Thread: Hotels In LA

Lurker

Default Hotels In LA

The Historic Mayfair Hotel downtown LA - 1256 W 7th St.......any thoughts or comments on this hotel and area? Good/Bad/OK?

We are coming in early and going to be in LA a week before Coachella and just looking at places to stay right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Lurker

Default Re: Hotels In LA

I wouldn't stay downtown, if I were you. It's not very tourist-friendly.

vinylmartyr

Yeah don't stay there. Unless you like junkies. Stay at the Motel 6 on Whitley in Hollywood. Its near all the tourist stuff and is $65 a night.

Hey--there are some new bars downtown and you are close to the hipsters in Silverlake and Echo Park. The Biltmore Hotel downtown is really nice and historic--they had rooms for $89 in November. I agree that Downtown is not that nice but it is on the upturn for things to do--and also near China Town and Little Tpkyo and the Contemporary Museum. The Main Library Downtown is fantastic! Oh, and you think there are not Junkies near Whitley in Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    Hey--there are some new bars downtown and you are close to the hipsters in Silverlake and Echo Park. The Biltmore Hotel downtown is really nice and historic--they had rooms for $89 in November. I agree that Downtown is not that nice but it is on the upturn for things to do--and also near China Town and Little Tpkyo and the Contemporary Museum. The Main Library Downtown is fantastic! Oh, and you think there are not Junkies near Whitley in Hollywood?
    I live quite near downtown, so I'm not speaking out of ignorance when I recommend staying elsewhere. Yes, I love living in my neighborhood. I just think that there are better/safer/more interesting places for a visitor to stay.

That said, the Biltmore Hotel is lovely. I like getting a bit dressed up and pretending to be classy by having a martini or two in their Gallery Bar. And of course there's lots of good stuff to see downtown like the Walt Disney Concert Hall and MOCA. It's a great neighborhood to explore. I just wouldn't feel safe wandering around downtown at 1am in the same way that I'd feel comfortable doing it in Santa Monica or West Hollywood.