Page 160 of 161 FirstFirst ... 155156157158159160161 LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 4825

Thread: General Phoenix Area Shows

Default Re: General Phoenix Area Shows

First time I caught a performance of Sir Paul was back in ’76 at the Coliseum in Cleveland. Great show, of course. Only other time was ’09 at Coachella (my first year attending) and though the long years have not, as one would expect, been entirely kind to McCartney’s voice, it was still an incredibly wonderful performance with a ton of great songs and a crowd and venue that all added up to an epic show.

Sorry I missed him this week but I already had tix the same night for the Yes show at the Mesa Arts Center, which was itself a fantastic concert. Bit too much like being at the symphony, but the awesome music and stellar musicianship more than made up for the crowd of mostly oldsters who sat till almost the end of the nearly 3 hour performance, which included the entire Fragile and Close to the Edge albums. The old Celebrity was a better venue for them last year, and the crowd then was livelier, too.

The kid they’ve found to replace Jon Anderson sings pretty much like Jon Anderson once could, but no longer can. Steve Howe and Chris Squire – both now in their sixties – are still about the best lead guitar/bassist combo I’ve ever heard. And Syd Arthur – 4 kids from Canterbury who played a good set at Coachella this year – were perfect openers, though the old folks mostly had no idea who they were. Nice, humble guys, had a pleasant chat at the merch table with them during the short intermission.

Got the free Friday night Classixx with the Superhumanoids show at the Crescent coming up, and two nights later at the Crescent got tix for a set of really good local bands, including one of my very favorites, Mergence.

There’s another free show at the Crescent on September 9th, headlined by a new dream pop outfit out of LA called Haunted Summer. Like what I’ve heard by them on soundcloud, so going to this one, too.

A lot of other good shows at the Crescent this fall – too many for me to get to – but I do have tix for Odesza in September, who were great fun and trippy late night at the Do Lab this year WE2, and a few days later Sir Sly and Wolf Gang, and then Metronomy and later – after we’re back from LIB – Pure Bathing Culture in October, and Yelle in November. Some of these are weeknights, but even though my wife and I are both old (60) and get to our jobs pretty early each day, fuck it, we go anyway and almost always have a blast. More than worth dragging ass for a bit in the morning.

Really should get to the Mastodon and Flying Lotus shows at the Marquee, too. Wife dislikes the venue, and isn’t a big fan of either act, so maybe I’ll just go by my lonesome.

Was thinking of the Eric Prydz show, Friday night September 19th at the Pressroom – which is a really cool venue, with great sound and lights – but once again my wife is not a fan, and that’s not the kind of show an old fuck like me should be at alone, so likely not.

All in all, though, a lot to look forward to in the coming months, including the first and third Friday nights each month at Club Palazzo on Central where the DJs spin old and new darkwave/industrial/goth stuff we love to dance to, minimal dance skills notwithstanding.

Didn't see any other mention of this but they've got set times up for Summer Ends. Friday looks miserable, so I'm glad we didn't bother purchasing tickets for that day.

Saturday
    The Replacements 10:40-11:55
    Descendents 8:55-10:10
    Taking Back Sunday 7:15-8:30
    Switchfoot 5:35-6:50
    Luscious Jackson 3:55-5:10
    The Main 2:30-3:30
    Katastro 1:15-2:15 (thought it was Kastrato at first, which would be a better name)

Sunday
    Foster the People 8:30-10:00
    Fitz & the Tantrums 6:45-8:00
    Kongos 5:05-6:20
    Violent Femmes 3:30-4:45
    Allen Stone 2:00-3:10
    Kitten 1:00-1:45

Appreciate that they've provided this so early so I can check if any of the bands playing between Luscious Jackson and Descendents are worth seeing, otherwise I don't know how eager I would be to arrive prior to 8pm, especially if it's still fairly hot. Also looks like I'll be home in time for dinner on Sunday, unless Kongos is any good. Definitely don't have any compulsion to see the final two acts of that night.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

I won tickets to Sunday on the specblog.com. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth going even for free. Violent Femmes would be cool, but saw them at Coachella. Maybe Kongos and I'm sorta of curious about Luna Aura, a local pop girl, between those two. I don't know if I can sit through Fitz and the rest of Foster the People for Pumpled Up Kicks. I do appreciate the early set times, though.

Ibought tickets to Sunday, and even I am having second thoughts because Violent Femmes are so early, but Foster the People are really good live, and I like their latest album a lot (but I keep saying that and no one listens).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Capital Cities is actually a lot of fun live, but otherwise you are right, Friday does look pretty bad. The Senators and Dry River Yacht Club are good local bands definitely worth a listen, but you can catch either one at the Crescent or Last Exit Live any number of times during the year for a whole lot less $$.

On Saturday I wouldn’t bother with Switchfoot (bullshit Xtian rock) or emo mediocrities Taking Back Sunday, but Playboy Manbaby and Fayuca are some more worthwhile local bands you could catch between Luscious Jackson and Descendents. Don’t know how they’ll be outdoors at Tempe Beach, but I’ve enjoyed them indoors at small clubs. Yes, Kastrato would be a better name, but you’d expect them to sing in a much higher register (these guys are another good local band, in fact).

Highly suggest you do stick around for Kongos on Sunday; these guys are really good. And maybe they’re not your thing, but Fitz & the Tantrums were a blast both times I’ve caught them – late afternoon Coachella main stage ’12, and last year (even better) at a sold-out Crescent. It was a rarity of a Crescent crowd actually moving and shaking to the music. Foster the People were pretty good live a couple years ago at the Venue in Scottsdale, but I've heard over and over how their their live shows are meh anymore, and their music since the first album hasn’t done much for me.

All in all I’m glad I passed this little festival by. One of these days maybe we’ll get one here with more than a few scattered acts worth the time and money.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

for anyone who missed it, tommy will be blessing us with his presence for warpaint 10/24. we are also going to put something together the saturday after (10/25) to meet up with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Let me know what you plan, I might be down to meet up early either night, but won't be going to the show. I am probably going to Big Red Night of the Dead downtown on the 25th. Not too excited for the music, but the people watching will be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Didn't see any other mention of this but they've got set times up for Summer Ends. Friday looks miserable, so I'm glad we didn't bother purchasing tickets for that day.

Saturday
    The Replacements 10:40-11:55
    Descendents 8:55-10:10
    Taking Back Sunday 7:15-8:30
    Switchfoot 5:35-6:50
    Luscious Jackson 3:55-5:10
    The Main 2:30-3:30
    Katastro 1:15-2:15 (thought it was Kastrato at first, which would be a better name)

Sunday
    Foster the People 8:30-10:00
    Fitz & the Tantrums 6:45-8:00
    Kongos 5:05-6:20
    Violent Femmes 3:30-4:45
    Allen Stone 2:00-3:10
    Kitten 1:00-1:45

Appreciate that they've provided this so early so I can check if any of the bands playing between Luscious Jackson and Descendents are worth seeing, otherwise I don't know how eager I would be to arrive prior to 8pm, especially if it's still fairly hot. Also looks like I'll be home in time for dinner on Sunday, unless Kongos is any good. Definitely don't have any compulsion to see the final two acts of that night.
    You don't have any desire to see Fitz and the Tantrums? I'm seeing them, so be prepared to wait it out.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Also looks like I'll be home in time for dinner on Sunday, unless Kongos is any good. Definitely don't have any compulsion to see the final two acts of that night.
    In my opinion the local acts (Bogan Via, Luna Aura) are more appealing than the Sunday main stage acts with the Femmes being the exception. I saw Kongos one other time at a show I had to help out with and they're okay - it won't be a life changing performance or anything. It's nice, nonabrasive alt rock. Depending on your level of hunger it could be a toss up between seeing them and dinner. I'll probably leave early unless I'm forced to work the Kwss tent or the local stage for the rest of that night.
    10/24-10/26 - Life is Beautiful
    11/10 - Death From Above 1979

Working on getting rooms (darn hotels and their pet weight restrictions...my babies are a little on the big side, like their dads!), but looks like I'm bringing my dogs with me when I travel for next week's Superhumanoids/Classixx shows. Hubby will stay in the room with them while I dance myself clean in Tucson/Phoenix. Gonna have to skip Flagstaff as we're headed down to Mexico Saturday morning to visit family.

Thursday night we'll probably be tired from the drive, but Friday is completely open other than the 2 hr drive from Tucson up to Phoenix. Any petfriendly food spots or nice parks to visit during the day on Friday?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Thanks for the suggestions on which acts you're considering; helps to focus my admittedly inconsistent attention on in advance.

Saw Fitz & the Tantrums at Coachella 2012 and maybe it was because I was really depressed but I just did not fucking care for them at all.

Jorge, Hotel Congress in Tucson may be amenable to your dogs. I don't think they have air conditioning, though, which is an absolute necessity most times of the year in southern Arizona, much less August, but I remember when we stayed there a few years back, some lady brought her horse around the outside patio. Took a big ol' dump by our table, too, which the staff didn't really seem all that surprised by, so unless your dogs are Clifford & Marmaduke, I think they'll be cool with them.

Too bad we're gonna be out of town. Would've been fun to show you around our old haunting grounds.
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Working on getting rooms (darn hotels and their pet weight restrictions...my babies are a little on the big side, like their dads!), but looks like I'm bringing my dogs with me when I travel for next week's Superhumanoids/Classixx shows. Hubby will stay in the room with them while I dance myself clean in Tucson/Phoenix. Gonna have to skip Flagstaff as we're headed down to Mexico Saturday morning to visit family.

Thursday night we'll probably be tired from the drive, but Friday is completely open other than the 2 hr drive from Tucson up to Phoenix. Any petfriendly food spots or nice parks to visit during the day on Friday?
    Dude. It's going to be really really hot. Whereabouts are you staying? In Tucson, you can drive up the mountain (Mt Lemmon). It's like 20 degrees cooler up there and the dogs can run around the creeks and stuff.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

once you hit phoenix, there is a dog park off pecos road and the i-10. i live close by and have only been to the actual park, not the dog section, but a friend likes it. as others said though, it will be hot. but it's on your way. also, the park is located in a part of town called ahwatukee. it's technically the city of phoenix, but everything west of the i-ten and south of south mountain is called ahwatukee. you may want to google restaurants in the area as we are a pretty pet friendly place. have a good trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Hotel Congress definitely has AC. I highly recommend it and Jen's suggestion about Mt. Lemmon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Hotel Congress definitely has AC. I highly recommend it and Jen's suggestion about Mt. Lemmon.
    I concur. Hotel Congress upgraded all the rooms with AC units in 2013.

I also rsvpd to the Classixx/Superhumanoids show on Friday night at Crescent Ballroom without knowing if I can make it. If I do, I hope to see you there, Jorge.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 08-19-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks for the info everyone. Should be a fun weekend, even with the heat, i'll just end up being browner than normal. I'll PM you next week Westcoastpirate and we can grab a beer.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I concur. Hotel Congress upgraded all the rooms with AC units in 2013.
    Ah, that explains our ignorance. We haven't stayed there since, like, 2009-2010.

All locals electronic music show this Friday at the Trunk Space (everything from chill trip hop to some harder techno/electro). Here is the event page where you can check out the bands: https://www.facebook.com/events/256061841262850/

Edit: Not sure if anyone made it out to this, but it was a pretty good turnout (as far as unknown local bands go) and we all had a great time getting some dancing in. I'm still surprised at some of the quality music that's happening right under our noses.
    Last edited by grind; 08-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    $20 reserved/free GA with fair admission
    8/29-Classixx (Crescent Ballroom)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/24-Warpaint (The Pressrom)
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

Oh wow.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    HOLY SHIT. YES!
    10/24-10/26 - Life is Beautiful
    11/10 - Death From Above 1979

Sturgill Simpson
    Nov. 18th
    Valley Bar

He first announced a show opening for The Zac Brown band at Ak-Chin Pavilion on Oct. 16th, I'm glad i'll be able to skip that now.
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 08-27-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    Oh hell to the fuck yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Superhumanoids/Classixx this weekend. Who's going to which shows? Instead of doing Tucson/Phoenix, I'm doing Phoenix/Flagstaff. Ditching the Mexico family weekend (fuck those border lines on holiday weekends...ugh) and staying for the Flagstaff show after Phoenix since I have to work Friday morning. Hoping the 10 east won't be completely messed up by noon tomorrow heading that way.

Got an Airbnb in Phoenix in the "Coronado" area which is 2.4 miles from the venue. Staying with a hippy who offered me fresh eggs from the chickens he keeps in his backyard. I hope my dog doesn't kill his chickens.

Saturday during the day, checking out the dog park that Ivy recommended and going to find try to yelp something that will allow dogs on a patio. Then heading up in the afternoon to Flagstaff where I got a dog friendly hotel (nothing on Airbnb unfortunately) about 1 mile from the venue.

I'll be solo at both shows while the dogs stay in the room with the other half. If anyone wants to meet for a beer, lmk. Excited!

Jorge, the Coronado neighborhood is pretty cool, as is the downtown neighborhood right around the Crescent itself. 2.4 miles is not that much of a walk, but if you drive to the venue I suggest parking in the small lot by the “haunted house” (you’ll know what I mean when you see it). It’s where I almost always park for Crescent shows, and it’s free. It’s about a half block north of the venue on the same side (west) of 2nd Ave., and just north of the ASU parking lot. Sometimes you can park in the ASU lot with no problem (free) but sometimes ASU security hassles you, so I don’t bother parking there anymore. There’s free street parking too, but it’s pretty limited.

I’ll get to the Crescent a bit early for dinner (decent AZ-Mex food there) so I can be sure to get a wristband since it’s first come/first served. Not sure what to expect for this show – maybe a capacity crowd (as in something over 500) or maybe just a couple hundred. Even though it’s a holiday weekend I’m betting more rather than fewer so there may be somewhat of a line to get wristbands.

Really looking forward to this show, though I wish it was over-21 instead of over-18 (they'll have that damn divider up by the stage). I’m partial to female voices in dancey synthpop/dream pop bands, so I’m especially stoked for Superhumanoids and the Flavr Blue, though I’m sure all 4 bands will be fun. Enjoyed Classixx at Coachella, but this will be a better venue than the Mojave in the afternoon. In fact, the Crescent’s my favorite in town – intimate with a great sound system and lighting and good a/c and a super-friendly staff and always a chill crowd. Sometimes too chill, actually, so the people are reluctant to move, but the right acts can get a dance party going. I’m thinking this set of bands should do it.

Got an Airbnb in Phoenix in the "Coronado" area which is 2.4 miles from the venue. Staying with a hippy who offered me fresh eggs from the chickens he keeps in his backyard. I hope my dog doesn't kill his chickens.
    Is his name Jeff? 14th/13th and Granada?

Superhumanoids/Classixx this weekend. Who's going to which shows? Instead of doing Tucson/Phoenix, I'm doing Phoenix/Flagstaff. Ditching the Mexico family weekend (fuck those border lines on holiday weekends...ugh) and staying for the Flagstaff show after Phoenix since I have to work Friday morning. Hoping the 10 east won't be completely messed up by noon tomorrow heading that way.

Saturday during the day, checking out the dog park that Ivy recommended and going to find try to yelp something that will allow dogs on a patio. Then heading up in the afternoon to Flagstaff where I got a dog friendly hotel (nothing on Airbnb unfortunately) about 1 mile from the venue.

I'll be solo at both shows while the dogs stay in the room with the other half. If anyone wants to meet for a beer, lmk. Excited!
    You will be at least a 20 minute drive from the dog park in Ahwatukee if you are staying in Coronado. And going to I-10 and Pecos is the opposite direction from Flagstaff. There's a closer dog park at the park at 3rd St and Indian School which is only a few miles from Coronado. I also think the patio at the Main Ingredient allows dogs, but I'm not completely sure. And the Main Ingredient is in the Coronado district.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Is his name Jeff? 14th/13th and Granada?
    Dudes name is Sky and he's near 7th. Looks like just a few blocks from the Main Ingredient. Score!

Crescent is legit! There was a huge line to get in but everyone eventually got in. Drinking on the patio.