Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribou - Swim

Hybrid View

Default Caribou - Swim

One of the masters of organic soundscapes, Daniel Snaith, will release his follow-up to the amazing 2008 Polaris Prize winner Andorra on April 19, 2010. It is called Swim and many of us have already been listening to it for the past couple weeks.

My favorite track from it is "Bowls"

This thread is to discuss the album and subsequent tour supporting it. Here are the tour dates as of 3/22. Who is hitting up the LA show on 5/19?

Caribou - 2010 Tour Dates
    Apr 19 MANCHESTER - Deaf Institute
    Apr 20 LONDON - Corsica Studios
    Apr 21 AMSTERDAM - Paradiso
    Apr 22 BRUSSELS - Beursschouwburg
    Apr 23 PARIS - Le Point Ephemere
    Apr 24 LAUSANNE - Le Romandie
    Apr 25 ST. GALLEN - Palace
    Apr 26 MILAN - Magnolia
    Apr 27 MUNICH - Feierwerk
    Apr 28 BERLIN - Berghain
    Apr 29 HAMBURG - Prinzenbar
    Apr 30 AARHUS - Pop Revo Festival
    May 01 STOCKHOLM - Strand
    May 03 TORONTO, ON - Phoenix
    May 04 OTTAWA, ON - Babylon *
    May 05 MONTREAL, PQ - Tulipe
    May 06 BOSTON, MA - Middle East Downstairs
    May 07 BROOKLYN, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg ^ *
    May 08 NEW YORK, NY - Bowery Ballroom ^ *
    May 09 PHILADELPHIA, PA - First Unitarian
    May 10 WASHINGTON, DC - RNR Hotel
    May 11 CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - Jefferson *
    May 12 CHAPEL HILL, NC - Cat's Cradle
    May 13 ATLANTA, GA - Earl
    May 14 BATON ROUGE, LA - Spanish Moon *
    May 15 HOUSTON, TX - Warehouse Live Studio *
    May 16 AUSTIN, TX - Emo's
    May 18 PHOENIX, AZ - Clubhouse
    May 19 LOS ANGELES, CA - El Rey
    May 20 SAN DIEGO, CA - Casbah
    May 21 MEXICO CITY, MX - Teatro Fru Fru *
    May 24 SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Independent
    May 26 PORTLAND, OR - Hawthorne
    May 28 VICTORIA, BC - Sugar
    May 29 VANCOUVER, BC - Rickshaw
    May 30 GEORGE, WA - Sasquatch Festival
    May 31 CALGARY, AB - Republik *
    Jun 01 EDMONTON, AB - Starlite *
    Jun 02 SASKATOON, SK - Amigo's *
    Jun 03 WINNIPEG, MB - Royal Albert Arms *
    Jun 04 MINNEAPOLIS, MN - 7th St Entry
    Jun 05 DAVENPORT, IA - Rock Island Brewing Co. *
    Jun 07 ST. LOUIS, MO - Firebird *
    Jun 08 LOUISVILLE, KY - Zanzabar *
    Jun 09 CLEVELAND, OH - Grog Shop *
    Jun 10 HAMILTON, ON - Casbah $
    Jun 11 HALIFAX, NS - Paragon
    ^ with Hounds of Hate
    * with Toro y Moi
    $ with Vowls

Default Re: Caribou - Swim

thanks for the head's up. snagging this now.
    'all great things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks in order to inscribe themselves on the hearts of humanity.' nietzsche

yeah it's a fucking great album
    seeing them/him in NY

completely skipping me over. do not like.
    'all great things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks in order to inscribe themselves on the hearts of humanity.' nietzsche

i'm not sure what "skipping me over" means, shanx, but give it a few more listens. i didn't really take to it at first but it's a grower for sure. i think it's because i was expecting it to sound more like Andorra. but, unlike when other artists i like depart from their core sound, i'm cool with him going to a more dance-y, dark sound. i just can't wait to hear the new stuff live, cuz that's where Caribou shines. the dual-drummer trippy thing is just so sweet.

hopefully, they are still gonna play this jam.

and this one (both off Andorra).

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    i'm not sure what "skipping me over" means, shanx, but give it a few more listens. i didn't really take to it at first but it's a grower for sure. i think it's because i was expecting it to sound more like Andorra. but, unlike when other artists i like depart from their core sound, i'm cool with him going to a more dance-y, dark sound. i just can't wait to hear the new stuff live, cuz that's where Caribou shines. the dual-drummer trippy thing is just so sweet.

hopefully, they are still gonna play this jam.

and this one (both off Andorra).
    sorry about that. i was talking about the US part of the tour--NO denver!

the album makes my top... 15 of 2010 so far. it's good. but a little predictable, redundant; it still sounds like caribou but the vocals and the 'dancy' tone are a little less erratic than classic caribou/manitoba.

Quote Originally Posted by shanx View Post
    sorry about that. i was talking about the US part of the tour--NO denver!

the album makes my top... 15 of 2010 so far. it's good. but a little predictable, redundant; it still sounds like caribou but the vocals and the 'dancy' tone are a little less erratic than classic caribou/manitoba.
    just wait till you hear it live. it will all come together then. always does with "this guy."

and, you will get a show...convinced of it. maybe Mile High Fest?

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    just wait till you hear it live. it will all come together then. always does with "this guy."

and, you will get a show...convinced of it. maybe Mile High Fest?

i've been a fan a long time. UP IN FLAMES is probably my favorite of his though.

no luck on the MHF lineup as of yet. i guess it could pop up but i seriously doubt it.

well deserved bump at Swim is named P4K BNM.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14157-swim/

Completely agree. This is one of my favorites so far this year. At least in my top 3.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

It's probably my next Amazon order. I am currently ordering one disc at a time from importcds via amazon. Its an attempt to control spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

AAANNNNNDDD they're touring with toro y moi. win.

don't tell me what i should do
    i'll make sure he'll follow you
    leave house!

Yup, I'm really enjoying this album. It did take a couple listens to really grow on me, but now it's all good. My favorites are Odessa, Sun, Leave House and Hannibal...good stuff.

I'm going to check Caribou out at Sasquatch and at their Seattle headlining show and here's why:

This year will also see a dramatic difference in the Caribou live performance. Now that technology has finally caught up to Dans ambitions for the bands show, while it will still be four musicians on stage, the dynamic interplay between visuals, electronics and the live sound is totally pliable.

[Snaith says] "Now we can play the mix onstage like a dub mixer would - but even moreso than a Lee Perry because almost everything can be manipulated - not just the things that are controlled on a recording studio mixing desk. We can get that washing-around feeling and the unpredictability of sounds undergoing changes all the time. They say it takes a few years for the new century to kick in here we go."
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...u_-_new_a.html

Also, there will be a 2010 tour cd available at the shows:

* 1. Mix (47:02)
    * 2. Selfish Boy (5:16)
    * 3. Yusef (1:58)
    * 4. Cellophane (3:07)
    * 5. Sea Rea (3:45)
    * 6. Gebre (4:07)
    * 7. The Dauphin (4:36)

http://www.caribou.fm/index.php/rele.../tour_cd_2010/
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA
    12/16 HAERTS @ the Rickshaw Stop (?)
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

From p4k:

Sometimes musicians can be vague or protective about the creative process, but Caribou's Dan Snaith is refreshingly game to discuss and dissect his own work. It might be a result of his analytical background (he has a PhD in Mathematics) but mostly Snaith just seems curious by nature. He wants to figure out the mechanics behind things-- whether it's complicated recording techniques or how to properly do a forward crawl in a swimming pool.

His latest album, Swim, was partially inspired by doing just that-- learning to swim-- but it's hardly the most interesting thing about it. The record marks a shift away from the more neatly composed approach of 2007's Andorra to a looser, more propulsive style heavily influenced by dance music. It's maybe the most accessible Caribou record but still rich with ideas. We talked to Snaith about his recording process, his renewed interest in club culture, and what he calls "liquid dance music."

Pitchfork: You're originally from Canada, but you've been in London for some time now, right? What do you like about living there?

DS: Yeah, I've lived here for almost 10 years. Initially I came to do my PhD. Somebody described it as being an acquired taste, living in London. Most people just hate London and the UK more generally, but there's something exciting about how difficult and annoying it is to live here. It's got that kind of buzzy excitement of big cities in general.

Pitchfork: Your new record, Swim, has more of a dance-music influence than before. I was wondering if you go out much to clubs?

DS: I have been in the last couple of years. I guess just because I've met more people who are dance-music producers or whatever, and I've just been more interested in dance music in the last few years. I've just tended to go more clubs then I've gone to gigs, and have been DJing more in the last year or so than I have in a while.

Pitchfork: Each of your albums has kind of a distinct feeling from the one before it. Is that intentional or just organic?

DS:
    It just comes about organically out of the music or musical ideas that I'm excited by. Usually when I try and realize some kind of pre-conceived idea of what I'm going to do, it always comes out sounding ridiculous and contrived, and I have to just scrap it. So I just have to follow my nose; that seems to be the only way to have things work in a way that I like.

For me, Andorra was about songwriting and arranging and kind of switching my ideas into a pop format; getting that idea of narrative through the kind of graph of a song almost. You know, to shape it and have that pop form. Obviously it was kind of dressed up in 1960s psychedelic production sounds and techniques, which obviously I love a lot of that music. But I realized the last thing I want is people to be able to say, "Oh yeah, I get that guy. He just loves the 60s and has a collection of classic guitars, bellbottoms or whatever." That's not me at all, and I wanted with this album to really push the palette of the sounds-- the vocabulary of the sonic ideas-- to be really my own this time. Obviously be influenced by other things, but have it harder for people to say, "This music comes from this genre or era or whatever."

Pitchfork: How do your own listening habits affect those shifts in sound or tone, though? Was there anything you heard this time around that served as a jumping-off point?

DS: I have a tendency to be a kind of nerdy music fan. And hear a sound on and old or new record and think, "How is that made? How did they do that?" and want to learn how to do it and then do my own thing with it. It was less about that this time.

The one thread that came from Andorra, was that when I was making that album I was listening to James Holden's music a lot. All the sounds in his music are kind of constantly on the edge of disintegrating-- they're kind of building and falling apart in a way that seems like all the elements are alive. The last track on Andorra, "Niobe", was trying to kind of capture that same effect, of having all the sounds build and decay in a natural way. Listening back to that song, I thought that there were lots of ideas there that I could really push in different directions. Specifically this idea of having all the elements in the song be kind of liquid or fluid, sort of flowing from one ear to the other or appearing and then floating away again, crashing into one another, kind of interacting with each other in some way. Just having that be a guiding principle for the kind of aesthetic quality of the sounds.

Pitchfork:
    That sense of liquid movement certainly comes through on the album. How did you go about creating that sensation, recording-wise?

DS: It's really easy nowadays to play with parameters-- and the motion of certain sounds--that would've been harder to record in the past. To kind of play with a dial that controls the way a synthesizer sounds-- make it pan wildly back and forth-- and then you play it back next time and it remembers what you did and does the exact same thing. To do that to the pan or the amount of reverb coming in on a sound, or use it on the pitch, all sorts of things. I mean, these aren't new ideas but now the software allows you to play any parameter of any sound, even the ones that it wasn't possible to do that with before. Like the pitch of an instrument that's from some acoustic sound you sampled-- you can just mess around with it. All these parameters are up for grabs now, which is exciting, I think.

Pitchfork: Do these techniques lend to more of a headphone record, you think? Do you have a vision for how best it should be listened to?

DS: It's funny, when I started making music for this record, because I was going to clubs and DJing more, I thought, "Okay, I'm going to make two distinct piles of music. I'm going to make one pile over here that's just dance music, because I'm excited about that right now; I'll play it in my DJ sets or whatever. It isn't Caribou, it's never going to be released, it's just for fun. And over here in another pile I'm going to make another Caribou album that will have something that reminds people of other Caribou albums or whatever."

The inevitable thing that happened was the two streams of music mixed into one another. And the things I was most happy with were the parts [when] it wasn't obvious whether they were supposed to be played in the club or listened to at home. So I guess I'd love some of this music to be able to played in a club. Some of the tracks definitely make people dance, some of them would definitely not make people dance. A lot of the time the music I love the most is some weird mongrel that doesn't end up in one category or another-- it's somewhere in between.

Pitchfork: How has your recording process changed since Andorra? Before that album it was more sample- and loop-based, right?

DS: Yeah, up until then the music I made was always a loop and then another loop piled on top of it, then another loop, and at some point I'd kind of spread that out and sing over a little bit of it, and that was the way the tracks came together. Then with Andorra I realized that I love a lot of music that's really composed. You know, a song that's been really written from beginning to end, planned out in a meticulous way and doesn't develop out of loops. So I kind of tackled that thing, and this record is sort of a hybrid of those two styles.

Pitchfork:
    When you're in the looping stage, where does that music come from? Is it usually samples or sounds you're playing yourself?

DS: On Andorra there was a lot of me playing, say, a bass guitar all the way through a song. There's very little of that this time. For example, the track "Bowls" is made up of this percussive sound of these two Tibetan bowls that I got when I spent a month in southwest China last year. I got these two singing bowls and I was just hitting them, like, that's an interesting sound, even though that's not what you're supposed to do with them. And I sampled those two notes in and kind of mapped them out onto a keyboard. And that's kind of the benefit of the current ease of working with music technology. Once you've sampled those sounds, you can treat them like they're the input on a synthesizer. You can change the filter, the angle, you can change all these things that you associate with a synthesized sound. So a lot of the sounds are kind of a hybrid of sampling one note from something and then turning it into an instrument in kind of a synthesized way.

Pitchfork: So Swim feels distinctly Caribou in a lot of ways, but I'm also picking up on a heavy Arthur Russell vibe at times. Is he somebody you like or admire?

DS: Definitely. Maybe the most obvious manifestation of his influence wasn't intentional at all is kind of the voice in "Odessa". A lot of people are like, "That sounds a lot like Arthur Russell's voice," or whatever. I love Arthur Russell's voice, so that's fine!

He's rightly become a hero in the last few years. But for me the most interesting thing about him is that he kind of stood in this nexus between dance music and 20th century classical, folk music, kind of 80s pop music. And he was really fluent in all these kinds of ideas and musics. That's the thing that I find most exciting about him. And! And he did a record with a teenage Vin Diesel. Somebody needs to interview Vin Diesel to see if he remembers that. It's funny because he pops up in all this New York avant classical music. Like he appears on this composer Elodie Lauten's music, and this guy Peter Zummo, one of his albums. But Vin Diesel, that's some next-level shit. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Pitchfork:
    I tend to think of your records as albums in the classic sense, to be listened to front to back. Do you still feel strongly about the album experience in the MP3 era?

DS: Yeah, it's important to me with regard to my own music. I'm a dinosaur in that sense, I still think of things in terms of albums. This could just be my perspective being out of touch, but it seems like a resilient idea. It seems like there will be a desire to have some kind of longer format for certain types of musical ideas. We'll see. One interesting thing for me was getting interested in dance music again over the last few years-- it's been a while that I've been paying this much attention to dance music all the time. And there, somebody like James Holden, talking to him, he wants to think in terms of albums, but the whole kind of dance music thinks in terms of individual tracks. You know, if a dance music producer puts out one big track a year, then that's a productive year or whatever. That world thinks about music in a very different way. But with regard to my own music, it seemed like there was potential at least to make a hybrid that kind of worked in both ways.

Pitchfork: Outside of Holden, what's been the dance music that's been most appealing to you these days?

DS: I guess part of it was going to see Theo Parrish every month in London. He made a couple of records in the last year I thought were amazing, but just going to see him DJ, being in that kind of sonic environment and seeing the connection between all the music that informs the music that he makes. And I kind of thought about how liberating dance music is in the following sense: somebody like Villalobos, whose music sometimes I find hit and miss. The more kind of strictly minimal stuff I can take or leave. But one of his biggest tracks is this is cut up of a Christian Vander recording of a children's choir and piano, looped for like 20 minutes ["Enfants (Chants)"-- Ed]. Like the same kind of repetitive thing.

And I love this idea that some people think of dance music as being very restrictive-- you have to this kind of beat, a certain range beats per minute, and blah blah blah. But it's almost like, if you satisfy those requirements, then anything else goes. The dance music that I like-- Holden or Theo Parrish, Villalobos or Carl Craig, some of the weirder, newer dubstep people-- it's quite liberating to think that as long as the music's rhythmic and propulsive in a certain way, then I can put Tibetan bowls and a harp in this track and I can still play it in a club. I really like that idea.

Pitchfork: So back to the record, I know you were taking swimming lessons at the time, which is reflected in the title. Did that lend to the sort of "liquid" quality of the album at all?

DS: Yeah, I don't know how connected these two ideas are. The one, to make dance music that had elements with properties of fluids. And then of course I was taking swim lessons and spending a lot of time underwater and immersed in fluid.

But for example, one small thing that occurred to me was learning to do a front crawl properly, which is something I've never been able to do before. Your ears kind of rock back and forth-- first one ear comes out of the water, then both are underwater, then the other comes out of the water. And everybody's familiar with how the sonic sense is different underwater and above water, and so you're in this weird kind of sonic space that rocks back and forth. And I thought, that's an interesting idea to do that with some sounds on the record. In one ear, the sound is very crisp and clear, and in the other it's kind of reverb-y or echo-y, and then it oscillates back and switches the other way around. So that's maybe one example of how the swimming was an influence.

Pitchfork:
    So could you not swim at all before taking these lessons?

DS: I wasn't afraid of water. In fact, I even had a swimming pool when I was growing up. I could do basically a glorified doggie paddle, barely swimming with my head above water. But I never enjoyed it. Now that I can do it somewhat properly, I can get a kind a low-budget quality of the gracefulness of how it's supposed to be. Like you're floating along rather than me struggling to keep afloat or struggling to get to the other side. And now it's something enjoyable, and I've become kind of obsessed with it. It's become a good distraction for me. Basically, going swimming and going to clubs occasionally is the only times I leave the house when I'm at home.

Pitchfork: You're friends with Kieran Hebden from Four Tet, and I was wondering if you guys ever bounce ideas off one another or if there's any friendly competition between you?

DS:
    Definitely, we go back and forth creatively. Kieran's the person who started getting my music released, so right from the beginning he's been involved in my music. But we see eye-to-eye on musical things, and everything-- we're just really good friends. We live only a couple of minutes from one another. The first person that I'd play an unfinished track to-- apart from my wife, who has to hear all this crap thousands of times over-- would be Kieran, and vice-versa, I'd be the first person to hear the music that he's working on. And if we hear somebody else's record that we're really excited about, the first person we'd call would be each other to be like, "Have you heard this?"

So it's not a sense of competition at all. From my perspective, I feel like I'm making music as a kind of loner. I'm not part of a scene; I'm locked away in my room doing my own thing. It's about me kind of tinkering around, discovering things. It's very much a solitary process for the most part. Kieran and a few other people-- Junior Boys, Fuck Buttons-- I get that sense of camaraderie that I imagine that a lot of bands in a scene maybe have that sense of "we're all kind of in it together." The only place that I get that is from Kieran and close friends like that, which is really nice. We're both constantly so excited about various musical things.
    http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7785-caribou/
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

i'm listening to the Tour CD now. it's allright, but i can see why these didn't make the Swim cut.

i can't wait to see them again. as a matter of fact, i'm going to buy my tic for the LA show right now. anyone else going to that one?

Here is a very good live Leave House:

http://soundcloud.com/inadvisable/ca...ave-house-live
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

Awesome interview. I've become even more appreciative of his analytic nature by reading this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    What a weird knee that woman has but I do like the crocs ...

NPR is doing a live stream of the Caribou and Toro Y Moi show in DC today. It begins at 5:30pm PST here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126527798
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

Can't...get...enough...of...album. Swim is continously interesting after many multiple listens. Fave tracks are Odessa (pretty sure the chorus is "chicken steak"), Sun, and Leave House.

An inspired record. I will be seeing in Seattle few nights before Sasquatch so I don't have to be there at noon on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by audidude View Post
    Can't...get...enough...of...album. Swim is continously interesting after many multiple listens. Fave tracks are Odessa (pretty sure the chorus is "chicken steak"), Sun, and Leave House.

An inspired record. I will be seeing in Seattle few nights before Sasquatch so I don't have to be there at noon on Saturday.
    Good choice, the interactive lighting element that Caribou is touring with, won't be in use during their daytime set at Sasquatch, which is partly why my Sasquatch party will be at Neumos too.
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    NPR is doing a live stream of the Caribou and Toro Y Moi show in DC today. It begins at 5:30pm PST here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126527798
    been listening to this but it keeps dropping out (and, frankly, sounds like shit). but, Dan and the boys really do seem to be on their game from what i can discern. maybe it will be better once they have the file and begin streaming it.

can't wait for their show!

EDIT: oh, "After Hours" was so good. god that is such a great live track!
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 05-10-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Even with the sound getting flattened during travel through the intertube, they're on point. Like. Looking forward to the 27th.

*Crowd seems to be into it too.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 05-10-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Very good sh!t. My connection only cut-out once, but the levels did fluctuate at the beginning of each song.

I'm glad that the setlist is so Swim heavy, since it's my favorite Caribou album This show is going to benefit immensely from Neumos' bad-ass soundsystem
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'm on my first listen. I've never heard anything by the band before and i'm liking this a lot. Bowls, Leave House and Jamelia were stand outs. Now to see where they fit in on the Sasquatch schedule and they are playing some small shitty ass venue locally as well.
    Last edited by faxman75; 05-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.

I also caught most of Toro Y Moi's opening set. It wasn't bad. Side-note, he is now touring with a band, instead of trying to do everything himself up there.

Edit:

The Phoenix show is on my B-Day, so you should totally go Faxy, plus they have a real short set at Sasquatch and it's the first main-stage set of the day as well.

Edit2:

Last edited by fikus222; 05-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

The Phoenix show is on my B-Day, so you should totally go Faxy, plus they have a real short set at Sasquatch and it's the first main-stage set of the day as well.
    I will definitely see them at Sasquatch but if I can find the cash I will try to hit up the local show as well. It's just not looking likely since it's next week and i'm broke.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I will definitely see them at Sasquatch but if I can find the cash I will try to hit up the local show as well. It's just not looking likely since it's next week and i'm broke.
    It's all those Roger Waters tickets, they've gotcha tapped out

Nah, we'll be front and center for their Mainstage set too. I'm sure the Gorge's soundsystem will do Caribou justice.
    11/28 Dixon @ TBA

It's all those Roger Waters tickets, they've gotcha tapped out
    Pretty much. lol

Nah, we'll be front and center for their Mainstage set too. I'm sure the Gorge's soundsystem will do Caribou justice.
    Nice. I had nothing else going on that early so it works out well.

yeah, i caught most of TyM too. don't know if it was the sound of the stream, but i thought he/they sounded pretty crappy. i think his solo set a month or so that i saw sounded better. dunno...his whole live act just feels really karaoke to me.