Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Default Re: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i think it's extremely strange to come onto a message board of people you don't interact with regularly and ask them to send money directly to your home address.
    Where is my home address? Never asked for a check, at least gets some facts straight.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Default Re: Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

Hey guys. I ride a stationary bike at home sometimes. Mail me a check, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    mm yes randy. for people like you...you need insentives like....cookies, to donate to a cancer fund.. cause lord knows no one ever get a sense of satisfaction and or a good feeling for donating whatever amount to a good cause Jackass
    My point is that it's rude to people to put them in the position. If you don't donate, then you look/feel like an asshole. But why should someone be putting you on the spot to fork up some money on this ridiculous flimsy premise? Why the fuck should I care that he's riding a bike? What he's doing does absolutely nothing for nobody. Why not kill two birds with one stone and actually do something productive while raising money?

Donating money in exchange for nothing is certainly a kind gesture. What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something. Doing these races is just an easy way to try to guilt a bunch of people into all coughing up dough for what's little more than a half a day's work that benefits no one. If you really want to raise some fucking money, go out and donate your services, something you actually SHOULD be paid for and are forsaking payment in the name of your devotion. Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by erikua View Post
    Where is my home address? Never asked for a check, at least gets some facts straight.
    you just changed your website to now show an e-mail address where people can contact you for information on how to submit a check. stop playing dumb.

and i'm done with this. if people want to pay for you to go bike riding, have at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Well where is the link?

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    I actually spend 8 hours a day working on a cure for cancer. Riding a bike ain't doing shit. Randy is right on this one, There are more productive things you can do to raise money for cancer research than riding a bike.
    Thanks AlecEiffel for your work. I'm just trying to do my part to keep the funds coming so you can continue your research. Perhaps more productive ways sure, but if you are involved in this you should know the severity of the disease, the cuts by the Feds on research and simply how much funds are needed. What ever method funds get to the researchers, I really don't care. If you lost someone to this illness, perhaps you wouldn't care either. Just my small small part as 1 of 300 million Americans.

does the smug attitude give you any idea why we're jumping on this, jen?

Know how you do charity right? Paul Newman. Newman didn't just ask people to donate money because (a) it's impolite and (b) you raise much more money if you actually offer something in exchange. So he started companies that make delicious salad dressings and donated all the proceeds to charity. That way people could be giving money even if they weren't necessarily charitable. That way they didn't have to choose between giving money and buying food if they didn't have much disposable income.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Just saying....
    Thank you. It's a shame that you have to even argue or deal with the bullshit this board is full of just to offer or ask for people to join in on the fight against something so prevalent as Cancer, isn't it? My condolences for your loss, and my apologies for the ignorance exibited by others here.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Thank you. It's a shame that you have to even argue or deal with the bullshit this board is full of just to offer or ask for people to join in on the fight against something so prevalent as Cancer, isn't it? My condolences for your loss, and my apologies for the ignorance exibited by others here.
    There was a much better way to go about asking people here for money. It has nothing to do with ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

My point is that it's rude to people to put them in the position. If you don't donate, then you look/feel like an asshole. But why should someone be putting you on the spot to fork up some money on this ridiculous flimsy premise? Why the fuck should I care that he's riding a bike? What he's doing does absolutely nothing for nobody. Why not kill two birds with one stone and actually do something productive while raising money?

Donating money in exchange for nothing is certainly a kind gesture. What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something. Doing these races is just an easy way to try to guilt a bunch of people into all coughing up dough for what's little more than a half a day's work that benefits no one. If you really want to raise some fucking money, go out and donate your services, something you actually SHOULD be paid for and are forsaking payment in the name of your devotion. Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.

It shouldnt feel like a guilt trip at all though. That's your problem if you feel guilty. Dont blame someone just for asking. You know how many charities I turn down? My mom is a survivor of breast cancer. And I dont always donate when people ask for a donation towards cancer, and rarely do i ever for that matter....so who gives a shit. dont be such a pussy Randy. No reason to feel guilty.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    I actually spend 8 hours a day working on a cure for cancer. Riding a bike ain't doing shit. Randy is right on this one, There are more productive things you can do to raise money for cancer research than riding a bike.
    I like how all of you are ignoring the input of the one motherfucker on here actually doing cancer research.

One way to help is Folding@home. It is software that goes on your PS3 or home computer. It is for folding proteins which takes up an incredible amount of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Know how you do charity right? Paul Newman. Newman didn't just ask people to donate money because (a) it's impolite and (b) you raise much more money if you actually offer something in exchange. So he started companies that make delicious salad dressings and donated all the proceeds to charity. That way people could be giving money even if they weren't necessarily charitable. That way they didn't have to choose between giving money and buying food if they didn't have much disposable income.
    Hahaha ok now you're comparing Coachella Boardies to Paul Newman. you suck at this
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something.

Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.
    It's all energy and time, sometimes that's all that people can offer.

Wow! Seriously? Some one is asking for funds to go to Coachella yet I'm being hounded for this like I unplugged the power in the Sahara Saturday night?!?!?!? It's ok.. the cause is larger than any words exchanged on here.
    Some of these people are too far above that thought process. They believe they're invincible or something...That is until they're laid up in a hospital with some bloood clot or soemthing. Then their tune changes. Doesn't it, Randy?

i know, right? if only monklish would bike ride for a useful cause!
    As long as he does the ride smack in the middle of a busy freeway, I'm all for it.

How hard is it for any of you bitching about this to just say, "I'm sorry, but I can't donate right now?" No, instead, you'd rather instigate another lame- assed attack on somebody making a kind gesture. If that's what it takes to make you guys feel better about yourselves, we'll remember that for when you may need a cure for yoiur Cancer or healthcare in the future. Fuck.

If a cure for cancer is discovered than the pharmaceutical companies will loose money on the outrageously-priced extended cancer treatments and subsequent remission treatments. What are you, a communist?

does the smug attitude give you any idea why we're jumping on this, jen?
    I happen to know the guy personally. I suspect you're taking his defensiveness for smugness. He's not smug; he's honestly trying to just raise money through an organization. It's not like he's doing this on his own. If you don't want to dontate, don't. And don't feel guilty about it. I can't contribute right now and I don't feel guilty about it. And, I would think your objection to the way funds are bring raised would be with the company organizing the bike ride, not the individual.

If he had asked, I would have advised him against posting it on the board. I mean, I realize we're all mostly assholes on here, but Christ.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 03-17-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    If a cure for cancer is discovered than the pharmaceutical companies will loose money on the outrageously-priced extended cancer treatments and subsequent remission treatments. What are you, a communist?
    I get that you're joking, but big pharma would actually love a "cure". They would most likely be the one's dispensing it and it would be just as outrageously priced.

Begging for money for Cancer Research plays on the public's guilt and ignorance and puts scientific priorities in the hands of the unkowledgable. There are ways that scientific research in this country are funded, be it astronomy or lymphoma. Grant applications, vetting processes, scientific oversight, etc. It's an intelligent system and it works. Going directly to the public is just a ploy by certain research groups to get even more money out of the public than the academic community believes is warranted. You can tell it smells funny because the appeals never deal in hard facts, instead they make emotional appeals to make you feel like a bad person if you don't give. The original poster's paragraph is a prime example of that. She/he makes it sound like it's our fault if our grandpa dies of cancer because we didn't contribute to her/his little bike ride.

What you don't see out of these fundraisers is facts. You don't see discussion of, here's the amount of cancer research funding available from the government, here's the amount available from trusts and foundations, etc., here's what it goes to, here's where the shortfall is which is why we are appealing to you, etc. You know, presenting something that sounds more down to earth and less like an advertising spiel.

Ultimately, that's how these fundraisers strike me -- they want my money the same way that McDonald's or Budweiser or Toyota want my money. Because they want to keep their jobs and grow their enterprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

so instead of spamming message boards for other people's money (who probably don't have much more than him) & doing arbitrary activities like going bike riding, instead get a job or produce a product to raise said money. that's all i'm saying. he's raised what, $400 so far? work a minimum wage part time job at 20 hours a week and raise the same amount in a month.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 03-17-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Begging for money for Cancer Research plays on the public's guilt and ignorance and puts scientific priorities in the hands of the unkowledgable. There are ways that scientific research in this country are funded, be it astronomy or lymphoma. Grant applications, vetting processes, scientific oversight, etc. It's an intelligent system and it works. Going directly to the public is just a ploy by certain research groups to get even more money out of the public than the academic community believes is warranted. You can tell it smells funny because the appeals never deal in hard facts, instead they make emotional appeals to make you feel like a bad person if you don't give. The original poster's paragraph is a prime example of that. She/he makes it sound like it's our fault if our grandpa dies of cancer because we didn't contribute to her/his little bike ride.

What you don't see out of these fundraisers is facts. You don't see discussion of, here's the amount of cancer research funding available from the government, here's the amount available from trusts and foundations, etc., here's what it goes to, here's where the shortfall is which is why we are appealing to you, etc. You know, presenting something that sounds more down to earth and less like an advertising spiel.

Ultimately, that's how these fundraisers strike me -- they want my money the same way that McDonald's or Budweiser or Toyota want my money. Because they want to keep their jobs and grow their enterprise.
    Very well said.

I'm not sure I understand what is more offensive to you: asking for money or the actual non-product producing event? Doesn't an event like this mirror events like the Walk for the Cure (which has raised millions, by the way)?

Not fighting, just asking.
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

I don't feel at all guilty. People who contribute do.

I just don't understand if he's so concerned with donating his time and energy to the cause why he isn't doing something that's worth anything to anyone. Even if you sell stupid fucking ribbons or bumper stickers--which I don't support either--it still offers more to the person donating than this stupid fucking bike thing.

You know what bike races and marathons for charity are? An excuse for people who like riding bikes and running to feel like they're doing a good deed while they engage in their fucking hobby. It's selfish bullshit.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    This I can get behind. Brandon's tone figure benefits the entire community. I would imagine cancer patients would find the extra will to live after seeing these results.

I am going to have sex to raise awareness and funds to research cancers. Donate to my cause people.

I wonder if any of those 100 man gang-bangs have had the proceeds go to a good cause.

Donate $1 towards cancer research for every internet insult I post. Hate for a cause.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Right...baking cookies and making pottery is so much more productive than running....
    It pretty much is, by fucking definition. See, when you bake cookies, you are PRODUCING COOKIES. Whereas, when you're running, you're not producing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what is more offensive to you: asking for money or the actual non-product producing event? Doesn't an event like this mirror events like the Walk for the Cure (which has raised millions, by the way)?

Not fighting, just asking.
    i'm offended by people asking me for money to go bike riding or running and using something like cancer to guilt me into giving them the money. it's essentially saying "i don't want to have to work to find a cure, but i want other people to work (earn money) and find a cure for me and i'll take all the credit".

when i wanted to go to london as a kid for example, i went to costco, bought bulk candy bars and sold them. i raised over $500 in 1995 doing this. WAY more effective than ANY walkathon i ever participated in as a kid. plus, i actually saw the benefit of my work in the end result. i'm sure there are some people out there who are good at milking thousands of dollars from people, but it seems like getting a steady job would produce way more for the cure than asking people for money on a regular basis.

i'm also perplexed at the lack of logic behind these fundraisers. how on earth does bike riding help cancer? how does running? the only benefit seems to be to those who ride/bike because they feel like they are doing something and they get to interact with other people who have been through the same thing. i get the social aspect, but i don't see why it needs to be tied to begging people for their money. just have a support group instead.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 03-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.

I think it's silly to be 'offended' by fundraisers. I'm not offended by McDonald's ads.

I can say 'no' to either one (or 'yes' if I so choose) and be perfectly fine with that. My money, my choice, no guilt, no taking offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.