Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Default Re: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Begging for money for Cancer Research plays on the public's guilt and ignorance and puts scientific priorities in the hands of the unkowledgable. There are ways that scientific research in this country are funded, be it astronomy or lymphoma. Grant applications, vetting processes, scientific oversight, etc. It's an intelligent system and it works. Going directly to the public is just a ploy by certain research groups to get even more money out of the public than the academic community believes is warranted. You can tell it smells funny because the appeals never deal in hard facts, instead they make emotional appeals to make you feel like a bad person if you don't give. The original poster's paragraph is a prime example of that. She/he makes it sound like it's our fault if our grandpa dies of cancer because we didn't contribute to her/his little bike ride.

What you don't see out of these fundraisers is facts. You don't see discussion of, here's the amount of cancer research funding available from the government, here's the amount available from trusts and foundations, etc., here's what it goes to, here's where the shortfall is which is why we are appealing to you, etc. You know, presenting something that sounds more down to earth and less like an advertising spiel.

Ultimately, that's how these fundraisers strike me -- they want my money the same way that McDonald's or Budweiser or Toyota want my money. Because they want to keep their jobs and grow their enterprise.
    bumped for starraven.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Maybe instead of riding a bike you should become a fucking scientist.
    I got to this post and I've given up already. What's the reason to debate you about awareness rallies/fundraisers/walk-a-thon/bikeride/bakesale/marathons anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Coachella Junkie

Put 2010 in its place.

Did she confuse Monklish with TomAz? That hasn't happened in a while.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

To be fair TomAz confused himself with jackstraw94086 in the first place.

I just meant that this thread is full of enough tard. It doesn't need me adding to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Let him keep going. His one-man fistfight choreography is usually incredible.

This thread is a cancer. I hate smug bike riders as much as the next guy, but I also think it's silly to "contribute to the cure for cancer by becoming a scientist or getting a job to donate money" instead of doing cancer awareness activities. If I had a job, I'd contribute to myself. And if I was a scientist, I'd bring back dinosaurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Any specific dinosaur? I would want to bring back the Stegosaurus, that's always been my favorite.

I think I'd bring back a Triceratops. And I'd create Cancer Awareness Triceratops Racing. And also, I'd create Extreme Mountain Triceratops Destruction Derbies.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Then I'd have to create a Save the Triceratops campaign.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

This was a really entertaining read that I had previously slept on. Team Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i was trying to find the name of a medicine my doctor mentioned today, and i googled "breast cancer" and "awareness" was the first thing to pop up. i think we're aware by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

i'm also holding a masturbatory marathon to raise awareness about endometriosis tonight. donations strongly encouraged.

Don't you have work in the morning?

I think I may be being too subtle. I'm implying that you're going to touch yourself for quite some time in the name of charity.

thank you for raising awareness about working a job to earn money. without supporters like you, i'd be lost.

Please give.....what a fucking joke.

TOP 25 COMPENSATION PACKAGES
    The salary information below was calculated by adding the IRS Form 990 categories of “Compensation,” “Contributions to employee benefit plans,” and “Expense accounts and other allowances.” Not included are any benefits received but not reported in the charity’s IRS Form 990.
    When information is given only on the national headquarters and the charity does not include its affiliates in its financial statements, “National Office” or “N.O.” appears after the group’s name.

This table was published in the August 2011 issue of AIP's Charity Rating Guide & Watchdog Report.

NOTE: AIP grades are not based on the salary ranges reported in the IRS form 990. DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE WAY SALARIES MIGHT BE ALLOCATED, HIGH SALARIES DO NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE INEFFICIENCIES JUST AS LOW SALARIES ARE NOT ALWAYS A PLUS.

Harold Varmus, M.D., Past President/CEO Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
    $2,557,403
    William Barram, Past National VP, Division Services American Cancer Society
    $2,428,592
    Includes $1,096,232 in supplemental executive retirement plan and $866,041 deferred compensation. CEO John Seffrin earned $1,316,356, including $386,562 in deferred compensation.
    Edward J. Benz, M.D., President
    Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Jimmy Fund
    $1,233,800
    Robert J. Mazzuca, Chief Scout Executive Boy Scouts of America - N.O.
    $1,211,572
    Thomas C. Nelson, Past Ex-Officio/Past COO AARP Foundation & AARP, respectively
    $1,176,614
    Includes a separation payment of $682,285. The full amount of Thomas Nelson's compensation was paid by AARP, not AARP Foundation.
    Robert J. Beall, President/CEO Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
    $1,098,945
    Harry Johns, President/CEO Alzheimer's Association
    $1,065,524
    Includes $392,218 retirement and other deferred compensation.
    Gail McGovern, President/CEO American Red Cross
    $1,032,022
    Includes a one-time reimbursement of $473,570 for relocation costs to work at the national headquarters.
    Ernest Allen, President/CEO National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
    $1,028,533
    Includes $422,337 retirement and other deferred compensation, of which $330,944 is a catch-up amount for underfunded retirement benefits in previous years.
    Edwin J. Feulner, President Heritage Foundation
    $989,634
    Wayne LaPierre, Executive VP/Ex-Officio National Rifle Association & Foundation, respectively
    $970,588
    Christopher DeMuth, Past President American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
    $939,059
    Includes $528,972 in supplemental executive retirement plan payments.
    Steven E. Sanderson, President/CEO Wildlife Conservation Society
    $927,534
    Michael L. Lomax, President/CEO United Negro College Fund (UNCF/The College Fund)
    $877,582
    Includes $686,080 in retirement funds for 5 full years of service.
    Joseph V. Haggerty, COO

United Way Worldwide
    $864,875
    Includes $318,578 SERP imputed income.
    Jonathan W. Simons, M.D., President/CEO

Prostate Cancer Foundation
    $850,188
    Alan J. Lewis, Past President/CEO Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
    $813,732
    Joseph Krajbich, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgeon Shriners Hospitals for Children
    $807,917
    Includes $401,435 retirement and other deferred compensation.
    Howard Rieger, President/CEO Jewish Federations of North America
    $801,866
    William E. Evans, Director/CEO St. Jude Children's Research Hospital/ALSAC
    $795,538
    James E. Williams, Jr., CEO Easter Seals
    $781,000
    Rabbi Marvin Hier, President/CEO Simon Wiesenthal Center
    $759,026
    Shulamith Bahat, Past Associate Executive Director American Jewish Committee
    $706,563
    Includes $530,798 deferred compensation and retirement payments in respect to 50 weeks salary and accrued vacation.
    Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, President

International Fellowship of Christians & Jews
    $696,737
    Abraham H. Foxman, National Director Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith
    $689,398

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I think I'd bring back a Triceratops. And I'd create Cancer Awareness Triceratops Racing. And also, I'd create Extreme Mountain Triceratops Destruction Derbies.
    I got to this post and I've given up already. What's the reason to debate you about the lameness of Triceratops anyway? WHY BOTHER? You are the worst, Tom.

Ptaradactyl4lyfe.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me