Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frightened Rabbit

Default Re: Frightened Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by alternapop View Post
    I've seen Frightened Rabbit a couple times. They put on a good show. I saw them last Fall with The Twilight Sad and We Were Promised Jetpacks... both are great bands.

If you're into Frightened Rabbit, there is a new band also out of Glasgow that is releasing their first album in late April that sounds promising from what's been released... they remind me of Frightened Rabbit quite a bit, but having a Scottish accent helps...

Admiral Fallow:

http://www.alternapop.com/2010/03/24...lk-indie-rock/
    I went to one of those Frabbit/Twilight/Jetpacks shows too. It was a lot of fun. For some reason I can't access that link above. What label are Admiral Fallow on?

Midnight Organ Fight is one of the best albums of the past few years. Winter of Mixed Drinks isn't as good, but is pretty solid. The Greys has plenty of filler, but has a couple of really great songs. I've seen them twice in small bars and they were fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them play off festival energy. Suggested beginners condensed playlist:

Be Less Rude
    Square 9
    Modern Leper
    Good Arms
    Fast Blood
    Keep Yourself Warm
    Swim Until You Can't See Land

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    I went to one of those Frabbit/Twilight/Jetpacks shows too. It was a lot of fun. For some reason I can't access that link above. What label are Admiral Fallow on?
    what happens when you try to load it? try going to alternapop.com. it's the first posting at the top. let me know what happens if it's not working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by phxcat View Post
    Midnight Organ Fight is one of the best albums of the past few years. Winter of Mixed Drinks isn't as good, but is pretty solid. The Greys has plenty of filler, but has a couple of really great songs. I've seen them twice in small bars and they were fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them play off festival energy. Suggested beginners condensed playlist:

Be Less Rude
    Square 9
    Modern Leper
    Good Arms
    Fast Blood
    Keep Yourself Warm
    Add Nothing Like You to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by alternapop View Post
    what happens when you try to load it? try going to alternapop.com. it's the first posting at the top. let me know what happens if it's not working for you.
    Same thing happens w/ home page alternapop.com. I can access the site for a sec, then dialogue box pops up "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site www.alternapop.com. Operation Aborted." Then I have to click OK. Then it automatically navigates away from the page to the familiar "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Very strange....

damn, looks like something is up with the template not working with IE on Windows. does Firefox work? i'll have to fix that today. thanks for the info!

^ Actually, yes, Firefox does work.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Sweet jesus I know a lot of people are saying Sat is the weakest day, but the bottom lines on Saturday are downright sick... I thought that even before accounting for Frightened Rabbit being that day. The day time portion of Saturday is gonna be an absolutely beautiful headache.

Frightened Rabbit
    Sia
    Corinne Bailey Rae
    Edward Sharpe
    Mew
    White Rabbits
    the Temper Trap
    Camera Obscura
    Portugal. the Man.

HEAD ACHE.
    word bro

add the amazing Beach House, GIRLS, Pretty Lights, Band of Skulls ... in that list
    Last edited by idrive1life; 03-31-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Just grabbed their new album on vinyl, they are a personal must see for me. Can't wait!
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

anyone know a few songs from the earlier 2 albums
    that would for sure be played ??

I remember hearing most of Midnight Organ Fight and none of Sings The Greys. This was, of course, before Winter Of Mixed Drinks. They did preview a couple of those, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Daxton - we are in a bunch of same band threads. Besides Old Crow, Deer Tick, Avett Brothers, Frightened Rabbit - who else you seeing ?

I saw them at SXSW this year two times: an official show at night where they were very boring, and an official day show where I wanted to love them the way everyone else did, but I got into that anti-NME "Next Big Thing" mindspace and wrote them off. Sorry lads, but I'll have to see them in a proper setting (Coachella) to reevaluate. I know your all waiting for my review, but it's gonna have to wait till after I see them. Mew will be amazing. I'm surprised people are saying their going to see Muse.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/18/fr...ed-rabbitsxsw/

As much as anything, Frightened Rabbit were just happy their late-night set Wednesday at SXSW came off without technical difficulties -- in contrast, it seemed, to a performance earlier in the day.

"Now we've got power," singer Scott Hutchison announced. "Let's hear it for electricity!"

Alternating current wasn't the only electricity in the room: Hutchison and his bandmates blew through 45 minutes of poignant, urgent songs, earning that rarest of SXSW accolades -- an encore -- as they channeled Hutchison's emotional turmoil into irresistible, utterly believable songs.

The Scottish band just released a new album, 'The Winter of Mixed Drinks,' which yielded much of their material. The quintet's music is heavily rhythmic, with pulsing beats propelling ringing guitars and Hutchison's yearning vocals.

Downhearted guitar arpeggios blended with a synthesizer accordion sound on last year's single 'Swim Until You Can't See Land,' and a busy round bassline pushed along the burly rocker 'Nothing Like You.'

Frightened Rabbit mixed in older songs, too, a dense curtain of organ and drums like a heartbeat framing sing-along vocals from the packed-in crowd on 'Keep Yourself Warm' as Hutchison mused about the emptiness of random sex.

After finishing a sweat-soaked set, the band returned, dedicating 'Square 9' (from its 2006 debut, 'Sings the Greys') to all the people in the room from Scotland, many of whom obliged by singing beerily along with arms draped across each other's shoulders.
    http://blog.mtviggy.com/2010/03/25/f...nd-gasp-happy/

Glasgow, Scotland-based indie/folk rock band Frightened Rabbit have developed a bit of a reputation for being maudlin. Perhaps part of this has to do with the fact the mastermind behind the project, Scott Hutchison, has songs that include lyrics like “I think I’ll save suicide for another year” and “not miserable now.” The other part may have something to do with the fact that the Scotsman has permanent reddish-brown circles under his dark doe-eyes. Eyes that seem to scream “Help me! I am an equal parts beautiful and tortured musician and need you to adopt me and take me to my forever home!”

I should add that it seems as if he NEVER smiles. In every publicity still and YouTube-preserved performance, Hutchison’s lips don’t curl up enough to reveal a half-grin or even a smirk.

Although Hutchison likes to poke fun at his angst-ridden reputation, he seems to do little to shirk it off. And when I biked up to the French Legation Frightened Rabbit SXSW show on the one day the gods of cold, dark and crappy weather decided to strike sunny Austin, Texas — presumably as some sort of celestial practical joke — I was not surprised to see a dour as usual Hutchison prepping for his set in a frown and a black pea coat. Actually, about three of the five band members had black pea coats — not that there is anything wrong with this particularly flattering type of man-coat!

Anyway, thanks to the vindictive celestial weather gods and all the out-of-towners (who inevitably only packed those tiny short shorts and see-through patterned tights despite the fact that SXSW always has at least one day of wacko weather), there was a surprisingly small crowd for a band as beloved and buzzed about as the headlining Frightened Rabbit. Without a million hipster fashionistas and fashionistos, I was able to snag the best spot in the house, err, tent.

Just as I was about to cave in and file an adoption application for Hutchison and his sad puppy-eyes, he spoke:

“We are Frightened Rabbit and welcome to the last f@$king show we have to do for South By Southwest!”

As they burst into a sped up and lackluster version of one of their new songs, I felt pretty sure that the gents were jsut going to tear through this as fast and painlessly as possible, even if it meant putting on a sh*tty show. But things started to turn around when bassist Billy Kennedy unzipped his hoody to reveal what I dearly hope was an un-ironic Lady Gaga tee shirt. At this point everyone started to loosen up. The songs got tighter — Hutchison’s voice bellowed with a sweet yearning, Grant Hutchison’s drumming became more spot-on and every member of the band started throwing some nice musical improvisations in the mix. They were now rocking more than folking.

By the time Frightened Rabbit broke into their one poppy and upbeat song from the just released The Winter of Mixed Drinks, the redemption-themed and percussion-fueled single “Nothing Like You,” everyone under the tent was bouncing about and singing their hearts out. Hutchison seemed to be about as relieved as I was to finally see a crowd that had flushed all the pretense down the toilet and didn’t give a damn if the person standing next to them might be bothered by their off-key belting. After wrapping up the song, he looked out into the crowd and let us know that this was by far the best show they had played at the festival and we were “f@$king brilliant!” Well thank you, beautiful and now slightly less tortured musician.

The rest of the set was decided completely by requests from the audience. “I don’t give a f@$k what we play,” shouted a belligerent Hutchison. “We will play f@$king “Back in Black” if you want!” They, regrettably, did not in fact play “Back in Black.”

But after moving through FR hits like “The Twist” and “Backward’s Walk,” they did perform the first encore of my South By Southwest experience.

At the audience’s loud and vocal behest, after playing their last song their last song and saying their goodbyes, the guys jumped back on stage. This time Hutchison was missing his black pea coat and showing off a sweaty, grey button-up shirt. He looked out at the crowd before rushing into a jammed-out version of “Keep Yourself Warm,” laughed, and said “you guys made me hot enough, I had to take my coat off!” and –GASP!! — flashed a big, toothy, Cheshire Cat grin.

–Molly Wardlaw

Listening to "Things" off the new album now.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Well...guess we all missed Frabbit. Sucks, but I'll be seeing them this Sunday. I'll let you all know how it is :P

That was such a sad moment. We were running to get there and were like 5 minutes late so I expected to hear them from a distance and gradually see Scott Hutchinson rockin' out as we got closer.

Instead, we got (relative) silence and the security guy told us that the volcano was messin' shit up. Made us sad and then we REALLY got scared thinking about who else might not be able to show. Turns out Mos Def was the main one that we really missed missed (notwithstanding the Sly Stone debacle, but that was due to a volcano of crack, not a real one).

I don't know anything about Mos Def being or not being there. I didn't realize. Also, what happened w/ Sly?

I saw Frightened Rabbit last night in NC. They were great, but aparently they have removed Fast Blood from their sets indefinitely. Scott got tired of playing it. Pretty much sucks. They were also very sad about not being able to make it to Coachella and 2 other shows in TX. Most of the guys are so nice. Grant gave me drum tips. Ha.

Alright, so I know I'm basically talking to myself here in this thread, but FRIGHTENED RABBITT BETTER BE THERE IN 2011 TO MAKE UP FOR THAT VOLCANO SHIT. I mean, I hope they are.
    Last edited by daxton; 05-25-2010 at 07:30 AM.

They got paid for Coachella?

You are not talking to yourself ... yes, they MUST be there in 2011 to make up for their absence. I particularly adamant about their 2011 appearance since I missed them here in Seattle.

And no matter what anyone else on this thread says, "Winter of Mixed Drinks" is a great record.

It's been growing on me, that new record. Still not great, though, in my opinion. Most of the record is not based on Scott's personal experiences. He hasn't had a break up or anything heartwrenching enough to write about.
    Last edited by daxton; 12-12-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
    I am particularly adamant about their 2011 appearance since I missed them here in Seattle.
    Can you not make it to their show on May 16th at Neumos?

Also, sorry about the very late response, Daxton, but Sly's peeps were soundchecking for over half an hour at his officially scheduled time. Then a guy came out and said Sly wasn't ready to go on and that he would be out later. Later as in after 2 more bands. Later as in during the Gorillaz set.

Really wanted to see the legend that is Sly, even though I wasn't holding out much hope and after the postponement, I said forget it. Turned out his set was a bit of a trainwreck, so we were glad we didn't try again.

SWEET I'm going to their Fonda show on May 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I'd like to geek out for a sec and share this little thing that made my day today. I've seen Frightened Rabbit several times and usually end up hanging out with Billy after. Decided to facebook friend him at some point. He's a super nice guy. They're playing a show about 4 hours away from me and I'm short on money, so I decided to ask if he'd put me and my friend on the list. He got back to me within a day, said "Of Course. Let me know if I need to add anyone else." How great is that?!

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    I'd like to geek out for a sec and share this little thing that made my day today. I've seen Frightened Rabbit several times and usually end up hanging out with Billy after. Decided to facebook friend him at some point. He's a super nice guy. They're playing a show about 4 hours away from me and I'm short on money, so I decided to ask if he'd put me and my friend on the list. He got back to me within a day, said "Of Course. Let me know if I need to add anyone else." How great is that?!
    Very cool. I saw them in Atlanta last fall, and I'm going to catch them at the 40 Watt in Athens in a couple weeks. It'll be a nice capper to a pretty good month of concerts in the Deep South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Heck yeah! I just hope they add Fast Blood back to the list for both our sakes.

Saw the band last night at the 40 Watt in Athens. Not only were they fantastic as headliners, but the whole bill was, top to bottom, one of the most impressive I've seen in a while. The Phantom Band and Plants & Animals would have been worth the price of admission by themselves.

Frightened Rabbit played for about an hour and 45 minutes, drawing mostly from their last two albums. Scott wasn't as talkative as I've seen him be, which might be due to the knobhead who decided any break in the setlist would be a good opportunity to "yee-ha" as I've learned only Georgians can. Still, it was a fun, high-energy show.

The setlist:

Things
    The Modern Leper
    Nothing Like You
    Old Old Fashioned
    The Wrestle
    I Feel Better
    Fast Blood
    My Backwards Walk
    Not Miserable
    Head Rolls Off
    Be Less Rude
    Good Arms vs. Bad Arms (Scott solo)
    Yes, I Would
    Living In Colour
    Keep Yourself Warm

Poke (Scott acoustic solo)
    The Twist
    The Loneliness and the Scream
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I saw em last night in Charlotte! I agree, Plants & Animals and The Phantom Band were great. Talked to Phantom guys for a while after. Super cool guys.

We had that exact same FRabbit setlist. And a similar yelling idiot in the crowd (right next to me). She was yelling things like "my trousers would stay on your floor" and "let's hang out" and picking fights with people in front of us. Annoying.

My friend and I went to bar next door with Billy and Andy and had drinks with them before their 1 AM bus call (headed to Philly). I like them so much and I miss them already

Roberto, they said they really enjoyed Athens.

Frightened Rabbit have left Fat Cat and will be releasing their 4th album next year with Atlantic Records.