Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 6364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2718

Thread: Official 2010 Kanye West Thread

Default Re: Official 2010 Kanye West Thread

♪♫ Laaaa la la la -- wait 'til I get my soundcheck right ♫♪

Oh boy. Seems Kanye West does more than just blog in all caps -- he apparently soundchecks extra loud, too, and that did not go over well this past weekend.

The hip-hop star was in Australia to headline a set at the Big Day Out festival Sunday, but bad weather reportedly delayed his set. When Kanye finally took the stage 45 minutes late for his soundcheck, according to news.co.au, it was so loud that it disrupted the performances on neighboring stages -- including that of Soundgarden.

With Kanye's tunes spilling onto the band's mainstage performance, Soundgarden fans started booing, according to news.co.au. Frontman Chris Cornell was irked as well and didn't hide his frustration.

"Sounds like there’s children playing music there, retarded children, retarded as in held back," the singer said to fans. "There’s no other word for it."

Yikes. Perhaps not the best choice of words, regardless of the level of frustration.

Rainy conditions, upset fans ... it's enough to get many performers a bit grumpy. But could the situation have been avoided?

According to Australia's Courier Mail, it wasn't really the rain that delayed Kanye's set. It was because the hip-hop star didn't want to share the spotlight with Tony Hawk. The skateboarding great was supposed to show off his moves at 6:30 p.m., but according to the Courier Mail, his performance was delayed for about two hours by a real downpour that made skating conditions dangerous. Kanye was originally scheduled to begin at 8:30 p.m.

Whatever the reason for the tardy set, Kanye's delay was "unheard of in BDO history," according to Coast Confidential.

THE GOAT

Jay-Z, backed by an orchestra conducted by Jeri Lynne Johnson and a band, the Illadelphonics, featuring the drummer Questlove of the Roots, performed a sold-out benefit concert on Monday night.

By JON CARAMANICA
    Published: February 7, 2012

At the far left tip of the first balcony at Carnegie Hall Monday night were two men losing their minds: expensive seats, beautiful suits, slicked-back hair, arms pumping enthusiastically to every song performed by the night’s headliner, Jay-Z.

Fans of disposable income — earning it, spending it, rapping about it, listening to someone rap about it — had much to cheer about during this concert, the highest-profile hip-hop show ever at Carnegie Hall.

And there was also the matter of the income disposal, or in this case, donation: this concert was the first of a pair (the second is Tuesday night) benefitting the United Way of New York City and the Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation, the charity founded by Jay-Z and whose president and chief executive is his mother, Gloria Carter. Most tickets cost several hundred dollars; on the resale market, some were listed for more than $1,000.

It all made for a fascinating cross section of wealth in the city: tweed suits and strapless dresses, T-shirts and tuxedos, Louboutins and at least one Giants jersey. And of course Jay-Z, who began the night in a white Tom Ford dinner jacket, a diamond Cartier pin on the lapel. "Check out my tux, man/ Peep the way I wear it," he rapped on "Public Service Announcement," modifying the line from the "hat" in the original.

"All those lines that divide us," he told the crowd early in the night, "we gonna step on them."

Dark glasses were hiding what were probably excited eyes. Because for all of Jay-Z’s steely cool and expert control, this was something new. Filling Madison Square Garden is old hat by now, but ascending to one of New York’s most hallowed stages without soft-pedaling his act is another thing altogether. Backed by an orchestra conducted by Jeri Lynne Johnson (of the Black Pearl Chamber Orchestra), and also the Illadelphonics, an ensemble featuring Questlove of the Roots and the singer Bilal among others, Jay-Z proved that the Carnegie stage is agnostic.

That meant songs about drug dealing, about growing up impoverished, about questionable behavior toward women, about triumphing over adversity through hustle and capitalism. Mostly he stuck to mid- and late-career hits, the songs that made him something more than just the most important rapper in New York, from the sugary "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)" and "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" to the booming "U Don’t Know" and "Run This Town" to the aggressive "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" and "99 Problems." His most contemplative moment came on "Most Kingz," which he began a capella. "See Jesus, see Judas/ See Caesar, see Brutus/ See success is like suicide," he rapped, adding, "Every step you take they remind you you ghetto."

More than any of his peers, Jay-Z understands the cultural politics of infiltration, and as he gets older, he’s made it more the subject of his music. Taking over an institution like this, he didn’t take lightly. And he brought fellow crashers. The only guests, whether by design or not, were fellow New Yorkers: Alicia Keys, who was thunderous on "Empire State of Mind," which came after the orchestra and band played a medley of New York songs, including Gil Scott-Heron’s chilling "New York Is Killing Me." That was followed by "N.Y. State of Mind," for which Jay-Z brought out onetime nemesis Nas, who was catching his breath on both that song and "If I Ruled The World," on which Ms. Keys sang the Lauryn Hill part. Fellow Brooklynite the Notorious B.I.G. also got a nod, with Jay-Z rapping a bit of "Gettin’ Money (The Get Money Remix)."

One more New Yorker received a tribute during this show: Blue Ivy Carter, the first child of Jay-Z and his wife Beyoncé, who was born at Lenox Hill Hospital last month. Near the end of the night, Jay-Z performed "Glory," which he recorded as a tribute just after her birth. It was a knockout, sounding like a Sinatra standard, and a worthy addition to the gentle, adult-oriented part of his catalog. "I didn’t think I was gonna make it through that one. That one was tough," he said afterward — especially immediately following "Song Cry," one of the most affecting songs he’s ever recorded.

Jay-Z made sure to acknowledge friends in attendance: "I’d like to give a special shout-out to Liza Minnelli in the house tonight." And his concessions to the room were small — say, cutting "whitey" from the Pimp C verse on "Big Pimpin’." Plus, he was cognizant that the audience might have included some people who didn’t have album-cut familiarity, telling his D.J., Young Guru, who dropped the buoyant beat for "So Ghetto" during the encore, "That might be a little too deep."

By this point Jay-Z had made his way to the balcony, settling in next to the two men who’d been vibrating at a high frequency throughout the show. He’d changed into a black T-shirt and gold chain, and he ran through snippets of a few more songs, including some from his 1996 debut album, "Reasonable Doubt," the first time he touched it all night. He was giddy and gregarious, as if barely believing the scene. He rapped most of the encore, one quick hit after the next, with his hand on the shoulder of one of the two balcony revelers. Whatever that guy paid, it wasn’t enough.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Nice. Waiting for some good youtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Excellent.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Sooo, Shakira signed with Roc Nation's management team.

Also, Watch the Throne European tour dates announced.

5/20/12 - The O2, London
    6/11/12 - Manchester Arena, Manchester
    6/13/12 - LG Arena Birmingham, Birmingham

So he just released a new single and everybody knows he's dating Kim Kardashian.
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

"Tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor"

http://kanyewest.com/

1st single off the G.O.O.D Music album drops tomorrow. Mercy (Kanye, Pusha T, Big Sean, 2Chainz)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

"I'll admit I had fell in love with Kim, round the same time she had fell in love with him...Well that's cool baby girl do your thang, lucky I ain't have Jay drop him from the team"

I would rather wait for the non radio version, that doesnt have the dj and airhorns every 3 seconds.

Kanye Announces Cruel Summer Film & Album

In a press release it was revealed that Mr. West’s upcoming G.O.O.D. Music compilation will be called Cruel Summer, and a film inspired by it will debut May 23 in Cannes.

After the premiere, the flick will be open for public access for the next two days. Tickets will be available here.

Yo, you should change the OP and take the year out of the name of this thread ;-)

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Finally Live in Paris! 11 times? What's the record?

10/3 M.A.N.D.Y. @ ?
    10/4 Liars/The Blood Brothers @ Summerstage
    10/4 KiNK/Atom™/Tin Man @ Output
    10/5 The Blood Brothers @ Warsaw

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

That's the new record. Old record was 10 in LA

Cot dayum do I wanna see The Throne again.

"The song is not called niggas in LA"

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    That's the new record. Old record was 10 in LA
    They did 11 in Vancouver to end the NA tour.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

sorry, but this is so fucking stupid.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I would have been so pissed if I had gone to that show... like why do they think it'd be cool to play it 11 times in a row? Playing ANY song 11 times in a row is fucking dumb. Fuckin' egos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Penguin View Post
    I would have been so pissed if I had gone to that show... like why do they think it'd be cool to play it 11 times in a row? Playing ANY song 11 times in a row is fucking dumb. Fuckin' egos.
    It's the encore. Leave. They played a full set before, why would you be pissed? And the majority of people who did see this live (myself included) enjoyed the shit out of it.
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I wonder if the niggas in Paris enjoy the song Niggas in Paris?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

The crowd erupted every time they played it. Definitely a "had to be there" thing IMO

^This. Exactly. I took video at the Vancouver show of the first time they played it, the 4th time, and the 7th time and the results were pretty hilarious. The first time everyone was just excited they were playing it. The 4th time people seemed to be confused and definitely not as into it. The 7th time was when everyone went "FUCK IT!" and decided to go up apeshit. People in the belcony were jumping up and down. Some people were annoyed and left... but the majority of the crowd was 100% into the pure insanity that is the Niggas In Paris marathon. You just have to realize and accept what is happening is batshit crazy, let go of all your inhibitions... and just go H.A.M.

Personally, I think it is one of the most biazzare things I have ever witnessed live and it is also one of my favorite concert memories of all time. It really was pure insanity.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

You know what will really be crazy? When they play it TWELVE times.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by Ride a Tire! View Post
    It's the encore. Leave. They played a full set before, why would you be pissed? And the majority of people who did see this live (myself included) enjoyed the shit out of it.
    This. It was a fucking party. The crowd eats it up every single night they do it. Ending your show with a non-stop dance party is a pretty damn good idea. I saw the Vegas show and had the time of my life at that show. So much god damn fun. If ending the show this way would make someone angry, they are at the wrong god damned show.

<------ Has yet to hear someone say this is stupid and also own a ticket to one show on the WTT tour