Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1357

Thread: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Default Re: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Giant Archer.... Amazing shot.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I was pretty surprised how well an episode all about the Wall managed to keep, considering I generally consider it to be one of the really boring storylines. Obviously tremendous potential to get a lot more interesting, and this is about the time it starts happening. The Giants and the Scythe were dope. God forbid anyone teach a giant to use a bow and arrow.

So question that I don't want spoiled by the books or anything but for other TV watchers--obviously Jon Snow's mother has to turn out to be of some kind of royal heritage, right? I mean that has to be a plot twist coming up down the line that enables him to take some kind of throne or some such shit. Lead the North, blah blah blah, whatev.

Also, to cycle back around to episode 8 for a second 'cause I finally got caught up--I think Tyrion's monologue about the retard and the beetles is probably the best moment in the show thus far, and the best piece of acting on TV I can remember since the Live Free Or Die episode of The Sopranos. "I was the most intelligent person I knew, so I thought surely I could unravel the mysteries of a moron." My god, that sentence fucking killed me.
    The Wall storyline in the book is not boring at all (though I agree it has not been done very well by HBO – way more Sam and Gilly, for instance, than the book). Arguably, it’s the single most important storyline of all – the “Others” from the farthest North are coming to get everyone and everything, after all, and the petty squabbling over “ ‘oo killed ‘oo” and who gets to rule what in the kingdoms of men pales by comparison. Existential threat and all.

“Who are Jon Snow’s parents, really?”

This is probably one of the most important mysteries in the series. It’s not a spoiler since Martin hasn’t directly revealed it yet, but the strongest likelihood (so I and many other fans of the books believe) is just as you suspect – Jon Snow has royal heritage.

Specifically, that he is actually the son of Prince Rhaegar (who was the eldest son of the “mad king” Aerys, and also Dany’s oldest brother) and Ned Stark’s sister Lyanna. And so Jon Snow is the personification of “Ice” (Stark – the North) and “Fire” (Targaryen) and all that will (eventually) entail. Maybe not, but I think that’s what the clues in the books make the strongest case for, and what should fit best in the story arc.

I’m with you on how fantastic Tyrion’s monologue was in episode 8 about the beet-smasher, very much including that great line you quoted. Not in the book at all, so this is a case where HBO actually outdid Martin. That whole episode was one of the best so far in the Game of Thrones.

And the “Live Free or Die” Soprano’s episode – definitely one of the best in that supremely excellent series, too.

8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the treatment Alisser Thorne got in this last episode versus the books. Motherfucker can scrap...until he decided to square off with that dude from The Thing prequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Ok. Question about the last name "Snow." Is it just a last name bastard's get? Because Ramsay, before his last name was changed to Bolton, was also "Snow." Or, are we supposed to believe Jon and Ramsay are brothers?

Also, this whole time I have thought Jon's mother was inconsequential. Assuming Roose Bolton get's killed and the White Walkers are no longer a threat... lets say both Bran and Jon survive all these ordeals. If Jon's mother was a commoner and not royal, Bran would rule the North, correct? But if Jon's mother is of royal ancestry, then Jon would rule the North? How would that work? (If Jon and/ or Bran are dead by the end of book 5, please don't post anything that would spoil that).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Snow is a northern bastard name just like sand is a Dornish bastard name, hence Obeeyn's kids being referred to as the sand snakes

The other questions you asked were already answered in the last page. Spoiler: you're way off about Snow's bloodline.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Snow is a northern bastard name just like sand is a Dornish bastard name, hence Obeeyn's kids being referred to as the sand snakes

The other questions you asked were already answered in the last page. Spoiler: you're way off about Snow's bloodline.
    I figured so about the last name. They never addressed it directly in the show though.

That "Tower of Joy" Randy was told to google? No thanks. I don't google anything about Game of Thrones. I have done it twice and both times revealed spoilers I really didn't want to know. After that, I decided no more googling. Have they given any hints in the show that Jon Snow is of royal lineage? Or are there just hints in the books and the show has yet to touch on it?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Well, both Dany and Bran see surreal visions of the Iron Throne covered in snow.

Reading book 1's Tower of Joy chapter, which occurs when Jaime's men injure Eddard in KL, doesn't spoil a thing and is super awesome. Otherwise I agree, don't google anything
    Last edited by shermanoaksyo; 06-11-2014 at 01:58 AM.

I think they have given a nod to it, but it has been really really subtle. I can't tell you without spoiling it
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Fair enough. I will leave it there. Thanks.

Bastard last names by location:

I think Rickon has a better shot of ruling the North than Bran the cripple does.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I don't think the TV show has alluded to Snow having a royal lineage at all, it just makes a lot of sense from a plot standpoint. Ultimately, Ned Stark's bloodline has to get redemption somehow after the Red Wedding and all the other shit they've been through, but the only person really in any place to do anything about it is Jon. Plus the fact that the specifics of the mother never got discussed just makes it terribly convenient.

Does anybody else just kinda want the crippled Stark and those other kids to get murdered already so we can just have a couple of cool storylines to focus on--The Wall, Arya, the bitch with the dragons, and the cunts of King's Landing? I mean seriously, let's get over it already, their whole family is dead, fuck Hodo.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I don't think the TV show has alluded to Snow having a royal lineage at all, it just makes a lot of sense from a plot standpoint. Ultimately, Ned Stark's bloodline has to get redemption somehow after the Red Wedding and all the other shit they've been through,
    oh does it? The main takeaway so far is that nobody necessarily gets what they deserve.

but the only person really in any place to do anything about it is Jon.
    "There is another Skywalker." Actually a couple. And for that matter just because we haven't heard much about Rickon doesn't mean he can't spring up from nowhere.

We're only partway through the middle acts, sir--at this point, nobody is where they're going to be when the end finally comes. No author builds up this much sympathy for a protagonist family like the Starks combined with hatred of their foils without there being a reversal of fortune come Act 3 (or 5, or 7 depending on what structure you want to use).

We're only partway through the middle acts, sir--at this point, nobody is where they're going to be when the end finally comes. No author builds up this much sympathy for a protagonist family like the Starks combined with hatred of their foils without there being a reversal of fortune come Act 3 (or 5, or 7 depending on what structure you want to use).
    His style isn't very traditional with regard to treating his characters so I'm not so sure we should assume this will have a traditional ending.

Hannah Murray's (Gilly) cool take on why Ygritte let Gilly live during the Mole Town massacre: "It feels like this beautiful female solidarity. Ygritte's story ends in Episode 9 and she'll never be a mother, but that doesn't mean she never wanted to be. That moment cuts through all the politics in the show and establishes a higher morality."

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...t?cmpid=ABC724
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    oh does it? The main takeaway so far is that nobody necessarily gets what they deserve.
    This. Honestly, considering GRRM's style, I am not convinced the Stark's will ever take back the North. I think the Stark's will get redemption, but that it will come through Arya and her list of names. I do think Bran will have an important role to play in the events to come though - I don't think GRRM would have his story line amount to nothing. Rickon on the other hand... I have no idea what will come of him. Where are him and Osha supposed to be going now, anyways?

Who the fuck is Rickon? Is that the cripple?

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Nobody really knows. SPOILER BUT NOT REALLY -- -- -- -- --Even through the end of book 5 it is only mentioned like once that he might be on some island called Skagos or something, which is east of the wall out in the narrow sea. I think. This shit is so damn nerdy, and yet, here I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

And Tim, despite the bullshit that you and my learned brother (who is also full of shit) exchanged on my FB, I can clearly see a path of "this is why certain people die" on this show. You're just interpreting the act sequence wrong. Ned Stark dying isn't the end of a multi-act segment--it's the end of Act 1 in a much longer plot.

Who the fuck is Rickon? Is that the cripple?
    Bran in the cripple. Rickon is youngest Stark.

And Tim, despite the bullshit that you and my learned brother (who is also full of shit) exchanged on my FB, I can clearly see a path of "this is why certain people die" on this show. You're just interpreting the act sequence wrong. Ned Stark dying isn't the end of a multi-act segment--it's the end of Act 1 in a much longer plot.
    End of Act 1 in the show is the Red Wedding. In the books I'd say it is the material that will make up the climax of this up coming episode.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Wrong.

Never said there wasn't a possibility of things tying up in a neat little bow.
    Just said that there's a distinct possibility it will not. This is an HBO show after all.

the BS on your fb post wasn't my thoughts, I said I was relaying a friend's opinion who has read all the books. Sure they could take the show in any direction they want and follow a conventional format leading up to a hollywood ending, but then again they could make this a big fucking tragedy as well.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 06-12-2014 at 09:54 AM.

I don't think it will be a Hollywood ending, but even tragic endings still follow conventions of plot and arc. The one thing I found interesting about the FB discussion was the issue of "what deems a character worthy of killing off?" It's easy to look at the way things have gone and say that RR just does whatever will fuck with the audience the most, but I see something different:

Those who don't play the Game die. Virtue buys you nothing in this world, nobody gives a shit if you're doing the "right" thing because there really is no right thing, this is just a world of people vying for power and control. The second that any theoretically virtuous character thinks they can circumvent the need for paranoia and mistrust of others, they get axed and rightfully so, because it's just stupid. You've been raised in this world of backstabbing and deception and nothing ever being what it seems, to think that you can come forward with the truth (Ned, the Red Wedding) and survive it is just silly--you die.

People also tend to get the axe or suffer defeat when they ignore sound advice that urges them to mind the Game. But ultimately I think the reason for both Ned's death and the Red Wedding is that frankly... they weren't terribly interesting characters. RR knows that the fascinating part of his world is the duplicity, this isn't some LOTR bullshit. This is The Wire.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Right. Ultimately it is a political show/story, it's just wearing a jacket with beards and dragons on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I don't think it will be a Hollywood ending, but even tragic endings still follow conventions of plot and arc. The one thing I found interesting about the FB discussion was the issue of "what deems a character worthy of killing off?" It's easy to look at the way things have gone and say that RR just does whatever will fuck with the audience the most, but I see something different:

Those who don't play the Game die. Virtue buys you nothing in this world, nobody gives a shit if you're doing the "right" thing because there really is no right thing, this is just a world of people vying for power and control. The second that any theoretically virtuous character thinks they can circumvent the need for paranoia and mistrust of others, they get axed and rightfully so, because it's just stupid. You've been raised in this world of backstabbing and deception and nothing ever being what it seems, to think that you can come forward with the truth (Ned, the Red Wedding) and survive it is just silly--you die.

People also tend to get the axe or suffer defeat when they ignore sound advice that urges them to mind the Game. But ultimately I think the reason for both Ned's death and the Red Wedding is that frankly... they weren't terribly interesting characters. RR knows that the fascinating part of his world is the duplicity, this isn't some LOTR bullshit. This is The Wire.
    yes this is all true and not being argued against, nor does it support any assumption of eventual vindication or even any sort of resolution for the Starks or anyone else.

Theon's story is a great example of Martin's sense of justice. Everyone wanted to see Theon suffer, but no one wants to see him suffer this much. Even if there is some sort of vindication for the Starks at the end, I doubt it will be the sort that we are used to. Martin loves cruel twists of irony way too much to let this thing go off into the sunset with everyone feeling ok about it

Only two likely endings to this series:

Either the nearly-supernatural Others and their zombies win, and the end looks the way Martin teased (maybe) in an interview with “just… snow blowing across the graves”. So, not a Hollywood ending. Very bleak, but why the hell not? So was the ending of the Sopranos, and of Oz before it (sticking with HBO here).

Or the Others are defeated by “fire” – probably a combo of dragons, obsidian (“dragonglass”) weapons, and some agency of the god of fire (R’hllor, to be extra-nerdy here) worshipped by that red priestess Melisandre who’s leading Stannis Baratheon around.

This second likely ending could be “Hollywood” in some sense, with any amount of satisfying revenge by various good guys (say, the remaining Starks) on bad guys, and/or people we’re rooting for – like Dany or Jon Snow or Arya – standing triumphantly as the credits roll.

Or it could be a sad Pyrrhic victory of sorts, with the world saved once again from the Others but few, if any, of the good guys we’ve invested in left, and no real justice achieved for things like the Red Wedding.

Along the way to whichever of these scenarios is the culmination of the story, though, I agree completely – it’s the duplicity of the human interactions, along with the tragic mistakes ensuing from ostensibly good and honorable intentions, which make the journey a fascinating though heartbreaking one that is not some LOTR bullshit. No spoiler, but the end of the last book so far completed (5) gins all that up to Red Wedding levels on several significant fronts for good and necessary story arc reasons, not just so Martin can do what fucks with the audience the most.

I’m pretty certain that Martin does, in fact, sympathize with his honorable and virtuous characters, especially the Starks, but terrible things happen to many or even most of them not because they are stupid (though sometimes they act stupidly) or are uninteresting characters, but because being honorable and virtuous – even when coupled with strength and power – makes you tremendously vulnerable when dealing with people who are not. It’s a cruel and unjust world, much like the real one, and Martin asks one of the big questions: how can you be, even why should you be, a good person in such a world, especially when doing so puts you and others at such risk? The answers he gives as the story unfolds are ambiguous, like the real world where there is no heaven or hell or a God to mete out ultimate justice, only what we have right here.

The existential war against the Others is the overarching frame of the story, so that’s where it has to end, but the real purpose of that war in the story, I think, is to cast in stark relief all the petty human squabbles and thus show how absurd and meaningless human duplicity and the savage struggle for power over other people ultimately is.

Or really it’s just another silly sword and sorcery epic, way too long like most of them, but at least being on HBO means there’s a lot of sex and exciting violence and beautiful scenery to look at.

The series is going to end with Tywin and Cersei and Jaime sitting in a diner, Tyrion will walk in late and then everything will cut to black.