Page 111 of 161 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 4825

Thread: General Phoenix Area Shows

Default Re: General Phoenix Area Shows

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Who all is going to Tycho? I'm trying decide whether or not to cajole Jacob into going.
    I will be there with my wife and a lot of friends.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I'm going to try and check out Angel's Trumpet on Sunday for the USA Pro Challenge event sponsored by New Belgium. If I don't make it Sunday, I am for sure gonna be there the afternoon of Friday August 31st because they should let us out of work at 2pm that day.
    Did you notice the typo on the New Belgium site? It says Angel's Trumpet is in Tempe. Hmm or maybe they mean the bike tour is in Tempe? I know nothing about this event but if I am free I might bike ride up and check it out Sunday. Is this some post bike race/tour stop?

IPA flights at the Strumpet FTW.

But they close at eleven
    Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Did you notice the typo on the New Belgium site? It says Angel's Trumpet is in Tempe. Hmm or maybe they mean the bike tour is in Tempe? I know nothing about this event but if I am free I might bike ride up and check it out Sunday. Is this some post bike race/tour stop?
    Yes I did notice the typo. There is a large road bike race happening in Colorado right now called the USA Pro Challenge. New Belgium is a sponsor of the race. New Belgium is hosting a viewing party at Angels Trumpet for the final stage of the race Sunday.

I'm surprised the Yeasayer/Daedalus show isn't sold out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I need to remember to buy Faint/Trust tickets tomorrow.

Yes I did notice the typo. There is a large road bike race happening in Colorado right now called the USA Pro Challenge. New Belgium is a sponsor of the race. New Belgium is hosting a viewing party at Angels Trumpet for the final stage of the race Sunday.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm really excited about trying a lot of their beers. Start with flights and move to pints from there!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm really excited about trying a lot of their beers. Start with flights and move to pints from there!
    I went there this afternoon. Check out my review in the good beer thread.

PS-I think I'm going to skip Angels Trumpet on Sun and head to the viewing party at Boulders on Broadway tomorrow instead. I really just want to grab a New Belgium goblet glass.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 08-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Really cool 30 min documentary on Stateside Presents and Charlie Levy. Definitely worth checking out.

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I'm surprised the Yeasayer/Daedalus show isn't sold out.
    It's sold out now!

Purity Ring is sold out for Friday. I did purchase my ticket to The Faint/Trust.

Tycho tonight/tomorrow night! It's going to be an excellent night!

Oh cool, you're going down to the Tucson show, too? Plush used to be my old haunting grounds, circa 2007. Actually worked security there for a few months. Enjoy!

Tallest Man on Earth was really good last night. He got "Love Is All" out of the way the 2nd song in. Only three songs I didn't recognize, but they were still solid and made me want to familiarize myself with them. He carries himself as though he's either been drinking for the past 8 hours or just rolled out of bed, and his mumbling makes me think he's really committed to aping Bob Dylan, but in the couple of times I could understand what he was saying, he was funny. Which was ironic, because what he said was specifically about NOT being funny.

Crowd wasn't too obnoxious; two older guys were chatting loudly behind me about their stupid band so after rehearsing snarky things to say for a couple minutes, I finally turned to them and politely asked them to lower their voices, which got them to shut up. Then there was this drunk bitch who barged her way to the rail with her stupid-looking boyfriend, started talking to him about inane bullshit, yelled out "You're so good!" when TMOE took to the piano, loudly declared how much she loved the song he was playing, then proceeded to talk to her boyfriend about some more inane bullshit that obviously couldn't wait to be discussed. One of the guys they barged in front of went & bought some chips and was eating them loudly, which amused me at first because I could tell he was annoying the drunk bitch & her boyfriend, but the bag was seemingly endless and I started getting annoyed, so I took a step back. There, I was closer to this other whore who deemed the concert the necessary place to discuss some drama with a girlfriend to her date. I was then compelled to move to the other side of the room, which made me wish I'd made the decision sooner because it was a better spot in every way. Oh well.

The opener, Strand of Oaks, was actually surprisingly strong as well. I listened to some of his tunes online before the show and thought it sounded pleasant enough, a fitting accomaniment to TMOE. The drummer he played with, though, was terrific and really gave the songs a lot more heft. And the singer/guitarist not only looked like he was auditioning to become a member of My Morning Jacket with his long hair and scraggly beard, his guitar playing was psychedelic enough to suggest he'd fit in because of that as well. Think I'll pick up his album when my eMusic balance refreshes.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    I did purchase my ticket to The Faint.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Tycho review?

Tycho was really good with a suprisingly good drummer live. Seeing them was probably the closest I will ever get to seeing Boards of Canada live. I'm not that good at reviews, sorry. The Album Leaf were also good.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Tycho was incredible at Plush last night. Glad I got to see that. The Album Leaf were quite good too. Loved the trumpet/violin.

Wrong thread? No fucks given.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Tycho was great, they are so tight live. He played a new song by himself as the first one of the encore, and the new song was incredible. I can't wait until he puts out some new tracks. The crowd was well behaved too. Overall, it was a good night.

They were insane at FYF and their drummer is a madman. Glad to hear they were great.

Twin Shadow tonight! This may actually be the show I'm looking forward to the most this month, which is saying a lot considering I've got Fiona in a couple weeks. Anyone else going?
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Twin Shadow tonight! This may actually be the show I'm looking forward to the most this month, which is saying a lot considering I've got Fiona in a couple weeks. Anyone else going?
    How was Twin Shadow?

He was really great, actually. Golden Light was my favorite of the night.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Tycho was incredible at Plush last night. Glad I got to see that. The Album Leaf were quite good too. Loved the trumpet/violin.

Wrong thread? No fucks given.

I co-sign everything Matt said here. Everything about each show was fantastic except that I had some weird stinky girl dancing (flailing) around everywhere and didn't understand the concept of not invading my personal bubble. Other than that, the show was outstanding.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

The girl with the flowers in her hair? lol.

The girl with the flowers in her hair? lol.
    I am talking about the Tucson show, Amy.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I didn't know since you said "everything about each show." I thought maybe you'd gone to both shows. There was a girl dancing through the crowd at the Phoenix show. I don't know if she was stinky or not, but I thought maybe that was she.

How was Twin Shadow?
    Really good. His voice remains terrific live. There was a fantastic stretch in the middle, with "Tyrant Destroyed">"I Can't Wait">"When We're Dancing">"Run My Heart" that, after a one-song break, continued with "At My Heels">"Castles in the Snow">"Forget." It was getting late & Jen wasn't feeling well so we took "Forget" and the end of the main set as the end of the night, so I'm not sure what may have been performed in the encore. (Hopefully no "Yellow Balloon!")

The crowd was, again, kind of obnoxious. The Crescent's been around for less than a year but they've managed to book some fantastic shows, and as a result, they're almost starting to become a victim of their own success. Too many fucking assholes show up just to be seen at the show, or at least that's the conclusion I draw from them standing right behind us on the rail to the left of the stage only to chat obnoxiously about their stupid shitty lives. Then when we moved to the right side of the room, there was the drunk family barging in front of people to dance sloppily. Towards the end of the set, I saw a couple walking towards me. I presumed they were leaving so I took a step back to clear the path. The girl stopped immediately to my right and the guy stopped right in front of me, like with his back literally inches away from my face. I didn't wait 2 seconds before putting my hand on his back, pushing him lightly, and telling him to "Move."

I really do enjoy myself at shows still, I just seem better able to expound upon things that bother me than things I like. At this point, though, I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have to get to shows at the Crescent early enough to secure a spot on the top row of the bleachers. It would at least minimize the number of people who could talk around us, especially if we're able to manage a spot adjacent to the sound board.

I was just thinking about how cool some of those early shows were like M83. We were able to get drinks during the show and people let us back in our spot up front. Very cool.

The crowd at Tycho was pretty decent. Rick, are you sure it's not just...you?

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    I was just thinking about how cool some of those early shows were like M83. We were able to get drinks during the show and people let us back in our spot up front. Very cool.
    The crowd at Tycho was pretty decent. Rick, are you sure it's not just...you?
    I've never had any problems with the crowd at any of the shows I've gone to at the Crescent. However, I don't feel the need to get within 3 feet of the stage.