Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1330

Thread: San Diego Shows

Default Re: San Diego Shows

So I managed to get two Wrex the Halls GA tickets but I'm taking my friend who doesn't frequent these type of shows much. For anyone who has gone before what's the floor like? Is it a wristband type of thing with all the bathroom and food/drink amenities off the floor?
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

Wristband, food and bathroom on the upper level. Sometimes there are beer booths on the floor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    So I managed to get two Wrex the Halls GA tickets but I'm taking my friend who doesn't frequent these type of shows much. For anyone who has gone before what's the floor like? Is it a wristband type of thing with all the bathroom and food/drink amenities off the floor?
    Last year there was a bathroom (and a concession stand, I think) in the back corner of the floor, where the locker rooms are
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

I'm driving down for that show as well. What's the parking situation over there. I've never been to that arena before.

Awful. If you can, try to find parking on Kurtz street by the rear entrance of the place.

Thanks for the tip!

Or park at a trolley station and ride the trolley to SDSU. I'd double check to make sure it's running late that night, though
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    Or park at a trolley station and ride the trolley to SDSU. I'd double check to make sure it's running late that night, though
    This is incorrect. It's at sports arena, not SDSU.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    This is incorrect. It's at sports arena, not SDSU.
    Oh shit. My bad! I've been living in France for the past couple months, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

If that's the case, DO NOT park in the home depot parking lot. Some douche makes his living by towing people off that lot whenever there's an event

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    Oh shit. My bad! I've been living in France for the past couple months, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

If that's the case, DO NOT park in the home depot parking lot. Some douche makes his living by towing people off that lot whenever there's an event
    Parking at Target, or In N Out is a safer bet(In N Out is a walk though, worth saving the 20 bucks I'd say).

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Awful. If you can, try to find parking on Kurtz street by the rear entrance of the place.
    +1 on Kurtz st.
    If you're driving south on the 5, take the Rosecrans exit (it will be a cluster), but after you exit make the first right turn (before the Denny's) and work your way toward the Sports Arena. I'll leave it to your GPS/phone to lead you the way (you'll be driving through an industrial area). Find street parking wherever you find it.

I usually take the 8 and exit Sports Arena blvd and park on West Point Loma Blvd. where there is tons of street parking and no traffic. But it's a .5 mile walk.

Thanks guys I appreciate the parking help
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

Parking at Soma is a good spot too if you get there fairly early because it's not that big of a parking lot....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat24 View Post
    Parking at Soma is a good spot too if you get there fairly early because it's not that big of a parking lot....
    They won't tow you from the soma lot?
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    They won't tow you from the soma lot?
    All the shows I go to at the Sports Arena, I park there, and I've never been towed.

Thanks for all the parking tips! After seeing the Almost Acoustic Christmas set times, I'm glad I picked this show.

Wrex the Halls was a good show. I found myself wanting every band to have a longer set time though, especially Queens of the Stone Age.

Not as shiny as Almost Acoustic Christmas, but that just made it better. The set times as always were too short, but everyone put in a good show. Also, good crowd from Alt-J on.

Also, thanks for the parking advice. Fund a spot on Kurtz just outside the parking gate. After the show they announced 66 cars towed for Home Depot.

Cut Copy
    4/2 - House of Blues
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Wrex the Halls was awesome, Alt-J, Cage the Elephant, and Arctic Monkeys each played for 40 minutes(in Alt-J's case it was pretty much a full set, minus an encore). All three bands made great use of their time.

Alt-J especially was great, the only problem was plenty of people didn't know who they were it seemed like, but they really impressed me. The worst thing during Alt-J is people asking me and my friends to sit down. I'm sorry not going to happen we are at a concert and I'm standing and dancing. Alt-J make their sound work so well live. It seems more urgent, and even dancey. All of the guys are great musicians, their timing is perfect. It was my 4th time seeing alt-J and def the best set I've seen from them.

Arctic Monkeys are caught between their Post Punk angular rock, and this new swaggerific sound they've taken up for AM. It makes for a fun yet uneven set. The new songs are great, but they lack the energy and intensity in a live setting. I can't say much about Cage other than they played a ridiculously fun set last night.

Now to the highlight of the night, Vampire Weekend. This band is officially on the map, as if it needed to be said after the massive crowds at Coachella this year. No doubt they are doing arenas everywhere when they put out their 4th record. As a matter of fact they will headline Coachella with their next record. Their sound live is tight, and they are thriving on stage. They put on such a fun, and energetic set. My favorite set of the night.

What was depressing is what happened after, about 1/4 of the crowd left after Vampire Weekend finished their set, and QOTSA went on. QOTSA came out on fire, and what was extremely impressive about their 45-50 minute set was how great the new songs sounded. I would even say I enjoyed the new material much more live than the "hits" last night. Sucks that they played to a 2/3 empty arena 20-25 minutes into their set. They had until 11pm to play but I'm sure they said fuck this shit, we are leaving too you ungrateful San Diego bastards.
    Last edited by Sushov23; 12-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.

So I wasn't planning on attending given that 91x has been saying it sold out and the fact that singles for GA were going for over 120 bucks on craigslit. Went to Kobe's yesterday morning though and saw that the box office was open. Walked up, bought two pit tickets for 60 bucks each, and a buddy of mine was able to do the same at like 3 PM.

That was my first time seeing Alt J, and I can't believe how well their sound translated to a full arena. Fantastic musicians, their drummer especially.

Arctic Monkeys were all right. It was really weird that most people around me weren't dancing or singing along to Dancefloor. Not a huge fan of their new sound but it was entertaining live.

Cage The Elephant was Cage The Elephant. Really fun, but you know exactly what you're getting.

Vampire Weekend was great. Completely agree with you on the fact that they're gonna solidify their headliner status next album.
    It was a bummer that so many people left after them, but with this kind of line up, it was to be expected.

My god though, QOTSA were a fucking a blast. Jon Theodore is a real treat to watch live, the band was so much heavier than on record, and I barely noticed that they didn't play Millionaire. Definitely felt like they ended too early though. Ending with A Song For The Dead, what a way to end the night.

Dum Dum Girls - The Casbah March 7
    tickets acquired wooo

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Casbah, March 29. Got my ticket in the mail today.

the-void-is-becoming-the-hideout

"Casbah owner Tim Mays says that after the first few shows, The Hideout won’t regularly feature live music."

damn, I liked that space & the bands they booked.

Reignwolf April 27th at the casbah
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Rodriguez June 3rd at the North Park Theatre!
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Scored some tickets for NIN on 8/11 at Sleep Train. Boom!

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

anything going on between coachellas?

edit - hello casbah calendar. john spencer blues explosion it is.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 03-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I might hit up the Mogwai and Caravan Palace shows at the Belly Up the week after Weekend 1. .

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    anything going on between coachellas?

edit - hello casbah calendar. john spencer blues explosion it is.
    cage the elephant, Jon spencer, caravan palace, mogwai, city & Colour, temples w/ drowners, bombay bicycle club, bear hands, Smallpools, Bryan ferry, to name a few.