Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Default Re: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Damn

Did I miss something, or did they not explain why they burnt Winterfell?
    Yeah and where were the soldiers surrounding the keep and blowing the horn?
    12/31 NYE w/ Chromeo @ Fort Mason
    01/28 Beacon @ the Rickshaw Stop
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    02/13 Breakbot @ The Mezzanine
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

I think they're attempting to make it a mystery in the TV series, but in the books its very obvious and sets up an important arc. Kinda bugged me too.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Jorah needs to start drinking his Ensure so he's not afraid to break a hip while slowly chasing after Daenerys

I haven't watched the last 3 episodes, can someone spoiler text for me what the ending didn't show but is eluding to? (yes I've read the books, obviously).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

you want a reach around as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    you want a reach around as well?
    Or you can go back to arguing about kindles and e-ink bullshit.

I only ask because it was so long ago that I read that book that I hardly remember what the hell exactly happened with burning Winterfell and what everyone here is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Yeah and where were the soldiers surrounding the keep and blowing the horn?
    it was mentioned in Robb Starks camp that the son of one of his bannermen was going to go to Winterfell to liberate it...not sure if spoiler:and offer the deal that all Iron Islanders get to live if they turn over Theon. So I am assuming thats what happened

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Or you can go back to arguing about kindles and e-ink bullshit.

I only ask because it was so long ago that I read that book that I hardly remember what the hell exactly happened with burning Winterfell and what everyone here is talking about.
    I suppose if one can't read English then you may have had an problem answering your question on the last page.
    From purely within the context of the TV show it's pretty obvious Theon's men sold him out to save their own lives, but when the Stark kids emerge and find the city torched there's no explaination as to why. Previous posts have flat out said what happened and didn't elude to anything except what's in the book, which you've read (unless you own an English language version).
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 06-04-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Damn

Did I miss something, or did they not explain why they burnt Winterfell?
    Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    No explanation. I think this show would be very confusing if I hadn't read the books. I really enjoyed the finale.
    Quote Originally Posted by knytt View Post
    I think they're attempting to make it a mystery in the TV series, but in the books its very obvious and sets up an important arc. Kinda bugged me too.
    Jackstraw I don't know why you suddenly decided to be such a twit to me, but for the sake of the chance that I mis-read something in the last page or so of this thread, I re-read.

I honestly hardly remember much about Winterfell burning in book 2 (I do remember it burned, but I don't remember there being anything crazy enough to end a season with as a cliff hanger).

So I simply asked if someone who has read the books and watched the last episode could clarify.

But I guess if you feel like being a dick for the sole purpose of being a dick, not much I can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Jackstraw I don't know why you suddenly decided to be such a twit to me, but for the sake of the chance that I mis-read something in the last page or so of this thread, I re-read.

I honestly hardly remember much about Winterfell burning in book 2 (I do remember it burned, but I don't remember there being anything crazy enough to end a season with as a cliff hanger).

So I simply asked if someone who has read the books and watched the last episode could clarify.

But I guess if you feel like being a dick for the sole purpose of being a dick, not much I can do about that.
    If you know I'm indescriminantly nasty then you shouldn't be offended. confound me, goddammit. It's all I've ever wanted from you.

Did you not read the post right above yours, Dogvolta? I haven't read the books so I don't know any of this stuff, but I was just curious if I had missed something in the show or if it was meant to be a cliffhanger. Everything else in the show has been crystal except that when the kids come up from the crypts the city is burnt, no one is there, and the children are told to flee by Christmas past.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Well, I'm fuzzy on the books as well but for SPOILERS: The Bolton's are part of the force Robb sent to retake Winterfell, but Theon had already made a deal with the Bolton bastard Ramsay to betray the besiegers. He does so, and (in the books) Theon come out believing he has outsmarted everyone, but the Bolton's betray him as well and sack Winterfell. It was confusing when I read it and I need to reread it, but I believe that's the general gist of it. Not sure how they're going to translate all of that in the series next year, but we'll see.

Well, I'm fuzzy on the books as well but for SPOILERS: The Bolton's are part of the force Robb sent to retake Winterfell, but Theon had already made a deal with the Bolton bastard Ramsay to betray the besiegers. He does so, and (in the books) Theon come out believing he has outsmarted everyone, but the Bolton's betray him as well and sack Winterfell. It was confusing when I read it and I need to reread it, but I believe that's the general gist of it. Not sure how they're going to translate all of that in the series next year, but we'll see.
    Thanks for the clarity Knytt, and thank you for not getting all jackstraw about it. And yeah, all of that is the precursor to a major arc in the story, one that I have been looking forward to seeing ever since I first saw Theon's smug grin on television.

And Stinkbutt, I don't know what you are asking me? I was originally confused basically because I haven't seen the last episode yet and only vaguely remember the ending of book 2, and I wanted to know why people in this thread were confused about the ending. I was simply asking for someone who knew the TV series and the books well enough to come in and drop some knowledge (like knytt so generously just did).
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 06-04-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Dany's scenes were pretty great. Dragonfire ain't no joke.

I'm actually really happy with how they translated the House of the Undying. My roommate was disappointed it wasn't trippier, but I thought it was much more powerful as a tool to show Dany letting go rather than as just a cool set piece. Also baby Drogo (is Rhaego his name?) is way cute.

I thought the whole house of the undying bit was hamfisted, her quick little trial with Drogo and her son especially. I'm not sure any actress could have pulled off any sense of doubt in that short amount of time available. I will assume it was drawn out a bit more or there were further trials in the book. The devastated Iron Throne room was cool though.

And as far as dragon fire, apparently it helps when your target seems to rinse his clothes in lighter fluid.

I definitely would've loved for them to have drawn it out in the TV show, but for the amount of time it did get in an already packed finale, I was satisfied. I guess just something half-decent happening in the Dany storyline is enough to please me.

I think everyone is doused in lighter fluid. The ease by which the Wildlings light corpses on fire is astounding to me.

. Also baby Drogo (is Rhaego his name?) is way cute.
    Drogon - Black with red highlights. Larger than its brothers. Named after Dany's dead husband Drogo.
    Rhaegal - Green with bronze highlights. Named after Dany's dead brother Rhaegar.
    Viserion - Creamy white, with gold highlights. Named after Dany's dead brother Viserys.

I think everyone is doused in lighter fluid. The ease by which the Wildlings light corpses on fire is astounding to me.
    Wights (reanimated corpses) are very susceptible to fire. Their flesh is extremely flammable; it will easily catch fire and continue to burn if exposed to even a small amount of flame. As a precaution against them the Wildlings burn their dead so they can not be revived as Wights.

As for Pyat Pree getting flamed pretty easily, well, dragon fire is not the same as regular fire. See Harrenhall for examples.
    Last edited by ManImCool; 06-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

First off, I was talking about the offspring of Drogo and Dany, whose name is Rhaego after further research. Not the dragons.

Secondly, I was talking about the ease by which Wildlings burn corpses, which is not as easy as it they make it seem. Bodies are hard to burn. Wights yes, but bodies no.

maybe it's like Walking Dead and everybody is already infected with Wightness.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    As for Pyat Pree getting flamed pretty easily, well, dragon fire is not the same as regular fire. See Harrenhall for examples.
    It's not the suspension of disbelieve that I have a problem with, just the special fx.
    the little dragon (Drogon, apparently) spits a few flames at his midsection and his head immediately bursts into flame as if he was primed to explode.

Granted that I'm going to nitpick all the fantasy shit because I don't like it, but let's at least get some firebreathing effect more impressive than a bottle of Aquanet and a Bic lighter.

First off, I was talking about the offspring of Drogo and Dany, whose name is Rhaego after further research. Not the dragons.
    I read that sentence really fast and saw two names that were very similar to two of the dragons names and just started typing away the dragons names. Oops. Well you still learned something.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

Haha yeah, I figured. I worded it weird anyways.

I just remembered something: wasn't Sansa supposed to leave with The Hound? What the hell happened with that?
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I just remembered something: wasn't Sansa supposed to leave with The Hound? What the hell happened with that?
    What? She doesn't go with him in the book.

"King's Landing is my home now, I am loyal to King Joffrey"

The last episode

"hey let's go somewhere that isn't burning me no like fire"
    "ok protect me please"

Then this episode is nothing mentioned, hound is nowhere to be seen

"hahaha I don't have to marry him"
    Littlefinger "you know he is still gonna keep you here to beat you"
    "shit"

Oh, I think if you watch that scene again you'll see she never says ok. I believe she responds to "come with me I'll keep you safe" with "I'm safe here".

You're right, my bad