Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

old school

Default Re: HBO greenlights Game of Thrones!

Ooooh, that gave me chills. Less than a month to go!

Game of Thrones season one dvd and blu-ray %50 off today on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ame+of+thrones

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    Game of Thrones season one dvd and blu-ray %50 off today on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ame+of+thrones
    OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH. Already ordered.

So in regards to my very half-baked half-assed "theory" about the wildling symbol. I am almost embarrassed to mention what I think of it because it is so very loosely based upon a very very rough "understanding" of the back-story events from the last two books. So, without fleshing out all of the details because I inevitably will get the times, names, and places wrong from the books, the minor connection I drew is this:

If you notice the pin-like decor Daenerys' and Viserys' outfits in the show, it is very similar to the wildling symbol in the snow, basically, a circle with a line in it. Granted, the top of the pin has wings such as a dragon fly or something, but if you look at a screen grab of the symbol in the snow, at the bottom of the symbol bodies seem to be loosely arranged in a similar fashion.
    And basically, as a big summary, at the end of book four and in book five, we learn just how much ALL of this started by the powers that be in the eastern continent (and/or by the powers that be in westeros that have fingers and birds in the eastern continent), the same powers that are "in control" of Daenerys and Viserys.

So, extrapolate from that what you will. I've fleshed out the theory a bit more in my head, but I always confuse even myself with my lack of concrete knowledge/memory of the very fine details in regards to what we recently learned about about Varys, the fat dude who ate cheese and drank wine and helped out Tyrion, LittleFinger, etc.
    Basically, all of these heavy hitters have manipulated this whole saga from the very very get-go even before the events in book 1, chances are those same players are very much directly related to the events beyond the wall.

So yeah, please don't knock me for these thoughts. As I said, it is hardly a theory at all, with not much to back it up other than a weak similarity between the symbol in the snow and the pins/symbols in the eastern continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Working my way through Dance with Dragons right now. It's been quite a roller coaster of a series so far. The amount of characters he keeps introducing is getting to be a bit much, and I have no idea how I'm going to keep it all in my head in the interim before the next book comes out (at least five years). Big fan of the HBO series as well.

o hai Grey Wind

No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

picked this up at lunch from Target. Same price as amazon (34.99) but comes with a bonus disc of more behind the scenes stuff on visual effects (which i'll probably never watch...)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

watched the first 2 episodes last night. I know i read the first book almost 6 months ago, but did Bran really wake up that fast? The show seems to be moving thru the story at a very quick pace, i don't know how anyone that hasn't read the book can keep up with the show. so many characters.

overall i think it's really well done though and i'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season of the weekend. I must seek out the mini-doc on the opening credits. one of the best sequences i've seen in a long time.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    watched the first 2 episodes last night. I know i read the first book almost 6 months ago, but did Bran really wake up that fast? The show seems to be moving thru the story at a very quick pace, i don't know how anyone that hasn't read the book can keep up with the show. so many characters.

overall i think it's really well done though and i'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season of the weekend. I must seek out the mini-doc on the opening credits. one of the best sequences i've seen in a long time.
    I don't really remember Bran staying in a coma for any outstanding length of time in the book...what is a mini-doc btw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    what is a mini-doc btw?

"short documentary," he's referring to one of the featurettes on the dvd/blue ray set.

I am ecstatic to watch this show FINALLY. My gf read 4 of the books over the past 3 months and she's crazy about them. She bought the dvd set yesterday, and we're house-sitting this weekend for people with a crazy big tv.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Is this thread safe to read again, or is Amyzzzz still dropping spoilers from books 2 on?

I don't really remember Bran staying in a coma for any outstanding length of time in the book...
    I could be mistaken about that. what surprised me about the show moving so fast through the King's visit to Winterfell is that the interactions between the kids in the books really seem to be only hinted at or glossed over altogether. The Starks and The Lannisters (mostly Joffrey) relationship is first established in the book via the games/training that happened at Winterfell. I guess he gets to show what a little prick he is when trying to show off to Sansa and also just before his uncle slaps the shit out of him for not wanting to pay his respects to Ned and Cat after Bran's fall.

..what is a mini-doc btw?
    what drinkey said.

mmm LTD Targareyan Blu Ray - $35 @ best buy, plus you can get dvd or blu-ray copies of the first episode for a penny. Buy extras, pass out to friends! No need to have someone fuck up another season set of a show (RIP MR SHOW DVDS )

Also the coasters aren't bad for 6 bucks.

what are the coasters made of? are they cardboard bar-like coasters or better quality?

Kinda like cork board with a glossy picture on top
    4 of them each with their own house symbol

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    "short documentary," he's referring to one of the featurettes on the dvd/blue ray set.

I am ecstatic to watch this show FINALLY. My gf read 4 of the books over the past 3 months and she's crazy about them. She bought the dvd set yesterday, and we're house-sitting this weekend for people with a crazy big tv.
    enjoy!! i watched the whole first season in one day. it was just too good to wait.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

For those that didn't get the Bluray

This page has links to all the narrated House histories (except Arryn):
    http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...61.html#cutid1
    All the narrated histories are really well done! I especially loved the four different perspectives on the Sack of King's Landing. I'm sure the others will be uploaded soon.

And this page has links to all 6 of the cast auditions that were the hidden "dragon's eggs":
    http://ondyne.tumblr.com/post/189157...lusive-blu-ray

If you wanna watch them on the BR you have to click on the features section of the pop-up menu during certain scenes, then scroll down and click on the egg. The ones I've found so far:

Harry (Viserys) is during the scene when the first show off Dany to Drogo in Ep 1.

Rory (the Hound) is when Littlefinger tells Sansa the story of the Mountain and the Hound in Ep 4.

Miltos (Syrio) is during his first scene at the very end of Ep 3.

Jason (Drogo) is during his rape and pillage speech in Ep 7.

Still haven't found Sansa and Arya yet

I don't know why but I could stare at these gifs all day

Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Watched the entirety of season 1 this weekend. Totally and utterly obsessed. i want to watch it again.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

For those that have read the books, how close in age/look are the characters to how you pictured them in your head? HBO totally should've consulted us on this!

Cat (and Ned) are too old - Great actress, but she's gotta be in her 40s, right? If Robb is supposed to be 16 and women normally wed by the time they "bleed" then her age is off. I always pictured her closer to Cersei's age (and Cersei is perfect in this show...if I was her brother, i'd do her too)

Hodor - I don't think his age is ever referenced in the books, but I always pictured him in late teens/early 20s

Syrio - Is he Dothraki? Why does he look Mexican?

Jamie Lannister - He's the only character on the show that looks better than the way i pictured him in my head. For some reason, every time I read about his "golden hair" i pictured Jericho from Teen Titans.

Heather mentioned that she pictured cat being much prettier in the books. She also said that Peter Dinklage is much more handsome than Tyrion was described in the books.

For such an adult show, it's probably for the better that they age up a good number of the characters though. Daenerys, for example, just wouldn't have worked they way they wanted had they kept her age the same.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    For those that have read the books, how close in age/look are the characters to how you pictured them in your head? HBO totally should've consulted us on this!

Cat (and Ned) are too old - Great actress, but she's gotta be in her 40s, right? If Robb is supposed to be 16 and women normally wed by the time they "bleed" then her age is off. I always pictured her closer to Cersei's age (and Cersei is perfect in this show...if I was her brother, i'd do her too)

Hodor - I don't think his age is ever referenced in the books, but I always pictured him in late teens/early 20s

Syrio - Is he Dothraki? Why does he look Mexican?

Jamie Lannister - He's the only character on the show that looks better than the way i pictured him in my head. For some reason, every time I read about his "golden hair" i pictured Jericho from Teen Titans.
    GRRM has mentioned that he feels like he made them all to be too young in the first book. That's why in later volumes there is no mention of age for any of them. This translated in the HBO version having all the Stark children older.

New Character Featurette for Season 2.

Renly

Another video for Season 2! This time on weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Heather mentioned that she pictured cat being much prettier in the books. She also said that Peter Dinklage is much more handsome than Tyrion was described in the books.

For such an adult show, it's probably for the better that they age up a good number of the characters though. Daenerys, for example, just wouldn't have worked they way they wanted had they kept her age the same.
    yeah, good point. After she loses her hair, i already pictured her as Jim Lee X-Tinction Agenda bald Storm so in my mind she was already older even though she is a young girl in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    GRRM has mentioned that he feels like he made them all to be too young in the first book. That's why in later volumes there is no mention of age for any of them. This translated in the HBO version having all the Stark children older.
    I didn't know that, that makes sense.

Dany

Jon

Joff

and the new trailer "The More You Love"

With Coachella and Game of Thrones, April is the best month of the year. Fuck that December shit.

A man sees, a man knows