Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: LA Noise show compendium

Default Re: LA Noise show compendium

I'm just shocked at the direction he went. It had absolutely no relation to the prior stuff he'd done under the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Sean McCann & Matthew Sullivan / Rene Hell / Seraph Trev

March 10th Atwater Crossing

"VANITY FAIR" LP Release Show

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/330737536962898/
    Coachella 01' - 13' and still counting..... 13th year!!!! Geez, I'm getting old..

the samples from the SM/MS LP sound fantastic. already ordered mine.

joseph hammer replaced rene hell at that show. a definite treat. sad jeff isn't playing, but an awesome replacement.

Hmm...

I'll have to see now. I was really going for Jeff, but if you say that's a treat I may still be there.

http://emeraldcocoon.blogspot.com/

Emerald Cocoon presents TRAPDOOR FUCKING EXIT, a series of performances taking place inside Helga Fassonaki's Installation, Touching Them Touching Me - A Love Song for the Dead C at Human Resources gallery April 20 - 22, 2012.
    Address: 410 Cottage Home St in Chinatown, 90012
    $10 each night or $20 for all 3 nights!!

Friday April 20th, 7PM

TOM CARTER – Pete Swanson once described him to me as a ‘wizard’ and I think he might be right. His last solo set in LA was one of the most life-affirming demonstrations of the term ‘slow-burn’ that I have ever seen. And you weren’t there. Please use this opportunity to correct yourself.

BRIAN CROOK (NZ) – guitarist/vocalist from The Renderers/The Terminals/Flies Inside The Sun/The Max Block/Scorched Earth Policy etc etc etc. If these names mean nothing to you then you may as well stay at home. Hand down New Zealands best guitarist. Ask anyone.

GLANDS OF EXTERNAL SECRETION – reclusive legends Barbara Manning and Seymour Glass in their first LA performance (3rd performance in 18 years!). In 2003 they released a ‘no instruments’ cover of ‘Tubular Bells’. We have no idea what is going to happen.

QUEEN VICTORIA – “I’m basically only interested in acoustic noise now” – Nick Malkin aka Queen Victoria

YEK KOO – Helga will perform the whole of her new ‘Love Song for the Dead C’ LP in it’s entirety for the first time.

* plus a performance in absentia by ADAM WILLETTS (NZ) - Adam delivers a mailed-in dose of his non-denominational acid electronics from Christchurch.

Saturday April 21st, 7PM

CHARALAMBIDES – Forget obscure psych-folk reissue ‘gems’ hitting the shelves daily, you don’t have to look back to the pre-corporate takeover era to find modern psychedelic music of rare beauty. Tom and Christina Carter are perhaps the greatest living practitioners of the form in America. Having been through various configurations and conceptual approaches from avant-folk, through minimalist improvisation right out the other side into folk-form again over a period of 21 years they have consistently chosen the path less trodden, leaving behind them a body of work as monumental as that of Keiji Haino or The Dead C. Don’t get left behind in the wake of cheap party music and illusionary careerist cash dreams: there are visionaries in our midst.

500 MG – Michael Gibbons of psych warriors Bardo Pond performs in his 500mg guise for the first time in LA. Twisting/burning psilocybe mantras.

PURPLE PILGRIMS (NZ) – Sister duo from Christchurch, fog shrouded choral vox coated with distant reverb guitar. Immersive.

PETER KOLOVOS – Thin Wrist Recordings proprietor plays electric guitar like fireworks built out of stained glass.

GABIE STRONG – Local artist and bassist of Lady Noise. No-one knows what to expect - bass?

UN CIEGO – Plans to one day release something that isn’t a lathe-cut. Perhaps a one sided c20 in an edition of 5?

Sunday April 22nd, 6PM

MARYROSE CROOK (NZ) – Of The Renderers/The Max Block/Above Ground (whose sole cassette was recently reissued by Siltbreeze). Aching loose country psych ballads from one of the godmothers of the NZ underground.

LA LAKERS (NZ) - New Zealand facsimile of LA basketball team slam dunks improvised tape compositions.

METAL ROUGE – First LA show in a few months and probably the last for a few more. New material. Less interested than ever in ‘entertaining’ you.

DEREK ROGERS – Recent Texas transplant with a million tapes on a million labels everywhere. Laminal.

BAILOUTS – First performance from new duo unit made up of members of The Faraday Trippers and Shelter Death. Something’s brewing in the OC and it’s not just kopi luwak.

*plus a non-appearance performance by BILL ORCUTT – Bill unfortunately couldn’t be with us in person because he’s on tour, BUT he did give us an exclusive new work to premiere. New cubist blues, with no interest in your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

The short version of that post - Charalambides, Brian Crook (of The Renderers, The Terminals, Flies Inside The Sun etc.), Michael Gibbons (of Bardo Pond), etc. in tribute to THE DEAD C! This is a must-see.

Yeah, I'm so fucking pissed this is going on when I'm at Coachella. My professor runs this venue, and what a lineup...

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Holy fuck...all these guys at one show?

RENE HELL + M. GEDDES GENGRAS + SEAN MCCANN + EARN + MIRROR TO MIRROR
    Human Resources
    Wednesday 5/16/12
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Well that was awesome. Human Resources was on it with the sound tonight: very loud but also very very clear. Mirror to Mirror was really gorgeous, he did a great set of beatific ambient dance music that I thought was going to be my favorite set of the night. Earn did his thing, and I swear I've heard him do this same EXACT set before. That's fine since it's a good set, but kind of weird all the same. Sean McCann had advertised a quadraphonic set, and he delivered a really short and really engrossing piece of weird collage ambient noise stuff. The problem was that it was too short to really be engrossing. I liked what I heard but I wanted more. Geddes, on the other hand, killed it. He played at least 25 minutes, and both Gabe and I agreed that, in style and approach if not in sound, his set reminded us of Bee Mask's Canzoni album. It had a breadth of sound, but everything went together so perfectly, and it was very lush and developed. I've seen him before, but never this good. Rene Hell seems to no longer be an analog synth-based project. The past two times I've seen Jeff he did very similar laptop based sets. While last time was a disjointed mess, this time he took all the same disparate parts and blended them together much more masterfully. His was by far the loudest set of the night, and also far and away the most jarring. He would transition between uncomfortably loud droning tones and arrhythmic beat patterns with occasional drones over them. The way he played with the sounds was really impressive, and it was also great to watch people slowly wander out or put their hands on their ears when it got to be too piercing. I was highly impressed.

jealous. sounds fun

In addition to everything Bryan said (and we were at a total consensus), there was great visual accompaniment for basically everyone but Earn, for whom the white backing wall contained a dark, static projected image. Mirror to Mirror and Geddes both utilized 8-bit animation that alternately resembled interwoven fingerprints and infrared; it was essentially the same sequence both times, but it married up perfectly to both of these distinctive sets. The other two seemed to be doing their video sequencing themselves - McCann used a drifting piece looking outward from a front porch that he seemed to be layering various color saturation patterns over, while Jeff began with a reel of Telemundo runway bloopers and then transitioned into a tracksuit model struggling to drink from various bottles of liqueur. Among other things. Once I got over the fact that he would be sitting and scrolling with a mouse the whole time, it was a pretty awesome set.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

ooh yeah, the videos were really complementary and well-done. Especially McCann's.

jealous y'all. rene hell might be dead. Jeff released an edition of 25 tape on Agents of Chaos (where the majority of stuff in small runs is his) under the name Fusantane Mifume. his description said it was computer music...

https://www.facebook.com/events/435766799796916/

Tomorrow Mount Analog grand opening party, John Wiese and David Scott Stone for free.

For those who don't read the general Upcoming Shows thread - Rene Hell is opening the Oneohtrix Point Never show at the Echo on 8/21.

OOOOOOO. Tits

Yep yep yep. Be there. The only downside is that he probably won't be tending bar for this one.

Hahaha. That's probably true, but on the flip he might actually sell some merch for a change since it's a bigger show.

James Ferraro is opening as well. Want to see him too, but I'm much more excited for the other two. Bought my ticket already.

Oh, that's a really fun bill. James Ferraro was super interesting last time Oneohtrix played the Echo. And he has a penchant for choosing great openers: I thought Sun Araw was better than Oneohtrix that night.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Sun Araw was better than Oneohtrix that night.
    Absolutely. OPN was good, but Sun Araw really brought it that night.

Neither were as good as Fennesz was at Eagle Rock opening for Deakin the following night however...
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Neither were as good as Fennesz was at Eagle Rock opening for Deakin the following night however...
    FUUUUU I missed Fennesz

I've seen OPN quite a few times now... best set hands down was opening for Fennesz at Db. His set destroyed Fennesz's... it might have helped that it was longer than his usual set (probably 50-60 minutes). It also didn't help that Fennesz had The Sight Below join him for the last 1/4 of his set and it was abysmal.

Everyone should most certainly come out to this one! There aren't a whole lot of other $5 shows these days...

Saturday August 18th
    Human Resources Gallery

Mark McGuire
    Sean McCann
    M Geddes Gengras
    Matthew Sullivan & Jeff Witscher (Earn + Rene Hell)
    Infinite Body

I must say, Mark McGuire's newer stuff posted to his soundcloud is sounding pretty good... despite his predictability. I have heard great things about Infinite Body's recent live sets, and I haven't seen him since 2010 so I'm especially excited for that too. I think this is the first performance of Sullivan & Witscher... really excited for that one too of course. Oh, and Sean McCann and M Geddes Gengras always kick ass live, as described above!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

damn I'd LOVE to see Mark Maguire but I am out town this weekend.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Everyone should most certainly come out to this one! There aren't a whole lot of other $5 shows these days...

Saturday August 18th
    Human Resources Gallery

Mark McGuire
    Sean McCann
    M Geddes Gengras
    Matthew Sullivan & Jeff Witscher (Earn + Rene Hell)
    Infinite Body
    Fuck yes! Tickets at the door I assume?

Human Resources is really taking steps to replace Echo Curio as the awesome place to see experimental music. I will definitely be there, and I love seeing these sorts of lineups, just full of artists who will put on a great set.

And sorry, I didn't see your post Icey. They're always at the door. Decent sized capacity as well, so I've never seen it fill to the point where they won't let people in. If you get there early, it's in the same building as my favorite pho restaurant.