Thread: help, i'm stuck in phoenix!!! what is there to do?!?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Lightbulb help, i'm stuck in phoenix!!! what is there to do?!?

so a lot of people come into the phoenix thread asking for things to do because they are forced to sweat it out in the desert for one reason or another. i figured i'd just quote a few posts from there and allow others to do the same. this does not have to be music specific.

Quote Originally Posted by denies the day View Post
    Do you like live hip hop and actual turntablists? Go to the Insects show at the Hidden House on 7th avenue & Osborn.

Do you like house music and cheap pints? Go to Skyline at District inside the Sheraton on 3rd street & Van Buren.

Do you like pseudo-hipsters, decent dance music and shitty bartenders? Try Fuse at Barsmith between 1st and 2nd streets and Washington.

Do you like hipsters, cocaine and decent dance music in a gothy environment? Try faux Show at Sanctum on 7th avenue just north of Indian School.

How about hipsters, cocaine, semi-decent dance music and cheap booze in a rednecky poolhall? There's Ransom at Philthy Phil's on 16th street and Thomas.

Do you like mexican trannies? El Zarape on 17th street and McDowell.

Are you afraid of the ghetto? Avoid the Bikini.

Will your drunk ass crave awesome carne asada after hours? The taco truck at Charlie's on 7th avenue and Camelback.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    of course, roo!!!

i'll take a stab at this...

i love the blunt club, which is not an actual club, but a weekly that is thrown at different clubs. they are on myspace & facebook i believe, but it's mainly hip-hop, dnb & dubstep.

i had fun the one time i went to cherry pit lounge on mill for UK thursdays. i knew people who were djing though and i can't speak to what it's like on other nights.

i have had fun at myst, though it's not for the people that's for sure. it's also expensive, but of all the scottsdale bullshit clubs, i have had the most fun here & at the pussycat lounge as well. axis/radius is douche central so only go if you REALLY want to see someone.

bar smith is a neat venue downtown & on saturdays they usually do "solstice", which is a house music weekly.

aura is a good psytrance monthly, add them on facebook. they usually do their events at hookah type lounges or places with middle-eastern food and tend to have things like belly dancers and the more "hippie" edm crowd.

if you are REALLY into the hipster scene you would probably have a blast at the rogue in south scottsdale. it's a tiny place, but lots of people swear by it. i just find a lot of the people obnoxious and the one time i went NO ONE was dancing and they were looking at us snobby like because we were dancing.

as far as concerts... the marquee theatre in tempe is the best place in MY opinion to see your average touring band. they won't house the HUGE arena type shows, but they tend to have a good mix of indie, edm and other types of bands. i personally HATE the dodge theatre as it sounds like there's a giant mute on the stage and it looks smaller than it is, but some people like it. the jobing.com & US airways arenas are both good for larger shows. avoid the clubhouse if you can, place is SHITTY. i've heard good things about the rhythm room, but i've unfortunately never been.

there are lots of dive type bars that will host weeklies or one-off events, so you have to make sure to keep an eye out for events on facebook or something.

*EDITED*

if you're into freak dancing like it ain't no thing and if you're a girl getting felt up all night, head out to the buzz nightclub at scottsdale & shea. i only went there once with some girls from work and i could tell multiple stories about that night for days. wall to wall bitches n' hoes!

devil's martini in north scottsdale is definitely the place to go if you like an older crowd who's interested in status from what i've gathered. i've never been, i just know a lot of people who have gone there or invited me there. it's kinda far for me too.

kazimierz in the old town scottsdale area is fucking awesome if you can afford it. it's a wine bar, but they do have decent priced appetizers and nibbles. it's not a place to go for a full meal in my opinion. i've had a different experience there every time i went too which is rare. i've seen some serious flamenco dancers and various old jazz singers with completely different bands. i really like this place and whenever anyone asks me where they should take a date, i always suggest this place.

gammage auditorium in tempe, arizona was one of frank lloyd wright's last designs. most major musicals and plays tour here. ASU also puts on events as well. i've even seen hip hop so anything goes really!!!

*these are merely the opinions of a few of us and your experience may vary
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Banned

Default Re: help, i'm stuck in phoenix!!! what is there to do?!?

Apparently its the birthplace of spelling. According to my sources, all who misspell words are outcasted and left out in the desert to be eaten by the vultures.

Ya gotta keep the vultures in fresh meat
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Ostrich Festival in Chandler today. Went yesterday and obtained my first sunburn of the sunburn season. Thanks ostriches!!!
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

lol, i worked at kazimierz when i lived in scottsdale. that was a fun part of my life.

rogue is the shit. bar smith, too.

i'm good friends with the former talent-booker at myst. he runs cream now. real cool cat.
    -n ://redthreat.us

lisztomania!

The best food I've ever eaten in Arizona was HANDS DOWN at Fred's, a newer restaurant in Barney's New York, which is its own little section at Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall.

Most of the Philiberto's, Rolberto's, Eriberto's, Polberto's etc... cook up some mean fucking burritos for only about $5 each.

On the off chance that you like skateboarding, go to Glendale skatepark on 59th Avenue and Union Hills, or to McDowell Mountain Ranch skatepark on Thompson Peak Pkwy & McDowell Mountain Ranch Rd.

If you like hiking and want to get a feel for our Sonoran Desert, I strongly recommend the Superstition Mountains.

Mill Avenue (Mill and University in Tempe) has hot chicks, drunk douches, overpriced clothes, decent selection of food, and several bars. Also in the area are four or five good smoke shops, a couple record stores, a skateshop, and lots of fast food.

Soooo, I'm rolling in today for a funeral. I'll be in town till Wednesday. I've seen some pretty cool pics of boardies at a karaoke place in Phoenix, and that sounds like something I might be into with some old friends. Anyone have any suggestions for a place with decent books? This thread is a few years old, so I was hoping to get an update on the down low. I'd be down to meet any of y'all if you find yourself with some time.

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for a place with decent books?
    wut
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'm guessing djbionik is either looking for a good book store or he is talking about the binders full of songs that karaoke hosts provide.

Soooo, I'm rolling in today for a funeral. I'll be in town till Wednesday. I've seen some pretty cool pics of boardies at a karaoke place in Phoenix, and that sounds like something I might be into with some old friends. Anyone have any suggestions for a place with decent books? This thread is a few years old, so I was hoping to get an update on the down low. I'd be down to meet any of y'all if you find yourself with some time.
    What part of town will you be staying in? I know Bridgette's on the north side of town has Karaoke every night, they have a pretty good selection of songs. It's at Cave Creek & Bell. I have friends who have gone to Hideaway Lounge downtown, and then there is one in Scottsdale that we had a group meet-up at, but I can't think of the name of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I came in to suggest Changing Hands.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Ha! While I do love Changing Hands, I actually did mean karaoke books. Some have more extensive books (song options) than others. I'm staying in the sticks up in Glendale, but I have a bunch of friends around the Biltmore area and snobsdale. I also have wheels to get around in, so it doesn't matter. I'm mostly looking for a fun place to meet up and forget that I'm sad.
    Is the Hideaway Lounge also a gay bar? I might have been there with a queen friend of mine, if so.

I do not know, I have never actually been there, but a friend did a birthday party there last week.

There is also a place called Hurricane Bay in Glendale, they have a separate karaoke room and then dancing on the other side. I haven't been there in years but I remember they had quite a selection and the people watching is scary and awesome all at once.

Awesome! Can't wait to sing my heart out, all Coachella off-season style.
    Already getting started w margs and and good stories. This will be a weird weekend.

Unfortunately Glendale is not the hotbed of activity. If your friends are scattered, I would suggest meeting midtown or downtown, although I have no idea where any karaoke places are...I know a lot of the good eating and drinking places.

Midtown has Federal Pizza, Culinary Dropout, Hulas, the Main Ingredient. Downtown has the Crescent, Carly's, and my new favorite, the Welcome Diner. Rips Ales between midtown and downtown has the Obscura dance party tonight. I think there is a place in Scottsdale that has private karaoke rooms but no idea on the specifics.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 08-10-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Also in Glendale is Haus Murphy's, our favorite German restaurant. That's become the go-to meeting place for Mother's Day/birthdays/etc. with captncrzy's family since they serve beers in these giant mugs that make you feel like a viking. Mmm, Franziskaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Yes. Forgot about the enormous beers at Haus Murphy's.

Ernie's in Scottsdale. A+ karaoke.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    What part of town will you be staying in? I know Bridgette's on the north side of town has Karaoke every night, they have a pretty good selection of songs. It's at Cave Creek & Bell.
    Yeah, Marcel's on Union Hills/32nd may also have Karaoke, but it's pretty shitty. Not good shitty, just shitty shitty. Not sure if Catch 22 has Karaoke but that's also in the area. Gallagher's in Dreamy Draw area used to but not sure anymore.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I have been to marcels once for poker. I normally like a good shithole bar, but that place is gross.

Ha! While I do love Changing Hands, I actually did mean karaoke books. Some have more extensive books (song options) than others. I'm staying in the sticks up in Glendale, but I have a bunch of friends around the Biltmore area and snobsdale. I also have wheels to get around in, so it doesn't matter. I'm mostly looking for a fun place to meet up and forget that I'm sad.
    Is the Hideaway Lounge also a gay bar? I might have been there with a queen friend of mine, if so.
    If you want to do karaoke, Swizzle Stick at 51st Ave and Dunlap in Glendale is the place you want to go on out there.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    If you want to do karaoke, Swizzle Stick at 51st Ave and Dunlap in Glendale is the place you want to go on out there.
    hahaha that place is still there? I used to live on 49th between Peoria and Dunlap/Olive.

Back in the desert. Shoulda checked out Swizzle Stick, but a Coachella buddy and I tried a place on Bell and 67th. Way fun, packed. Still got another week here. What's up Phoenix?

I think there's a new brewery that opened up at 67th Ave and Bell Rd. called Dubina or something.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

But, I want to see people and I want to see life.
    Last edited by djbionik; 05-25-2014 at 02:48 PM.