Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Default Re: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Yes.
    Care to elaborate? I don't mind if you "spoil" what is so different about the, if that is possible to not spoil much about the story and such.
    Or does Amy basically have it right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Coachella Junkie

She's correct, the stories take place at the same time. If you're like me and are lucky enough to have forgotten the tedious events of book 4 by the time the new one came out it doesn't really matter.

Thanks. It might be a good thing that my expectations of book 4 are so low, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in some way.

HBO has confirmed that, aside from being based in and around Belfast, NI, Season Two will shoot in Iceland and Croatia (Dubrovnik, specifically). Which also confirms that they will not be returning to Malta. No comment on whether last year's beach fiasco in Malta was to blame for the change.

Dubrovnik will be the new site for King's Landing exteriors, as well as standing in for various other GoT locations. Iceland will be used for certain scenes "beyond the Wall."
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

Characters that we have so far:

Last edited by citizenerased; 09-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.

There are too many goddamn people in these books. I'm on the dragons book, and I'm struggling to remember who was who in that list of names.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

haha and there's even more minor characters I could've posted, stuck to the ones I thought worthy.

Coachella Junkie

I like that Gilly. I do not like that Melisandre.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    There are too many goddamn people in these books. I'm on the dragons book, and I'm struggling to remember who was who in that list of names.
    Agreed. That is the one and basically only complaint I have of these novels. Book two was RIDICULOUS. Book one I used the appendix like crazy, every few pages I'd be flipping back there. I had my head wrapped around that book up, down, and sideways. Did the same thing for book two, until about half-way through. I tossed in the towel. I said fuck it, if I don't really need to give a shit who some of these people are, then I won't give a shit. I really think it is detrimental to the series, but that just my opinion. No doubt there are PLENTY who would disagree with me, and I am sure they all would have very valid points.

I am about 500 pages into book three, and I can't help but think Martin backed off a bit with the names. Of course, I am enjoying book three tons more than book two.

On the new cast members...fucking SPOT ON with Balon and Stannis...

EDIT: AND PYAT, nailed it, in my head at least
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 09-07-2011 at 11:46 AM.

if you haven't paid attention to some of the secondary characters in detail in the first four books... book five will be a rough read. a lot of things that were spinning in the background finally come to fruition.

now that I think about it, is Jeyne Westerling even in Clash of Kings?

I love the choices for Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Bolton, Jaqen H'ghar, and Pod. Brienne looks like she will be okay but not as masculine as in the book.
    Last edited by citizenerased; 09-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    if you haven't paid attention to some of the secondary characters in detail in the first four books... book five will be a rough read. a lot of things that were spinning in the background finally come to fruition.
    Definitely. And this has been one of my favorite things about Book 5. The whole thing is so much richer and more complex than I thought it would be when I picked up the first book about a year ago.

Coachella Junkie

For those of us disinclined to either read back through the series or maintain a functioning memory bank, I'm here to inform everyone that it's perfectly effective to simply read through the novel and not give a shit that you've forgotten what's happening and who is what. After all, 95% of Martin's writing consists of descriptions of crests and emblems, references to the weight of various mounds of snow, and the phrases "much and more" or "little and less."

and the phrases "much and more" or "little and less."
    hahahahaha.

For those of us disinclined to either read back through the series or maintain a functioning memory bank, I'm here to inform everyone that it's perfectly effective to simply read through the novel and not give a shit that you've forgotten what's happening and who is what. After all, 95% of Martin's writing consists of descriptions of crests and emblems, references to the weight of various mounds of snow, and the phrases "much and more" or "little and less."
    This is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    now that I think about it, is Jeyne Westerling even in Clash of Kings?
    She initially appears early in Storm of Swords (Book 3), but this is due to the POV structure of the books (i.e. Robb is not a POV character). She is involved in important events during the timeline of Clash of Kings, but those events happen "offscreen" in the books. Since the show is not beholden to the POV structure, I'm pretty sure they will continue to depict these "offscreen" events (otherwise Robb is only in 1 or 2 scenes next season). Thus, Jeyne has been cast.

Also, Season 2 will most likely include some material from Storm of Swords, so its still possible she is introduced in the same scene as the books (but probably earlier).

You forgot about his descriptions of clothes, armor, food, and the various interior decorations of every inn and holdfast from Sunspear to Craster's Keep.

Yet here we all are.

The guy who is playing Stannis was great as Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries. Excellent casting there.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I have to say I love the description on all their meals and some of the clothes descriptions too. And how no one seems to care if they're naked and who's looking at them while they're naked.

Tyrion 4temmy.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    You forgot about his descriptions of clothes, armor, food, and the various interior decorations of every inn and holdfast from Sunspear to Craster's Keep.

Yet here we all are.
    I'm here begrudgingly at this point. 750 pages in and Dance With Dragons finally has some narrative momentum.

Crap. It takes that long? This is slow-going.

First Season 2 "In Production" preview tonight before Boardwalk Empire.

Finally.

I only have about 200 pages left in book 4...I have come to accept the fact that George Martin is an "event" writer, if that makes any sense. Basically, you've got a series with a thousand paged books, and the only reason I keep reading is because every 500 pages or so something "game changing" happens.
    Yes, sometimes the narration builds momentum and it becomes less tedious (spoiler: I am thoroughly enjoying my time reading about Arya in Braavos)
    Maybe my expectations were too high after book 1. I've read book one 2.5 times (read it once, years ago, a year or two later wanted to read the series again, read half of it, and over the past year, have read up to book 4 almost 5) and I have enjoyed every fucking chapter every time.
    But god damn, Martin makes the reader work hard for every little bit of entertainment.
    All of this is simply opinion though.

Here's that production trailer:

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

fuck yeah! i can't wait

DVD/Blu March 6.

Special Features (Bolded features are Blu-Ray exclusives)
    A. Episodic Previews & Recaps (22:45)
    B. Making of Game of Thrones (25:00)
    C. Character Profiles (15 clips) (30:18)
    D. Creating the Dothraki Language (5:26)
    E. Inside the Night’s Watch (8:05)
    F. From the Book to the Screen (5:15)
    G. Histories (30:00 approx)
    H. Creating the Show Open (5:05)
    I. Cast Audition Tapes (25:00 approx)
    J. Anatomy of Episode 6 “A Golden Crown” (60 min)
    K. Guide to Westeros (Menu-Based In-Episode Interactive Feature)
    L. Guide to Westeros (Menu-Based)
    M. Ep 1 ‘Winter is Coming’ w/ Commentary by Exec Producers/Writers David Benioff & D.B Weiss
    N. Ep 2 ‘The Kingsroad’ w/ Commentary by Lena Headey, Mark Addy & Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    O. Ep 3 ‘Lord Snow’ w/ Commentary by Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams & Isaac Hempstead-Wright
    P. Ep 4 ‘Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things’ w/ Commentary by Bryan Cogman (Writer) and Kit Harington
    Q. Ep 6 ‘A Golden Crown’ w/ Commentary by Peter Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, Harry Lloyd and Daniel Minahan (Director)
    R. Ep 8 ‘The Pointy End’ w/ Commentary by George R.R Martin (Co-Exec Producer & Author of Game of Thrones
    S. Ep 10 ‘Fire and Blood’ w/ Commentary by David Benioff & D.B Weiss (Exec Producers/Writers) & Alan Taylor (Director)

pic, full story:
    winter-is-coming.net/2011/12/more-game-of-thrones-season-one-dvdblu-ray-details-emerge/

No Ep. 9 commentary (& no Sean Bean, Jason Momoa, Michelle Fairley) is dissapoint, otherwise looks flawless

I'm definitely going to get it!

I'm halfway through A Storm of Swords and holy crap, I am loving it! I honestly can't believe I hadn't heard of this series before.

You wanna fook on me?!

A behind the scenes look at combat in season 2. You can see Brienne at :17 and :30, she looks rightfully massive!