in camping area (esp. if you get cold when you do drugs)

surprised nobody has mentioned:

earplugs. now some of you children might think "lol wtf earplugs? why go to a music festival if you can't hear anything!"

this is not the case with earplugs. they do not completely deafen you to the world. they simply reduce a lot of higher-end frequency noise that can do serious damage to your ears and premanently impair your ability to hear clearly. you can hear music perfectly well with earplugs in, and after a time you'll probably forget you're even using them.

i tend to wear them for the majority of my day for "lesser" acts and take them out at night for the big shows so i can enjoy them in all their brain damaging glory.

plus they'll help you sleep at night. big plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

For the ladies - a bottle or can of dry shampoo. Will absorb all the oil and sweat from your hair. Blondes can use baby powder in a pinch.
    My first novel, Darkhouse, has been published and is available here on Amazon. It has nothing to do with Coachella. Or vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbADubb View Post
    Blondes can use baby powder in a pinch.
    true. i'm a pet stylist and i use baby powder on greasy cats... i assume it's the same basic principle

thank you so much for this information! looks like i have some shopping to do!

Quote Originally Posted by fuck frankie View Post
    true. i'm a pet stylist and i use baby powder on greasy cats... i assume it's the same basic principle
    Do I even want to know?

SOCKS FOR ROLLERSKATING!! i didn't have that on my list.... thankyou thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleysmashley View Post
    the post about the energy at coachella was perfect! it's so true. it's the happiest place on earth, in my opinion. thanks to all of the posters on here.. i learn something new on the forums every day

anyway, my tips for newcomers:
    -wear as little clothing as possible during the day (or as little as you're comfortable with.. because why go to a music fest if you're going to wear the same clothes as you would in real life?)
    -sunblock (multiple applications throughout the day)
    -toilet paper
    -snacks
    -power adapter for your car (possibly with a power strip, so multiple friends can plug their phones and camera chargers in at the same time)
    -socks for roller skating (for campers)
    -a back up pair of sunglasses and sandals (both of mine broke last year on friday)
    -fanny packs are SUPER convenient.. you don't have to carry a purse on a possibly-sunburnt shoulder
    -some type of water pistol/mister/fan combo gadget (your friends will thank you)
    -mini flashlight for campsite and toilets
    -portable mirror (more for girls than guys)
    -loads of hand sanitizer
    -sweatbands for your wrist/head
    -more water than you think is possibly necessary (my friend and i each drank a case last year)
    -plenty of layers for at night/going to bed in camping area (esp. if you get cold when you do drugs)
    ^^these tips just make me soo much more excited everytime i read them. Keep 'em coming. 8 DAYS!!!

"23. Print out a set times schedule - keep it in your pocket (they will have schedules there, but don't spend forever looking for one)"

OR take a picture of it. then it wont get soggy and gross from sweat in your pockets.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    surprised nobody has mentioned:

earplugs. now some of you children might think "lol wtf earplugs? why go to a music festival if you can't hear anything!"

this is not the case with earplugs. they do not completely deafen you to the world. they simply reduce a lot of higher-end frequency noise that can do serious damage to your ears and premanently impair your ability to hear clearly. you can hear music perfectly well with earplugs in, and after a time you'll probably forget you're even using them.

i tend to wear them for the majority of my day for "lesser" acts and take them out at night for the big shows so i can enjoy them in all their brain damaging glory.

plus they'll help you sleep at night. big plus.
    /\/\/\
    WORD! I thought my brain was going to liquefy and pour out my ears during MBV's Aural Holocaust last year. Take a pair of earplugs just in case.

Another tip if you are camping...take something (e.g. a flag, a balloon, the bat signal) to mark your camping space. Last year coming out of the festival grounds at 1am, faded as hell, it took me over an hour to find my spot.

always take ear protection - always.

If you're old like me, you'll wanna hear shows in your 40's & 30's like you did in your 20's.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

Etymotic Hi-Fidelity ear plugs. Lowers the volume of music by around 20db but retains sound quality, replicates the ear's natural response. These things are awesome for $10

Without music, life would be a mistake.... I would only believe in a God who knew how to dance - Friedrich Nietzsche

Realize that your cell phone will lose battery power a lot more quickly than normal because it will desperately trying (and failing) to find a signal in a field full of lots of other phones jamming up the local towers.

Lurker

If you have gps/maps on your phone...save your campsite as a favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Realize that your cell phone will lose battery power a lot more quickly than normal because it will desperately trying (and failing) to find a signal in a field full of lots of other phones jamming up the local towers.
    yep
    and if possible, turn off 3G unless you actually need it